Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Godly Trapper needs boots n' gloves

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by C_Narcissus, Mar 16, 2004.

1. C_Narcissus

C_Narcissus IncGamers Member

My Godly Trapper needs boots n' gloves

Alright so after scrapping my Tiger PVPer and then dismantling my Talon chaos kicker, I decided to be cheap - there's got to be a way to kill hammerdins and enigma necros quicker and easier right?

There is - a trapper.

Current gear:

Enigma Archon
    Shako (open socket)
    Hoto
    Stormshield (pdiamond)
    Mara's
    SOJ
    Bul Kathos (trying to replace with 2nd SOJ)
    Arachnid Mesh
    Trangs Gloves
    Waterwalks

Switch Weapon: Widowmaker

Ok here's the explanation...

I maxed Lightning sentry, my main kill trap, and all of its synergies. I've got 8 trap charms and an anni so that gives me level 41 traps, and I do almost 9.5k damage with them. As if that's not enough I'm currently maxing Venom (level 20 now, 13 points left to go on that...) so that when I switch to the widowmaker I can poison people with guided from afar as they dodge traps/run away/die. It's extremely effective and I've been yelled at in many dueling games so far. I've got over 1600 life, and 500 mana, which is plenty. If it's not I'll give my sorcs CTA to the trapper and buff with that before putting the widowmaker back. Anyway...

My gloves I use for the cold resist, 20% faster cast, and 25% poison skill dmg on venom. Is there anything better??

My boots I use because honestly I have no idea what else to use. I could use some resists but the life addition on the waterwalks is nice. What should I be using??

Is there anything else I'm missing? If you've got it, also, contact me...ladder only.

EDIT: What should I put in my widowmaker and shako? They're both open... I was thinking light facets or maybe shael in the widowmaker since I usually use burst of speed that would make it significantly faster.

2. Baztard

Baztard IncGamers Member

light facets dont work on traps!

3. PiscesIscariot

PiscesIscariot Banned

They work on +dmg but not -res.

4. Shadow752

Shadow752 IncGamers Member

Gloves: These really are your best bet as all of the mods help your build so definitely keep these.

Boots: Waterwalks are also fine as they add life and other nice mods. You could get a pair of duped boots if you play uswest non-ladder they add resist 18 str, 30% fr/w, and fhr, but waterwalks are a good pick for trappers. If you want more mana slikweaves are nice, also marrowwalks are good, because, they add alot to stats.

For your sockets, I would use an Um rune in the shako for resist, or a shael for Fhr. If you cant find anything that you really need just put in a Jah or a perfect ruby for more life since that never hurts. Prehaps a poison facet for your bow? I do not recomend using Light facets as they really aren't worth it, and you have enough damage don't you think? I also wouldn't use a shael if you can get a ed/ias jewel or something.

Ok well I hope I have helped you in someway. Have fun, and good luck with your assassin.

5. C_Narcissus

Thanks guys! I was unsure about the light facets but forgot to ask about it, so thank you for the heads up on that - really makes it not worth it since 5/5 lights are expensive on USEast Ladder... I think Um or PRuby sounds good for the shako, and I'll probably shael the widowmaker to deal with teleporters - there'll be more arrows waiting for them when they stop. Any other suggestions still welcome, though, thanks!

6. Shadow752

I suggest that you kill an amazon badly with your bow and show her that the assassin is the queen of the bow :p

7. C_Narcissus

Done it several times. :) In fact, I've found that if they can't teleport and decide to throw on lots of Lightning Resist and Absorb, that it's easier to kill WITHOUT traps! I just tele and shoot away with the envenomed guided arrow. One druid was amazed, he said something along the lines of "I knew 1.10 changed things, but I never thought I'd get beat by a teleporting bowasn..." Classic!

Hey, I know the light facets don't work for enemy lightning resistance with traps, but how does Griffons do in that department?

8. Shadow752

It works the same way as the facets do. I guess everyone always refers to facets in an example because, they are probably what everyone thinks first when it comes to -resist.

9. SureWin4

SureWin4 IncGamers Member

if you need extra damage i think you should ditch the hota and SS and get a +3 traps/ +3 lighting sentry claw (always good to dream ^^) and socket them hopefully to get 2 and put some resis jewels in it... would give u extra +3 skills

10. Apologetix

Apologetix IncGamers Member

hey narc.. this is a very good idea for a build.. i mean the trapper part is pretty obvious but the envenomed guided arrow.. pure genius..

i just have a few questions for you...

if you could have done it differently would you have maxed venom before the last light sentry synergy? (ie max light sentry, 3 synergies, then venom and save the last ls synergy for last)

would you recomend poison facet for more dmg or shael? (in the widowmaker)

what lvl will you be done maxing all skills?

how much psn dmg do you do with your current lvl venom? and where will it be when you max it?

is this build effective against all classes?

if you answer all these questions thanks a lot... but im VERY interested in making this build (already bought most of the gear).. and as soon as i get all my trap gc's and an enigma ill start her.
    thanks again... and good idea.

11. C_Narcissus

Apologetix - no prob, I'll answer questions, should I make a guide for this??

Yes - I would probably max venom first next time because its amazing how often I use it, and how well it works. I'm kinda split on the pure answer to this question though because I really value my trap damage.

