Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first worthwhile PK story

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Silkweed, Mar 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

My first worthwhile PK story

As promised, here's my first good PK story in following up with my "My first PK" thread, which was very helpful in the making of my characters. Now, as most people will recall, my first PK character was a charge paladin named StAnselm. He's still alive and well and has a couple of ears in his stash, but after doing some more studying of builds, I decided that I would in fact try out Sip's DTalon build because I am infinitely more familiar with assassin than I am with pallys (Anselm was my first, and possibly last paladin).

As always with me, the name proved to be the hardest thing to decide upon, and at first I thought it'd be cool to make a sin named "Tai-Chi," since I happen to do Tai Chi and love it. But it looked cheesy in font, so I renamed her "WhiteCrane," after my favourite Tai Chi move.

Well, now for the story. I was checking some games and I discovered a level 30 something necro and a level 27 paladin in a game with no clue as to where they'd be playing. Can't even remember the game's name, it might have been giberish. So I enter the game and right away the necromancer parties. I accept and check my party screen to see where they are and which act I should be in. Oddly enough, the necro was in the Ancients' Way, while the paladin for some reason was in Tal's Tomb. I decided that the necromancer would be easier to kill, so I go to act 5 and announce "Wild Crane Spreads Its Wings," and then I hostile.

They don't leave the game.

I wait the 10 seconds on the waypoint and then jump to the Ancients' Way. The first thing I noticed which seemed amiss was that there were a lot more monsters than I expected. I plow through them, trying not to attack any of them (I don't want to hit 26), in hopes of finding the necromancer, but there are monsters everywhere. And then it hits me - I remembered seeing a portal from the Throne! The necro must have been working his way backwards. So I warp back to town and sure enough he's sitting there with his minions patiently waiting for me to leave. The most he did was tell the paladin "You might want to TP, there's someone hostile in the game."

So that left the paladin. I hit Lut Golein but he's not there, I guess he figured I wouldn't find him in the right Tal's Tomb. Well, I warped over to the canyon and ran down to the last tomb, popped in, saw monsters, ran to the next one. It was eerily quiet, so I checked it out a bit further and discovered some corpses. This was the right tomb.

I followed the trail and discovered my target, a little red X. He was standing still in a room, like he was waiting for me. It had crossed my mind that he might be a charge pally PKK, but I decided I'd go for it anyway. I entered the archway to his room and DF'd into him, taking his life down by a third of a notch, and then kicked for all I was worth. He never knew what hit him.

But here's the kicker (pardon the pun), seconds after the message "Paladin was slain by WhiteCrane" displayed on the screen, the message "I think he's headed your way" appeared from the necromancer.

:lol:

I collected my new ear, TP'd to stash it and then typed in "Wild Horse Divides The Mane," another favourite move that just sounds so scary in light of what had just happened. Now at this point, the pally was laughing about having died and the necromancer was pretty much like "Oh. Damn." But I decided that rather than be spiteful about it, I'd be a good sport, and so I asked if they'd had loot on since if they did, I'd leave and he could get his stuff back. This wasn't the case, so I asked him what he'd lost thinking I could spare some low level items just to get him back on his feet, but despairingly, he merely replied "Everything," and then went on a pity rant about how he was new to hardcore and didn't have anything. I felt bad, so I asked him he'd lost anything specific that I could replace. I guess he thought I was making fun of him, because he became pretty sour and started slinging the usual insults. The funniest one was "You're not even hardcore." I told him nevermind then, and soon after he left. The necro followed shortly.

I ran back to my stash and smiled at my new level 27 paladin ear.

2. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Nice story!
    Trying to be polite and generous to those you hunt is good :)

/Magnus

3. Kalki

Kalki IncGamers Member

This is the first PK story I've read and will be the last. This will also be my last post on the matter, since this kind of nonsense isn't deserving of my time. It takes me several hours to get my character to a level that high, and the idea that someone would have fun ruining my fun is quite sickening. Why not just go play soccer and break someone's knee's or go play hockey and break their neck? Pker's are no different and they're no better. Like many other good players I play in private games 99.9% of the time, and if that's the kind of game community you want then keep PKing. Let's face it. "Hostiling" and "PKing" in HC is a poor implementation, and should be modified to be only mutual or completely removed. Anyway I didn't really enjoy the story much. If someone wants to write a story about putting a real life bullet in a Pker's head I would highly enjoy it.

4. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Well, that story would still be about a pk then (technically a pkk but still a pk).
    You shouldn't get so worked up over a game.
    Pixels on a screen = if they make you mad, don't play hc.

PK vs non-pk thread, gogogogoogogoggogogoogogogogo!!!

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hahahaha..... I'm not so keen on participating in those myself, but I very much enjoy reading them :lol:

/Magnus

6. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

I think I've had enough with your 9 posts already, plz go away...

