Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My name is Wirt

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by twillight, Jun 2, 2015.

1. twillight

twillight IncGamers Member

When I'll end my current 1.07 druid , I will be finished with1.07 for a lifetime. It is just too much of a bother with the CD and the lack of GoMule.

To "celebrate" 1.13 I thought why not go to the extreme and do a character who only uses Wirt's Leg?
    Naturally this will include some ... reloading to roll finally a healthy rare, but would be interesting nonetheless, especially if when a roll is accepted, it is accepted.

Once I had a similar go with a Shocker paladin (1.13) who only used an upped Hellforge Hammer, and got stuck at Hell Ancients for lack of damage. It was self-finding go, no hrs or special charms.

Question is, if this character would be self-finder too what build should it be?
    Considering that upping Wirt's Leg is pointless, as it'd simply transform to an regular axe.

The obvious choice again Shocker Pala sounds to be, but how about a Frenzy Barb? But than that'd need to successful roll of charsi-quest...

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Farting Bob patted a wirtadin back in the day, I believe, after modding the game so he could dual wield two of them. I seem to remember the merc getting most of the kills.

Edit: if you search for Wirtadin, you'll get back many results.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    twillight likes this.
  3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I made a Wirtadin back in 1.09, using some crazy rules. You cannot use two Legs though, so frenzy is out.

Edit: I don't seem to have done a write-up of my Wirtadin here. I can find it on another site, but not here. There was some stupid rules about using only Act 1 mercs and stuff, I took the rules from here, but if all seems to be fubar at the moment.

Edit 2: I tracked down a copy of the rules I made it by

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/threads/wirts-leg-paladin.481399/#post-4652905

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

There's a handful of builds that can easily complete the game naked, but you'd end up carrying the leg like an Olympic torch. If you actually want to swing Wirt's appendage, you might get away with a Frostzealot if you ShaelShaelShael it. Actually with some healthy CB gear and a Prayer/Insight merc that doesn't sound too terrible.

5. twillight

Created the character, will do mostly onepass unless problem occurs. Will of course MF later. 1.13 patch installed, working on no-cd. First wp reached.

[​IMG]

Hew and Jocular like this.
  6. GooberGrape

Is there a reason why he's wielding not-Wirts-leg? So confused.

pharphis likes this.
  7. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

He has only reached the Cold Plains so far.

8. twillight

Because you need to advance quite long before you can get access to it.

Here is the one found for Act 1, neither unsocketed, nor 3sox:

[​IMG]

This is at Jail 1, fortunately got an extra quitpoint, because here is 1:00 AM

9. twillight

When finding a 2 sox ringmail I thought, let's go back for TalEth, but there was no longer a quitpoint (not that for a test-character this should matter in the long run, but still, why not make it as interesting as i can), but still went back to test my luck. While Eth did not fall (Tal was the quest reward), got a Ral. Then I thought why not.

[​IMG]

Hew likes this.
  10. twillight

To dissolve some myths:
    - while I searched for "wirtadin", there aren't "many" results. Neither is one completing Hell diff.
    - no character is capable doing the game naked. You'll need two things: survival (hp +resists), and damage. Not all character can have enough damage, for example a schocker pala using upped horadric staff can NOT finish the game no matter what (at least untwinked) because of Hell Ancients regenerate faster than it can deal damage (or can't suffer the damage long enough?). And that had a fully-upped (elite) weapon socketed (that's 10% faster, mich higher damage weapon than a 3*shael wirt's leg).
    - insight merc for shocker? Don't be ridiculous. 2 mana per hit should be covered by manasteal, not by insight.
    - the link while appreciated shows a heavily twinked buggeddin, which used Convinction combined with Holy Shock, which is no longer an option (the character is 1.09).
    - Holy Freeze demands heavy twinking by the look. Big no-no.
    - there's actually a blog about a finished 2002 wirtadin, but it is unreadable.

Without further ado after completing the staff I went to update my equipment: TelEth armor and 3 sox wirt's leg:
    [​IMG]

11. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

So what are your plans? You could always rely on a lucky weapon for your merc, but then it would be Wirtadin, the Cheerleader rather than the Conquerer.

12. Naturallog

Naturallog IncGamers Member

You can certainly kill ancients with any weapon, their regen is stopped by open wounds. As long as you can take their damage, you'll end up winning eventually. If you can find an Um (and 3os armor) you can use Duress for open wounds. Crafted blood belts also provide 5-10% chance of open wounds. Keep OW up and you'll eventually win. You might need an item with teleport charges to split them up and fight one at a time.

As for merc weapon, I'd go with insight on a prayer merc to help you stay healed. Wirt's leg isn't going to steal any appreciable amount of health or mana. Insight also has a healthy amount of damage and uses cheap runes, so it's better than just a mana fountain.

