My First Tourney--the Point of No Repair

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Yay, AE's gone! Now everyone else actually has a chance! :lol:

Seriously, sorry to see ya go.

I've just finished act 1 with the uber weapon of mass destruction known as...

Cruel Smasher
Wirt's Leg :D
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 21
Durability: 66 of 66
Required Level: 14
Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x61038c9d
+20% Enhanced Damage
+30 to Attack Rating
+12 to Maximum Damage
+21 poison damage over 4 seconds
150% Damage to Undead
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds :D

Also found my second failed unique (first one was a skull cap):

Carrion Barb
Wrist Blade
One-Hand Damage: 6 to 16
Durability: 123 of 156
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 33
Required Strength: 33
Required Level: 6
Claw Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xed8d20e9
+36% Enhanced Damage
+4 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-2 cold damage over 2 seconds

Summoned
Level 20 Frosty
Act 2 - Starting

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
After a lot of thought, I´ve decided to enter this. It´s just too interesting not too. The allowed self-muling was the deciding factor.

Name: Io
Type: Enchantress (both melee and ranged)
Mercenary: Defiance Desert Guard

I´ll max Shiver Armor so I can have an insane defense with this build. In Normal and Nightmare, I will rely on the merc to kill almost everything. I will have level 1 Glacial Spike, Teleport and Telekinesis to help him. When the PIs start to show up, Io will assist her merc in the fighting.

Gaz

Diabloii.Net Member
This weekend ended up as a bit of a write off for my tournament characters.

I started my D2 sessions the way I normally do, and after killing my Magicfind sorc about 8 times in a row, I decided not to do anything with my hardcore characters. Should hopefully proceed a little better this week.

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the tourney, jiansonz. You're right, the premise of it is very interesting.

Anyway, Warranty has been idle for the past few days as well, because I've been lvling my char in the What's Your Poison tourney. But now that they're in the same place (Act 1 NM), I'm going to try to play them both equally and keep them in roughly the same act. That way the challenges/difficulty will be similar and easier to keep track of.

I just hope I don't have a brain lapse and hit the repair all button for Warranty because I thought I was playing Pestilence...

Greyeagle

Diabloii.Net Member
Update for Goshawk.

Build:Impalezon
Level:17
Area:Headed to take out Andariel.

First off, I'm giving up counting the number of weapons I go through. Last session racked up at least ten spears/tridents. I usually leave town with a new weapon plus a spare in the pack, and come back to town when the spare is all used up. Sometimes I don't even have a full pack of stuff to sell.

I can see that Valk and Decoy will be important to this build. Otherwise interrupted attacks will kill me.

One repair all incident last session. Had to drop everything and buy all new equip. I hope that is out of my system. I don't want to do that when I have equip I want to keep around for a few levels.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Greyeagle said:
One repair all incident last session. Had to drop everything and buy all new equip. I hope that is out of my system. I don't want to do that when I have equip I want to keep around for a few levels.
I feel for you people who have this nasty habit. Let´s hope you can get rid of it before you lose some significant stuff!

I don´t have that problem. For me, every individual item repair is (and has always been) a separate project, 'outside' of my normal playing routine.

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmm.

I think I'll play -- I'm so used to working on three characters at once, that now that I've just got one (a Blaze/Enchantress! Woo!), it seems kind of empty.

I'm going back to my roots, kids.

Introducing: Virvelvind, the Whirlwind/Berzerker! Watch as he eats through durability like a madman!

I'm not sure what weapon type he'll specialize in. I'm thinking swords, because my favorite weapon since 1.10 has been Rixot's Keen, although maces hold a special place in my heart (Bloodrise, anyone)? I suppose I might do 10 or 15 points in both, as to not limit my equipment supply.

On a related note, I, too, love the repair all button. I know, "bad! bad! non-twinker....", but the price is always so negligible... except for Seven, my S/U worshipper, who is always strapped for cash. :) It'll be nice to get out of the habit of using it all the time...

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
I am tempted to join this one, as I have figured out a build I´d like to play. I have a question though:

I know we can´t repair items in the town smithy, but is it OK to repair an item using:
* a rune?
* the socketing reward?
* the personalize reward?

