Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Mauler

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Ce Olba, May 22, 2005.

1. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

My Mauler

I'm going to make a PvP Maul Druid. And as for gear i think the following:
    Fortitude Wirefleece
    5 shael Runemaster
    Dracul's
    Goreriders
    Verdungo's
    jalal's mane
    Stormshield
    2x ravenfrosts (for absorb,runemaster gives cbf)
    highlord

and skills:
    max lycan
    max werebear
    max maul
    max HoW

This gives me a total of 80 skills, which means either lvl 70-80 (depends on skill q's) and since i will be mainly pvp'ing on nm, i will get 6 skills from quests, meaning, that by skills, this build will be done at lvl 74. At that moment, i will have all of my gear, except Dracul's. And then i will lvl 2 more levels, and put points to get a good grizzly.

Any suggestions how i can improve this build? I'm on Europe Softcore Ladder, but i'm pretty poor, barely got that forti, so don't say "get botd or grief ffs, rm sucks"

2. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

First question, pvm or pvp?

3. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

i say PvP in the message. Read it again, carefully.

4. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

My bad then the weapon might be a bit slow check the calculator on top of the page. Most maulers use 6 socket phase with 6 sheals if poor or 4 sheals and 2 ias with a good second mod.

5. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

105 ias griz caddy.

6. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I agree with ink on the 105 ias griz caddy. Aside from that, you will want at least one point in shockwave (yes, it is necessary for that initial stun, and really, its very very helpful). Toss the dracs, use bloodfists (reasons:: 30 fhr, 40 life, and 5 min damage. 15 str=30 life, and lifetap is useless on a bear because of the low damage you will do)

dual ravenfrosts is good (higher the ar, the better)
    shael ss ( you *will* need it)
    shael/pruby the jalals (make sure you hit 86 fhr)
    highlords uber alles for an ammy
    if phase blade, then travs, otherwise, use gores.
    Cerebus would be my choice of a helm (usually can be had for pgems, but I dunno europe prices)
    as much + max, ss, or useful charms as you can get. if nothing else, 20 life smalls=a lot of life after lycan. I would suggest putting the rest of the points towards fireclaws. the extra ar and some fire damage after a maul charge really really helps.
    verds=I guess its what you got, so use it.

Good luck with him. I have made a couple of successful pvp maulers, and really, they are quite fun. However, don't get disappointed if he doesn't do "mega" damage or win often at first. they are hard to learn and even harder to properly play. But its very satisfying when you finally do.

--welt

7. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

Depends if you want 4 or 5 frames. Correct me if I am wrong but the griz only reaches 5.

8. Weltkriegpally

yes, but 5 fpa is often enough and it provides a nice high minimum damage compared to the all max setup of a phase blade. It also allows poorer mans bear builds to effectively work sometimes. (note that I use it myself much of the time, especially since I am just now acquiring the melee grands I needed from the get go). However, 4 fpa more often than not is superior to 5 fpa because of more hits.

--welt

9. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

My advice would be - dont make a mauler for pvp, ur poor and a good mauler is insanely expensive, u will just find urself on the losing end of the stick too many times for it to be enjoyable. If u insist on going werebear id suggest going fireclaw.

10. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Hmm lol. I'm not hunting for a perfect mauler, since i know those need 10 40 life shapes, botd zerk, forti, and all the shizzle. And i had a fireclaws, but he sucked, due to low dmg (6k, no skillers) and low life (1700 with lvl 1 oak) and he got owned, he is only good in tanking some low barbs like full ik. And for the ias, i will have 100% from runemaster, and 20% from highlord, and as far as i see, it will hit a with a ****load of speed, since my fc wb has 115% ias pb, and he hits really fast. And since i will have more, the mauler will hit as fast as him. And lol, i don't like casters, since they all need coh or enigma. And for melee, barbs need forti/enigma+botd. And smiters need forti+grief+exile+10 pc sk and zealots need forti+botd. I tested the dmg on my fc wb, he did 600 min with forti on (it was the first hit) and no HoW or max wb. And i used a skill calculatro to see, that i will get a lot of dmg from HoW, since i will max it. And maul will be high lvl too. But well, i guess that there's no pvp char for me then ? :(

11. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

oh, and i do have a 115% ias phase on my fireclaws druid. But i think that the damage will be too small even with 10 shape skillers+maxwb+max how+max maul+forti, or will it be enough to at least do good dmg ? Since i think that i will get 1+ shape skillers, which will, with jalal and highlord, boost my maul to lvl 35, as well as lycantrophy and werebear.

12. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Actually, pvp maulers are almost non existent those days because of the gear required to build them, and even with all perfect gear they are disadvantaged in many matchups. ( Im talking about a 120 max life archon, 30 max cerebus, 4 shael 2 ed/ias phase, 30 max storm). I dont think shapeskillers will quite cut it for the mauler either, u require 3/xx/xx's or 10/xx/xx's here. (because of low damage on the phase), sure it will work with the gear u listed but i only see it beating opponents like ik barbs and the likes. If u r happy with that of course go ahead.

13. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

Well, i don't really see the point of your post. I understand that u are saying that my mauler would suck. Well, i guess i will then just get eth oath ba and re gear my zealot, or something. But well, if mauler's are so expensive, then why does so many people have like 2 or 3 enigmas and almost perf exile and almost perf grief? Since mauler would have a lot of life (more than 3k probably with 40 life shapes), a lot of dmg (with grief+forti the dmg will rock), and a lot of defense (a ****load from max wb).

14. Forcefeedback

Forcefeedback IncGamers Member

With a 5 shael runemaster and highlords you will hit 7 frame maul attack speed. The reason for this is that weapon IAS and outside IAS are calculated differently and WIAS is much more important, also ettin axe has a base speed of 10 compared to cadecus's -10. With 3 ed/IAS jewel and 1 shael griswold's redemption you will hit the 5 frame maul breakpoint even without highlords(keep it for the deadly strike though).

15. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

3k life is nothing, more like 6-7k. But as i already explained - u cant use shapes- u must use max-ar-lifes and those are much more expensive. The damage u will do will be modest at best, compared to what zealots and fury wolves dish out. The main problem lies in the fact that bears have HORRIBLE fhr and block rates, HORRIBLE AR, and not the greatest defense either. Since 1.10 zeal was made uninterruptible, zealots got huge damage boosts, huge defense boosts. Wolves can use grief and hit 5 fpa still, doing insane damage, as for bears, well theres nothing that improved maulers, they r still stuck with pathetic damage weapons, doing even less damage now that pvp penalty is 1/6, and the fhr issue remains.
    Bears cant use grief - its way too slow for them. And your statement that bears have assload of defense is plain wrong too, its nothing compared to what a barb or zealot could get. Also, u dont seem to understand my point, good mauler items are RARE, i havent seen many 30 maxes being traded, and u need to assemble 6 of them. U need to assemble lots of nice max/ar/lifes, and the end result is just not worth the effort imo, when a half-assed geared zealot hands ur ass to u.

