Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

my merc won't stop dying

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by lior, Jun 3, 2005.

1. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

my merc won't stop dying

Hi,
    I have a lvl 86 sorc with a lvl 86 merc, and when I do andy hell he dies one third of the times.
    he has a gaze with 7ll and 20dr, stone armor with 2500 def and cresent moon on a colossus volgue that does 76-750 dmg.
    He is a act2 def merc.
    Note that I also use cta with 6bo.
    He has 12,700 def and 2500 life.
    What the hell am I doing wrong?

2. EatmyArsenal

EatmyArsenal Diabloii.Net Member

Heal him everyone in awhile. Also, what is his poison resist?

3. Sharaz

Sharaz Diabloii.Net Member

hell andys poison is murder on mercs. maybe socket a TAL into his helm? or feed him a antidote potion right before entering andys room? me personally, i tele around, trying avoid her initial poison attack, then i get up in her face and static while my merc skewers her.

4. Rehsa

Rehsa Diabloii.Net Member

andy can kill a merc, even if they have max poison resistance... no clue why (i even gave him vemonward... still he died -_-). what i do... is tele around while casting and leaving my merc not too much 1 vs 1 time with andy.

i think the main killer is that area fan gas attack. if andy does that right on the merc, the merc pretty much dies because he takes all 15 or so poison cloud attacks instead of just one.

5. Leohappy

Leohappy Diabloii.Net Member

What I usually do with my Pala, is tele into andys room, then attack Andy on foot, and my merc will follow behind, usually taking no damage from psn attack. Same with Meph and Dia... Just don't let act bosses attack your merc, because mercs have problems leeching off act bosses, and die pretty easily.

Also don't forget you can give potions to mercs (shift+1-4). Antidote pots help as well.

6. DeMeVeR

DeMeVeR Diabloii.Net Member

max his poison resist by using andariels visage and maybe gladiators (-50% poison length) if that is not enough
    oh and offc an antidote potion in advance to raise his res even further

7. Phyrexial

Phyrexial Diabloii.Net Member

First off, a Stone armor really isn't that great for a merc. Especially not for fighting those act bosses. Stone's main allure is the fhr and def I assume, and neither of those help a great deal against Andy or any other act boss for that matter. Def only affects the chance to hit and the melee attacks are the least of your worries and that extra defense won't really make a difference anyway.

The main things to consider is res, life leech, and psn reduction of some sort for Andy. If your merc's res isn't 75% at least, then work on that first, it should be. The only life leech you currently have is from Gaze, you could certainly do better.

Helm: Kira's if you really need res, but you shouldn't. If you want to kill faster, get a Guilaume's Face set helm, the Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike are killer on a good merc and will cut down an Act boss in no time. Socket with a Tal for res or an ed jewel if you can afford it. Blackthorn's is always an option since Slow is always good.

Armor: I personally put on a Venomward when facing Andy, but a nice Up'ed or even non-up'ed Shaft is good overall. I know a few people that swear by Duriel's Shell on mercs and I'd have to agree that it is a great choice. Res, nice +life, and most importantly CBF. Staying not-frozen is great since your merc's main source of staying alive is constantly attacking and leeching back life. If you are frozen/slow, your life stops going back up at any decent rate. I would go with the Duriel's for your merc personally, Up'ed if you want to.

Weapon: This is where you can really improve your merc. Crescent Moon's damage is low, the chance to cast static is low and you are a sorc anyway with static. I see no reason to use it. Tomb Reaver for res, decent damage, some life leech, some MF, and even some open sockets is a decent choice. Another great choice is Reaper's Toll, excellent damage and between the little bit of cold damage and the very high chance (33% chance) to cast Decrepify, the target will be very very slow vastly increasing survivability. Bone Hew has nice damage as well if you have nothing else. Obviously, eth versions of those weapons are best.