(Yes, the latter two repairs the item!)
I'd think that you'd not be repairing the item per se by the quest rewards, since there's no other way to claim it.

IMO that should be allowed -- it would, at most, give you two full repairs on an item, which is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Only 3 more hours left at work, and then I can hopefully get started a bit....

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Teslfrost - lvl 25 - Act 3 Kurast Docks
Def. auras: Resist Cold 1, Resist Lightning 6
Off auras: Might 1, Holy Fire 1, Holy Freeze 1, Holy Shock 2
combat: Sacrifice 1, Zeal 4, Holy Bolt 1, Smite 1, Charge 1, Blessed Hammer 1, Holy Shield 2
saved: 3

I used 7 flails/Long Swords through the Act 2, I didn't care much about their stats. I had a serious problem i Claw Viper Temple, where my weapon broke in the middle of large pack of lightning bugs. I immediatly switched weapon slots, but forgot to switch aura to Resist Lightning and received some serious damage, but I was able to drink.
Durability on helm, armor, belt, gloves and boots went down by 3 points total. I guess it will be worse when the monsters are able to hit me. (They didn't so far)

I bought Serpent's Bone Wand of RESTORATION which gives me repair and nice zeal speed, but I didn't use that yet, because of low physical damage. I will use that as soon as I will have 2 or 3 more skill points placed in Holy shock.

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Io the wannabe Enchantress started her adventures today. Oh boy, how I´ve missed the relaxed pace of act 1 Normal! I wanted a quick character, so I am going with /players 1. The only exceptions will be the act bosses. No-drops from them just SUCK, so it´s /p5 against Andi & Duri, and /p3 against the Prime Evils. No repeats, as usual.

Main reason I have so many characters in progress: I LOVE the early game! I take my time, do my full clears, shop a bit, gamble a bit. I plan the stat/skill points. I like feeling a bit poor, I like the challenge of squeezing out every little bit of the available resources. I will never understand the twinkers. For me, it´s the whole character journey, starting from zero, that is the most fascinating aspect of this game.

With the slow early levelling, I won´t have access to Enchant, Glacial Spike or Teleport until around Halls of the Dead.

Cain´s reward was bound to be useful, as I only had one ring at the time!

This is not a character that will require godly gear. Her main concerns are good blocking, resists, life and a fast 1h-weapon. A couple of skill points´difference won´t matter much either.

During this first session, Io went through the following weapons (none of them broke, she just found better ones as she went along):
* Starting Staff
* Short Sword (2 sockets, didn´t fill them)
* Hand Axe of Shock
* Scepter of Maiming (bought)
* Superior ((+5% ED) Ethereal Bardiche, found in Tower Cellar (Because Io only has STR 31, the 'etherealness' is the reason she can use it. 1-57 damage! That´s Ownage in act 1 Normal on /p1...)

On the switch, she has Ethereal Javelins which aren´t too shabby either. She has another stack of 58 waiting when the 15 that are left have been used up.

Found an end-game worthy item: Russet Small Charm of Blight (7% fire resist, small poison damage). Yay!

I think Io will have a bit more STR than my other Enchantress. She needs to be flexible with her weapon selection. Besides, she wants to wear those heavy armors and shields, both because of their high Defense (which will be multiplied by both Shiver Amror and Defiance) and the high durability.

Up to now, I have used exactly four 'skills': Attack, Throw, Frozen Armor and Shiver Armor. Of course, with a well-equipped companion, she won´t need to do much fighting or use many spells. Overall, this will actually be the case all the way up to late NM.

Level: 13
Next area: Tamoe Highlands

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Virvelvind set out on his adventure today!

Unlike Jiansonz, I'm a little irritated at the slowness of Act I. I wish I had whirlwind now to blast through packs of fallen. :) This is why, depsite my best of intentions, I always start on P8, and end up dropping it by the end of Act I or II.

That said, it is nice to be starting from scratch. My last characters started so long ago, that it's somewhat unfamiliar to have such limited resources at hand.

I always seem to get a widely different amount of experience by the time I fully clear the Moor and Den. This time there was a lot more experience than normal, as I'm almost at level 8 now.

I'm currently using a Gemmed Club (chipped emerald, chipped sapphire), and already have 9% MF. I'm actually hoping to get lots of uniques, so I can actually use some of the items I often find along the way.

