Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My hunter druid is no fun, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by prion, Apr 14, 2008.

1. prion

prion IncGamers Member

My hunter druid is no fun, any ideas?

I'm not an expert but i've been around a while. I'm seriously questioning whether the "huntermentalist" build spec can reasonably be considered viable on its own, or if it requires certain gear.

currently level 77.

he can't take more than a few hits in hell A1 because of low life. Neither can my wolves. Whn attacking a Carver camp the combination of wolves and solar creeper is not enough to get rid of the corpses, I often have to kill the same thing 3-5 times if I don't find ALL of the shamans right away. I have to summon new wolves frequently.

The monsters don't go down fast enough that this becomes a major consideration. I can be making progress toward the shaman and find myself surrounded by the dudes he's ressurected.

I've soloed act 1 and part of act 2 but i've tried to go after the countess at least 5 times and had to abort for various reasons, either i've died or i couldn't get past an archer boss pack or it's taken so long to kill things in the Marsh and find the damn tower that I've gotten bored.

here's my gear:
    upped WWs shael/ED jewel
    skin ofthe vipermagi open socket
    visionary +1 pelt
    seraph's hymn amulet
    scintilating ring
    raven frost
    crafted blood gloves 20 IAS
    hsarus belt and boots (using these for the AR)
    have a bunch of res from my charms, some cold damage, some life
    switch: spirit+lidless for prebuffing summons

using a might merc

stats/skils:
    str 89
    dex 181
    life 675
    res 57/57/50/18

max volcano and fissure (24)
    5 cyclone armor
    max HoW (24)
    level 13 dire wolf and level 6 bear

I don't think the characters weakness is such a big deal if he could actuallly kill things at a decent speed. I just went and cleared out the carver camp that gave me such a problem that I was prompted to post this--it took something like ten minutes to finaly track down all the shamans. So I guess technically it's "viable" it just takes so long it's not fun.

I think this is also the second time I've gone to post this, because I know I don't have the best gear so I'm not really sure if I have cause to post. But if I've got the basic needs covered is better gear really going to make a difference?

whatever anyone wants to say go ahead...

2. Ed from Russia

Ed from Russia IncGamers Member

Re: My hunter druid is no fun, any ideas?

In short, right now your fire damage is low because you don't have enough skill bonuses and your summons are weak because you didn't invest enough points.

In detail:
    - A Fire Huntermentalist is not a cookie-cutter build. If you're used to Hammerdins it will be very slow. If you don't enjoy the play style you should just get away from summoners.
    - Your gear is below optimal. You want stuff with skill bonuses, including Jalals, Magefist, a Druid Torch (not too expensive) and Elemental skillers. Also consider boosting your bow effectiveness with Razortail and War Travellers.
    - You should have maxed Wolves and Grizzly before investing in HoW. I would also have selected Oak Sage because most of your damage should come from Fire (unless you focus even more on your bow).
    - If you get hit a lot your play style might be too agressive. The trick is to retreat behind your wolves when you approach monsters, and cast Fissure under them. Next, use your bow to take out range attackers and revivers/bosses. Use your Ravens; cast them close to revivers/ranged attackers to blind them.

Did you read my guide in the stickies?

3. prion

prion IncGamers Member

the thing is, i need HoW to be able to hit anything with the bow.

I guess it's that or use a blessed aim merc...

but then if I had gone with oak and blessed aim merc I wouldn't have any damage boost! The problem isn't even the fire damage, its the fire immunes.

4. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

I'm no expert but.. your gear is pretty weak, I don't care a friggin' windy would suck with that gear >.>

If I had to make one of those, I guess my ideal gear would be something like:

up'd Jalals 'ber' (8%dr)
    Faith :: cta/spirit monarch (switch: BO & precast :thumbsup:)
    Enigma (8%dr)
    string (15/8)
    dracs (lifetap/OW--prevent heal vs big guys)
    anghellic ammy/ring/bk
    Aldurs boots

Dtorch, anni, 8xSummonGC, ~15x5% resist all/lifer, 3%frw sc's.

