Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My necro issues/questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Dancolen, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

My necro issues/questions

Used to play back in 1.05, 1.08 days, left before 1.10, and just recently came back. 1.10 seems to have changed quite a bit.

Necros never used to have minions that could do anything in act 3 nightmare... I see thats changed. They were just an ok wall back then... and revives were the ultimate wall.. I see the skellies are now the ultimate wall.. although the wall attacks now :)

I came back, and made a summoner, friends said it was still the best build to make pure(meaning having no twink items). Started raising him, have had little to no problems with the build.. the skellies have been immortal mostly since the beginning of the game, but in Nightmare, I dont think ive had but... 10 skellies die going through all 5 acts. Currently 58 with a 58 merc from nm(might). Havent killed baal yet, but have all Waypoints for nm and norm.

The necro does fine, but I noticed a few key problems.

1. Can never remember his name, Korlic I think spawned with stone skin.. and as such, was immune to physical after amp damage.. which posed to be around a 19 minute battle or longer.... with Talic dying around minute 3 or 4, and Madawc around minute 2. Talic and Madawc desposed of 3 of my 4 mages while controlling and killing them and so I only had one mage, the fire dmg on my merc's weapon and the Fire Golem I summoned after Talic and Madawc were dead. Any recommendations for dealing with physical immunity after amp ... or are mages and a fire golem it..?

2. Lightning casters. Gloams and other flying invisible menaces. Even with 75 lightning resist, 75 resist all except for cold at 59, gloams can take over half my HP in one combined shot and sometimes almost kill me with my measely 350 life. Do i need to look into max lightning resist increasing items and what are good ideas for a poor necro non ladder who started from scratch? (they just never seemded to be a problem before in 1.08... /shrug. Now they hurt more than I remember)

3. Cursing isnt really heavy on the mana with amp, sometimes it drains pretty fast though with Decryp and CE. I have around 500 mana at the moment and 160 in energy, how much more do you recommend in energy... In the old days, Id pump energy well up to 250, and have frostburns often or not. Now I dont have frosties and really looking like I may need to be pumping Vit some more for these long range casters.

Dancolen, USEast

100 str
    25 dex
    50ish.. vit
    150-160ish energy

20 RS
    20 SM
    5? CE
    4? in S Resist
    1 into all summon skills
    1 into bone armor
    1 in all curses except iron madien, life tap, and lower resist(getting later after CE is bigger)

Had a 2 necro skills wand bought from akar, found eyeless on lister in norm, found wormskull on a unique in a5 i think. Made smoke armor for resists, made the ancients pledge shield for resists. Got nokozon relic, and the rest is rare rings/feet/etc I believe with resists being the main focus, though weak at the moment.

A friend recently gave me an arm of King Leoric? so im not really pure no more... but pretty close.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Shr00mtrip

Shr00mtrip IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum!

As per the Arreat Summit... an amazing website, you should take a look.
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act5-superuniques.shtml

"Talic is Fire Enchanted so Necromancers can take advantage of this enchantment by using a Fire Golem and Iron Maiden. Talic will take damage from the curse and the Golem will be healed by the Fire Damage. Talic will eventually kill himself.

In Nightmare and Hell, as with all Unique enemies, the Ancients get random Unique modifiers. If you find yourself overwhelmed with the random modifiers that the game has selected, you can open a Town Portal to "reroll" them until you get something more manageable"

Don't know if you have tried that town portal trick, but if not... give it a try. I'm not sure if he spawns that way every single time.

Something else you might want to do is invest that one point in Life Tap. It will basically make your Skellies invincible... as long as they are hitting.

Something else you might consider is the IG/Blood Golem Combo for him. Don't know exactaly if it reflects physical damage or how that works but it's worth a shot.

Another possibility is to get some Tal runes and throw them into an eth polearm with sockets (easily found in cow games). The poision damage should make short work of the last ancient.