13. twillight

We'll see what comes to the merc which'll probably be Might, but I assure you with reasonably good equipment that past character had not enough damage against Hell Ancients, so that'll be my main focus. Unfortunately the site I stored my progress for it got shot down.

I have no idea how or if I will be able to steal mana, but 2 per 5 hit should not be a real problem even with Wirt's Leg.
    But it is clear on the long run (ti: beyond Normal diff) no matter what stuff the merc has, the player must do the job, the merc isn't sufficient.

Plan is to reach Nightmare Countess with current OrtOrtOrt, where grind for ShaelShaelShael to pass Nightmare. Skill development will be Zeal -> Holy Shock -> Sacrifice -> Prot from lightning -> Sanctuary. And for Hell I'll re-imbue Wirt's Leg until my eye fall out and have a fools/grinding + we'll see result. So ye,basically I'll "hope" for a good weapon for myself. Thought that was obvious.

But if I beat @colony what is nm-hephasto, I'll be glad already.

[​IMG]

14. GooberGrape

I'd allow it. Wirtadin gets plenty of style points, even with a strong merc it's still a cool build.

15. twillight

Always forget to mention but the drawing of the characters are pretty weak. They not just"stand" where they stand, but they are where the whole character is drawn.
    Also, the weapon-range works"funny", as many times I try to zeal it hits only once, makes the noise of sacrifice, and takes the full mana for zeal. The cause is without doubt the small weapon-range of Wirt's Leg.

Also, this time encountered a group of beings spawned at inaccessible area:
    [​IMG]

Itemfind: Duskdeep.

--------------

EDIT:
    Act 4 down. The AI got corrupted and did not take notice of the merc, which maybe made things somewhat cheaper, but much more dangerous. Lvl 36, 125 on life. Diablo dropped Hsarus boots, which I only mention for being better than what I had. SinglePass isn't really generous for items.
    Come to think of it, I could also craft Wirt's leg instead of imbuing. The guaranteed 4 affixes + fixed stats from lvl 71 sounds attractive in comparsion to 2-6 random attibute (because you have to have the right affixes the more the better).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  16. twillight

1 million gold,and Anya is rescued:

[​IMG]
    Found a 2 sox 23 allres pala shield, so far the best. I don't remember any time finding auto-chromatic pala shield ever.

The WP is pretty far, but full stash. Not to mention the AI gone corrupt, and it is not healthy frenzytaur mobs aiming only you. Well, I'll just run through for the sake of fun.

HS giving the more dmg, I changed my mind about rising Sacrifice immediately. That'll only get the extra points until light res is finished, and the merc will be let to dispose the immuns. Hope so.

17. twillight

Until now I got my mana the old fashioned way: potions. Stopped twice since the last post: Glacial trail (close exit) and WSKlvl2 (dumping equipment).
    The ancients were easily done in p8 as you can see:

[​IMG]

Funny fact: my AR equaled with the maximum damage of holy shock:

[​IMG]

Baal threw nothing aside vendor-trash. 1.6M gold reached.

18. twillight

Cain is rescued, taking a break, and not just because the stash is full. In p8 with pala the change from normal to nightmare was quite merciless, resulting several NDE, once I even had to S&E (I didn't want to risk not hitting the full rejuv in time). Than I added more vita, and made Rhyme shield.
    I am neglecting the other stats at the moment, mostly Dexterity, because I still hit 80% as you can see.
    Can't wait to get a Duress, that was a nice mention, and until that if nothing else is found, maybe a Lionheart would be a good change.

[​IMG]

Btw,anyone knows the speed factor (the number in the brackets) and qlvl for Wirt's Leg?

19. twillight

As you can see Resist Lightning does NOT synergises 12% lightning damage to Holy Shock. It only adds maximum damage to it:

[​IMG]

The merc was the prayer-merc, but those don't help sufficiently anymore from Nightmare, thus got changed to Holy Freeze.
    Further proof the synergie is bugged:

[​IMG]

Yep, found a twitchroe (upped), and a tearhaunch (goblintoe would be the goal, but it'll do for now).
    Actually at a point I should make the shael/shael/shael wirt's leg, it'd gain ca. +1 attack per second, and that'd mean dps and safety as well.

As I start to hit things with only 70% chance, it'll be inevitable to invest into dexterity.

Oh, and Andariel didn't evend ropped rares.

20. twillight

Forgot to tell some details about Andraiel's room: it was stuffed with monsters. Every possible location had a shaman and its fallens, but that was the minorest issue. There was also a 5-6 pack of champion lightningball-shooters (disfigured?), a lightning enchanted zombie, and something with manaburn. I could barely walk and I had to run.

It was such unprecedented event than this map:

[​IMG]
    Saved after Radament, and as the next overgound area was right to the right, that time too. Atthe end of Far Oasis stuff filled the stash, so I'll have to run through it next time.