For skills I'd deffinitely max Grizzly/Direwolf first, use 1 point Oak till I get to like lvl 90+ and I can afford a good ~10 points in HoW then switch over, especially if you're sorta low in the life department. Oak I think just does much more for you, especially if your pets aren't pulling their weight :sad2:. Also, enigma would offer you not only more damage, speed, lil DR... but maneuverability with your pets (especially if you can get your summons like ~lvl 40+) will help your killing speed dramatically and they'll stay alive forevaaaa :wink3:.
    Since you can't like "command" your wolves to attack the shaman and shyte lol, your only real means of control is to teleport around with your merc and pets (minion stack) as you drop fissures/firearrows away here and there. This isn't saying that ALL you'd be doing is teleporting around, but it really helps for control, getting away, survivability etc 'cause if you teleport on that same Shaman & clutter with minion stack... your pets will get hit first and shield the damage generally. Same goes with skeletal archers if you stomp on them.

Summon GC's are so cheap they're almost free lol. Get a bunch of them, since your survivability depends more on your pets first. Only reason I wouldn't go the other way around, putting fissure primary, summons as backup etc, is that fissure I found can still be really really awesome and effective even at lower damage (~1500) whereas your summons... just wont, they're glitched where the higher lvl and +skills, they get almost exponentially stronger. The difference between a ~lvl 30 fissure & lvl 40 might be only marginal, but lvl 30 grizzly vs lvl 40 is ridiculous.

5. PacoQuerak

PacoQuerak IncGamers Member

eh, just want to note if you ever get rich, a summoner with a last wish act 5 merc kills fast. I g rush people to act 4 hell with mine and haven't gotten one complaint for taking to long. The claw viper temple is tricky though lol, damn snakes rocked me the first time i ever tried it. Now i hug the walls.

6. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

i'm using less than ideal gear with mine and doing fine. i'm slow rolling act2 about to do duriel.

my gear:
    jalal (ias jewel iirc)
    highlords
    harmony blade bow (wewt another tank)
    lionheart in a dusk
    magnus gloves
    rare ring/ravenfrost
    razortail
    random boots (been using IK, aldur, whatever other characters dont need)

spirit/lidless for summon prebuff

merc is might (or blessed aim, i was trying him at one point) with reapers toll, rockstopper and some random exceptional unique (shaft or duriel's).

torch/anni rest is mostly large charms of life (some with ar). maybe one summon skiller.

for the amount i spent on his gear and the amount of gear changes i've done i'm well pleased with his progress. so far the toughest bit has been the arcane sanctuary that had both fire immunes (goat guys) and physical immunes (ghosts) in great quantity. when i have either one or the other i've been fine but the narrow areas stalled me a bit. i've been walking most of the game and at one point used wws. after i was able to find a decent elite bow to put harmony in i havent changed back.

i believe as some have pointed out that it's your skill placement. i think your gear is alright, but you need to worry less about your bow. you're not going to be the main damage dealer with it (you're not a zon). it's more of a tertiary means of dealing damage. my chance to hit the run of the mill act 2 critter is in the high 70's to low 80's. if you are going to worry about ar and damage from your bow you will have to have a better one. preferably one with ITD. the utlimate weapon has to be faith, but it isnt needed imo.

7. PacoQuerak

How much do you think valkery contributes to your team and how offten do you have to re-summon?

8. Ed from Russia

In my experience she dies a bit too often and does quite poor damage compared with my wolves. But I got a bad roll on Valkyrie points (I think lvl 2, is that bottom?).

9. crawlingdeadman

i agree. i got a low roll and would like a few more +all skills to get her higher (one reason i picked highlords). compared to bear and/or wolves she seems to die alot. i think some of this is due to her AI being different. she always seems to be alone vs a pack while wolves will stick together better. i feel if i could get her to 12-15 or so that'd be great.

ps. i have started to screw around with the revive charges too. if you do this do not put your harmony in a superior bow.

