Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My melee sorc build revealed and dissected!!!

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by cxzphlyingkow, Mar 1, 2004.

1. cxzphlyingkow

cxzphlyingkow IncGamers Member

My melee sorc build revealed and dissected!!!

since im stripping her to make a new class (shh its a secret) i'll tell everyone my build if you're interested.

I've recieved a lot of compliments from some really good players who dueled with me / saw my build, and many who wanted to know just how exactly i killed their botd enig exile zeal pally with a melee sorc :D. This guide was first posted in the trade us east ladder trading forum, it recieved some really positive feedback there so i thought i'd share it with more people, hope you guys like it.

Before you go on any further, know that this build is very expensive, it's very frustrating to collect some of this char's items because well nobody has it :) But this is a trade forum so who am i kidding? you guys trade like 24/7 hehe.

first of all some stats:
    -8k def
    -10k AR
    -1k mana
    -3k life
    -22k fire dmg
    -5k fire dmg on enchant for OTHERS

now for some general information:

-everyone loves you in parties, especially level 1's, enchant lasts 20 min so it's probably the only power leveling class in d2.

-5 frames attack speed - about 5 hits a second
    kills most elite melee classes and casters, trouble with smite dins (will lose probably 2 out of 3 times) and bone necros - this is excluding people who wear a rising sun :) that's just cheap hehe.

-Can rush just fine, can tele of course, i kill andariel in 1-2 seconds (not exaggerating at all), this is definately an act boss killer, trouble with mana burn monsters, even though you kill so fast it rarely matters.

disadvantage: Everytime you want to duel it takes a lot of gear switching and boosting, but from personal experience,i dont die too much so i dont have to do that too many times a game, annoying at first, you get used to it later. And bear = slow run speed.

Stat point distribution:
    enough str to wear stormshield (taken into account all your +str items)
    enough dex to block at 75% (crucial)
    rest into vit
    base energy (trust me, you'll have enough)

Now, some basics about the class itself that you should understand before we talk about the gear and skills distribution.

The 22k fire damage comes straight from enchant, nothing else. And here's how that WONDERFUL skill works:
    - every time you enchant, the effect stays on you even if your gear changes, so this means that if you enchant with gear that gives you +27 fire skills, and then switch to a set of gear that gives you no +skills, you'll keep all the dmg from the previous enchant! and it lasts 20 minutes so you don't have to worry about enchanting again unless you die.
    - However, using a melee weapon, there is a MAJOR advantage to keeping at least some +skill items even after the enchant. This is because enchant damage for when you enchant others as well as when you enchant yourself wearing a ranged weapon is calculated as such: base enchant damage (with +skills taken into effect) * warmth synergy * fire mastery, which gets you a little over 5k with the optimal build, not nearly enough dmg to kill in pvp. But if you use a melee weapon, ONE MORE factor of fire mastery gets multiplied by your fire dmg....so that 5k will become 25k with a high level fire mastery!!!
    -AR, def, life, as well as skills that help you stay alive are also crucuial, this being a melee build and all. Just keep this in mind as i go through the skills distributions / gear part of the guide.

The gear:
    I will first list all my sorc's items, followed by either E to indicate enchanting gear, B to indicate boosting gear, and F to indicate fighting ger.
    Helm: Cham'd Shako(B,F), +3 fire skills circlet with two 5/5 facets(E)
    Ammies: perf maras(B), +3 fire skills ammy(E), perf metalgrid(F)
    Armor: 912 def COH archon(B,F,E)
    Weapons: 6/5/3 CTA(B), Beast(B), perf fire eschutas with 5/5 facet(E), 6 sock phase blade with five IAS / ar jewels, 1 shael (F, PAIN TO GET)
    shields: lidless with 5/5 facet (E,B), stormshield with shael (F)
    rings: two sojs(E,B,F)
    gloves: magefists (E), frostburns(B,F)
    boots: Shadow dancers (B,E,F)
    belt: arachnids(B,E), nightsmoke(F)
    Charms: 10x fire charms, fill bottom with vita/resist/run walk charms, TWO fire charms with 12 FHR is crucial.

Now, explanations for why I used some items (some are obvious and i wont explain). THIS SECTION IS OPTIONAL IF EVERYTHING I USE MAKES SENSE TO YOU.

