Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Frenzy Barb Needs some help. . .

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hythopian Shade, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Hythopian Shade

Hythopian Shade IncGamers Member

My Frenzy Barb Needs some help. . .

Well, the title says it all. I'm not too impressed with his overall performance in hell (still in act 1 btw), so I'm looking for suggestions. Basically, I think he sucks, and needs an overhaul.

Equipment:

Crescent Moon Balrog Blade
    another Crescent Moon Balrog Blade
    Arreats (6 LL)
    Leviathan (+42 Strength, DR 20%)
    IK Gloves
    IK Belt
    Goblin Toe

Rare Amulet: +15 to Strength
    +16 to Dexterity
    +82 to Mana
    All Resistances +8
    +1 to Barbarian Skill Levels

Rare Ring: +5 to Strength
    Fire Resist +35%
    Lightning Resist +7%
    Cold Resist +7%
    Poison Resist +7%
    5% Life stolen per hit

Raven Frost

On weapon switch: dual +3 war cry spears

Plus 2 Mastery charms, a 14% lightning resist large charm, and some elemental damage charms. I don't have many good charms in 1.10. All my best are in 1.09.

Skills
    20 BO, 20 Frenzy, 20 Sword mastery (I thought AR would be a problem)
    Unspent skills: 4
    I also have 1 point in berzerk, stamina and faster run/ walk, iron skin, and 2 in natural resist in masteries, plus 1 point in find item, and 1 point in Battle Cry.

I have a might merc with an ethereal Hone Sundan, Shaftstop, and Tals Mask.

He does about 2.3k frenzy damage, has about 2.3k life after BO, and 9k defense after shout.

What I find is that he takes too much damage, enough with max DR, doesn't kill fast enough and generally has very poor leech even when I try and max out his LL. If I try and balance something out, he loses out too much in another area. I thought the way I had him right now would be a good balance between DR, resists, LL, and damage, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any suggestions? The crescent moon swords are basically the best I have in 1.10, but I do have access to just about every other unique sword (as well as armor, rings, amulets, ect) in the game, just not so many of the new things. And no suggestions for BotD weapons please :)

2. monolith

monolith IncGamers Member

I'm doing a similar build, but with axes instead of swords. At the moment, I'm in act 5 NM and am level 64 (Hell starts at 67 I think) with shaftstop, and string, I can wade into mobs, even though the damage on my ghetto technology nagas is woeful. (60% on one, 64% on the other) I've differed slightly from your build in that I've got 5 points in natural resistance. (I have very few skills items) Your gear is utterly insane compared to mine, so I'm unsure what to tell you. I'd probably look at pumping taunt, since it's a synergy skill for frenzy, and makes monsters damage you less and hit less often. at Slvl 20 taunt will cut a monster's attack rating and damage by 43%, while boosting your damage, (and consequently your life leech) by 160%.

Just a side note, when you do your warcries, I assume you go command, command, orders, shout? the second command resets the duration to the higher level, and can make a big difference.

3. Baedric

Baedric IncGamers Member

I might suggest a faster weapon, unfortunately, you have already sock'd dual Crescent Moon's into Balrog Blades. Crescent Moon is a very good runeword for a Frenzier, but I would have found some faster weapons to use it in. My v110 Frenzier uses a Shaeled Doombringer (right hand) and a Flamebellows BB. IIRC the Doomy is quite a bit faster than a BB and requires much less IAS gear to hit an acceptable weapon speed breakpoint. I also opted for Double swing (synergy) and maxing Shout and using a Defiance Merc. I did not max Frenzy, I left it at around 15 with plus skills.
    He will never kill as quickly as one of the ultimate v110 Casters, but his ability to tank, and kill is what makes him special.
    Melee char's in v110 do take mucho damage so you either have to kill very quickly or raise your defense high enough that you can tank while you are killing.
    It seems to be a simple fact.
    IMO a Frenzy Barb in v110 is ideally suited for Hell Meph runs and little more, unless you have uber gear, including Enigma armor. I Pat'd mine using Courpsemourn armor.
    They are very fun to play though!
    BTW what clvl is your char? I would guess somewhere around 70 ish. You may still be able to salvage him if he is in the low 70's with quest reward skill points left.
    BTW I would have loved having Leviathan armor for my Frenzier. jealous

4. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

When I played frenzybarb I had 20 skillpoints in War cry to stun the enemies. It makes things alot more easy to handle when you dealing with large mobs.
    I think the stun lenght was 6 seconds and that was almost always eough to kill the enemies.
    Good luck

DX

5. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

My practical advice would be to change gear to up life, DR (max DR
    is 50% in 1.10), DS and leech ASAP. Change gloves for a good pair
    of 6 ll blood gloves, belt for a String, boots for Gore Rider, and ammy
    for a Highlord's Wrath. Try to use charms to make up for deficiencies in
    Life and Resistances as possible.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus IncGamers Site Pal

I haven't built a Frenzier in 1.10 yet, but built a number of them in 1.09. Your guy looks like he ought to be doing OK. I found two strategies helped minimize damage to them:

1) Use War Cry/Battle Cry pretty consistently (War Cry on random monsters, Batle Cry on bosses/uniques). The idea is, run up to a group, cast WarCry, pound them senseless while they're stunned, rinse and repeat until the group is dead. A few points in WarCry with your + skills will give you an acceptable stun length and keep your guy from getting hammered himself.

2) The second strategy seems antithetical to Frenziers, but actually works OK: WALK everyplace. No running. Running reduces defense to zero, and, since you have no shield, means basically everything in the game is pretty much guaranteed to hit you. By forcing your barb to walk, you retain your defense and get hit much, much less. Get some FRW boots, put some points into Increased Speed, and when your guy is Frenzying, he will be walking faster than any other character can run. (I only did this in high threat locales, like Chaos Sanctuary, but I guess you could do it most/all of the time).

Good luck with him. Frenziers are my favorite character in the game, they are so darn fun to play!

Phaedrus

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

hey, think youve got it tough? try frenzying with wirts legs through the whole game!