Things you can do to help your merc is cursing Andy if you aren't using the Reaper's Toll. Amp Damage will kill a boss really fast but if you want to keep your merc alive nothing beats Lifetap. If you can find a lifetap wand to put on switch, it can grant your merc near invincibility as long as it keeps attacking.

8. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

He has 62psn res.
    Anyway, what good is my merc if he can't handle act bosses?
    I usually do andy/meph/baal and I want him to tank.

So most important is to change to Reaper's toll and change my armor? what about a socket for my helm, what sould I use?
    And armor wise, uped shaft or uped duriel?

9. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

I'd say keep the stone armor. Its great, 60fhr does wonders, and so does the def.

Reapers toll is great, since decrepify slows monsters, and you also have a potential 15%ll which rocks. Socket the helm with an um rune cant be wrong if you feel like its the resists that are the problems, but you probably could do without it as long as you get some lifesteal...

10. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i agree, stone is a crazy merc armor. :)

andys socketed with 'ral' (or a nice 30 fire res/asdf jewel) is the best merc helm in the game imo, eth if possible.

crescent moon is great for the killing speed agains bosses, however, if you're more concerned about survivability, go with reapers socketed with 'amn' for ll or 'shael' for ias.

11. IN_FLAMES

IN_FLAMES Banned

Andy is the anti-merc.

12. Agateryon

Agateryon Diabloii.Net Member

i have a merc lvl 89 with a andy face, gladiators, eth bonehew and he NEVER dies in andariel, and rarelly in mephisto :D

13. Phyrexial

To the thread poster, what aura does your merc use? If it is a Defiance merc, then perhaps the extra def might help but otherwise it is just a drop in the bucket without a def multiplier. Might mercs get much higher damage thus leech life back faster and HF mercs can survive most battles without taking many hits, especially if they are using Reaper's. Decrep+HF = all enemies are practically standing still.

I forgot about Andariel's Visage, it would make a pretty nice helm for this situation. I would still recomend Guilaume's Face over Andariel's visage for most other situations, the CB/DS is just incredible. Andy's has some real nice +str, great psn res, life leech, and ias for a merc. Most of the other mods are useless. High def is generally a non-issue since most monsters have enough AR to hit a merc regardless of how much def you pack on unless it is a Defiance merc. +skills is practically negligible for a non-caster merc as well.

Some of you mentioned that Stone is a great merc armor and that Crescent Moon is a fast boss killer, would you mind stating why? The only thing Stone has going for it is Def which doesn't help at all against most act bosses since their most dangerous attacks generally aren't AR based. Andy's psn attacks are itd, Diablo's lightning wave and fire river-ish attacks are itd, Meph's iceball of doom is itd, etc. The only one that the def might be useful for is Duriel, and no one runs Duriel that I know of. fhr can be gotten through other things, like Guilaume's for example which has other great mods. fhr isn't as important for mercs also. Thus I find Stone to be largely useless.

Crescent Moon's only notable mod for act boss killing is the mere 7% chance to cast Static. The ed% is lower than most of the unique polearm choices so lower overall damage which means less life leeched, there is no life leech period on Crescent Moon, and the small chance of OW is negligible. OW is a very slow killer against act bosses because they have so much life, CB is much better as it does a percentage of that huge life.

14. Gregoth

Gregoth Diabloii.Net Member

My merc doesn't die against Andy but that's probably because I've cursed the living daylights out of Andy first and my 12 or 13 skeletons beat my merc to the punch. Add in a few meteors or fireballs and if anything else is dead nearby corpse explosion and Andy doesn't really last that long.

15. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

I do have a defiance merc.
    Anyway you're wrong about Crescent Moon's dam, my CM does 75-755, which is more than Bonehew and Reaper's toll, plus it has great speed and itd.
    Also Reaper's toll is very slow, base is -10 compared to 10 and it has no ias mod.

16. Phyrexial

I admit I was wrong about the damage difference in comparison to Reaper's, but the other two that I mentioned do beat your Crescent Moon. Including the Bonehew.

