Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My little Meph problem...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by LordPraetor, May 21, 2008.

1. LordPraetor

LordPraetor IncGamers Member

My little Meph problem...

Hi folks,

I know Meph MF has been discussed a thousand times, but I need your help, because I just found out how noob I am.
    I followed a guide and created an MF sorc. When I hit lvl 75 I thought that I'm ready for Meph: 109% FCR, max res, 60+% FHR, 75% block, 30+% FBR, ~900HP. So I hired an A2 Defense Merc (Normal, so Defiance Aura). The thing is, I can't kill Meph quickly. It usually takes like 1-1,5 mins just to kill him (NOT including tele through Durance of Hate)! As far as I know, this is very slow.
    My sorc is a FO sorc, maxed FO and CM (with +skills, they are at lvl 24 I think). I tele to Meph without problem, static him down, and then I start casting FO till he dies, which takes a lot of time.
    I'm new to these MF builds, and read that I must hit Meph with "sweetspotting" with FO. If I'm right, this means FO explodes right in him (ie the animation ends in his "skin"). Now the only problem with this, that then Meph should be far away from me, and he shouldn't be moving. That means he must have something to do. Since he won't stay to chit-chat with the Council Members and Ghould Lords, I have to hire a merc to keep him busy - but my fav merc dies like in what, 2-3 secs? Then Meph moves and fires his lightning / skull attack at me.
    I don't know much really about this sweetspotting. Searched the forums, google, even youtube, no luck. Maybe I do something wrong? I don't want to start a char over to make it a Blizz sorc with moat trick. Any ideas?

Btw, my equipment:
    Helm: Shako
    Armor: Up's Vipermagi
    Weapon: Wizardspike
    Shield: Whitstan's Guard socketed with Pdiamond
    Switch: Gull + Rhyme
    Amulet: Crafted Caster amu
    Ring 1: Bul Kathos
    Ring 2: Rare ring (+str, res, etc)
    Boots: Waterwalk
    Gloves: Trang-Ouls
    Belt: Bladebuckle

Merc equipment:
    Up'd "Shaeled" Kelpie Snare
    Rockstopper
    Black Hades

Thanks in advance!

Prae

2. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Re: My little Meph problem...

Orb can Moat Trick too, you know.

With my blizz sorc, when she used to be very weak, I used to tele to the red portal and lure meph there. Then I would tele to the large platform on south-left. When he's on the edge of your screen, he can't attack you but you most certainly can attack him. I don't know if that would make the Orb explode at the right place, though...

3. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Blizzard is definitely a lot better at Meph than frozen orb.

4. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Level up a bit more, and try to find a Shaftstop for your mercenary. Mephisto in Hell mode is mlvl 87. Even with the best armor setup your mercenary will get smacked around too fast at this level. It compounds the issue even further because your mercenary can't hit mephisto enough to make the slow effect happen fast enough to save him.

Everything else looks good. So, run the Ancient Tunnels/Baal run with a friend for a little while longer.

Sweetspotting just takes a little finesse. It takes me 1-3 shots before I've got Mephisto and myself in the right spot.

The orb should explode inside his animation. It's pretty easy to see when it's exploding before or after it hits him. You'll also notice when you get it right because it takes out huge chunks of his life bar.

If this is a battle.net character I suggest getting in on some Baal runs, or running the Ancient Tunnels with some people in the game for more experience.

5. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

Your have good sorc, so tank meph with your sorc. Try to be faster than your merc, so run last couple steps.

2xthawning potions, 2xantidote might be useful before fight, so you have both poison and cold resist in 85.
    You start and finish run from act4, so its easy to buy couple of those 'resist' bottles while selling loot.

Each bottle last 30s, so drinking two gives you 1min resist, should be enough.
    They give +50 resist and max is 85, so with 85 cold resist you can easily tank meph cold attack. Meph likes you use poison too, so that antidote bottles block that, or only tiny damage hurts you.

You don't have enough str to use thunderbelt, with that you can almost block that lightning attack too.

And drink those red potions after you get any damage, they slowly heal you up.
    After your merc gets his first attack, meph moves so slowly so its easy to continue tanking.
    Give merc guillaume+duress, so that crushing blow speed up your total killing time. At least if you do these in full games.

