Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

my necro sucks ***

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by phl0w, Apr 7, 2004.

1. phl0w

phl0w IncGamers Member

my necro sucks ***

hi everybody...
    after playing sorc-only and some palas too, i decided on building a necro for the first time. since it's my first one, i searched the forum for a suitable build, that would fit my needs (solo-ing hell and no necro gear to looking forward to at ALL!)
    first i was torn between a bonemancer and a hybrid summoner/bonemancer. i started to build this hybrid from angst. my necro is now lvl 70 thanks to 8 player baal runs. so far so good. the problem is solo, where he kills very, very slowly, doing 400dmg with a 28 bone spear (no synergies yet, except 10BA and 7BW)isn't exactly what a mancer should be happy about, should he!?.
    my question: i doubt that a maxed out bone spear/bone spirit is enough for hell (which i'm about to enter by now, being lvl 70). up to date i got the following skills: +28 SM, +3 skele, +3 mage, +3 revive, +1 CG,+1 BG, +1 IG, +1 summon resi, +1 golem mastery, +1 BA, +1 BW...
    +1 in each curse except lower resist and +10 CE ...
    i skilled CE on my own, after i saw what damage it inflicts (angst's build doesn't skill CE)

now i was wondering whether to go for the bone synergies (maxing BSpirit and BWall) or maxing CE and something useful(?) ...

i'm happy about any advice, even if that means deleting him and starting all over again ^^

ohn, and i'm planning on using TO, as soon as i've found the armor, that is =/

thx in advance

2. Moridin

Moridin IncGamers Member

Personally, I think the Bone skills are all-or-nothing...may just be me though. One build that works really well is Gvandale's Poison/Summonmancer, you can look it up. In fact, I'm building one right now :lol: .

My pure Bonemancer does okay in Hell, the killing is a bit slow though...on the plus side, he rarely ever dies! (Go Gumby!) Mana is also an issue for me though, as my Bonemancer was built with the base strength Enigma Breastplate build.

3. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

Hi there!

Firstly, I would say no more points in Bone Armor, you actually get better results by putting points into Wall or Prison.

Am I reading you correctly? You have Skeleton Mastery to Lvl. 28? If that's true, put some points into Raise Skeleton, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

And I cant over-emphasize the utility of Dim Vision. Get it up there, and you can blind an entire screen while you bombard them with Spears. Not to mention you'll make friends with every Meteor Sorceress who comes your way.

You should do OK, I wish I could help you more. Are you using Marrowalks? You didn't list Bone Prison as a skill, and it would seem ideal for you.

one last thing: what's "TO"?

Hope I helped.

4. phl0w

phl0w IncGamers Member

first of all, thx for the quick response...
    @moridin: what's your BSpirit/Spear lvl (+synergies) and how much damage is done?
    @aegon: you _are_ reading correctly, i maxed SM. i didn't put more points into skeles because i couldn't see how much damage they do... it says attack 500, defense 500, damage +14 percent... but no actual damage values.
    dim vision does make sense, yeah. with +skills i have each curse on +4... in the case of dim vision thats 6.4secs within 4.6yards... how many additional points are useful?
    my BA,BW lvls are +skills, i only put +1 into each of them as pre-req for BPrison.

if i read you two correctly, then i will max BPrison for bone synergies and put some points into DVision and Skeles (how much) and forget about the CE thing, right (it's great for baal's minions and other crowded places though, should be called chain reaction ;) )?

again, thanks alot

ps. TO is Trang-Oul's Set

5. ranvage

ranvage IncGamers Member

Unfortunately your skeles won't do any dmg without points in the skill itself, it's almost mandatory to max both for nearly every skele based summoner build.

Mastery isn't enough on it's own.

6. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

I think this clarifies your troubles. You went with a bone/summoner hybrid but didn't stick with one or the other during the actual building.

Your necro is pretty close to what my original necro looked like and it struggled in nightmare and was worthless in hell. My current necro just finished Hell today, not a couple of hours ago and is truly a summoner/bonemancer hybrid.

The key is keeping your discipline in the first 50 levels. It's slow going and you will feel that you need to boost things by adding golems or curses or bone skills. Max your skeleton warriors and skeleton mastery. Place some points in curses from amp to decrep (I put no more than 3 in both amp and decrep). One point only in clay golem and golem mastery, no other golems.

After this you can finally start on your bone skills. I was pretty close to level 60 went I decided on my hybrid so I hit teeth and then maxed my bone spear. At level 84 I'm about to max my bone spirit. I've also added marrows to amp my bone spear.

My skellies can handle nearly everything with some resummoning in heavy combat. Add in my bonespear and you can whip through uniques and bosses pretty quick.

I suggest that you start over. Remember, discipline.

7. Dr.G

Dr.G IncGamers Member

I am building a summon/bone necromancer and now I am in NM and at lvl 48 and as of now most of my points are in summon and I have a point in bwall, 3 in teeth, 1 in ce and like 3-4 in BS and it does crap.

My plan is after I finish maxing SM and getting decep, I am going to start hitting my bone skills then I will use the marrowwalk bug since I dont have any points in prision....