-I used cham'd shako because I did not want to sacrifice sojs (+1 skill and lots of mana, and i need mana) for raven frosts, and you canNOT afford to be frozen in battle, also an UM rune in the shako would've been a waste since i had max res already.
    -BEAST! Not many people have heard of this runeword, but it is SO good for the melee sorc. Why? Aside from the fact that wearbear form gives you more life and more defense, the most important part is that wearbears can attack CRAZY fast. A sorc turned into wearbear can get a 5 frame attack! that's a zeal speed attack!
    -Shael in stormshield is kinda obviously, 35% faster block rate in bear form - 8 frames recovery, with shael - 7 frames. Dont ignore that one frame, it can mean life or death in duels.
    -Metalgrid, i said AR and def were really important right? And why wouldn't it be? Try hitting an exile pally with your 2k ar =)
    -CTA, eschutas are pretty obviously, but why the phase blade? Well just in case you forgot, this sorc does not rely on physical damage *at all*, this means what you want is as much AR and attack speed as possible! So why 5 ias jewels and one shael instead of 6 ias/ar jewels? Because 6 IAS jewels = 90 IAS, which is 5 away from the 5 frames attack breakpoint, that last shael takes care of the attack speed.
    -nightsmoke - for the resistances, and % dmg goes to mana, +1 on arachnids is not that for the 5-7 seconds of dueling you'll be doing, and with my build you'll have capped DR, and enough FHR to make you not want to go up another frame rate, so the only good thing about verdugons is the +40 vit, and that's not worth what nightsmoke gives.
    -Frostburns, for mana, with base energy, you need this, why not bloodfist? because as i said, it will require a lot more than 30 FHR to go up a frame with my build, the 10% ias does not affect bear attack frame at all, since it's ONLY affected by IAS on the weapon, and the +40 life isn't worth the +hundreds of mana.
    -Shadowdancers and the two FHR fire charms: JUST enough FHR for 7 frame recovery (you got 54, breakpoint is 50), need 90 for just one more frame - not worth it. Also, shadow gives +25 dex and 30% faster run/walk.

Phew!! Worst part's over, all that's left is a skill distro guide and a "how to use" guide, HANG IN THERE, IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Skill distributions:
    max warmth,
    fire mastery,
    enchant,
    1 point in es (+skills will take care of the rest),
    max telekinesis (in case you don't know, telekinesis increases ES effectiveness by 6.25% per level, read arreat summit for a detailed explanation)
    Rest of your points into shiver armor.

How to use this class right:
    Preperation phase:
    First, wear all the gear labeled E, enchant
    Wear all the gear labeled B, cast bo and beast
    Wear all the gear labeled F, fight! and dont die!
    Easy enough? :)

One last tip about pvp: against casters, since you dont run fast, play defense, you can outrun just about every spell (except being prison'd and bs'd, no chance vs necros because of thos), wait for them to tele next to you, and whack whack kill.

Thats it!!! I don't know how many people had the patience to finish reading, but if you did, i hope i've convinced you that this build is unique, fun, party-oriented, AND effective! I know i loved this build, the only reason im stripping her is because i wanted to try one more build b4 i quit d2 (no time due to college). I was close to completeling that build too until i fudged my doom (socketed all the runes into a caddy, which is not a mace). But enough of my ranting, I hope you liked the guide, and i hope you enjoy playing this class as much as i did!

P.S. i typed this up quickly, sry for typos. And sorry this build's formatting isn't up to par with some of the "pretty" guides in this forum, hehe, i didn't have time to add pictures and format it, sry.

2. cxzphlyingkow

Sorry if this guide seems to treat you guys like newbs. but as i said this was first written for a trade forum on bnet. A lot of people are clueless when it comes to enchantresses, that's why i had to into a deep discussion about everything :)

3. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Frankly I don't see how this is a guide at all, except that you mentioned the effectiveness of the wearbear on an enchantess.

Also how many people on the realm (especially ladder, or better yet, HCL) can afford that gear?

4. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

he said it was only for the rich btw

and yeah, nice setup. i'd love to make one, but a pvp summoner is in my head at the moment...and i don't have the gear

there's very little strategy guide though...even if it doesn't seem to need one. however, you might want to include more good points on how to duel with her.

and you don't seem to mention teleport much. if a barb can teleport to get in close, i would say a sorc would do a better.

5. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Can't teleport in bear form

6. cxzphlyingkow

My melee sorc build revealed and dissected!!! <--title, it just says well... it's basically my discussion about my build....and sharing it with others.... I probably called it a guide somewhere in there...but that's just because i've been tyipng for too long....i don't see why you're getting on my case about a technicality like that, just because you can't afford it doesn't mean nobody can. I know TONS of people who can afford this gear. And yes, i did mention at the beginning that this was extremely costly build.....

7. cxzphlyingkow

Lyrs sorry I just thought that the dueling strats were obvious to anyone who used it :) its just the gear that took me a long time to research and do calculations for. So I only added one little pvp strat.

8. cxzphlyingkow

edit* misread

9. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

This was an interesting writeup. I found it interesting. This guide is interesting. I wouldn't yell too much. I agree though a little more about tactics would be good.

I was wondering what you thought of the HoJ crossbow -60 Weapon Speed would be good to attack with? Remember that crossbows would be melee in WB form.

Last thing. I know it seems silly, but you can also prebuff your ES with a +3 ES, Memory Staff. Keep that in your stash as well.

10. Strider_pt

Strider_pt IncGamers Member

This enchantress looks great. I am gonna have to try it soon. Do you have any substitutes for those ladder items b/c the only way that i can get any of those items is from what i already have which is not on ladder.

11. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

right. gah, i'm dumb. i wasn't thinking of werebear.

and there's no chance of tele'ing unmorphed cuase that'll just get you smacked around...although if they are far away, it might be a good idea....blah.

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Newbs? Leave that slang at the east forum thx ;)
    Nice setup and please dont judge the sorc forum before you've been here a while :p
    We have quite a few Enchantress guides posted here, including the Bearenchantress setup. (though we lack an admin who will sticky stuff...)

I think you did very well in selecting the obvious items and one can possibly neglect the "pain" of havign to don al lthat gear, certainly for PvP! :D
    In game it should do too. Those +3 Fire Skills items should notbe hard to get, the other stuff is fortherich like you said.

I think this setup looks real fine :thumbsup:

13. Shug_Ninx

Shug_Ninx IncGamers Member

You made me bring up that feeling I had when Matrix reloaded was over...

Agent Smith crosses into the real world and NEO can somehow use his TO BE CONTINUED!

Come on, give us more. Something like this is actually pretty deserving of a guide [even though yo udidnt intend it to].

14. cxzphlyingkow

I think you miread my post i was trying to say that the people i originally wrote this for (bnet forums people) are not familiar with the enchantress build, yes i've seen most of the enchantress guides here.

Actually sometimes against people who just stand in one place and spam stuff I switch back from bear form and shoot fireballs in their direction, teleporting as needed. It's enough to do damage :)

I don't think it would be a good idea, and here's why: first of all, this class does not need anymore damage (which is what hoj gives), what it lacks is AR above all, i can kill some pretty good melee duelers and especially casters with a little more than half my damage, you really need the AR and attack speed bonus from the phase blade I mentioned. Also, using a crossbow means no stormshield, and that means almost instant death :)

Strider, taking out things like metalgrid and shadow dancers means changing many other things about the build (especially metalgrid, it's so important). However, I can make some recommendations, first of all, use a ravenfrost (or two if you REALLY cant hit) instead of soj, this puts you kinda strapped for mana though, so you might want to add some points into energy (around 50-60 should help a lot), So of those this leaves an open socket on the shako, I would suggest probably a +100 AR jewel or + def jewel in there, i can't think of anything better to socket (three 5% res/vita scs gives 15% res, which is = um, but five 3/20/20 scs give 100 AR, so you save 2 spaces for more AR scs! get those!:D) Take out shadow dacners and put in sandstorm, this requires two extra FHR scs or just one fire charm with FHR. I think those are the major problems of ladder-nonladder, i'll leave it up to you to work out the other little details.

Heh sorry, hmm let me think of some more stuff to write.....

I guess more class-specific dueling tips against some classes that i had trouble with:

WW asns: pain in the ***, most ww asns use venom which ignores energy shield, and they can kick, ww, and run, you can't hit them when they're ww'ing, and the kick comes so sudden it's hard to react towards it, what i suggest vs these asns is to just keep running in one direction, follow their WW and get hit by it, they wont do too much dmg to you at once, usually takes a couple of hit and runs to kill this build, just follow their ww closely and when it's finished hit them, once you get the first hit in it's pretty hard to escape.