16. Ce Olba

Ce Olba Banned

ffs with u. U keep bull****ting about 32020's. That's so boring. And for hell's sake, where do u need 32020's, if u use 10 40 life shapes (dmg goes up a lot more than like umm, 9 max dmg for those 32020's ? And hmm, who gives a **** about speed, if u are mainly gonna do 1 hit kills ? just clicklock runners, and run until he dies. And defense, 1500 from forti, about 200% or more from max wb, that's a LOT. And the life, 165% life= more than lvl 30 bo, i've seen it. My barb's lvl 30 bo gives around 120 or so life, not sure. Good items are rare? Hmm, so what you're saying is that perf df is not rare ? Since a lot of sorcs on hell got those. And lol, a barb can easily get 5k 1h dmg with forti+oath, since my barb's got 4k max with forti and GRANDFATHER FFS. And yes, zealots do a hell of dmg if they use conviction+2 dreams+forti+grief, and maxed synergy to holy shock. But i didn't want to know something that i already know, do i? or is this a ****ing school ? NO? good. and lol, any perfect geared char will own any other char without perfect gear. If u use dual dream grief forti enchant melee sorc, u will own those enigma tele barbs in 1 sec. ffs, im making a pvp char. doesn't that already tell that i know about 50% pdr and the pvp penalty? i've seen it, my barb with grief did way smaller dmg than my smiter, which is, well, because of the visible dmg. I guess that u will have to ebay and/or bot to have a good pvp char, or at least 1 that will fit your taste, ice. You seem like those ****ing elite lamers, who are being owned in a nm pvp game with lvl 20 char, and they call u low lvl hoster, and then they get mad, and bring their tele chars to lame u. and if you are not 1 of those people, then pls, can u stop ****ING LAMING ABOUT PERFECT GEARED CHARS FFS???? im so full of that ****. it's lame.

17. Weltkriegpally

If you won't take ice's advice, take mine. I understand your need to make a mauler werebear. I have 2 of them (currently building more). They are NOT an easy dueler to learn, and you should understand that speed is pretty much necessary. so you need at least 5 fpa (the caddy), or 4 fpa (the phase), along with your shield. You can get away with shape shifter charms (I have actually used them, myself), but then you need to use the caddy first and foremost. You also need to reallize that without +max damage somewhere in your gear, then 1000% of crap damage is still crap damage. so try to get some if you can, please. I have managed to make maulers win with a barely 2k uncharged maul with a caddy. It is possible, but not easy. If you are going to try and use the runemaster, then you might be able to take on concentrate barbs (given that they hit at 9 fpa at best), but zealots and wolves will still be highly troublesome duelers for you. With reality speaking here, I have made these maulers, prebuffed with level 45 werebear. Given your fortitude, I expect you to have around 10 to 12k defense, maybe 15k with the chilling going off. while that isn't bad defense (and it most certainly helps), its not as good as barbs or paladins. However, you can get decent life with this setup. You can probably expect about 4.5 to 5k life with such charms. There are a few things you need to remember with your chosen gear setup:: if you are using a stormshield, you need faster block rate, so you will have to shael it.

faster hit recovery rates on bears stink, so you should have at least 54, and really, 86 is a much better breakpoint to hit.

speed is a very very useful thing, so if you can try the faster weapons out, at least for a couple of duels, then maybe you should go for it.

bears don't have good attack rating, so how are you doing to compensate? I really suggest a few max/ar/life charms mixed with the shape skillers. extra base ar really really helps.

Mauls damage and stun carry once its charged. You just have to get a hit with it once every 20 seconds after its charged to keep your ed/stun. This allows for more attack rating in the form of fireclaws. It also adds a little fire damage to the mix for the mixed damage stun lock. Very very useful information information to know.

Zealots will be a pain in the arse. uninterruptible zeal, their lifetap chance high, high defense, and nasty good block rates make them a pain. You can take them, however. one point spirit wolves is a very useful little trick. you should have 5 of them, so that gives you about 2 zeals before they kill them all, or about 2 seconds to land some hits before you take all 5 hits yourself.

Lycanthropy is a big help, tis true. However, your base points vita are 1 point vit=2 points life, so aim for as much +life (not life on clevel, +vit, either) as you can get without sacrificing dr, fhr, damage, or defense.

Good luck with your mauler, and maybe you will be able to do what so many in this forum could not:: make a good one.

--welt

18. lCE

lCE IncGamers Member

Amen brother. As for u mr know it all, i was just trying to save u some frustration, needless trading and lvling of a char that u will probably ditch very quickly but hey whatever floats ur boat. As for ur elitist hating, i understand, but u must realize that nowadays the level of competition is such that its required. (I also wish for the ladder reset btw, since im just as sick as u are of having to obtain near perfect gear to be on par with most peeps.)