Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My frenzy barb

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by bres, Mar 1, 2004.

1. bres

bres IncGamers Member

My frenzy barb

Well this had already discussed more then once but I realy do need some good advices how to improve my barb since I realy love him and he still can't make it in hell alone :(
    lvl 83 at the moment

so here is the stats and items:
    ( all stats is without equip )
    170 str
    100 dex
    230 vita
    10 energy

equip:
    heaven's light ( 3 to all , 2 sock filled with 2 shaels )
    schafaers
    arreat's 6ll ( free socket )
    leviathan 15dr , 42 str ( free socket ) , 1569 def
    bloodfist
    upgraded gore rider 198def
    highlord's wrath
    rare ring - 6ll , 20 str , 25 light res + minor mods
    raven ( 15 dex )
    verdungo 14dr , 36 vita

and the stats with equip is ( and charms ):
    252 str
    135 dex
    266 vita
    14 energy

48 Crushing blow
    46 deadly strike
    10 open wounds

after shout I have :
    3350 life
    12500 def
    6000 ar ( but no mastery picked yet )

skills:
    max frenzy
    max BO
    max shout
    some spare skills in the synergies for frenzy
    and not yet picked a mastery I have about 3 skills saved

now I need some advices , tips how to improve it
    I know I should get
    better raven
    better verdungo
    better gloves with some ias , ll , cr and res

Now my questions are:
    - let's say I go mace mastery what will be the best weapons ? ( let's not say those lovely runewords that pop in to our heads right when this question is asked )
    - what should I put in the free socket ( armor and helm ) ?
    - should I pick a different armor ?
    - vita all the way from now ?
    - could someone state the IAS and WIAS tables and give me some tips if I need to pass another breakpoint ?

note: I have a 199ed GF if someone think I can do a better use with that weapon , also have a cresent moon phase blade rune word.

I hope you can make my barb better ! :uhhuh:

thanks in advance bres. :)

2. bres

bres IncGamers Member

come on 25 views and not even one tip :(
    where all the pro's gone ? :yawn:

3. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

I'm not sure but I've made a lvl 99 Frenzy SP barb with a character editor *cough* but mine has 20 berserk, 20 frenzy, 20 axe mastery, 10 dbl swing, 10 taunt, 10 BO and I think 10 shout, and everything else has 1 point. But if you take advantage of all 3 synergies then your frenzy barb should be doing a lot more damage I think.

4. podi

podi IncGamers Member

shafers is allways a nice wep due to the "chanse to cast static" .. but its slow (even whit frenzy) but axes are good for the speed. beast is a nice runeword ( even if you didnt want them) :p and allso Crescen moon for static :)

5. puckalicious

puckalicious IncGamers Member

A frenzy barb really requires careful planning around your "end game" weapons. The build works alot better if you use the same weapon types and max that mastery or put around 10 points in it and use the extra points in synergies for better damage. If you have a schaefer's already, use another mace as your quick weapon. A good option is a shaeled nord's. I have found that with Frenzy maxed, you need at least a -40 speed (base and IAS) weapon to get a fast enough swing. I use a eth zodded bstar as primary and eth zodded nords in the other hand. I reach the max swing rate after a few swings and do really nice damage but I miss the static field from schaefer's. I think if I replace the bstar with a stormlash (same speed) I would rock bigtime. Now I just have to find an eth stormlash yeah right.

6. bres

bres IncGamers Member

heaven's light double shaeled have 60 ias overoll which make it to pass the -40 speed and it also have nice dmg and 33 CB , so why isn't that not better then Bstar or nords ? ( btw it's mace also )

7. DhR_PvP

DhR_PvP IncGamers Member

Schaffers is the best non rune frenzy wepon by far. Get another put points into the mast. Shael both of them. Armor and helm sockets go with ed/ias or ed/max depending on ur desired fpa. Use a shaft or etheral valor for armor. Get resist charms. You do all this and you will have no probablem anywhere.

Here is a wepon speed calc http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

8. bres

bres IncGamers Member

sounds to good to be truth :uhhuh:
    now all I need is 7 ed/ias jewels :(
    I'm not that reach I might get another schafaers but as some people said it's not realy a fast weapon.
    thanks for your respond and the calc :)

I calculated that with 60ias on the mighty scepter and 40 ias on schafaers and 40 ias from equip I reach 5.5 fps is this good enough ?

can anyone answer me what to socket in my correct gear plz ?

9. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

The most sickest weapon you can use on Frenzy Axe barbs is Beast+Famine or Dual BOTD (Really sick). I prefer Beast+Famine because of the insane speed, and really good dmg!

10. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Actually I would think that stormlash would be better it has static and crushing blow for those pesky lightning immunes and it's fast too.

What merc are you using? And why bloodfist? You can craft a better blood glove at your level. I'd put one in the mastery and put the rest into the synergy. Each additional point in the synergy will give your +8% damage while the mastery will give you +5% damage.... so... unless you're missing a lot then you want to go with the synergy for more damage. I'd prefer Taunt over Double Swing since taunt will stick on a monster while you're bashing it's head in while with double swing you can't use it while you're using frenzy. Lastly... Are you using Taunt and Battlecry vs ranged and groups?

Play wise... a lot of zerkers like to howl a group and taunt 1 or 2 back so that they can kill them and not get swamped. That might be a good option for you.

11. wisedoor

wisedoor IncGamers Member

Nords and Shaeffers is a nice combo. But you are wrong about 1 thing
    Weapons SHOULD NOT be the same speed. Attack speed, IAS and WIAS is based solely on the primary weapon (that should be equiped first and in the LEFT weapon slot) and speed of secondary weapon is completely IGNORED by the game. So i´d go Shael Nords and Ohm/Lo/Ber Shaeffers. I am 100% sure of this info.

Note
    Some PPL claimed that this is not true... but they just got fooled by the weapon equip bug. Yes, there are 2 bugs with Frenzy/DS/DT, the weapon equip bug and ignoring speed of secondary weapon. More info on the WEQ bug can be found in the new assa faq and in the old barb faq.

12. kle02

kle02 IncGamers Member

Remember to always put the fastest weapon in your Barb's Right hand, because it will affect the speed of frenzy :thumbsup:

13. ploof

ploof IncGamers Member

the barbs right hand being the left weapon slot in the inventory screen...

just incase that's confusing......

14. bres

bres IncGamers Member

thanks for the replies guys

I have now crafted gloves with 20ias , 4ll , 11 str , 17 life and 6 CB :>
    as for the mastery I took the mace way since I can see I'm going to use schafaers and stormlash / heaven's light

I use battle cry and might use taunt aswell
    and my merc is a barbarian , I don't know I just like him very hard to kill him although many will say a merc from act 2 with dmg aura is the best.

If i'll want to make a runeword what mace is the best option for me ?

15. puckalicious

Nowhere in my post did I say both weapons should be the same speed. Read it again.
    The only statement with the phrase "same speed" was when I said I wanted to replace my bstar with a stormlash for my fast weapon.

Dhr-pvp, using a shaeled shaefer's as your primary frenzy weapon would be only -20, WAY too slow for frenzy. Shaefer's should only be used as your secondary, slow, big damage weapon with ED jewel.

bres, I think you will like stormlash much more than heaven's light because of the static. Although if you had a schaefers I would stick with the heavens light.

16. bres

bres IncGamers Member

But I do have schafaers so schafaers with stormlash isn't a good combination ?

17. puckalicious

What I meant was with the schaefers you already have the chance to cast static, so using stormlash would be redundant and I think heavens light gives more damage while being faster than stormlash because of getting 2 sockets. You will have to be the judge of this. Use both and let us know what seems better! I play NL so I can't use heavens light anyway but it would interesting to see.

18. bres

bres IncGamers Member

I can say I'm doing pretty good now , I can solo in hell but my only problem are those bast*rds lightning ghosts ( forgot their names ) at the way to baal

and I have another question with what skillers should I go ? at the moment I have 4 combat skillers and one warcry should I go only warcry ? mixed ?

and another thing since you play on NL I can tell you that I hit well damn fast
    with 2 shael sticked in the heaven's after all it's 60ias in a 0 base speed weapon. :flip:

19. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

I'm slightly confused -- other than the crafted gloves, what did you change? Was it putting heaven's in the right (or left as you look at it) hand?

Oh, and btw, that german calc is misleading according to your 100% accurate information. It calculates the speed of both weapons when you use it, not just the right-handed one. Curious if anyone noticed that as with one hand the calc was given and with the other hand contradictory information was also given...

And PLEASE tell me how that's working as i'm oh so tempted to make one (just got schaefers :flip: )

edit - i didn't intend to come off as haughty with that second paragraph. i respect the wisdom of the residing barbs in the forum, just a little confused with the contradiction. thx for any help you can give in clearing up the technicalities for me!

20. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

And out of curiosity, what's the dmg ur barb is touting with that set-up? I'm dying to know ;)