Blizz sorcs(and tips vs casters in general): this was a concern raised by someone in another forum, but i assure you, you can outrun blizzards, try to out manuver the blizz sorc by constantly running away from her (this is also a tip vs ALL caster classes), just keep running, as far as you can, doesn't matter if they're off your screen, in fact that's probably better. Because they'll just hold down tele, and when they do that they usually lose control of it, turn around 180 degrees as soon as they're 1-2 teles away from you, and they'll usually tele right next to you, 1 hit, and sorc is dead. Also, if you meet a blizz sorc who just stays in one spot, you can always morph back to sorc and spam some fireballs to get her to move (fireballs still hurt even if it's level 1, because of max fire mastery and all the +skills)

Trapasins: what can anyone do against trapasins? they lay down traps, run around it and sometimes use mind control to stun, you CAN try the run away thing vs trapasins but its not nearly as effective as it is on sorcs, because trapasins dont actually have to do anything to attack, and well they're just lame, so match lame with lame, wear a wisp, blackhorns, or tgods, or all 3, and let their traps heal you. That'll teach them to play a cookie cutter class
    (BTW even if the other party wears rising sun i still do pretty good damage)
    Melee classes aside from WW barbs: no strat here, hold down mouse button.
    Necros: dont hostile necros :) you can't run away from necro if he prisons you

Orb sorcs: easier than blizz sorcs since orb sorcs tend to move a lot more, making themselves open, use same strat.

Elem druids: lol, thats all i have to say :)

Other druids: My friend has a fireclaw druid, the build is eseentially the same as my sorc, except he attacks one frame faster, does less damage, I think he has more ar/life/def, not sure, but i have energy shield, and he usually comes close to killing me but i dont think he's ever done it.

Zons: zons? people still pvp with zons?

Barbs: easy, JUST DONT CHASE AFTER WW, you can run alongside it, and hit when they finish ww, but NEVER chase after it, you will never hit if you chase after ww and they will hit you.

Finally, hammerdins: this is a 50/50 thing, again, run, wait till they tele close to you, I can kill pretty much all the hammerdins i meet with enough patience, you can take 2 hammers, but 3 = death, so make sure you stand at a spot where the hammer doesn't hit you right away, and your optimal frame of attack is when he just tele'd right next to you, you can still probably win as he casts the first hammer, but if he's done casting the first hammer and you still hhaven't clicked on it, then run away again and wait for him to tele some more. If if they dont have tele that's alot easier, especially when they try to catch you with vigor, just run, turn around and whack while they dont have conc on :)

One more thing, this is a little cheap, but sometimes you might want to use a mana pot or two while dueling, who's gonna know? hehe.

Also, you can make a lot of friends just power leveling people :D enchant and leave, it lasts 20 minutes hehe.

15. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Does less damage? Does he not have the uber equipment that you have or is it just your ability to pre-buff? That was one of the points of contention in what turned into a bear/enchantress thread (it was usually followed by "I want a sexy sorc not a big hairy man eater... boo hairy sorc").

16. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

To nitpick:
    Windruids - more info. cyclone armor will absorb fire dmg, but at least say something.
    zons - charged strike, 1-3 hit kills if you don't have max resists and some form of absorb
    zons - bowazons, may look easy, but comments still. knockback can be an issue with high ias variants.
    bone necromancers - further discuss.
    psn nec - further discuss
    summoner - further discuss