8. Hatebreed.

Hatebreed. IncGamers Member

ok kinda off topic but here: ive heard of the marrow bug alot, but by reading i never figured out exactly wat it was, could u tel me??

i havnt done one but imo a good hybrid setting curses aside (still use them tho)

max

SM+rasie skele (mages if u like)
    then max teeth+spear+another synergy (perferably spirit)

it mite not be good, but im pretty sure ur skeles coulda survive well (and ull have around 14-16 with gear)

and spear shuld do a descent amount of dmg for not being pure p/b mancer

9. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

Basically, if you have all the prerequisites for Bone Prison, but have NO POINTS in it, once you equip Marrowalks, all of your skills will be synergized as if the charges in the Marrowalks were actual points you invested in Bone Prison. Awesome stuff.

10. LPCinder

LPCinder IncGamers Member

Hi I'm also making a bone/summon necro. I'm playing with my friend who's a pala avenger and kills everything (even hell) in about 2-3 hit. As we play together I decided to put the stress on summoning. Now we're act 3 hell and we call ourselves "the wave". Everthing that comes our way gets butchered in no time. I maxed skel mast and raise skel, i went for many revives (very handy imo) as u keep them constantly alive. And then u might think what about the bosses. Well all these revives/skels might die except good old clay golem. Even surrounded by 20 enemies he doesn't die, insane life there. So u can imagine: clay golem and decrep on duriel= stand still duriel. I wear the trangoul set that gives the firewall bonus (very handy imo). Add some bonespears and bye bye duriel. It's really crazy. About the set (it has 25% dmg reduce when u have complete set) that's a very handy bonus. As a merc I took a thorns. So let those guys hit my skels etc. They just hit hemselves.

My merc wears tals mask (life leech) shaftstop (dmg reduction) and a good spear. Needless to say he does massive dmg and almost doesn't die (3 times so far)

ps: thanks to the to set (with a pdiamond in it) i now have 75% to all resists in hell.

11. flapserdk

flapserdk IncGamers Member

Kill your Necro

A skelliebone necro is not a good idea, because you have to invest a lot of points in the bone tree. My slvl ** Bonemancer has : Teeth 7, Spear max, Spirit max, Prison 15, Wall 14, Bone armor 3.

With Wizard Spike (PvP) my spear does 1830-1938 damage, and Spirit is 2310-2480

With Boneshade (PvM), Spear 2302-2450 and Spirit 2659-2847

Your main problem is the low Spear damage, and you wont be able to kill anything in Hell, and you don?t have enough skillpoints to improve the damage significant.

In my opinion sack your necro and build a new one.

My slvl ** pure bonemancer is a mean mother****er both solo and also in 8-player.

My key for success is my fast castrate (130%), which means that my Bone spear is like a Gatling gun.

I have spend some points i CL (7 points) and GM (6 points), and when you combine CL with Decrepify, the monsters are almost unable to move or attack. The point is, that you don?t have to invest many points in CM and CL, because the monsters attackspeed is extremely slow, and therefore your low level CL can survive for a long time.

CL is the Boners best friend, because the monsters are standing in a big crow around my CL, while I?m firing Bone Spears like a madman, and when the first monster goes down, I switch to AD and then CE, and goodbye monsters.

NB ! You don?t? have to invest many points in BA, because it receive synergies from BW and BP. If you choose the Bone way, then put 3-7 points in BA, and pump a lot of points in BW and BP, because Spear and Spirit receive synergies from BW and BP.

Good Luck

Necro King

12. phl0w

phl0w IncGamers Member

again, thx for all your advice
    all of you are right, and even those who didn't say, that i should start a new one, well, they meant it ;) even though he rocks in certain situations, there's too many, he just can't handle... not even speaking of hell *sigh*

what i appreciated the most was, that _nobody_ flamed me or -on some level- called me a noob who doesn't know how to build necros after 3 years dia2. nice community in this forum, thx

[email protected]: i assume that by CL you meant ClayGolem!?

13. LPCinder

LPCinder IncGamers Member

he sure did ;-)

14. EuroJamie

EuroJamie IncGamers Member

Is this a necro skill I'm unfamiliar with? Or perhaps a new build: The Bobbit-mancer... :scratch:

15. (dr)

(dr) IncGamers Member

OMG...ROFL RIFFFKKKIGNGGGNG
    thats the funniest thing i've heard all day.

16. Hatebreed.

ur luky, u got boneshade............i dont see how u do good with only 1k-3k dmg in hell, do u mean overall u kick *** or really fast u do?? cuz thats not alot of dmg

17. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

With that cast rate he can dish out a lot of damage. Probably more than if he upped the damage.

18. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

Maybe it's just me but I think he can do an awful lot of damage with a high castrate also.

19. Hatebreed.

thats wat he said :spy:

20. deadbeater

deadbeater IncGamers Member

It happens. You get stuck in between what you want to do with your character, and you find your character not affecting anything in Hell. Also, a build that was godly in 1.09 is not necessarily the way to go in 1.10. {Why do I need to add all those sacrifice levels for my zealot?}

You should be able to make your character a solo nightmare runner. I know, a big letdown after your character became patriarch; but some of the best items can be found there. Alternately, you can salvage your character with more levels in summon skeleton, and adding Decrepify as well. Or, having all the curses, just join games, curse the monsters out, and stay out of the way while your allies happily kill. Your character is not entirely useless.