CM: 75-755 (415 avg)
    Reaper's: 61-717 (389 avg)
    Bonehew: 176-911 (544 avg)
    Tomb Reaver: 176-812 (494 avg)

As you can see, Bonehew and Reaver both beat out the CM in sheer damage and the Reaper is only behind the CM by a mere 26 avg damage. However, something to take into account is the practically guaranteed chance of Decrepify and Deadly Strike on Reaper's Toll. Decrep drops the physical resistance of a target to -50% and Deadly doubles the damage, this more than puts it over CM's average damage when taken into account. After Deadly Strike alone Reaper's is well beyond CM's damage. Going with an avergage over 10 hits:

CM: 415 x 10 = 4,150 avg.
    Reaper's: (389 x 7) + ((389x2) x 3) = 5,057 avg.

The Decrepify effectively will double that damage again also, but like Static how effective it will be will depend on how early it triggers and I quite frankly don't care to do that math right now. Also consider that Decrep slows the target's attack rate and decreases the damage they do per physical attack and I believe we have a winner.
    -------------------------------------

I know CM has a 7% ctc Static, but as a sorc you are static-ing already or should be. Either way, the ctc Static is very low and stops working at around 50% hp I believe is the cap in hell for Static effectiveness.

When you are referring to IAS, you do realize that a -10 base speed is faster than a 10 base right? The lower the base speed, the faster it is. If you don't believe me, check the Arreat Summit's elite sword page and take a look at the Phase Blade base speed, it is -30 base and we all know Phase Blades are very very fast. So, the 20% ias that CM has actually only puts it at an equal speed as the Reaper's and still far slower than the Bonehew or Tomb Reaver.

ITD is nice, but mercs have a pretty nice chance of hitting act bosses at a decent level already. itd isn't really needed, but it is a nice touch. However, it seems that is the only thing CM has left going for it and it simply doesn't outbalance the other great mods on the other choices.

Lastly, I'd just like to point out that I feel Defiance on a merc is a poor choice in my opinion in comparison to HF or Might but that is personal preference I guess. Still, that Defiance aura is doing practically nothing for your merc against Andy and neither is that Stone armor. Def won't do anything against the spells that the Act Bosses are throwing at you. My mercs all have around 3k def and they do absolutely fine.

17. lior

lior Diabloii.Net Member

I see, I didn't know that -10 was faster, sorry.
    Anyhow I was thinking on getting a Doom runeword someday(holy freeze aura when equipped), so that's why I went with def merc, and also I'm a cold/fire sorc.
    But I was told that Infinity would be better with it conviction aura, so you think I should chance my merc to HF? Note that I also do a lot of pit and cows, so def helps a lot there, but hf will help more?

18. zirilion

zirilion Diabloii.Net Member

dont forget decrepify removes immu to physical and if the monster is both cold and physical then your stuffed

ie you wont kill the monster

althou as you say your cold/fire sorc but your fire wont do too good against high life monsters

i found that even 5k fire doesnt really hurt most of them

and your murk will die as he wont ll of an immu to physical

amplify damage also removes immu to physical

19. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

definately get infinity. i've a got a fireball/nova sorc, the 10k fireball take around 5 to kill non fire imm monsters without infinity, but only 2-3 fireballs when my merc is around. :)

@zirilon, i dont know what you are talking about, my sorc can take baal down using fireball/meteor in 20 seconds without static.

20. zirilion

zirilion Diabloii.Net Member

im going crazyyyyyyyyyy............

lol is that in normal???

none is capable of taking down baal in hell in 20 secs

then in pvp noone will have a chance

the game is balanced you know

and pizza guy what is your mf?

10k??? joking? youll have to max all attrib to get that which means youll have no cold

unless you have skillers and no mf

what we are talking here is with loads of mf like 600+ (or so i hope)

plus there is a little trick to kill andy with blizz without even getting hit by her (i wont tell its my secret :D)