Not sure if you can use sweet spot orb while standing next to meph, but at least merc stays alive and meph should go down withing 10-30s. More crushblow, faster killing.

6. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

Regarding this "buffing" part. How many pots can u stack? Cause i thought they only reset the times.

7. DH Amazon

Not sure, I have used only 10 bottles. And resist still up after couple of minutes.

I play quite often with underdog build, so I have used those bottles quite often. Against andy, duri, meph, in hell nihlahtak runs, against blizz in travi, uber lilith,uber tristram.

off:
    Some tricks with bottles:
    For example norm duri much easier with bottles (drinking 2-5 thawning potions, buy some items to get 30 cold resist and thawning potions gives resist up to 85).
    With 85 cold resist+angelic amu+ring, then almost all chars can kill norm duri at lvl12 quite easily. Just park your char between wall and duri, no charging. You can even use gemmed bow if all skill points are saved. Duri is easiest Boss in norm. Weak and alone.

8. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I'm gonna have to try this thing with the pots.

As for Duriel, I think it's a quite hard boss. He has Holy freeze aura, which you can't do anything about. He's attack is both cold and physical. You can resist the cold but for the physical you need to tank.

I know only one feasible way to solo Duriel with a sorc at lvl 12:
    - use static (preferably with an orb that gives +2 + 3 static, so u have some range)
    - use blaze and run from him, takes some time but it's relatively safe.

If you are between him and the wall, looks like you're pretty much dead to me.

9. DH Amazon

Its actually quite low damage that duri does, when cold damage is reduced.
    Easy to control with life bottles. Charge attack and cold damage, those kills.
    By taking care both of those, its easy boss to kill.

You are right it easiest with sorc and static orb, but lets do it while using basic attack so all char classes can use kill.

No merc, she get killed there right away.
    Let say zero to vitality, as early points go usually elsewhere.
    Zero to dex too as that is usually left at base.
    At least some to str, for example 30str. And lvl12. With items below, you can do it with base str.
    Some uniqs are better, but lets do while using only set items, and no charms.

We need 35 or above cold resistance so thawning potion give 85 cold resist.
    Holy freeze slow use down, so plenty of ias helps here.
    Duri does cold damage too, so it slow us too. Cannot frozen helps here, but more slots in belt help more than that mod.

Luckily early sets are godly at low levels.
    Cathan helmet+ring gives us
    25 cold resist+ 15-20 fire damage + 10str + 6 life leech damage red by 2

Death belt+Gloves gives
    all res 15 (enough resist now, total 40 cold), 30 ias, cannot be frozen 8 life leech

Hsarus boots+Shield
    +10 str and some ar boost, damage red 2, no real useful mods here. Both uniq shield and boots are better here. Or sigon shield, but that needs +str charms.

Angelic amu+ring gives
    95 life+ar boost+10 dex

No real good armor or weapon, so why not use whole set with angelic, those weapons and armors drops often anyway
    all res 25 (not really needed) damage red 3, huge defense and 30ias.

60 ias, 15-20 fire damage, no frozen, 14% life leech, huge defense, ar boost, decent block, 85 cold resist 7 damage reduced and +95life. -> Duri goes down safely.

That is overkill, usually angelic amu+ring and little higher lvl 15-18 is more realistic and does job just fine.

You can drop death belt -> Hsarus belt, still cannot frozen and 4 more slots.
    Death gloves -> Bloodfist more life and damage and still 40 ias.

If you use dex charms, you can use whole arctic set and still have cannot frozen and even more life and damage. Or use gemmed bow. Little easier with shield, but bows are viable too.

Those early sets are nice, kills nicely and no need to put skill points/stats early on. Gives enough damage to get first 25 lvls fast.

10. Alecz

Alecz IncGamers Member

I see u made a quick general guide on how to get over Duriel at low level and solo. :smiley:

It's nice, and I think effective. My experience is that even defiance merc can't tank him. Sorc's are usually the ones that have the hardest time with him. For any other class you're better going toe to toe and as you said have some defense, cold resist, IAS, and life leech.

I have to solo Duriel more at low levels just to see how it goes :grin: