Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Life...as requested by Durf

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Boulos, May 26, 2005.

1. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

My Life...as requested by Durf

I took a long break from D2 and spent it playing Asheron's Call 2. I also continued working for a mutual fund company. I'm now married (3 years) and have a beautiful little boy named Joey who is 8 1/2 months old. I just can't wait till he's old enough to start playing D2. I am in the process of buying a house. Actually, I already bought it...we're just waiting for it to be built now. A note to those not living in California...buying a house costs a freaking fortune out here!!! A 3 bedroom/2 bath house at 1678 square feet costs well over $300,000.

Hmmm...not sure what else to throw in there. If you are single and get married, be careful...it's very easy to get fat. :)

I still enjoy smoking cigars...my wife doesn't usually appreciate it though. :)

That's about it. I still can't get characters through the game very quickly and I don't do MF runs very well. I just can't seem to pass up monsters to get to Meph. I always end up killing the Council Members in his chamber and the other mobs down there...then opening all the chests, etc. I'll have to break that habit if I want to get good gear faster. :)

Well, that's it...sorry for boring you all with the details of my life.

Oh, one last thing. For those of you who don't have kids...there is nothing like it in the world. It is the best thing I've ever experienced. For those of you that do have kids...you know what I mean. And you are reminded of it every time you walk into a room and that little face looks up and smiles at you.

2. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Hello. Nice re-intro there. Sounds like we're pretty similar! Got a wife and daughter, definitely nothing like a kid! I'm pretty sure we're moving out to Monterrey here in a year, so thanks for the warning. Though I believe the wife's BAH should cover a healthy mortgage ( /me prays ). I work in a cigar shop out here, what do you like to smoke? Believe it or not, you are the first person on a d2 board I've met that appreciates fine tobacco. I get cigars at cost (even OpusX :clap: ) so I like to try lots of things.

3. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Hi Doug, Monterey is even worse than my part of the state. I'm in Sacramento. I would love to work in a cigar shop...talk about a job that doesn't exactly seem like a job. :)

I like to smoke Montecristos, Romeo y Julietas...usually medium strength cigars. I like Maduros mainly, but don't most people? I prefer cigars in the 50 ring gauge neighborhood. Toros are a good size 6.0 x 50. I've had some Cubans in my day. Some were very strong...others were really flavorful.

I have smoked about 4 or 5 Opus X's in my life. I know they are all the rage and hard to find...but I found them to be a little strong for my taste.

I just ordered a box of Hoyo De Montereys. I think it was the Exquisitos. They were 6 x 50 and smoke really nice. Went through 3 of them last weekend.

4. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

hello boulos. if you think that is bad you should try surrey in se england where i live. a similer property to that you describe would set you back between £250,000 and £350,000 or more depending on the land area. thats £ sterling so more or less double it for usd... dune

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Ah . . . thanks, that's much better. :)

You should have waited a bit longer on the house. My folks will be selling one of the two houses they have in San Rafael (right next to each other; kind of a long story). You could have had it for just about $600,000, I'm sure!

6. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Hey, Boulos. Good to see you around. Sounds like you are living the life of Riley. Keep it up, give us something to shoot for.

7. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

Welcome back from the self-proclaimed longest running lurker.

P.S. Durf - if you don't mind me asking - is there any sort of community amongst people working in your profession? Interestingly I happen to know a young woman working in Japan as a translator, though I'm not sure where she's living at the moment. She works primarily with noteworthy American visitors to Japan. Was curious if there was any chance you two had met. Unlikely, but...ya' know.

edit:

BooO! Move to Seattle. We have better coffee.
    |
    |
    |
    \/

8. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

$600,000?? I'm going to need more gold find... :)

I know there are other areas that are more expensive. I think I'll stay in this part of the world though. I love California.

9. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

For your son's first Diablo2 character I suggest a barbarian or druid. They're tough, party-friendly and... full of life. ;)

10. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Yes. Looks up and smiles at you. Then you realize that something smells like it's burning. And something shouldn't be burning in the livingroom. Not at all.

Crazy kids and their science experiments...

(No, I have no clue what I'm talking about)

11. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Well, that's something to look forward to. No chemistry sets until he's at least 1 year old. :)

The burning smell I get now means I have to change his diaper.

12. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

:lol:

My sister just had a baby this last February, and I'm pretty sure that isn't a burning smell. It smells more like... well... it kinda smells crappy. Y'know?

Then again if it IS a burning smell, be sure you're not letting him get too close to any open flames. ;) :p

13. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Mate, that's cheap! seriousely, come to Australia, see if you can buy a decent apartment with that kind of money. May I dare to say you will get a 2 bedroom apartment if it is in okay location. eg. in Canberra, 2 bedroom apartment in good location, starting from around $450,000.

14. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Great to have you back Boulos. :clap: The place has changed some, but not too much. I hope you recognize some of the folks still here.

A for kids, I agree! My daughter is all grown up now, but I remember well the time when she was a young girl - inquisitive, and full of energy!

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Actually, there are a bunch of mailing lists and groups that lots of us are involved with. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) to let me know her name, or tell her you've seen Peter Durfee wasting time online, if you want to . . . there's certainly a chance that we've seen each other's names online.

16. Day

Day IncGamers Member

London prices are even more scray in Kensington (one of the better parts) a 2 bedroom apartment runs at around £800,000+. Where I live in Sw19 (about 5 miles away) that will buy a 2000sq ft semi detached 4 bedroom house!

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

That is cheap compared to house prices round here. South east england is way to overcrowded, and in my town the average price for a 3 bedroom, normal sized house (i live about 60 miles from london, in a reasonably well off, not very crowded area) is around £500k. thats over $900,000. And i guareentee that your house is bigger.:lol:
    edit: damn, day pwns my prices. but then kensington is one of the most exlcusive, snubby areas in central london.

18. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

Ok, you guys are talking about Hawaii and England. I'm talking about Northern California. If we wanted to get into "exclusive" neighborhoods, we can talk about the prices in San Diego...which is in Southern California. The house I bought is well out of town. I'm going to have a 45 mile drive to work...each way!! :)

It's all good though. I can't wait till the house is ready. Should be ready in July.

19. Darkwell

Darkwell IncGamers Member

If it's anything like Fresno, you'll drive 2 hrs to work.

20. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

My hometown, Manhattan Beach, California, has the highest median prices in the state, at $1.3 million. Ridiculous, although it's a very nice town.

Also explains why I now live a couple of miles away, in Redondo Beach. Median price here is down to a much more reasonable $900,000.

- Noodle