Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

my Light/Ice sorc is getn whomped.

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Saraph, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

my Light/Ice sorc is getn whomped.

i currently have a lvl 74 light/ice sorc.

im having trouble with MF. i have a crapton of trouble in nightmare..AND IM LVL 74!... i played 1 baal run in nm and i died 4 times. i went mfing in act3 nm and i died 3 times before even getn to durance 3.....

i have cruddy items. heavenly garb and a bunch of lvl 40 ish uniques... i need to MF to get better items.. i need better items to withstand NM MF'ing... so im really stuck. i tried to get anya so i could get resistances up.. but.. i died before even getn thru frigid plains, to the arreat platue... twice.. and elemental resis monsters, in part with my -4 resistences... im getn owned. and its frustrating the blue living F#$! outta me.

im desperate for some advice. but keep in mind... my sorc is very weak. so i need something DO-ABLE!

2. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

Youre in one of those situations where you might wanna switch out some of your equip for any decent rares you find, i know for a fact that there are some good rares dropped by NM andy and such, just go through the game and slowly replace your gear till you can do mephy

3. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

what should i look for?

resists? +skills? + life/mana?

4. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

Your looking primarily for resis, however i have an extra wizspike that you can have for free, it should help you out a great deal (need like 75 dex to equip though.) after resis you go for +skills and +enhanced defense and such.

5. Stiertje

Stiertje IncGamers Member

- What stat points do you have invested?
    - How much life do you have?
    - Do you use a shield? Does it block?
    - What cold attack do you have?

As for the Anya quest, make a multi-player game which has a convenient name and wait for some players to join.

As for your attack spells, Lightning based spells rely on FCR and mana. Else it won't be damaging enough to really kill fast. Generally in NM Frozen Orb is the best attack to use, provided you have it of course. This with at least 1 point in Cold Mastery and a nice Mercenary will get the job done.

6. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Well. im on USEast under *Saraph

if that offer on the wizspike is still open :)

As far as stats go. i followed a guide. but an old one :p

umm i got enuf STR for items.
    im struggling to major in Dex and Vit.
    like. il pump points into Dex for hopes of blocking.. which.. doesnt help that much since you need to really really focus to get a good chance of block.
    and... im struggling in Vit cause my Dex points are fualtering.

I dont mainly use a shield to block. il maybe use it next to a good Orb if it has some defense and resists that are good. but if a staff betters thos, il switch to that.

I use Ice Orb, next to TS and Frozen Armor.

Max TS, Max LM. Max Ice Orb..hmm close, if not maxed out Ice Mastery.

as far as a merc goes.. never used one. My mercs always get popped. I cant even provide good items for myself. much less my merc. id always use one in early levels but.. when they die, they are fired. i dont have the money,time, or items to baby sit mercs. im not that good at d2.

7. tl998

tl998 Banned

Wwell pretty much you want to restart your sorc. TS is a very, very bad skill in 1.10. I'd suggest a meteorb sorc if you're just starting out, since they're less item-intensive to play. And as for a merc. you will need one. Grab a nm DEF act2 merc, and make sure every time you level, he levels along with you. Give him a damaging weapon with leech, and a decent armor hopefully with resists. Kill nightmare andariel a whole bunch for decent rares when you are strong enough. Get a shield, and always have max block. That helps a lot. go for vitality only after you have max block.

8. Stiertje

Totally agree with above post.

Few pointers

- For max block it's best to use a shield with high "listed block" which is the block % you see when you hover your mouse over your shield.

- Put enough points in Vita, but not too much. Try to rely on gear for extra life.

- Don't put too many points in Energy. It sounds stupid for a sorc, but more then base Energy or max 50 points is generally not needed for a sorceress. Try to rely on gear for extra mana (rings, Sapphires in Armour and Helm etc)

- Get some extra resistance, for instance from charms or a perfect Diamond in your shield.

- Do not use an 1.09 guide for an 1.10 character.

9. [cK]Extreme

[cK]Extreme IncGamers Member

Just to play devils advocate.. i'll have to disagree with the above post. Leave Dex base and pump vita with all your extra stat points. Yes, i had to go there :buddies:

10. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

Get more resist by getting better gear, depends what you have. What are you using?

11. Stiertje

I said do Dex with a "good" shield.

12. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

i cant manage a shield .. dex... just too much to baby sit. i just go with 2 hand staffs.

what about making a barb instead?

do they have more resists? will it be any easier?

13. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

wrong forum to ask about barbs :p

To much to babysit? All builds need some effort. A Staffsorc will have it hard getting resists and life unless she uses Ondal's wisdom with high base life.

Putting all into Vitality is the option when you go with a staff.

Still you need to focus on resistances and on faster cast. You need at least 63% FCR to Teleport successfully past attacking monster and NOT get hit.

