Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first post (need suggestions on build)

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Harleyquin, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

My first post (need suggestions on build)

I've been playing the game on-off for about 3 years, this is my first 1.10 necromancer build. I only play single-player on players 1 since I'm not that good.

Venom level 70
    Strength 110
    Dexterity 150
    Vitality 125
    Energy 50

20 Poison Dagger
    20 Poison Nova
    1 Poison Explosion
    1 point in every curse
    1 Teeth
    1 Corpse Explosion
    16 Raise Skeleton
    5 Skeleton Mastery
    1 Clay Golem
    1 Golem Mastery
    1 Summon Resist

My gear isn't at all great, the only good thing going for it is the socketed Blackbog's sharp and +1 skills Mummified Trophy. I have a golemlord's wand and socketed diamond Lidless Wall on switch. On both combinations my resistances are well over 100, if I were to go to Hell difficulty cold resistance would be lowest at 15. I have a level 69 might merc with low-level gear.

Questions:
    1. I can't max both mastery and poison explosion, so which one should I pick?
    2. Is it possible to upgrade Blackbog's Sharp?
    3. How on earth do I survive Lister and Baal when I eventually face them?

Suggestions would be welcome. I have gone through the various build threads but the equipment suggestions are well beyond me, also my skill selection is slightly different. Best rune i've got is a single Lem from the Hellforge.

2. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

Well, it's been a while since I've played single player, so if I make dumb suggestions, I appologize.
    I would have suggested more in mastery and less in raise personally, but I know how long it takes to rebuild when you're on your own. Let's assume you're able to make it to 85 or so, that gives you 15 more skill points and 75 stat points. I'd say most if not all of the stats would best be placed into vita. The skills are a little more dependant. I don't see bone armor as feasible with those remaining points and without a pair of Marrowwalks, so I'd be wary of running into Lister's pack with a fairly fragile army to dagger anything. If you just want to use nova and stand back, then I'd say you should beef up your mastery for more durable skellies.
    If you're proactive, dump the points into explosion and maybe look to up your block rate with some of those leftover stat points.
    If you're not sure, you could always do like...5 more into mastery and the other 10 into poison explosion.

In summary, it really depends on your play style, how aggressive you are, etc. The nice thing about skeletons is that they don't require you to have top end gear to be effective. I think with liberal application of Decrepify, and much recasting of your gumby, you should be able to make it past Lister. Besides, once 2 of the minions dies, amp those suckers and CE! Always works for me. Hope I've helped a bit.

~Bails

And I almost forgot, Welcome To The Forums! Read the rules and you'll get along just fine.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to The Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

1. If you are going for a primarily Skeleton based build then maxing Mastery is the best option. This variant isn't very equipment based and you'll have a nice back-up poison attack to help your Skellies with.
    If you want to make a Venomancer you'll need to dump the remaining points in PExplosion. Your poison needs the synergy in Hell. Good gear will tremendously simplify things. Without good gear this variant tends to struggle a bit.

2. Yes. You can upgrade Blackbog's if you are on Ladder.
    1 Lum Rune + 1 Pul Rune + 1 Perfect Emerald + Exceptional Unique Weapon = Elite Version of Weapon

3. That depends on whether or not you are a Daggermancer or Venomancer and how you spend your last few skill points.

4. Harleyquin

Max Poison Explosion it is then, a skelemancer build doesn't seem too good against bosses that do 10x damage against minions. However with my current setup I'm not sure where to place my skill points after maxing raise skeleton. Do I max poison explosion or 15 points in skeleton mastery, or a mix of both?

With a Venommancer, how exactly do you beat Lister and his minions since skeletons get smashed to pieces so quickly?

In Nightmare I didn't have a problem fighting diablo because of his passive behaviour, however Baal with his Long-range attacks and annoying teleports is difficult for poisonmancers. How do you keep him in one place long enough to damage him?

5. Mad Mantis

Don’t mix. Choose. Since the introduction of synergies spreading your points only makes you weaker.

Skelliemancers do really well against bosses. Skellies tank very well, however they do not do enough damage to kill bosses really fast.

Hit and run. Fire of a Nova and then run away until you are out of danger. Rinse and repeat.

Clay Golem works nicely. Resummon Clay right next to Baal and fire of a Nova.

6. Harleyquin

Thanks for the help and suggestions, however before the thread is closed I have one last question. Why is it that skeletons tank well against bosses even though their hitpoints aren't amazingly high and they're going against the 10x damage modifier by bosses?

Final skill point distribution:
    1 point in every curse
    1 point in corpse explosion and teeth (pre-reqs)
    60 points in the poison skills
    20 Raise skeleton
    15 Skeleton Mastery
    1 point Clay golem
    1 point Golem Mastery
    1 point Summon Resist

I take it this build shouldn't die every ten seconds in hell like my first ever necromancer did:D

7. Mad Mantis

IIRC bosses don't gain an 10x damage modifier. Wasn't it much lower? I can't seem to find the page right now.

However. Skellies have amazing regenerative capabilities. They are able to heal themselves back to full life in 1024 frames. That allows them to tank for much longer than their hitpoints suggest. Some can have a shield and have a 3% chance to block with that shield. It isn’t much, but it might save a Skellie once in a while :uhhuh:

8. Harleyquin

I'm not very good at thinking in terms of frames, are you sure skeletons recover that quickly? They don't last very long when the Nightmare ancients go to work on them and Baal's attacks hit harder.

I checked the forum pages and the arreat summit. I think the modifier is 7x which is still a lot given my skeletons only have 349 health and 44 resist all.

9. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

What saved me when I was working up my last summoner was slowing effects. My gear was mostly found along the way, so nothing really fancy or expensive. The thing about the ancients is that they can spawn with crazy mods. Since at level 70 you had 16 in raise, and only 5 in mastery, you had a relatively weak army compared to a full summoner that would have all necessary skills maxed by 65ish. I would bet with your higher mastery you will have much less trouble than you expect. For Baal, use decrep and your clay golem. He will attack very little, as he'll be barely moving (depending on levels for golem etc. of course). If he doesn't attack, he can't hurt anything. If you find that he's doing some damage, stick on life tap for a few seconds and your army will survive forever. Go back to decrep, and when you get down to 1/3 life or so, switch to amp and watch him fall.
    I use trang's set on my necro, so if I find the killing too slow, I use my 1200ish fire wall for fun. It does help a bit, believe it or not.

I think you'll be fine though.

~Bails

10. Harleyquin

I may not have the fancy gear specified in the thread, but the gameplay suggestions and build tips have been immensely helpful. Thanks to everyone who contributed.:clap:

11. Mad Mantis

The 1024 frames translate to 40.96 seconds. Yes, I'm sure about the data. It was posted by RTB. He doesn't make mistakes of that kind. Three Ancients is a different situation than a slowed Baal taking a beating from your entire army.

They have more life than that. With just Level 16 RS and level 5 SM they have 615 life in Hell. That increases with +skills.