Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Naked Challenge...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Genraek, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

My Naked Challenge...

A buddy of mine are both this weekend gonna make one char each that we are going to play as far as possible. Both of us are going to be playing our own SP game, single pass, untwinked HC. Summoners (golemancers are allowed though o_O) aren't allowed as they are a bit TOO easy. The "Official" Gear restrictions are: Jewelry (ring/ammy) are OK to wear. Weapons are OK to use, shields/heads are not allowed. Charms are fair game as. A belt is allowed but it must be white, and no exceptional items in this slot. Head, body, hands, feet are all out. Mercenary has same restrictions. Weapon only.

So my dillema is which class would take me the farthest, it's going to most likely be a sorc, but I am to ideas. The only ones I'm really against are melee, not so much because of the risk (challenges are fun!) but because I don't like playing them as much.

Suggestions?

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: My Naked Challenge...

Trapsin = win-button. CoS/MB for defense, FB/LS/DS for offense. A couple of +2/+3 trap claws for weapons, and you are set for end game.

3. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

Plus won't those claws be vendor-able?

4. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Nagisa is absolutely right - I'd go with a trapsin. Beasts can't hurt you if they can't see you, and you can cast traps ahead. Big fan of trapsin here.

5. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

Will mana be a problem with a trapsin? Never made one before...

6. Thrandir

Thrandir IncGamers Member

I would do a bonemancer, myself ^_^

(big surprise there, eh, Nagisa?)

but seriously, there are some big ups. Grab a +3clay golem wand for summoning, and you've got a half-decent tank that will at least grab things' attention for you while you set up whatever necessary bone fortifications (walls against archers, cage against melee) and proceed to cast whatever necessary bone artillery (spear).

Bone armor is the only armor you'll have. Amp, decrep and CE can only help.

I would stick with an Act1 merc, as backup physical artillery against anything magic-immune (which you won't need to worry about 'till hell difficulty).

Just watch out for quill rats.
    My bonemancer has only died three times, and two of those were to hell quill rats.

7. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

@Thrandir: Big surprise...

Two reasons why I think trapsins are MUCH better in this situation:

1) Spam. Bonemancers are some of the biggest spammers in D2. Trapsins spend about 5% of their time casting. That just isn't the case for bonemancers. The result? Trapsins can spend much more of their time worrying about defense than offense, whereas bonemancers have to continuously worry about hitting stuff. Did I mention that bonemancers have to spam? With only a weapon and some jewelry, you'll be hard pressed to make even the 75 FCR breakpoint.

2) Life. Necromancers get 2 life per vitality and 1.5 life per level. Assassins get 3 life per vitality (imbalanced!) and 2 life per level. Most of the points will be going into vitality (no gear = no strength, no shield = no block = no dexterity, no energy = pretty staple anyway). Also, Assassin = Fade = Curse Reduction (among other things).

To answer your previous question, trapsins are a little mana hungry. After a while, more than enough mana pots drop to make this a non-issue. If you are RWM, there is always Insight. Either way though, you'll be relying quite heavily on your merc and mana potions in the beginning. Use an Act 2 mercenary, and play around with the Savage Polearm cube recipe to get him a decent weapon. If that fails, stick a couple of Eld runes and/or gems into a nice looking pole, and you'll be set at least for Act 2.

8. StevehRogers

StevehRogers IncGamers Member

Also Trapsins get weapon block, so not only can u benifit from +skills and duel wielding but you get block out of it too. Look up a LS/DS/FB Build somewhere, I'm sure there is one on this site somewhere. I'm actually currently making one in the Green with envy tournament. Also as Nagisa said, your not going to be putting as many points into strength because of your amour restrictions. So you could always pump a few points into energy at the start. Another thing to consider is Shadow warrior to give you an extra tank, but some people prefer not to use this and rely solely on CoS + MB.