10. PacoQuerak

Hey you know 2 highlords is worth one 20 res maras? atleast here on east ladder.

11. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Update

yah.

I didn't change his gear much but got my merc a far bigger pokey stick and a rockstopper; the last 3 points have gone into Dire Wolf and i got a free torch so my skill levels are boosted. It definitely had an effect so I think the assesment that I levelled wrong was essentially correct.

however i did notice that even *spamming* raven on the monsters that resurrect does not do much; the blind effect lasts only a second or two, kill speed is not fast enough to take advantage of it.

tombs were terrible, wolves can't eat skeletons apparently, so i grabbed a nature's peace and it didn't work well since my char does not get the bulk of the kills, and mana vine gets retarted sometimes and I had to cast it right on a corpse to get it to destroy the corpse (yes i did need mana at the time) . Finally i decided i wanted to get to duriel sometime tonite so i brought my frostmaiden in to clear the tomb.

I have to recommend against this build for UNTWINKED play. at least not for trying to solo.

12. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

I disagree, I did the build solo P8 Untwinked Hardcore just fine. I stopped at Act IV NM since DII got borring for me but I only had 1 NDE and am using BASE vitality.

13. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I wouldn't consider that the experience needed to disagree. Unless you've been in hell mode with this build and dealt with the hundreds of PIs, large increase in monster life and massively lowered resists, this build performs entirely differently. Not saying it can't be done; I've played through hell with crappy gear on a similar hunter build on softcore and it worked (eventually). But it's a whole heck of a lot harder and slower than it was in nightmare.

@prion - your merc is hopefully a might merc: get insight on him and you'll have no mana troubles like you were listing before, and he will still do good dmg. As others have said, your skill point distribution is a major part of what is slowing you down: even the 3 more points you have put in dire wolves still leaves you with less than max dire wolves and a very low bear synergy. Unfortunately at lvl 78 or 79 as you are now, there is not too much you can do skill point wise to correct it fully. However, if you do as Jary suggests and dump some of your ar & res charms for +summoning gcs, you will see a great difference. As CDM put it, the main source of your damage should be your minions and your bow should be a back up physical attack.

-f

14. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

With WWS the only problem should really be FIs and FI Ghosts. Regular PI's fall to Fissure and FI's get bounced by the summons, though it takes longer. I was assuming that Prion was using BNet for this character so the difference between, say P1 and P8 is grand, not necessarily sure if that is comparable to P1 Hell life but I don't see it as THAT vast of a gap. My point was that the build is viable untwinked and took offense to what I see as a disuse of the build because due to inexperience.

15. prion

prion IncGamers Member

I felt that people should see the other side of the story, i have visions of some poor newbie cruising thru NM with this build on HCL, being the first lvl 75 druid and then getting killed by a fallen in the cold plains. Thanks everyone who posted.

16. SPIDERfrank

SPIDERfrank IncGamers Member

Are upgraded Kuko Shakaku bows any good?

In .09 cow days, I used a regular (before upgrading was an option) b/c of the explosive arrows. Once my Bear and merc were able to focus on a group of enemies, I would just hammer them with Explosive/Knockback + psn scs and large charms.

On a separate note, I would love to make a Huntermentalist Druid for the new ladder season. Time to go check for updated guides.

17. Ed from Russia

It wouldn't be my first choice but I think it would do; you'll get pretty decent damage. IMO Better options are Harmony (cheap), Widowmaker (a bit expensive), Windforce (more expensive), Faith (even more expensive) and perhaps Ice (very expensive).

18. Dandpin

Dandpin IncGamers Member

Can someone recommend where to put most of the attribute points towards? im building a hunter/druid and its quite fun so far.

19. crawlingdeadman

i'd go with vit. to me the bow is just something to do while your fire skills are in cool-down and your minions attack. if you actually want to make your bow hurt more, then go dex.

20. Dandpin

Dandpin IncGamers Member

Which style of hunter/summoner/fire druid would be best in PvP?

I know they aren't going to win versus cookie cutter builds

but out of the build styles which would be most effective?

skills? stats?