/Magnus

7. Kalki

Kalki IncGamers Member

Quality not quantity... Anyway since I'm not allowed to express myself about something without being insulted let the childish flame-war begin. Funny how I get bashed and the Pker gets defended. You think this makes you hardcore? Does it make you are "hardcore" hockey fan for defending Bertuzzi for breaking another hockey player's neck? No it makes you a moron. Running around being a bully isn't cool no matter what the setting is, especially when you aren't man enough to fight under mutual terms or face to face. I guess those are just "old world" values though. I can't wait to hear what kind of insults I get for having values. I've taken **** before for being a good person, and I'll take **** for it again, but I'll never break. If you get delight in being a bully, than... it doesn't need to be said. You know what you are.

8. Silkweed

I have a sinking feeling that I've encountered Kalki in a few games and hit the buzzer on him. Somehow the name seems familiar. Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Anyway, PKing is meant to be part of the game. In Syrian's Protest to Blizzard, he received an email from G. Frazier stating that it was Blizzard's intention to include PKing in the game. There was a sticky for the longest time under the heading "The last word on PKing."

9. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Hehe, I guess I'm into this anyway :lol:
    What do you call your first post if not flaming and bullying?

Can't an honest PK'er write about his adventures without being flamed by some bully anti-pk'er?

Looks like someone have double standards here ;)

/Magnus

10. xxsteelxx

xxsteelxx IncGamers Member

I could see how u might be upset with someone useing a trigger to kill u but seriosly....how many experienced d2 players get pked? I mean come on dude its not really that hard to keep ur ear. I cant even remember the last time i was pked...years at least. Even the whole necro trigger thing is kinda lame...If ur like most people and know it exsists there should be no way u would ever die from it. When im in a game and see spirits comming i run....they dont really move that fast lol

11. RottweilExpress

RottweilExpress IncGamers Member

*sigh* We wish.

12. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Ok, first off, yes Bertuzzi's sucker punch was kind of on the bad side of things. I won't defend the act, I will defend the breaking of Moore's neck. There is no way that Bertuzzi set out to injur Moore like that, if he did he would have used his stick to try and take the guy's head off. From the replays it looked almost like Bertuzzi was out to pick a fight with Moore. Then he went down on top of him and everyone piled on, who knows when the neck ended up actually broken.

I was going to ignore you as just flame baiting but then you had to go and pull hockey into it...

So from there you say "Anyway since I'm not allowed to express myself about something without being insulted let the childish flame-war begin." Go figure, when you say you want a story about someone getting shot in the head for PKing legitimately within the bounds of the game, you will get flamed. Guess what, read enough news from Korea and you will get stories like that from time to time. Do you think some 15 yearold kid in a cybercafe needs to get beaten to death in an alley over a PKing incident in Lineage? If that's your opinion, how can you go and call yourself a good person? As for these so called "values" of yours, apparently they consist of valuing a few hours of time much more than the life of a person who has a little bit of arguably sadistic fun from time to time. Then you talk about fighting on even terms, and about fair and mutual fights, except where it applies to people who you don't like. For the people you don't like, just go shoot them in the face while they sit facing their computer.

Then you mention quality over quantity, well here's a newsflash Mn_Swe2 has made posts that are actually useful to the general HC community. You on the other hand whine about the way the game you choose to play works. As mentioned, PKing is in the game, live with it. Silk didn't use a WP exploit or duped gear or a maphack to hunt his victim, he played the game in a way that it is partially intended to be played.

I know he's just flamebaiting, and I may fit into the category of YHBT YHL HAND, but he had to draw hockey into it.

Oh, and good story silk, chase the softies back to where they came from, those determined to play HC will come back (perhaps a few times) and be better players for it ^^

13. Silkweed

Thanks for the support guys. With any luck I will have better stories to share soon.

I think it's funny that just about everyone considers PKers to be mean people. I'm actually a very nice guy, as anyone who has met me online can attest to. PKing is an aspect of the game that I hadn't yet explored and decided I wanted to try. At first it was very hard and I didn't enjoy it very much (I think that also had to do with playing a class I was completely unfamiliar with), but I can say now that the rush of hunting live people is exhilerating. In fact I think it's going to become my new favourite thing for a while.

True, they do not directly consent to fight me, but by staying in the game and choosing to fight me, they are indirectly consenting to fight me. Unfair that my tweaked out assassin killed your same level character? Guess you should have left the game then, or been more careful, or smarter.

As has already been mentioned before, those who do not wish to be PK'd will avoid it easily. There's the hostile warning, the 10 second timer on WP's (I may or may not use the exploit in the future, haven't decided yet), and failing all that, there's always save & exit (or alt-F4).

