Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first Sorc...What to do?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Albanian, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Albanian

Albanian IncGamers Member

My first Sorc...What to do?

I decided to make a MF sorc to build some wealth on the new ladder. I have never made a sorceress before and am unsure of what build to go with. I think I'm gonna go with either blizzard or meteorb, unless someone can convince me otherwise. I know I won't get a straight answer, but I'll ask anyway: Which is the better build?

I looked at some of the guides, but am worried that they are outdated. Can someone point me in the right direction..

Thank You

d:3

2. GreatInRemembrance

GreatInRemembrance IncGamers Member

Re: My first Sorc...What to do?

They may seem a bit outdated but keep in mind nothing has really changed in years.

I think I left right before 1.11 came out.

Now, coming back years later, except for the whole Uber Tristram thing or whatever, there's really nothing at all different.

3. Rassler

Rassler IncGamers Member

Out of those 2, I would personally choose Blizzard.
    Here's a few advantages and disadvantages for both. (IMO only)

Meteorb:
    + Fireball is uber spammable + huge damage
    + Meteor has huge impact damage
    + Frozen Orb is a great room killer/rushing tool
    + Because both are timed, you use slightly less Mana
    - Meteor has that annoying waiting time for it to come down
    - Both FO and Meteor are timed spells
    - FO has only 1, low % synergy
    - Mana-intensive, especially early on (Fireball in particular)

Blizzard:
    + Nice damage when synergy's maxed
    + Glacial Spike is awesome spammable support/defensive tool
    + Ice Blast is like a mini-fireball - nice damage and easily spammed
    + Blizzard is instant (thus easier to judge timing), and lasts a good 4 seconds of constant damage
    - Not as damaging as Fireball/Meteor on paper (however with Cold Mastery, you might be doing more)
    - Being a 1 element build is always going to cause trouble with immunities
    - Mana-intensive, especially early on (Cold Blast/Glacial)

My preference lies with Blizzard simply because I find it easier to play, especially if it's your first char. You don't need to time Meteor to kill things, which makes things much easier, and because all your spells are cold-based, enemies are always frozen + slowed. I also find that more monsters are immune to fire in Hell mode, but it could be just me.

In the end it's up to you, and how you play. I tried making a Meteorb as my first char this season, but stopped her at 71 to recreate my old Light Sorc from last season whom I love to death. It just suits my playing style though.

4. Zygfs

Zygfs IncGamers Member

Blizzard is going to be easy to start. You will find yourself doing mostly meph and that one place in act 2 (which never spawns with cold immunities). Once you get infinity its nice since you have your own built in -cold resist. All in all blizzard is an easy going girl who is capable of much more damage than may be apparent just looking at her. But she is still limited more than any of the other standard sorc builds when it comes to flexibility.

Meteorb is versatile. You will still find yourself doing lots of meph, but also andy. The direct nature of fireball (which despite the name is the meteorbs best offensive skill in the end) makes the meteorb feel very quick and aggressive. Orb is the undisputed king of normal and nm, so its nice to have a place you can play around in or to help rush friends, though any sorc can easily rush normal and nm. Due to the dual nature of the meteorb real power develops a little bit later. You will probably find yourself MFing in NM a bit longer than the blizz sorc, preferring to really make sure you gear yourself up before moving on. The bright side to the meteorb is that while she is perhaps a little slower to start, she has the potential to easily match the sheer destructive power of any other sorcs with the right gear and enough levels under her belt. While what infinity is known for is breaking immunities, it lowers an enemies resist much more if its not immune to the element, meaning that the meteorb can still benefit from her dual nature.

It is actually a perfectly direct chart, the ease of the sorc corresponds to its ultimate potential.

Blizzard is the easiest to start, and caps off the soonest. She is still powerful enough, but there comes a point where you cant really make her 'more impressive' than she already is.

The meteorb is a tad harder to start, simply because while the other sorcs are able to make their attacks better all through NM to prepare for hell, the meteorb has those ~35-40 points into cold she has to spend. However unlike the blizzard sorc, a well built meteorb with good high end gear is not just 'a bliz sorc' but is isntead an 'oh my god that fireball hits for how much?!' sorc.

Lastly we have lightening. Hardest to start with (though still startable and thus counts as a starter sorc if you ask me -as i have done it), she has the most potential, demands the finest gear and pays off the most. Since you did not ask about her there is not much else to say other than i probably would not recommend anyone make one of these as 'a mf sorc', because they require love and dedication to start ^_^ I personally think shes too classy and unapproachable for me though, i like the meteorbs blend of easy going and direct, somewhere in the middle. Also she shoots out fireballs, like a battleship (which shoots fireballs), and i think thats neat.

In the end, if in doubt, make a meteorb. Shes the multi purpose everysorc. And thats why shes my favorite.

In fact i got teary eyed just writing that ;_;

5. Rassler

Rassler IncGamers Member

Very well said Zygfs. I agree with you on all those points.
    Let me restate that it really ends up with how you like to play and how well you are dedicated to your sorc.

Lightning is my favourite because I like the insane random damage. I like hitting for 50 and thinking "what was that" then blasting a second bolt for 50k damage and going "OH YEAH". It's the way I like to play my sorc, and like Zygfs said - it's a lot more difficult to start with due to the reliance on good gear.

Hopefully you'll have made up your mind now, so you can start the Sorceress journey!

6. Albanian

Albanian IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info, guys

From what I read, I like meteorb and lightening

if you could tell me which guides are considered the best for both, I'd appreciate it! :D

Thank You

7. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

There is a good meteorb guide thats right around the top of the forum. I suggest not to build a lightning sorc as you first character.

They are expensive to build and to create one that is "good"

That 50k lightning damage Rassier spoke of only happens with many High Runes worth of gear. So Either go with Blizzard or Meteorb.

8. AlabasterFilth

AlabasterFilth IncGamers Member

also, it helps to know what your sorc will be doing.

If you plan on running meph over and over again, a blizz is probably best.

If you plan on running TC85 areas, meph, andy, I'd go with a more versatile meteorb sorc.

A lightning sorc will be able to breeze through just about any area of the game at high speeds, and is a great choice if you start farming some higher-end currency (runes/keys) once you acquire most of the gear you want from bosses.

9. Rassler

Rassler IncGamers Member

Yeah, sorry, I shouldn't have spoke about the Lightning Sorc >.<
    She's quite expensive to create, especially as a first off character.

For all round versatility, stick with the Meteorb sorc - she'll do great on all difficulties.
    Here is the guide from the Sorceress forums:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254070

One thing I do suggest - when I made my Meteorb, I didn't start maxing out Frozen Orb till after Meteor/Fireball which was a huge mistake. Immunities to Fire start at Act 4 Nightmare, and it was a REAL pain getting through because of it. Make sure you start pumping Frozen Orb as early as you can! (Lvl 30~) It'll really help in the long run.