In the widowmaker I'm definitely going with shael. With 1 point into BoS (it turns into level...14ish with all +skills) I get a great speed on the widowmaker, but it gets better with shael. More important to note - 1 point into Fade makes it INCREDIBLE (at 14ish with +skills) to use in duels against sorcs if you lack the resist charms. With fade on, your attack speed drops dramatically thus shael helps a ton there too when you switch. Poison facet in this case...doesn't add enough venom damage, and you can't absorb poison anyway so -% enemy res isn't too helpful unless we're dueling someone with 95/ -75% duration.

I'll be done maxing all the skills I want at level... ::sigh:: 96. My sorc is about 93 1/2 so that means venom will stop around level 30ish, never actually getting to max it.

Current level venom does approx. 700 damage, when its done I hope to get over a grand. Doesn't sound like much but keep in mind that although it doesn't stack - it's all done in .4 seconds...plenty of time between your guided arrow (you should be trapping at the same time in most cases).

Yes this build is highly effective against ALL classes, given the fact that you own an enigma. I'm currently working on organizing my extra gear from mules and I'm going to transfer a few belts and rings to help increase my absorb capabilities to deal with sorcs and fellow trappers. (Guardian Angel if I don't need to tele, Snowclash, Thundergods, Wisp Projector, Ravenfrost, Dwarf Star - these items should cut it depending on the situation, and it doesn't require me to give up too much in skills if you do it one ring + belt at a time.)

Hope this helps!

P.S. - dual trap claws I can't use - I can't stand them because my mind blast and teleport lost that 40% FCR from HOTO, plus the 40% res all from HOTO, plus my STORM!! AHHH!! Weapon block is nice, but come on folks...stormshield?

12. Apologetix

thanks for answering the questions.. you shuold definitely write a guide.. the only drawback is that people will catch on to how much potnetial this damn build has and use it a lot becoming another cookie cutter assy build.. which will in turn allow people to effectively somehow come up with a counter-build making it possible for this build to not be as fun/effective...

final verdict: write a guide, pm it to me only :thumbsup:

13. royalsego

royalsego IncGamers Member

how do you have 1600 life? can you give me pointers? i got a trap assn, only about 1k life...

what are your base stats?

14. Apologetix

one more question..

max block or no?

15. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

Yea but the thing is most good dmg assassins use the trap claws, with them i do around 10k dmg. I have 8 GC's and Anni as well similar setup but i use wiz and storm for mb and switch for trap setting. I dont even use CTA i have it in my Stash.

Cast Rate is important but der is other alternatives to get it

16. C_Narcissus

My vitality is around 300, and I use a lot of close-to-perfect vita charms for my life. With CTA I actually have close to 2600 life.

My block % is about 63 or 64, but its not too crucial because at this point I'm dumping 5 points into dexterity at each level-up just to keep up with the level-up penalty to blocking! Waste! I don't get hit enough to put points into dex here anyway.

LordDrift - because people are usually running from this build, I decided to go with the Hoto and Storm. As I lay the traps with this setup, I can get a right-click-lock on the guy, switch the right click from traps to teleport, then switch it to mind blast, so I end up trapping him, jumping on top of him, then blasting him. If I were to do that with trap claws and forget to switch back, I'd get caught with my pants down. And I got an ugly butt.

17. Perfect_11.

Perfect_11. IncGamers Member

Wow i met another person who uses Widow+poison (not being sarcastic i seen only one other person do it besides me). I used to do it on my old barb (Botd cb + ss then widow on switch with lotsa 100 pdscs ^^) but after makin my chaos ww asn, i needed a way to catch trappers and defeat hammerdins and to also finish of pesky pepople who run away after they have 1 life left (venom+70% open wounds =P). Anyway, hes right venom+widow works so much wonders i cant belive that every asn DOESNT have this on switch. Most people forget about poison resist and then they complain when they get hit by 100 psn with -100 resist in hell and then they lose all of their life about 20 seconds later, but now we cna make them lose all of their life in .4 seconds and we can kill them before the complain ^^. but, i do find that mana is a problem with my guided arrow (ur trapper so u prolly got better mana gear than my Chaos asn), also , i donno bout everyone else but nats+chaos is workin fine for me... most ppl suggest fury+chaos+other stuff, but with an um'd nats claw, i'm doing fine. Plus its a lot cheaper than all that godly stuff, although i would own more with the godly crap, but thats what my orb sorc is for ^^

18. Mr.Grimmy

Mr.Grimmy IncGamers Member

I am also using venom + widowmaker. Started using a couple months back. It is definitely a very effictive build. I converted my kicker over to the widowmaker to help deal with barbs paladins druids and enigma users. Has helped a lot. Unfortunately as you mentioned more and more people are using this build. The first few times I dueled with it people were amazed. Now I had someone actually say "not another @$!$#$ bow sin" :( To bad I thought the build was pretty original. Another good thing is open wounds equip+widow maker :) very very evil

19. C_Narcissus

Hehe, sorry, but I just wrote a small guide dealing with the venom trapper. I actually never thought of it until after I made my trapper - so I never tried it on my WW kicker but I think that'd be a lot more fun. Those types are much more aggressive and thus you can run people down and maul them faster, whereas most of the time I lay waiting for people to come to me or I draw them in with the widowmaker. Anyway, BowAsns unite!

20. Fritos-crunch

Fritos-crunch Banned

i kinda got a question for c_narcissus.. with that 1600 life you max out block or not? or all in vit.. just wondering thx