17. senji

senji Banned

no offense but that build doesn't even stand a chance in hcl west

18. cxzphlyingkow

Windruids - because i attack so fast and do so much dmg cyclone armor lasts for a split second, and then druid dies.
    Zons - Charge strike zons kill me in 3-4 hits , just like hammerdins, but they dont have nearly the def or recovery rate (holy shield blocking vs dodge and fhr) of paladins, i usually kill these zons before they hit me once. And i've dueled some decent ones.
    Zons - bowazons, are np because they dont do enough dmg to me for me to care, i just keep running and eventually catch up to them.
    Bone mancers - what's to further discuss? they spam BS and prison you, i can survive 1-2 prisons because they're easy to 1 hit but its impossible to go on the offensive against enig bone mancers, they'll just keep teleporting / prisoning / spamming bs, no chance vs this class.
    psn nec - good poison necs (like my old one with perf deaths web and darkforce etc etc) will of course kill me, since nova is a defensive spell, they wait for you to come to them, drop a bomb, and leave, and if their pnova even does anywhere close to my old one, it's almost instant 1 lifer without question of resistances/life, i am not aware of any melee class that can kill a poison nec, except ww/kick asns.
    Summoner - not aware of summoners dueling, but i guess decripify, run, and have skelies beat on me is always annoying (if that's what they do, never dueled a summoner b4), in that case i guess i'll just have to switch to sorc tele and again, catch them off guard while i'm on the run.

royalesse - our damages werent that different, i had just a little more than he did, it was mostly ES. same gear.

very irresponsible comment lacking any sort of explanation / proof. I will not bother retorting to such childish statements.

19. wy4251

wy4251 IncGamers Member

Suddenly forgot what I wanted to say... but well..

For prebuffing enchant, Omus Robe>> COH

For pvp, wind druid is tough because they dont just stand still and let you hit them. Even tougher if they use Doom. C armor absorbs 1 hit and can be recasted so quickly. While ES gets poped in 1~2 tornado (hurricane wearing down mana too), and you can't recast ES in bear form. Also, their pets are annoying, sorc bear has the worst FHR in game. Bad blocking speed too. So, a strong wind druid can usually beat enchantress.

fire claw druid. There are different ways to build it.. so the stats might vary. But usually they hvae more life (like 6k+) and AR (15k+). They might have 1 point in shockwave, combined with ravens, pets, 4 frame attack (so you should multiply their damage by 20%+ comparing to 5 frame attack.), usually if you just fight the strong ones face to face, toe to toe, chance is less than 50%. ES takes 1 hit and pop. But the hit point difference is much more than 1 hit.

Running away from casters might work.. for those who get impatient and tele next to you. But for others who are patient, they will approach you slowly and cast spells. You are going away from them, which means you are not threat to them at all. casters are supposed to go ranged anyway. Which is why sometimes a bow is good against many builds.

20. cxzphlyingkow

Yes a white +3 enchant orb would be better too, but I didn't bother switching even more gear because I don't need that extra 1-2k damage, and it takes up so much inv space, i already have about 0 inv space.

Wind druid are probably the only caster class that stands around and let me hit them, they have to get close to me to use tornado, which means instant death in most cases, you seem to underestimate how fast a 5 frame attack is. If they even try to recast cyclone armor, which only takes me one hit to remove, instead of constantly bombarding me with tornados, they're dead. It takes 2-3 Tornados, usually 3 to remove my ES which is ample time for me to kill them. Even if they remove my ES i can run away, morph, tele away even further, cast es while letting my mana regen, and go back and kill him. Level 40 warmth can be quite formidable combined with level 30 telekinesis, nightsmoke, 75% blocking, and decent def. And what you said about sorc bear having the worst FHR and bad blocking speed.... please check your info again, because only attack speed is affected by your base class, I recover and block just as fast as every other bear. How do you think I take on the best zealadins in the server? Not by recovering slow.

You make a lot of assumptions (wrong ones, mostly), and it's getting annoying so i'll just be frank with you. You're one of those guys who purely relies on theory, and you're not very good at doing calculations. ES gone in one hit, how'd ya come up with that calculator wiz? Because I can take at least two hits before my es is gone, and about 2 more after that --- enough time for me to kill them. I know my friend's fireclaw build by heart, and I can say that he has one of the best, if not the best fireclaw on the server, the only thing i could see him improving is getting 2nd mod'd skill charms instead of plain ones.

1. I can still outrun most casters
    2. I can morph and tele away
    3. I can spam fireball at a distance too, which like i said, is enough to kill (casters especially).
    4. if they tele next to me while i spam fireballs, i tele to next screen and morph tp bear form, then wait for them to tele again, if they dont, i'll spam fireballs again.

I have dueled the best of the best with this sorc, I had it for many weeks and all I did was duel, it's very frustrating that you're trying to correct me based on theories alone, trust experience over theory, wy4251, always.

P.S. im not going to discuss my friend's fireclaw build out of respect for him, so don't ask me.