Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Geek Levels just peaked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by {KOW}Spazed, Oct 30, 2006.

1. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

God, you're such a geek.

3. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

I guess that's not good news for me, since I saw this several months ago.

That being said, there's still an inherent problem with it. It's intuitive for him - someone used to the computer industry. It'd be intuitive for me, as well, as I've spent a great deal of time on a computer, and doing 3D modelling through software applications. However, for a new user, it's not necessarily all that intuitive. I'd want to introduce several computer-illiterate people to this software and see how well they adapt to it before I announce it to be intuitive. Some parts of it would confuse me, like attempting to work with the 3D portion of it - I know in 3DS Max, I hold down alt and the mouse button, and it moves the perspective. There's no finger equivalent to that. And I'd miss my home-row buttons on my keyboard, I rely on that little bump on the F and J keys to show me that my hands are in the right place. With that screen, I wouldn't have that.

... Plus, I hate fingerprint smudges.

4. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Hey without Geeks you wouldn't have a computer and where would you be then? You'd be missing out on all that pr0n and of course there would be no OTF.

*goes off to read Bort's email*

5. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I'd say your timeline for this is a bit unrealistic, but it's very cool and I'm sure it'll find it's way into common use within... 20 years? :smiley: (very high end guess, of course)

Not sure I'd need a 30 inch one though (at least for a laptop...) though at the size of my laptop, my hands might be getting in the way too much...

And in the interface shown in that vid, It looks uncomfortable... it's the keyboard and screen in one spot, so either you're looking down a lot or your hands are high up (obviously it'd end up being the best compromise of the two).

A separate touch screen that shows whats on the screen (i.e. a laptop with two identical screens, except you manipulate the bottom one with your fingers) would work better for double checking where your fingers are. It'd be interesting to see how well I'd be able to manipulate the system without looking at it (as we already do with the mouse and keyboard[most of us] )

6. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

That's pretty cool. I want one.

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

So you want a big Nintendo DS?

I think it needs some work still, but manipulating things with our hands is way more intuitive than with a mouse which is trying to mimic a hand in 2d space.

Remember minority report, this is basically their system. You could go to the next page in a website by dragging a finger across the bottom(pages in a book) or run your finger around the troops you want in StarCraft.

I wouldn't give it to computer illiterates, they are mostly technophobes and wouldn't want to use it. Give it to some kids and see what happens.

8. rare

rare IncGamers Member

"Intuitive"?

for the guy thats been researching it for who knows how long. Of course, thats true of any invention..

I saw something like that at a mall, it had little kids playing on the mat, moving objects, dodging them, lighting them, turning them off, and there was like 8 kids at once, so thats 16 legs. So it isnt really new to me; 16 kids' legs > 3 or 4 of his fingers.

I thought by now we'd be doing something with 3d (with space), instead of a 2d plane trying to simulate a 3d environment. It is very restricting.

What about when he says theres no interface yet when hes showing off the earth thing he actually has to touch buttons at the top of the touchscreen, and even messes up. Doesn't that count as an interface? The only thing that didn't have an interface was where he was drawing random things, which made it kind of restricting because he coudlnt change the thickness of the lines he made, the color of the lines, the inside of it, the shading, or get a chance to possibly make a 3d shape..

But oh well, you can't have everything.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html
    3d from 2d

Plus he could pan and tilt, ever use Google SketchUp? Controls like that would work nicely here. The thickness of the lines could be defined by pressure, just as Photoshop uses a WACOM or Centiq. All the programs he showed you had to be specially made for the presentation, of course it wasn't all laid out perfect.

You aren't thinking for this invention, you are thinking of existing products and trying to smash this into it. This would require a paradigm shift in programs.

The kids running on a big open area is different, the resolution is less, and not as pressure sensitive.

10. rare

rare IncGamers Member

For the 3d thing, I mean interacting with a 3d space, not just a 2d surface. Woudlnt it be even more intuitive. Move your arm around wildly and youll make a weird knot; move your finger tip steadily and youll make one single straight line with no depth.

Everything else about being able to pan and tilt wouldnt really matter if we were on a 3d space area; it would be common sense to anyone that you would be able to pan and tilt something (or the point of view) if you were in space.

The kids running were just more fun than this really nervous asian guy tripping over his words as huge nerds laughed at I dont know what.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I presume this is for CAD purposes and things like that. Obviously the mouse/keyboard combination is the ultimate controller setup for games.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

13. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

from what i see it's far more intuitive than what you're doing. you hold down a button and move the mouse. how is that intuitive at all to a person who's never used a computer before? from what you're saying it's only confusing to you because you've already learned a set of commands for some program.

from what i've seen his design is far more intuitive than any kb/mouse input. finding an "natural" difference between moving an object and rotating it in 3D is something people will have to find, but i'm sure the learning curve will be far better.