Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My merc's equipment - good or not?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by LordPraetor, May 16, 2008.

1. LordPraetor

LordPraetor IncGamers Member

My merc's equipment - good or not?

Hi everybody,

so I just created my first MF sorc based on a guide I have found here. Until this point, I haven't really used a merc (don't look at me like that! I just restarted the game after a long break!) and I know there are threads about merc equipment, I just want to hear you idea about this combo.

His armor would be the Griswold armor. I have found it in the Crypt, and was happy to give it to my pally (who was the product of a bad skill allocation, RIP my friend!), and I thought it would be nice to give it to my merc. ~1000 def is not bad. Also, if I hire an Act 2 Hell Defense merc, will his Defiance aura benefit from the "+2 to Defensive skills (Paladin only)" stat? Btw, it is socketed with 3 ptopazes, so he starts with 72% MF

Now the weapon is a harder question. I read a few good thing about Kelpie Snare - combined with Blackthorne face, it could slow the enemy by 90%! But the damage is low, and its hard to find (even in trade)
    Next idea was Reaper's Toll. A nice one IMHO, with "built-in" life leech. Cheap and good solution maybe?
    But right now I'm thinking of the Tomb Reaver. Dmg is acceptable, huge IAS (60%), high resistances, and a 50-80% Mf boost! Also, it can have 3 open sockets. If I choose this, what would be the best gems/runes in it? I'm sure it needs at least one Amn for life leech! Other ideas?

And last but not least, the helm. Currently I have a Tal mask and a Blackthorne Face. Do you think one of them will be good? Or should I try to find an Andariel's helm, as many people suggest?

Thanks! :rolleyes:

Prae

2. leeye84

leeye84 IncGamers Member

Re: My merc's equipment - good or not?

Well, I would make a few changes:

Weapon:
    Rich: Infinity
    Other: Reapers, Insight

Armor:
    Rich: Eth Fort / Eth Shaftstop
    Other: Shaftstop, Levi (for str), etc.

Helm (all helms are pretty cheap, unelss perf)
    Andy's, Tals, etc. Andy's is the most standard.

3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I'm baaling with treachery, rockstopper and reapers on the merc.

4. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Basically you want these things on your merc:

1. LifeLeech <--- absolutely must have
    2. A big-damage weapon <--- very, very helpful - almost essential
    3. Damage Reduction
    4. Resistances
    5. Increased Attack Speed
    6. Crushing Blow

... getting all 6 of those from only 3 slots can be difficult, but basically the first two I listed are the really important ones. Those will help your merc keep himself alive, the next 3 will compliment that to various extents. The Crushing Blow will help him take down high-life monsters like act bosses.

I tend to swap out equipment depending on where I'm running, and here's some setups that I like:

1. Balanced Attack:
    - Reaper's Toll if you need crowd control, or Insight if you need the mana-regeneration
    - Duress
    - Vampire Gaze (IAS or resistance jewel)

<--- this provides a nice balance of killpower and defense, for a fairly reasonable cost. I find it's a nice 'questing through the game' setup, as it covers the first two from my list quite well, and has a little bit of each of the others too.

2. Defensive Elements:
    - Guardian Angel (IAS jewel)
    - Kira's Guardian (IAS jewel)
    - & whatever leeching weapon

<--- 90 resist all and Cannot Be Frozen for your merc means that physical-damage is really the only big threat to him. Depending on the monsters you face, this may be enough to make him near-invincible. Before I got my Fortitude armour, this is what I used for Baal runs.

3. Physically Defensive:
    - Reaper's Toll
    - Shaftstop
    - VampGaze

<--- handy for high physical-damage areas like Countess and Pindleskin runs.

4. Current Setup for Baal runs:
    - Insight (I can't afford Infinity)
    - Fortitude
    - VampGaze (IAS jewel)

<--- On a prayer mercenary. I need the mana from Insight, and he heals about 60 life per second for my sorc. He's got good resistances and damage, but could use a little more tanking power against some hard-hitters (Frenzytuar's, cursed Lister, etc.). I wish he had some crushing blow for Baal too, but I can get by without it.

5. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

Reaper's >>>> tomb reaver

tomb reaver isn't a great weap imo but reaper's is lovely.