Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My ladder restart: progress report

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ron, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ron

ron IncGamers Member

My ladder restart: progress report

A few weeks ago, I archived all my charcter files and atma stashes to begin anew.

I created one of each character class, and took off running. I have a summon necro leading the way with around 200% mf. He is currently at the RoF wp in Act 4 Hell. Diablo will fall tonight, and probably a good chunk of act 5.

I started a meteor/FO sorc, but stopped at level 25 at the Kurast Docks. My summoner found a nice +3 Meteor Ormus Robes, for me to try out when I get high enough level to use it.

I started all the other characters. Each of the others, I will try a build that I have never used before. The assassin will be a kicker, the druid will use the wind skills, either a zerk or throw barb. I'm not sure about the pally. The only pally build I have tried was a hammerdin. My first character ever was a pally, and he had at least one point in every single skill. He completed normal, and half of NM, but was completely broke after that. I may make a frost zealot, or an avenger.

Maybe you guys could provide some input as to the barb and pally builds. What were your favorites and why? I almost never play melee characters, so any tips would be great!

Thanks for reading!

2. DontFret

DontFret IncGamers Member

Try a Tesladin as your pally, using a crescent moon phase blade rocks... at high lvls is so powerful. Use the tesladin guide in the stickies, and maybe use holyfreeze as a backup (thats what i did and patted at 81-82 i think)

3. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Tesladin huh? I will have to read up on that.

My summoner stopped at the WSK2 WP. I found a really nice Gheeds Fortune in the Chaos Sanctuary. I posted the stats in the item find thread if you want to see it. I plan on running meph a few hundred times this weekend.

My Meteorb sorc started at level 32 last night from the Frigid WP in Normal. I ripped through act 5, did a few norm baal runs, then started NM. I went all the way through NM last night, stopping after I did the Den in act 1 hell. I am only level 64, so I will go back and do some NM Baal runs until around 70. Frozen orb is just insane. I maxed it out, and have a few points in CM right now, and can do P8 NM Baal runs without too much difficulty. Listers pack requires a lot of manuevering to kill, but the XP is off the hook!

I think I will start the assassin next, but I am not sure. The wind druid is VERY slow to play, since my skills stink right now.

I'm having a great time with the restart!

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Nice :thumbsup:

You have got your characters up and running pretty fast. For sure it is much easier when you already know quite a bit about this game :)

edit: my favourite barb build is berserker. I just love the brutal force of the skill :D They are not even near as equipment dependant as many people think. Zerker is much more interesting to play than conc barb in my opinion. Have you read Nightfish's Berserker barb guide? IIRC it is written for untwinked HC so it might be very helpful, you don't have that much twinking gear (yet)

5. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Matter of fact, I just finished reading that guide 2 minutes ago! I have a question that I couldn't find an answer for though. I want to use the find items skill, but am not sure if the type of build makes any difference. I wouldn't that that it does, but I don't want to get to level 60 and find out it does. Do I just put a point or 2 into FI and start horking away? I have played 2 barbs, both on Bnet, both had full IK set waiting for them on a mule. One was a Leaper, the other a WW. I didn't enjoy either of them.

I would eventually like to use him for GF. If the zerker will fit this role, that would be awesome!

Yeah, I can move through the game pretty fast if I want to. I wanted to get the summoner up and running for mfing, and the meteorb ready for countess runs. All the other characters will be played at a slower pace. I chose the first two builds for my lead off characters for thier ability to make it to hell quickly, so I can get nice items for the follow on characters. The summoner was the first, and he made life very easy for the sorc. Vipermagi, frosty/magefists, +3 frozen orb wand, +2 enchant "leaf" staff, Tgods...all great items to improve the survivability of my sorc. All my other characters will be twinked out the wazoo. I already have tons of sig boots/gloves. The assassin is wearing death gloves/sash, angelic rings/ammy, etc. I have some nice 2 socket armors for stealth and such.

6. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I don't think the build matters, but keep in mind im not a experienced with using barb for item finding, someone else has better ideas for sure. Naturally, the build which kills fastest is best for MFing. When talking about barbs, it would be WW build. But as you have already tried one and didn't enjoy playing him, its out

Concentrator, zerker or frenzier are you options (thrower might work too, but I can't really comment on this because I have never played one). All those builds have their strong and weak points: conc barb is safe, but he is not the fastest at killing monsters. Berserker needs warcries for crowd control and is generally more fragile, but he can deal nice amount of magic damage, most monsters don't have resist for it. Frenzier also needs some supporting warcries...his damage is not as high as berserkers, but he is hitting and running fast. Just pick up the build which sounds interesting and try it

Usually people use Heart Carver and some MF weapon (Gull, Ali-baba) on switch for horking dead monsters for items/gold

Currently I am questing with a zerker barb (lvl 81 now) and I have put one point in Find Item, I have been planning to use him for MFing in the future. I also put one point in Increased Speed to make runs a bit faster

7. ron

ron IncGamers Member

This is exactly what I plan to do also. I love GF, so will most likely use dual ali babas. I doubt I will have enough lems to socket it with those, but GF jewels are common. I love whacking nm/hell council for gold drops. Great place to mf in my opinion. In the past I have found tal's ammy, homonculus even a mara's once from them. I also love seeing 40k plus piles of gold. I am using my summon necro right now. Not much in the way of GF gear, just chancies and one dwarfstar. My merc wears upgraded Goldskin, and does the lions share of the killing, so I see 20k piles of gold right now. I plan a wealth armor, goldwrap and Crown of thieves, but I don't even have the alibaba yet. Some of the best hats/ammys I have ever had came from gambling. If any are interested, I will post about my progress. I am really comfortable with the MF/GF summon necro build. It is the only Guardian I have ever made so far. Unfortunately, mfing hell council is exactly how I lost him! :( FE death pop while running from a very painful blizzard is what did me in. That was HCL on Bnet.

8. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

Fanatic Zealots are pretty much my favorite build of all time. Great speed, Good damage, max block and you can get respectable defence by pumping defiance for the synergy (though personally I prefer to pump smite for the stun duration).

Barbs... meh. I've yet to find a build I really like. I've tried WW, Leaper (fun, but not a "serious" build and annoying with the bug, a half-hearted attempt at a Frenzy build. I guess I just don't get into them.

9. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Yeah, I am the same way with barbs, but I am "forcing" myself to try it. I may love it if I give it a chance.

I am determined to Pat/Mat one of each character. When I accomplish that, I will Guardian one of each. After that, maybe n00d! Who knows. Just trying some different things out for fun.

The tesladin seemed pretty interesting. I have an Um for Cresenct Moon, and a 3 socket phaseblade shouldn't be too tough to come by. I am not dead set on it yet, but it will not be my next build so I have time to think it over. Heck, it may be a few months before I get to it.

Thanks for all the great input folks! Keep em coming.

10. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Well, I made Pat with my Necro, got a unique Grim wand to replace my shopped +2 necro skills blue wand I was using. I did a few Baal runs, until I got owned by a boss pack of Gloams. My resists are absolutely aweful in my MF gear, as can be expected. I did 30-40 hell meph/pindle runs last night, got an occy for my sorc, and a few other nice finds. The best being a Reapers Toll, but I also found Draculs last night. With my old characters, it took me FOREVER to find Draculs, so I was very pleased to see them in the first 10 elite uniques that I have found!

My sorc made it past Andy, and cleared up to the Lost city. I will be doing Ancient Tunnels to level up. My MF is at 50% due to the shiny new Occy, but thats all I have on her. She will be a countess runner, so MF isn't a priority, I will set her up as I find it. I plan to have her up and running countess consistantly by the end of the weekend. That way, when I get burned out from countess runs, I can continue questing with her.

11. ron

ron IncGamers Member

Great weekend for me! Found a 2 socket Crown of Ages, and a 26% Mara's among other things.

I started a tesladin, and he's at level 56 in act 3 NM right now. Jeez, that guy rocks! I made a Cresent Moon Phaseblade for him, and it is simply amazing. My other gear kinda stinks right now though. I played up to act 3 at P8 with no problem at all. I took a break and then started act 3. I forgot to set it back to P8, and was surprised when whole packs of flayers would drop dead just from the shock aura. Big Fun!

12. DontFret

Hey Ron,
    Glad you took my advise ! Seriously, tesladins rock w/that CM PB ... sorry I forgot to tell u about the great fun part ;) Keep us posted and I hope you find an atma's ammy for my worthless strafer..... just/seriously/kidding ;)

13. ron

ron IncGamers Member

I have to fix his resists, but other than that he is awesome. If you give me an email, I have an Atmas ammy for ya!

14. DontFret

PM sent and thx !