I was just thinking as you haven't made this character before you may not really understand what we are going on about, but then again i may be patronizing you here so sorry if I am! :D

LS - Lightning Sentry a high damage trap, this will be your main offensive skill
    DS - Death Sentry, A trap which combines a little lightning damage with corpse explosion, which will explode all the bodies your LS traps have laid down for you.
    FB - Fire Blast, this is a skill you will use only really to deal with Lightning immunes, once again when one monster is dead you can lay down some Death sentries to help you with the rest.
    Weapon block - This allows you to block when wielding dual claws, and has quite good returns i think, at least at the start.
    Cos - Cloak of shadows, this is a crowd control skill and effectively blinds enemies in a large area around you. However be careful if you are in melee distance of them they can still hit you.
    MB - Mind Blast, another crowd control skill, used not as often as CoS, this skill converts enemies to start attacking other enemies, rather than yourself.
    SW - Shadow Warrior, summons a shadow of yourself, this can be useful as a tank, especially at low - mid levels. The only annoying thing is it casts skills you use such as LS, and as your restricted to using 5 Sentries at one time; say for example you have 3 LS and 2 DS on the ground, if your SW casts a sentry it will cause one of your more powerful sentries to explode, replacing it with a less powerful one. The choice is up to you, but providing your using weapon block, it will only need 1 point, not extra pre-skills needed.
    BoS- Burst of speed, a useful skill that increases your run/walk speed, allowing you to run from mobs easily casting traps as you go.
    Fade - This skill is brilliant and very useful in Hell. It increases all of your resists quite significantly.

Also, another thought, why not make a thread and create a tournament so others can join :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

a Trapper will be safe bet, but I don't agree it is better then bonemancer. Since, necro has the best crowd control skills in this game, and you can cast bone armor which is great for survive.

I also do not agree with couple of points about CoS and MB.

Using of CoS requires a little care and I dare to say skill. CoS has its limits, which can be deadly if not used correctly. You can only cast one CoS at any time, means if your CoS did not cover all the monsters you wish, you cannot simply cast another one. You HAVE TO wait until the first one runs off. So you do need to practice a little before "bet your life" on it. On the other hand, the curse DV can be casted as you wish, no need to worry.

MB is arguably the best crowd control sin may have. It is fast, no timer, best of all, stun monster which can stop monster charge. You can stop hell ancients with it! The only reason elite players don't use it (or don't use it often) is because MB has a chance to convert monster to fight for you for a short period of time. It is great for crowd control, but slow down your killing speed, if you have good gears that kills everything so fast. Going naked, I don't think you can reach that uber speed.

If we only count safety, necromancer is unbeatable. trapper wouldn't far behind, only slightly less safe.

10. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

hmm I would go for a Bonemancer with focus on Bone Prison/Spear then Bone Wall.

With prison you can mass cast and fill every space with bone, none but burning souls/snakes and a few other things can touch you, at all. bosses are easy, trap them in a few secs of bonewall/prison and they are trapped for over 24 secs ^^ with insight in your hand you will become strong ^^

11. Genraek

Genraek IncGamers Member

Would people be interested in doing a tournament like this?

Edit: I brought up the thought of an assassin dual weilding to my buddy (didn't tell him I was probably gonna make one) and we decided that barbs/assassins can only single wield to keep it a bit more balanced.

12. StevehRogers

StevehRogers IncGamers Member

I'm currently playing in the Green With envy tourney, but if I wasn't it seems like something I would join. Make it if you like, whats the worse that can happen? :) just make sure you make lots of specific rules if you do to avoid confusion. Try using another tournaments 1st post as a template.

13. RIP

RIP IncGamers Member

There was a tourney maby one Year before, with much more restrictions and it never ended, although Easy Gijs was able to finish his sin, as You can see here.

Whole tourney was inspired by great Insane Wayne's Druid...

As for me, my Druid from this tourney still lives, i still play with him, unfortunatelly i don't have much time and good nerves for faster progress (currently parked in Act 2 Nightmare)...

14. jgreg7

jgreg7 IncGamers Member

My Paladin from this tournament is also parked (in Act IV NM), both due to involvement in other tournaments and since EasyGijs passed us all.

Moral: quite a few builds are potentially viable, besides trapsin and bonemancer.