Also, it seems that your build is a bit mana heavy. Personally I would opt for around 70 in energy and go with Frosties. But since you are untwinked, you probably have enough as it is. You really should start pumping Vitality, or atleast socket your armor with rubys and get a few life charms, which again are easily found in cow games.

Hope this helps, good luck to ya.

EDIT: Whoops, almost forgot... For the Lightning baddies... you might want to get a 3/4socket shield with 3/4 Ptopaz or Ort Runes... pritty sure it's Ort... anyways that should give you a lot of lightning resist.

3. Dancolen

The problem isnt the lightning resist really, its the fact that even 75(capped) resist, still leaves me with only 5-6 shots of lightning killing me. Just wondered if its better to look into stuff that raises the cap or invest heavily in vit.. where id like to be investing in mana cause it runs dry CEing alot and decryping.

Talic is the fire one, Korlic is the Polearm one, I killed him absolutely no problem at all as it said.. it just took... 19minutes.

Thought they nerfed IM/BG?

But thanks for the reply anyway.
    Will be getting lower resist soon.. after 5 more points in CE or so. That will get IM and LT too, so will try those out. Skellies arent having trouble staying alive atm anyway, merc dies on diablo tho to red lightning hose.... skellies take it in stride and laugh at D and keep hitting.

4. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

few tricks vs. bosses. decrep+clay golem is a pretty nasty combo. since you are doing skeleton warriors, I almost dont' see the point of mages. however, do as you like. a pair of marrows+a bone spell makes for a nice boost, too. spirit is my favorite, but most like spear. really, you have more than enough points to max both. as far as gloams...bleh. +max resist is your best friend. given that you are poor (and it looks like *really* poor), the cheapest option you have is holy thunder in a 4 socket scepter. it gives mega lightning resist and +max, although most of the rest of the mods are pretty much useless to you.

I think you have too much mana, so maybe more life for sure? my summoner/poison guy on ladder has base mana and over 800 at his level, but shako/wiz spike helps that (found both with him. makes a godly pit runner). try looking for a good 2 socket wand, and make a white in it. +poison and bone and skelly mastery=good stuff for ya. Hope this was helpful.
    --welt

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

My own necro uses both his mages (lvl 39 mastery, lvl 36 mages) and the firewalls provided by trangs to deal with hard PIs. If such a hard PI is both physical and fire immune it takes a while to whittle him down...

Another option is to go bonespirit instead of mages: not counting +skills, lvl 20 spirit does around 400 damage. Marrows add 198% to that, bringing it to 1200 per shot.
    The lack of poison might require you to look for another way to prevent their regeneration --- don't know whether this a problem.

6. NefariousNothing

NefariousNothing IncGamers Member

Hey.. I've got a some stuff you might be interested in; I rarely play NL, and I'm on east as well. I've got full trangs and some other nice things, if you're interested. Reply here in the thread! I have too many accounts, so that would be your best bet. :)

7. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

If you're untwinked than maxing DV isn't a bad idea. You can cast it at the edges of the screen and blind monsters before they can fire at you.

Most people don't put any points in Energy and rely upon some items and pots. Or they pump Energy to 50 and then let items and pots take care of it. Seldom is it raised beyond 50. For a Skelliemancer you can probably keep it at base.

8. Dancolen

Nefar, I would take anything youd want to give me, but dont if you dont want to, you worked hard for that stuff too.
    Account name is *Dancolen

Not having any trouble with bosses, just immunes to phys and lightning casters. Normal bosses were a little.... tough... Andy took down all but 3 skellies due to no summon resist before she bit it, it was damage vs damage and I won, since neither of us had defense :p

Why so little in energy now, even for untwinked? I have 500mana like i said, and although its perfectly fine for skellies and amp to have 200mana.. when I start Decryping and CEing, the mana goes faster than.. I remember necros having 400 life and 2000 mana back in 1.05.... you dont want that much mana anymore?

So I should make white wand and use it over arm of king leoric?
    And here was the basic idea of this necro...