Ondal's is a nice option but its not an everyday items that drops:
    45% FCR, +3 Skills, +24% life (varies), +45 res (varies)

Otherwise its Wizard spike all the way with a Castershield like Lidless Wall
    +1 skills and added FCR.

With Wizspike and Lidless you will have enough FCR and can focus on maxing your resistances and also Faster Hit Recovery with other items.

You loose on your possible +skills with Wizspike, but it pays off until you egt better gear. Also get rid of MF gear that hinders your killing power.
    Keep MF-Gear on switch.

Sorceress Mantra:
    "I will do anything to not get hit."
    "I will not sacrifice killing power for MF."

14. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

Since he's having trouble even to give his merc useable equipment I don't think he can afford those items you mentioned.

For starter sorc I really recommend going orb/firewall, with the rest of the points spending on static. This is a very viable NM build and not mana intensive at all. For really cheap gears I recommend:

3d or ancient plenge tower shield/Scutum (lower str requirement, 3 sockets)
    3 socketed helm with either p.ruby or saphire, depending on what you lack
    [that is, until you find sol rune and make a lore runeword]
    Stealth armor
    The rest is anything you found on the way, with the following priority
    +skills
    resist
    fast cast
    life
    mana
    +mana per kill
    mana regeneration
    It's quite easy to find a +1 sorc orb with good secondary mods such as life/mana/resist. With 3d tower and normal/NM anya quests you have about 25 resist all in NM already. It's quite easy to obtain max resist to all with the rest of the equipments.

Stat points wise, go with
    75 str (or 71 if you use a Scutum shield)
    dex base
    all vit
    base to 50 energy

Skills points:
    20 orb/17 (slvl) CM
    20 firewall
    1 in warmth, and teleport
    10 in static
    the rest goes to fire mastery

15. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Ahh thx Prozerren. Much help :D

16. ayoko

ayoko IncGamers Member

Don't forget about crafting, you can make some pretty good caster stuff on the cheap (boots, rings, belt, ammy, etc.).

17. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Ayoko has a good point... keep your lvl 74 to craft weapons for other chars.

On your barbarian question... I don't recommend it if you're poor.

For a starter MF character people recommend (in no particular order): Meteorb Sorc, Trapsin, Hammerdin, and Skellimancer. Prozerran has the right idea though... Just make an MF character that you don't have the intention of taking into Hell. Run Meph or Baal for volume of mid-level items. Then create another character to run Hell.

The reason being is that no matter how many guides you read you will almost never get it right the first time. Just make a character with the intention of going to level 75. Keep them in NM and when you get decent stuff make a Hell MF char.

I personally recommend making a Sorc for NM runs since you can teleport to the boss you want to kill and pop'em. Everyone else has to run through someone/something. I'm testing out an enchant/static/firewall sorce. I'm pretty impatient with my merc as well. Since they get an experience bonus for actually killing a monster then I wanted to make a character that could get the merc a lot of kills.

Furthermore if they kill a boss their Magic find gets added to mine. So this way I can get extra MF on my merc as well. Firewall isn't definite... inferno looks appealing since it has the same synergy as enchant... and still... I made an inferno sorce before and I hated waiting for the set up animation. (Lastly remember this build will not go very far in hell but it's for NM boss runs.)

18. [FLS]prozerran

[FLS]prozerran IncGamers Member

oh and I forgot, get a HF merc and try to have him around the same level as you. He can help out a LOT. Don't bother with +life gear. Give him things with high defense and high resist, along with a weapon with leech. Once you start to MF (NM meph/baal should be quite easy after you get to lvl 70-ish), you can equip him with better things each day. Also remember that the chill effect of frozen orb and holy freeze STACK, which is quite amasing when you see monsters desperately trying to swing at him. Shop a lot in the shops in act4/5 in nightmare for a lance with decent mods. It may take a while but it's the easiest way to obtain one without help from others. (Just as a side note, decrepify also stack the chilling effect of HF and orb, the monsters hit with three of those are hardly moving. gogo reaper)

The normal set items, I only recommend that you keep cathan's ring/ammy, angelic ring/ammy, and the sigon's set. With only two pieces the set gives 10% life leech already. Really helpful for a merc early on, and still survivable in nightmare. There are some nice normal unique items too but I don't think you can find them until you start MFing.

19. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Well iv been working on a skellimancer in the last weeks. im prep'ing him up for NM rightnow. I figure il do norm baal runs til 50-60 ish, if possible. so maybe i can just use him for noob MF char.

20. Saraph

Saraph IncGamers Member

Well. i went ahead and did some NM andy runs. ony my 1st try i scored Dusk Shroud and a unique hatchet. may not seem like much, but big to me since its the 1st time if successesfully MF'd anything halfway decent.

im gonnna get back to it. :) thx everyone.