I actually had quite a bit of money, as I found five rings before I went into the Den. I gambled a few random armor pieces and got a rare Bardiche (2-28 dmg +1-3 lightning, +69% undead). It makes a quick one or two chop death, and has heaps of durability and will certainly make it through Act I for me, unless I find something better.

The basic plan is 20 points in Berzerk, Shout, Whirlwind, and then 10 points in Mace and Sword mastery. It might end up being 7/7/7 between Axe/Sword/Mace masteries.

jiansonz said:
Found an end-game worthy item: Russet Small Charm of Blight (7% fire resist, small poison damage). Yay!
:clap: Well done, old chap! I have a Large Charm of Blight, and a Large Charm of Strength... so I'm quite jealous.

Name: Virvelvind
Level: 7
Next Area: Cold Plains

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
erimatbrad said:
The basic plan is 20 points in Berzerk, Shout, Whirlwind, and then 10 points in Mace and Sword mastery. It might end up being 7/7/7 between Axe/Sword/Mace masteries.
No Battle Orders in hardcore? I admire thy courage, brave soul. :xeek:

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Summoned said:
No Battle Orders in hardcore? I admire thy courage, brave soul. :xeek:
Well, I was thinking 1 point in BO and BC, actually.

Although, you know, I've Guardianed several non-barb characters without it.

But, you know, I'm in the mood for a bit of a challenge.

Very well, the gauntlet is thrown and accepted! No Battle Orders! I'll use the extra skill point (and the one for BC) somewhere else....

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
erimatbrad said:
I'd think that you'd not be repairing the item per se by the quest rewards, since there's no other way to claim it.

IMO that should be allowed -- it would, at most, give you two full repairs on an item, which is a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Only 3 more hours left at work, and then I can hopefully get started a bit....
Check the earlier post, rune no, others yes, I don't consider them the same item, they've been altered enough.

Sorry I forgot to post my details, (I work retail and this is a busy time of year for me) I saved Cain & killed the countess. I may even run her again as I got a lovely map. I also tend to do full clears and as such start slow. Although, I still haven't gotten the malus quest as I'm avoiding Charsi (I hit repair all) like the plague. Can you go through act 1 without opening the Malus quest?

@AE if you're still listening, sorry to see you go, did you create a char? if you did, what was your exp?

azn_apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
Destroyer Warranty
Level: 50
Act 2 NM: Lut Gholein WP

NM Andy bit the dust today. On the whole, Act 1 was tough, even on players 5. I must have gone through at least fifteen different weapons, most of them crap that I bought from Charsi (yes, I decided to speak to her again).
And I wasn't doing a whole lot of damage. No NDEs though so I guess that is OK...I have almost 1100 life now, and pretty good defense. (~2K when attacking)

After Andy died, she dropped a unique Kris, the Jade Tan Do. Tons of poison damage, CBF. I'm going to have to sell it off b/c it's useless to me. It's a pity b/c Pestilence, my poison necro in the other tourney, has this item at the top of his wish list.

Some monster also dropped Hawkmail, the unique Scale Mail with CBF on it. I upgraded it to a Tigulated Mail and gave it to my barb merc. Now CE's should run in fear of him. The merc has over 1300 life and ~2500 defense...I'd run too if I were the monsters. :xgrin:

I also found a Shimmering Grand Charm with +15 to all resistances. It seemed like a good find at the time. But I'm not sure how rare it is. Is this a rare find or are such charms pretty common?

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
azn_apocalypse said:
I also found a Shimmering Grand Charm with +15 to all resistances. It seemed like a good find at the time. But I'm not sure how rare it is. Is this a rare find or are such charms pretty common?
I seem to find around one Shimmering Grand Charm with my characters. The one you have is perfect, the best resist charm possible! Well, there could have been a nice suffix, too...and three perfect Shimmering Small Charms can of course each have a suffix, yadayada...BUT, in short, a very good find! :thumbsup:

I applaud azn_apocalypse for fast progress in two tournaments. :clap:
Do your days (and nights) have more than 24 hours?