The only people who are ever killed are killed for one of three reasons (someone already posted this somewhere, I'm just regurgitating it):

1. They're new to the game, and therefore will gain a valuable lesson from a PK, or will go back to the SC environment where they belong.
    2. They are unfamiliar with just how much damage a low level PK build can do and think they can beat you with their PvM character build.
    3. They are familiar with all aspects of the game and choose to fight you anyway, effectively, this is a duel.

14. Kalki

Kalki IncGamers Member

Kind of?! I'm apparently dealing with lesser humans. Seriously, this isn't meant to flame or instigate, but this offends me at every level of my being. Maybe I'm trying to awaken some gamers to true sportsmanship, or talk to those who are already awake and tell them they're not alone or crazy. I can respect a good duel, but joining a game without "duel" in the title with the purpose of PKing is supposed to be OK? Sadism against a fellow man is supposed to be tolerable?! That's psychotic. The whole tone of this story, and the reaction of you PKers... I'm speechless.

I understand that PKers will exist in Diablo 2, and I'm not on a campaign to to try and stop them, but if they're going to write "Charles-Manson-style-autobiographies" about their "adventures" than they better expect to get a little beating from the 90% of Diablo gamers who hate them to the core.

15. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

With a longer stay at this forum you will notice that those 90% are not very frequent at this forum :howdy:

I do respect your right to an opinion, but please leave broken knees, necks and real life bullets out of the discussion ;)

/Magnus

16. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

When I say kind of, I mean it in the sense that it's not nearly as bad as some people blow it up to. Those sorts of hits happen rather frequently, this one ended up in a broken neck. If Bertuzzi had been serious about injuring Moore he would have used his stick in the same way certain players do. He wouldn't have punched him in the face on open ice. Again, I'm not trying to defend the cheap shot, but it's not as "HE SHOULD BE THROWN OUT OF THE LEAGUE" as some people try to make it seem.

Then, as to sportsmanship in gaming...hey, here's a tip, IT'S A GAME. People play it for fun. Part of this particular game involves the completely intended design of allowing the killing of another character, whether or not that character especially intends to be made dead. I can understand you not being a fan of it, but you are going to have to accept it. No one gets hit by legit PKs anyways, and few get hit by the ones that exploit bugs and use dupes. If you are in the game after the hostile sound, then you'd better be paying close attention to the map for the little red X. When people do die (as has been stated many the time already) they get to learn a lesson. If they die a second time, well maybe they should reconsider hardcore because they don't belong.

As for "reaction of you PKers," the only ears I've ever gathered have been in duels. I've been PKed once or twice, but never taken part in it myself. Yet still I defend the PK in this event, as quite simply, I accept the way the game works and I play accordingly.

17. Sip

Sip Banned

I see you're enjoying my kicksin build.

My kicksin will be comming soon. I've collected all the gear including artisans armor of the col and biggins bonnet with 20%ed jewel in it.

18. det

det IncGamers Member

Hm..I have been "against" PK for a long time, but I have come to see them as part of the game. Trigger hacks, exploiting bugs etc..is a different matter but I salute every legit PKer who can kill me. Thing is they won't be able to, because I won't stay in game :lol:

Assign "leave application" on your thumb button and leave when you get hostiled. Don't stay in games etc etc etc..

Kalki, mixing up "bullet in the head" things with PKing in a game is spiteful, childish and thoughtless. This is a game after all - though it is way to addcitive and the game offers ways to level and build a new character within a few hours (lv 70+ is possible in 12 hours and less...a bit more if you don't have friends).

If you die to a PK, you would have sooner or later died in NM or hell. If you do not die to a PK, you might still die by a monster. Its just something that you have to accept. Be thankful that you don't play 1.09, the time of GA killerzons, tp hostiles, Hydra townkills and trigger/drop hacks in Bloodies.

About your claim that in postcounts it's quality that counts, not quantity I have one thing to say:

:lol:

19. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Personally I dont find a story about a 25 pkin a 27 worthy of anything but a "weak" tag!

PKs can try me all they want but those picking on a similar lvl or lower are simply weak and pathetic!

20. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi Magnus ...

But some of that 90% do frequent this forum regularly ..... like me, an avid PvMer.

Yes, PKers are part of Diablo .... but that doesn't mean that those of us who play PvM have to "enjoy" the presence of Pkers. You cost us time, effect, and items (if you manage to get a kill).

Yes, I have seen the arguement which goes like "Hey, you don't like the Pker in the game, then leave". Problem is when a PvM creates a game to do a particular quest. Some other PvMers join and a good party is formed. Maybe you play for 30 minutes, get the peices of the staff assembled ready to open the way to Duriel, and then some Pker joins the game and hostiles everyone. The PvMers bail, as most of us are not twinked like PKers and the game / party is wasted.

Sure its part of the game ... but don't exect us to be overjoyed by the presence of PKers. You ARE spoiling our fun, regardless of being legit or not.

YES we have to live it .... NO we don't have to like it.

Regards Syxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.