20 RS
    20 SM
    1 all summoning skills(8)
    1 all curses(10)
    1 to Teeth
    1 to Bone Armor
    20 CE
    add to summon resist as needed(max 4 points additional)
    and.... umm the rest of the points.. /shrug?
    60 + 8 + 10 + 6
    84 points
    lvl 72 finish
    15ish extra points left over.
    maybe 19... but guess 87 is a good round number for reality.

Of course, as you get twinked.... the 4 points extra into Clay Golem, Summon Resist, Dim Vision, Amp, and Decryp dont seem needed as much.. but seem nice untwinked, but havent dumped into anything but summon resist atm, which is at 3 or 4 base, 6 or 7 I think modded.

9. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Most people just rely on items to boost their mana. Take for example the Insight runeword. It gives a level 12-17 Meditation aura. Even Bonemancers who depend on mana for damage don't pump Energy very much. Your Skelliemancer can just down a potion when he needs some mana.

No. AoKL is the best wand for a Skelliemancer.

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Can't comment on untwinked, but my pure Skelemancer, lvl 91, currently has 799 mana with base energy. His mana pool refills quite fast, so I almost never take a drink --- after all, CE takes down hordes of monsters in just a few casts, after which there is a break anyway. With strength for gear and dex at base he has 1158 life.

This isn't a bonemancer --- a Skelemancer is far less mana intensive, even with curses, CE and Gumby-positioning.

I tend to run out of mana in places like River of Flame, where corpse explosion usually hits the baby worms, which don't do much damage. I also like to cast firewalls on act bosses, as long as my mana permits :) Also, when rushing a mule, I blow up all corpses in Catacombs 4 so they don't get revived --- the mule would be a one-hit kill even for a Fallen :)

White is pretty much a bonemancer wand. AoKL is the Skelemancer wand.

I wouldn't do that, but then again --- I would never play untwinked. Even at the start of the ladder I built for proper endgame gear, which I traded for :)

11. Dancolen

well its only 3 base I believe, 6 modded.
    everything else has 1 in it unless its being maxed.
    Almost no investment in Bone tree atm.

want to ask why blizzard made skellies unkillable :) The mages die to a few hits NM, but .... the skellies just ... DONT die...
    Lvl 62 now, put 2 more in CE, then 1 in IM, 1 in LT, next is 1 in LR then ill have all my curses. Picked up Trang's gloves in Worldstone lvl 2 and sanders boots as well which ill porbably trade.. I like my 37 fire resist, 25 lightning resist 20% faster run walk boots.

Insight is only available on Ladder, this char is NL.
    I will make a ladder char, and actually have a lvl 34 necro on ladder same build, but found out the ladder is ending soon, so theres no point. when the new ladder starts, will make this same build on ladder again.

Still cant see untwinked necro not having at least 120 energy... it goes extremely fast from CEing and decryping
    398 life now or so btw.

Hmm kill baal now or lvl to 70 /grin
    Merc still bites it on Diablo, but survives 90% of time otherwise. Has Grim's Burning Dead, Rattlecage, and Duskdeep atm. The Grim's a gift from a friend again.

12. NefariousNothing

It's cool man.. I'm offering. :) When's best for you, generally? Sorry I missed you if you were on earlier. :/

On another note -- No one knows exactly when the ladder is going to end. Hell, it never could, for all we know. I'm looking forward to it, actually. :)

13. Dancolen

Far as today, except for having to go mow yard, i can be on anytime pretty much.
    USEast right?
    Usually 5pm-midnight ish, playtime. weekends can be odd sometimes tho.

14. NefariousNothing

Yup, USEast. I'm on right now, and I've got lots of goodies for ya, free of charge. :clap:

15. Dancolen

what name? im online

and any suggestion by anyone for those last 19 points or so?

16. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

All rest points into mages as a maxed out skelly mastery would mean they contribute dmg and act as meatshields/distractions in Hell ^^ and also assist in dealing with hard PIs that amplify dmg couldn't break