Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Mercenary keeps dying

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by nnnrrggghh, Apr 6, 2004.

1. nnnrrggghh

nnnrrggghh IncGamers Member

My Mercenary keeps dying

I am trying to mf in hell, around the outer cloister and pits, with a level 78 meteorb sorceress. she can't really do much alone so i have tried to use a mercenary to tank. the mercenary is act2 defiance type and about level 75. i armed him with the unique lance, skullders ire, and tal mask.
    basically, he doesn't last any more than a few seconds in hell.
    what's the problem? does he need different equipment? does he need more levels?
    i'm not even in games with several ppl. usually i'm solo. Thank you for your help.

2. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Hi!

I have a meteorb sorc as well but i have a folyfreeze....But a defiance merc isnt that bad...more defence means the u and your merc get hit less...

Now to your gear...try yo get Bonehew and put to amns in it...that means more LL and plus u get level 18 bonespear at a 50% chance to cast it...thast not so bad actually U just got to have strength for your merc when using bonehew...another cheap variant would be Lance och Yaggai which has CRUSHING BLOW BABY!!! CB rocks bigtime!

Helmet: stick with Tals mask or consider changing to Guillames Face (that means more chrushing blow) or even Vamp Gaze (dual leech and DR)

When it comes to your armour consider to get the Black Hades Armor (excep. unique) and socket it with three perfect rubys...that means more life and halfreeze duration..the best armour for your merc would be Shaftstop though...with 30% DR it rocks...

Hope this helps! :howdy:

3. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

More lvls!
    Lvl him up with some baalruns in NM :) That will go fast.
    What unique lance are you using? Tal's mask sounds good. How about swapping Skullders for something like Duriel's Shell or Shaftstop. Either of those 2 armors will do nicely for your Merc.
    If you can try getting hold of Reapers Toll. Can be bought for pgems when its poor +% enhanced damage.

Also other nice gear, Rockstopper, Vampire gaze.

4. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

2 hell cow games will bring him up to 78. I agree... tal mask, duriel shell and reapers. You shouldnt be dying with these gears, unless u get iron maiden by death knights.

Remember, merc is ur tank but u have to look after them. Make sure to focus ur spells on ur merc attackers. Ur merc is only a divison for monsters... the real killer should be ur spells... unless the monsters are immuned to them.

5. Watzit2ya

Watzit2ya IncGamers Member

I cant stress this enough!! get a Reapers Toll for your merc. its lvl 74 req, does 60-450(about) Unique thresher. 33% to cast lvl 1 decrep on striking!!!! once every 1-2 jabs this goes off. Its got 11-15% life leach, and deadly strike, and other fun mods. This is THE best merc weap... imo, well the best affordable one. Eth BOTD war pike being the most fun :p. But once i put a Reapers, and Gaze + Eth shaft on my merc, he rarely dies to anything but Meph/diablo/baal. He can tank anything and hes only got 51% all resists. I have yet to see him even drop to yellow HP and i usually do 4 player + pit/meph/Ancient Way/Worldstone runs for xp/MF. It will be a great ally. This is just my opinion though!

Holy freeze aura + cold damage + decrep is insane. At least try it, you can get a reapers cheap. Trust me, youll learn to love the decrep.

Holy freeze merc with a Reapers is perfect for a meteor sorc. You can drop met's all day, and the monsters cant even move, if they want to... Have you ever seen a decrep'd, holy frozen monster try to move? let alone swing? the animation is stupid slow.

6. kuza

kuza IncGamers Member

I like duriels on my merc because of the extra resists. I upgraded it because i had the extra em and ko runes, and that helped a bunch. The Eth steelskull and reapers makes him a leeching killing MACHINE

7. Anthraquinone

Anthraquinone IncGamers Member

I have a merc with an Amn Shael bonehew, vamp gaze, and Ral Ort Thul Gris armor to meet the str req of the bonehew. He tanks and lives even with amplify dmg. Only the combination of amplify and a nasty aura can brake him. O yeah, pick his weapon when entering the chaos sanctuary :)

-AnQ

8. DurintheDeathless51

DurintheDeathless51 IncGamers Member

Right now my merc is level 85, he uses ariocs needle with an amn, crown of thieves, and ethereal godly sacred armor (about 1300 defense). Thought I am using an assassin and cloak of shadows and mind blast help, he doesn't die, except for bosses, and maybe half the time. I'm trying to level him for bonehew with 2 amns. I believe the best you can do is an upped ethereal shaftstop, ethereal upped gaze, and ethereal bonehew. Though this is unrealistic for most (including myself) I belive this would be ideal. Bonehew is not too expensive though, do countess runs and pray for the correct runes. I think nm meph can drop shaft and gaze, so if you can't quite take hell yet, run him and pray. Good luck.

9. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Teleport, feed him pots. Lances are way too slow without lots of IAs, so forget about spire of honor unless it's ethereal, upgraded and you give him an IAS armor and shael the thing. Bonehew is nice for starters, decent base speed and 30 ias + 2 sockets. Reapers or tomb reaver are awesome.

More levels helps, 'cannot be frozen' helps (glad's bane, duriels shell).

10. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

Holy freeze aura from him or a doom weapon

Stone runeword in an eth armor is very nice

Vamp gaze for LL and DR. Umed preferably

The main reason he is dying is probably low resists. Max em out with decent DR and def and you will have a great tank.

11. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger IncGamers Member

just a question. wat is best merc wep for a lvl 71 HF merc. The only thing is i am on NL so i cant get a reapers toll. :/ He currently uses a masters warpike with 20 ias and 8 LL. Max dmg of like 4xx.

thx

12. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

Bonehew is a nice weapon for NL. Stick in a HEL rune or -15% with mod *** and u should be set. If not, lvl him up in hell cows until the desired str requirement reached.

My advise is to lvl up ur merc until lvl 85 which is the lvl where ur merc has the basic str for bonehew (I think). You now have 2 sockets for AMNs.