Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My mf sorc gets owned getting to meph!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by GOJ_hralti, Mar 8, 2004.

1. GOJ_hralti

GOJ_hralti IncGamers Member

My mf sorc gets owned getting to meph!

Can someone help me out please? I am wearing shako, upgraded vipermagi, wizspike, lidless, 2 resist rings, 1+sorc skills ammy with resists, goldwrap, chance gaurds, and silkweaves. and I don't have much extra to put on this char to make her better at getting through durance lvl 2 to meph. I am a nova/ts/orb sorc and thats what I like to have as a build and I still can't get to meph without dieing. There are a few times where I make it then I get swamped by meph sometimes. Theres a few times I beat meph but I am still not doing good with meph runs. Could someone please help me out? That would be great thanks!

Justin

2. holabuster

holabuster IncGamers Member

having TWO skill trees makes a sorc have less killing power than a ONE skill tree sorc. But THREE skill trees...no wonder you're dieing!! Start over man and make a pure blizzard sorc. You have great gear, now work on the sorc.

3. GOJ_hralti

GOJ_hralti IncGamers Member

Thanks man! well I do only have 2 skill trees ts = thunderstorm hehe well I hope I can solo him tho thad be nice. thanks!

Guild of Jordan - Justin

4. warding

warding Banned

What about blocking? Do you have a shield and max block? What about resists? As long as you have a fast teleport, max block and resist, meph should be no problem.

5. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

Holabuster,

Working in three trees will not get you killed. See my other post on a three tree build. It works very well. I;ve been running meph all night tonight, and have been rewarded well.

Justin, you might not want to hear this, but...
    IMO Nova/Orb is a hard row to hoe against meph. Historically speaking NovaOrb was a popular 1.09 cow build. It may never be fully viable in 1.10. I have never heard of a really successful Nova Sorc since teh old 1.09 days. Believe me I know. I've got a really tripped out non ladder Nova Sorc sitting in retirement. I tried her in the first few weeks after 1.10 and got much the same results as you have and see was a lvl 95 with total godly equip, and tones of charms, etc.

Orb in itself is not bad but range limitation means no moat trapping. It would be best coupled with Meteor or firewall.

On the equipment side,

Using the lidless for + skill while on the surface looks good, the blocking ins't sufficient to move through Durance 2 easily.

Let me take a guess. You're teleporting through Durance 2, get packed by the nasties, can't seem to get yourself moving again and then you die? If this is case with your sorc, you're getting stun locked due to lack of good blocking.

Other scenario, you tele through and get swarmed by a pack of stygians. Your TS kicks in and the next thing you know, you're dead. See above. Stygina dieing nova is
    getting you. Better blocking would help.

Finally, you get to meph, tele over the council, get in real close to use nova and fo, and get bowled over by mehp's novaball. Two things here. first, your need to get in close to use nova effectively means you will need to be able to tank meph. This won't work wihtout decent blocking. Secondly even if you manage to keep your feet during the first few attacks, you're quaffing potions like a drunkard, becasue he's not going down fast enough. Nova may be too weak to do the job, and while orb alone might, you need to get some distance between yourself and Meph.

It's fine to try and hit the big FCR breakpoints but if your stun locked, (sorc cannot cast until the effects of stun has ended) you're a sitting duck.

If you're not too far into your build you may be able to salvage it. Shunt the Lidless into 2nd weapon slot is can help as switch off when you need extra skills and blocking is ot an issue (moating Meph for example). Get a good blocking shield...see max block thread in this forum for good suggestions.

If you're going to stick with the NovaOrb build, don't rely on too much nova. Move in, hit with static to thin him down, then back off to range and spam as much orb as you can while you keep dodging his nova ball.

Like I said I've been in your shoes with this same build. She ran to expectation when questing 1.09 hell in a group, owned non elemental cows, but never really panned out as solo mfer.

Storm

6. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

with your current sorc, one choice is to get fcr on switch items, such as lidless wall and a say spectral shard or wiz spike to help you get through the level.

if you cannot kill meph, then it is not a build that is good for meph runs. i would suggest a rebuild, and make a sorc designed to kill meph.

otherwise, find areas you can mf in that your sorc can do easily and quickly. if your sorc can do no areas easily nor quickly, then a rebuild is pretty much mandatory.

7. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

are you teleporting around to the 3rd level or trying to fight everything on the way?

GEt a Bladebuckle belt that gives you 30% faster hit recovery. And put a point to frozen armour. Should help you out. Don't let go of your teleport key.

If you need help in fighting meph, there is a way to trap him between stairs on the top right. OR on the moat.

8. IMCL85

IMCL85 IncGamers Member

hehe 3 skill tree ha. Thats funny I wonder how well can you survive and what kind of funny damage are you doing in a 8 player game. As for TS and Nova isn't that an 1.09 cowing sor. Nova is crap in 1.10 the mana it cost is secondary and in order to hit monster you have to be very close and sor's life are generally the lowest over all the other class and you putting ur self in front of alot of risk. Ts is even wrost lol not even doing any damage as far as I see in a 3 player game. So generally 2 tree is the very most you can go more is waste of skill point since your killing power will be crap if you do so.

9. wind

wind IncGamers Member

I checked out his thread "Stormcryer's Tanking Tri-Elementalist - The Archmage Revealed" here:

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=149144

The way I see it with the +13 skills, it's definitely can solo and small party the whole game easily. 8P on the other hand will reduce it's effectiveness, but it isn't a lame duck either. :thumbsup:

10. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Tri-Elementalists can Solo, but jst a bit slower. Its no Cookie-cutter build but lots of fun and yes she can do Hell Solo :p

Concerning getting owned in Durance lvl2. You are NOT supposed to kill anything there. Your Faster Cast Rate is more than sufficient. Just teleport like crazy through lvl2 until you get to lvl3. Then Teleport over to Meph. Nothing can go wrong that way. You Res with Wizzy should eb fine and with Vipermagi. You dont need to have all block.

How high is your life? If its jst like 400-500 then this might explain your problems.

Otherwise Teleport, Teleport, Teleport! Nothing else looks wrong with your build. Migth take a bit of practice, thats all.

11. Stormcryer

Stormcryer IncGamers Member

IMCL85,
    I've soloed up to Hell ancients so far. I'd say that makes it viable. I've never said the build was an 8 player one. I solo MF and only run multigames when rushing someone or very small 3 or 4 quest games for the fun of it.

On survival I've died one since starting the build, did not have to rely on help from other players to get my sorc up to lvl 83, and emptied every screen of every killable creature. I don't have to TP past the big bad CI FI Lightning Enhanced Stoneskin extra fast.

I TANK bosses that's "putting ur self in front of alot of risk". max block and high def from merc = little risk.

Before laughing at the build, read up on it first. It might just surprise you.

Melianor an Wind,
    Thanks.

Storm