Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first wind druid needs your help.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by neumein, Sep 13, 2006.

1. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

My first wind druid needs your help.

After reading through the stickies in the druid forum, I have decided to make myself a wind druid. he is currently in act 1 normal still, level 15, but he has big ambitions.

I have decided that I would like to reach the 99% faster cast rate breakpoint, and maybe go for the 163 later on down the track.

For gear, I've got a wizardspike lined up, Magefists which I am dying to be able to use, Mahim-Oak Curio amulet (not all that great, but the best I have)

I need some armour obviously, and this is where you lot come in. I have been thinking Lionheart runeword, because of the amazing stat bonuses, and resistances never hurt. Que-Hegan's wisom looks okay, but I'll need to trade for that. Any other choices?

He also needs a belt. I could try and get either a Trang-oul's girth or death's guard for the cannot be frozen mod. Gloom's trap looks very nice, but once again, I'll need to trade for it.

And boots, I have a couple nice rares sitting in my stashes, which will do for early / mid-game, but a nice unique would be nice. Any ideas? Maybe a craft could work?

As for shields, I'll be using rhyme runeword for early to mid game, and try and get my hand on a 4 socketed monarch for a spirit runeword.

Any ideas, suggestions, flames, and big cash prizes (tm) are welcome as always.

2. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

You could always wear a Viper Magi for the fcr. that would put you at 80% so all you would need is 2 fcr rings or 1 20% fcr ammy, or 1 20% fcr circlet. Even that belt with +1 skill and 20% fcr (arachnids?) might be a bit expensive though.

Also the Viper can have nice resists. Anyway, thats all I have an opinion on.

-hps

3. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Thanks 'sauce!

I hadn't really thought of Vipermagi. I'm not rich (best I've got is an Um rune) could I get Skin of the Vipermagi for that?

Keep the posts coming.

4. mtzang

mtzang IncGamers Member

Imho, Um rune worth much more than a Skin of the Vipermagi. Just do some hell meph runs(hopefully you have a mf sorc).. I think it is pretty easy to find.

5. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Okay, thanks!

Well, if my um rune is worth *more* than Skin of the Vipermagi, what could I trade to get one? I have everything below Um too I believe, and doubles of most of them too. Unfortunately I don't have a magic find sorceress, I really should get one going...

*scrambles off to create a MF sorc*

Thanks for all the quick responses guys, keep em coming. In particular, could someone elaborate on some boots for my Windy?

6. sunflowersmooth

sunflowersmooth IncGamers Member

First of all Vipers are extremely cheap. I trade mine for like five pgems. There are many boots that will be decent for any build. Aldurs can be aquired for something like four pgems as well.

However, considering you're on a different realm it would seem, trade values might be slightly different. Vipers are not that hard to find however, certainly far cheaper than a pul rune though. Try trading pgems for it first.

7. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

you should easly be able to get your hands on viper and alders for pgems.instead of goin for cbf on belt try to get yourself a ravens frost ring. its realy useful for nearly all builds and the +dex is quite nice for helping with max block (if you go that way...) also instead of the Mahim-Oak Curio amulet you mite wana try gambling/crafting for a rare 1 with +druid skills. you can get some very nice mods on them and i normalys use rares on all my non melee builds

8. Tensaiga

Tensaiga IncGamers Member

Well, how about I just tell you what my druid uses.

Head - Jalal's Mane
    Weapon - Wizardspike
    Shield - Lidless Wall
    Body - Vipermagi
    Gloves - Magefist
    Belt - IK Detail
    Boots - IK forge

Jewelry is all crappy except for a ravenfrost for the cannot be frozen

This actually gives me 120% FCR, something I could afford to drop magefists for a better gloves. Frankly, however, the first 4 items I listed are all I really need. I use the belt and boots simply because I had them laying around, and hey, resists never hurt on a belt and 40% R/W is all I wanted on boots. The best belt by far is arachnid's, which I will most likely never see, and the best boots are...well, I honestly don't know. I could also use some SoJs and a maras, but again, I will most likely never see either.

Nearly maxed resists in hell mode are a plus, and a 2.5K tornado or thereabouts works for me in hell, although it is far from optimized.

9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Assuming you are not using any fire skills, you could swap the Magefists for Trang Oul's Claws. That would give you the same FCR, but also a big chunk of Cold Resistance.

Natalya's Soul are good boots, FRW and cold and lightning resists, but Rares with three resists would be better.

10. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

My Windy is a MF variant, so War Traveler for the boots. Otherwise, anything fast will do.

I tend to stand in melee range when spamming Tornadoes, so I felt it necessary to max block. We all know what the best shield is for that, but there are cheaper alternatives. Gerke's Sanctuary is an option, and socketing it with a Hel rune will almost bring it down to War Traveler's req after +10 str. You can cheaply upgrade Stormguild for 64% shield block and some lightning resist. A Ko and Lem for upgrading Moser's to give 65% shield block, which might not be an option. Or stick with your Spirit Monarch idea, and save the dex for max block for when you get SS.

When I was on Europe ladder, I remember trading an Arachnid Mesh for an Um rune. It is a useful belt for almost all caster characters, so if you aren't planning on doing Hell Meph runs anytime soon, and need a good caster belt, consider trading for it. But remember that an Um rune can be used for lots of other things as well, e.g. Duress rw, CM rw, Gloom rw, etc.

My resistances are not maxed. IIRC, LR is ~60, the others slightly lower. It isn't absolutely necessary with Cyclone Armour. Just make a habit of frequently re-casting and you'll manage without max resists. On that note, consider Suicide Branch, which gives the same 50% FCR, and +1 to all skills.

I had a big think about Jalal's vs Harly. Harly won out even though it's horrid. Even with the over 100 mana that it gives, spamming Tornadoes often required mana pots. It'll be worse with Jalal's, unless if you plan to use Insight on your merc.

Ditto on the Vipermagi. Or Skullder's if you plan to MF.

11. FreakII

FreakII IncGamers Member

There is somethng else you might want to consider, the problems are:
    1. Getting your hands on Earth Shifter
    2. Getting the strength to equip it (this means less points in vit, but means no points in dex as you will not have to block)
    3. Getting your hands on Earth Shifter
    4. Getting a hel rune (not that dificult but still)
    5. GETTING YOUR HANDS ON EARTH SHIFTER...

The problem with that is the low 10% fcr...
    It's more for a ShapeShifter using a Armageddon. But I'm going to try it anyway, with Ravenlore +3 element. You can push your Tornado close to slvl 40. with some luck ;)

It's just a dream... I'm still looking for ES and i had to delete Raven too... :(
    still have the textfile :)

Ravenlore
    Sky Spirit
    Defense: 385
    Durability: 11 of 20
    (Druid Only)
    Required Strength: 113
    Required Level: 74
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x49be0f7b
    +23 to Energy
    +147% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +21
    +7 to Raven (Druid Only)
    +3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
    -13% to Enemy Fire Resistance

12. CelciusXII

CelciusXII IncGamers Member

On behalf of neumein (via phone)

Thank you for all the suggestions and your help. Can you give me some good advice on how to deal with monsters that are imune to physical. Thinking of running past most imune to physical monster, but is their a weapon that you would recomend to have on switch to deal with them.

13. FrostBurn

From my experience, Hurricane should deal with them, at least up to /p5-ish. Throw in Arctic Blast if you're in a hurry. But Hurricane is usually strong enough to not require a weapon on switch. My Windy has Gimmershred and Tiamat's Rebuke on switch, but has never needed to use them.

You only start running when you come across an unbreakable PI/CI...

I might as well mention The Reaper's Toll now before someone else does.

14. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the help so far guys :thumbsup:

I should have noted in the first post that this is almost exclusively PvM. So that rules out some of the nicer runewords etcetera.

I've got a rare circlet with +19 resistance, 20% faster cast rate, and some magic damage reduction, would that work? I would love an arachnid mesh, but don't want to have to sell my soul to get one, would gloom's trap be good?

15. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

If you are interested I have a few items that I will probably never use as the Druids never appealed to me that much. Maybe you can put them to some use besides them gathering dust in my stash:

Jalal's Mane
    Totemic Mask
    Defense: 261
    Durability: 12 of 20
    (Druid Only)
    Required Strength: 65
    Required Level: 42
    Unidentified
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0xb5b5c41e
    +20 to Strength
    +20 to Energy
    +164% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +30
    +2 to Druid Skill Levels
    30% Faster Hit Recovery
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +5 to Mana After Each Kill
    +2 to Shape-Shifting Skills (Druid Only)

Earthshaker
    Battle Hammer
    One-Hand Damage: 98 to 162
    Durability: 51 of 105
    Required Strength: 100
    Required Level: 43
    Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Level: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x9577586c
    +180% Enhanced Damage
    +50 Maximum Durability
    Knockback
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    Hit Blinds Target +1
    150% Damage to Undead
    +3 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
    5% Chance to cast Level 7 Fissure on striking

And this to open up the belt slot a little more (CBF):
    Raven Frost
    Ring
    Required Level: 45
    Item Level: 68
    Fingerprint: 0x10965721
    +17 to Dexterity
    +40 to Mana
    +160 to Attack Rating
    Adds 15-45 cold damage over 4 seconds
    20% Cold Absorb
    Cannot Be Frozen

Just let me know, would be nice to see them put to use!

Edit: I also think I have a spare arachnids but my stashes are so cluttered and mixed right now I have no idea.

16. FrostBurn

The circlet would be good if it helps you reach a FCR breakpoint. Even if not, the resistances still make it a good choice. But I would prefer a Harly, followed by Jalal's, since Windy's need +skills to beef up their Tornado and Hurricane damage.

Gloom's Trap is good since it increases your mana pool and regeneration. Go for it, if that is the best belt you have available.

17. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

@ scarred_life

Your generosity is positively amazing, and will not soon be forgotten. I'll take you up on your offer. Just shoot me an email: neumein (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au

Perhaps I'll make a melee / fire element hybrid, which can put earthshaker to good use...

18. scarred_life

scarred_life IncGamers Member

Stash sent, glad I could help. If you don't want to change your build then don't do it just because of what I listed, stick with what you want and if you don't want to use the earthskaker maybe you can just save it for another character? Let me know when you receive the stash so I can delete it here on my end.

19. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

Another good shield option is Rhyme. MF, 25% resist all, terrific blocking, and CBF. My favorite shield for almost all of my chars.

20. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

@ scarred life:

Stash received, so you can delete the backup on your side. :thumbsup: . Thanks again dude. Level 42, while being a little ways away, I'll be looking forward to it.

@skunkbelly:

I actually twinked across the runes last night, and made Rhyme in a large shield. (the highest block I could find unfortunately) I'm only level 26 though, so I'm a few levels away from being able to use it still...

Thank you all again, without your help, this druid would probably get stuck mid-nightmare somewhere...