(Sidenote: I checked my swedish-english dictionary to put together the sentence above. English does not seem to have a specific word for what we in Sweden call 'dygn', only the expressions 'day (and night)' or '24 hours'. That´s unusual, as English is known for being very rich in words)

Io has made some nice progress.

@water_moon:
The rules say: "no excesive spelling (50%+ of damage)". I hope these situations are OK scenario, given the rare circumstances in which they happened:
* Carvers occasionally got one-hit killed by Io´s level 1 Shiver Armor (6-8 damage, true pwnage :lol: ). Some of these /p1 monsters have very little life. It was not that many of them that suffered this fate, but those who were DID get 100% of their life taken away by a spell. I assure you that this won´t be a problem for much longer...
* Io and her merc killed a large number of Dark Ones (that were from a Champion Shaman pack) with their weapons. However, every time I lured out a couple more, the shamen resurrected 4-6 of them in about 2 seconds. After a while, Io got so p*ss*ed off she just emptied her mana ball with Ice Blasts! I can´t guarantee that all of those Dark Ones that were turned into ice cubes hadn´t already died before...(Sometimes when I play, my characters seem to take over the controls. Io seems to be a feisty lass, much more hot-tempered than the measured and calm jiansonz.)
* I popped a couple of Statics against Andariel and Radament, taking their life down to about 55%, then used occasional Ice Blasts to help the merc (or in the case of Andi, the tanking Io herself) to survive better. At least almost 50% of the damage was done with merc arrows, merc stabs, Io´s Bardiche swings or javelin throws.

Personal best in act 1: first time I´ve reached level 17 on /p1. That happened already halfway through Catacombs 3. All other /p1 characters have ended the act at around level 16 3/4. Io reached level 17.2. Lut Gholein Sewers was almost enough to take her to the coveted level 18, but not quite.

Level: 17
Next area: Rocky Waste

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
(Sidenote: I checked my swedish-english dictionary to put together the sentence above. English does not seem to have a specific word for what we in Sweden call 'dygn', only the expressions 'day (and night)' or '24 hours'. That´s unusual, as English is known for being very rich in words)
I think the appropriate english word would be 'day'. It can mean, not only the part (of the day) that's not night, but the entire 24 hour block of time.

It's a peculiar language, but I love it!

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
Virvelvind managed to make it up through the Countess last night, leaving me to clear my least favorite part of Act I, the Tamoe Highlands, today.

It's a part I always skip -- it, to me, is your first real taste of lots of elemental damage, and if you aren't careful, it's easy to die.

I might still skip it this time, but who knows.

Things are still going well for Virvelvind. I bought a 2-socket Bardiche from Charsi, as well as a Savage Bardiche (hmm... was it Savage?). The range of damage is such that he'll either slaughter them in one hit, or take two or three to finish the job.

I've had two pieces of equipment break on me so far: a cracked cap, and my gloves of dexterity. I replaced the gloves with some gloves of strength, which I feel are a more appropriate fit.

The journey has been easy so far -- one hit kills do a lot for you. The countess coughed up three runes: a Tir, Nef, and Ral. Nothing quite worth throwing in a weapon yet, but it does give me hope for some quick burnable runewords.

Name: Virvelvind
Level: 13
Next Area: Tamoe Highlands (...or not)

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
erimatbrad said:
The range of damage is such that he'll either slaughter them in one hit, or take two or three to finish the job.
This is forever the fate of Bardiches (and to some extent, also Lochaber Axes). Good potential, but very erractic. I remember my Alphabet tourney Sorceress using Dimoak´s Hew (unique Bardiche) in Act 2 against /p8 Hollow Ones. Sometimes she needed 3 swings to kill them, sometimes 17...

erimatbrad said:
as well as a Savage Bardiche (hmm... was it Savage?).
I don´t think so. Vicious is the best you can shop in act 1. The items here have a cap of 11 to their ilvl. Savage is alvl 26, required clvl 19...

erimatbrad

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
I don´t think so. Vicious is the best you can shop in act 1. The items here have a cap of 11 to their ilvl. Savage is alvl 26, required clvl 19...
Vicious.. hmm... I know it was a mean sounding prefix.

...and since it was 3x%, the AS confirms it.

What's your plan for playstyle, Jian? You going to go full tilt MF again?