Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first Meteorb...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lanello, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

My first Meteorb...

Greetings all,
    I'm new to Single Player, and I've been putting a lot of effort into my first MF SC character, a Meteorb.

I'm a level 86 now, and finally I can run the pits reasonably well.

My gear all self-found is
    Tal's crest and ammy
    Occy
    Vipermagi
    magefist
    aldur's
    rare +11% resist all plus 11% resist fire ring
    ravenfrost
    Goldwrap
    spirit monarch

My resists are pretty good across the board with lit maxed and cold just below 75.

I've 3 sc MF and Ghee's. On switch I have an ali with dual ists and a rhyme.

I'm having issues with Meph, but most of the time I get through the kill. I believe it is mostly a problem of poor technique. My merc gear gets him to survive most of time. I found a elite unique polearm which averages 1K per hit and fires off a bone spear regularly. It's fast attack speed also is helped by 30% IAS on weapon. It had a really high strength requirement, so I put in a hel rune so I could equip it until he levels some more. There were two sockets, so I put a life leech rune (forget which one to get 7% LL). I gave him a gulliame's so I would have good CB and DS. For armor, I made treachery, and with its 45% IAS, he pretty much kicks butt in the pits.

I do however find that I have to farm the pits for rejuvs to have a better chance of survival running meph.

But here are my questions that perhaps you all could help me with:
    I've got good resists, FCR and up to 250 MF now, and I run pits well. Should I trade for Tal's, or just keep on doing the pits till I get the armor and wrappings? ( I also need/am looking for travelers...)

How fast do you all do Meph runs with a Meteorb, and how many rejuvs do you use per run to keep yourself and merc alive?

Thanks,

Lanello

2. janooo

janooo IncGamers Member

Re: My first Meteorb...

Hi!

Do you have a Kelpie Snare? If yes, I recommend to use it instead of Bonehew when running Mephisto. It slows monsters by 75% which is very useful against bosses. I'm running currently Meph as well and I don't really have to drink potions. I did more than 2500 runs and I can tell that the greatest threat is not Meph himself but the blood lords and the council members when they spawn with some very nasty mod (extra strong/extra fast etc.)

3. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

I haven't found a Kelpie's yet (I couldn't remember the name of Bonehew in my original post). I've been trying to get an initial freeze by using FO, then switching to static. Then I'm trying to simultaneously deal with my own health problems because I'm taken attack from Meph, and just as I'm finishing up with the static, my merc usually needs a juv be bail him out of trouble. All as I"m trying to step away so I can continue the attack. My tactics suck. Maybe it'd be alot more effective to teleport next to Meph, then as my merc hits him with a kelpie, I can static and get out of the way before taking so much damage.

Is there any teleport technique that wont wake up the minions, or is it just random? Also, how long does it take to bring down Meph?

Thanks for the quick reply,
    Lanello

4. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Can I get a peek at your skill point distribution? Do you use the "moat trick" to kill meph or do you slam him with frozen orb until he dies? If the latter, what is your cold mastery at? What players setting do you run him at?

5. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

FireBolt 6 (15)
    Fire Ball 20 (29)
    Meteor 20(29)
    FM 11 (20)

FO 20(28)
    CM 8(16) ...I held off from adding 1 pt cuz i expect +skill from gear changes

Resists are:
    Fire 55
    Cold 63
    Lit 75
    Pois 31
    But I haven't completed the rescue quest in Hell yet...

I haven't tried the moat trick. I've been using mostly fire on Meph. Should I be using FO instead?

Thanks,
    Lanello

6. liquid_mage

liquid_mage IncGamers Member

If you use the moat trick you will lose your merc most runs, because he just stands up front and takes mephs beating.

If you want your merc to tank meph. I would throw a frozen orb out to slow him, then run up and static field him to about 25% life. Then I would use fire.

7. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

If you can dodge his minions on each run or not depends on how the map looks. Reroll maps until you get one where you don't even have to see any monster besides meph, it's pretty awesome :)

I'd also recommend ditching the merc when running meph, he will just mess up the moat trick for you, or in best case just die anyway.

8. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I also run meph mercless. All he does is get in the way, wake up other enemies, and coax meph in to firing his frost orb in your direction.

There is another trick where you trap meph in the corner of the ledges and teleport into a corner in the wall behind a pillar so your merc can't move, meph can't see you, and you can just drop meteors on him. But, that's really only useful for bnet where no static maps means you're teleporting blind to find the stairs every time.

I find this a little puzzling. Iirc, FO doesn't work with the moat trick because using FO requires you to be closer than one screen from meph, whereas the moat trick requires you to be far enough away that he can't target you. Use the moat trick with meteor.

9. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Snickersnack: It finally sunk in that I needed to get beyond my pally (tanking) roots and look into Moat trick. It took a while, but I found a youtube video that showed me how to do it. On the first run my merc died, but I was able to finish the run. Since then, I've been running without a merc. I've run 5 or 6 times now (haven't had time for more), and all have been relatively easy and quick (about 1 minute per run). Thanks for helping get it through my thick skull to try the moat trick.

liquid_mage: I've given up trying to tank Meph with my merc for now. When I get godly gear and a few more levels I'll revisit. Btw, I'm trying to incorporate static into my moat trick so I can do quicker kills.

Corale: So far, since using the Moat trick I haven't wakened any of the minions, so it looks like my map role is good. I bet the merc was waking them up, either by wandering or by his HF aura.

To all: Thanks for the help!

Lanello

10. apokalypze

apokalypze IncGamers Member

Good choice on sorceress build! In my opinion there's nothing more awesome than playing around with with two of the sorceress' most powerful and spectacular skills and still being able to spam away fireballs left and right while doing so. :)

Regarding your Mephisto running I played around a bit and recorded a short clip of what I would call a fairly safe moat trick run. The video is far from optimal as far as fast running goes but it's just my lazy way of doing this. I'm also running merc-less and no drinking pots to add to the laziness factor, hence I go chat with Ormus prior to every run. ;)

You could probably speed things up a lot by getting a better map than mine, using pots in order to spam fireballs in between meteors, starting from act 4 etc. but I still recommend sticking with the teleport route (although it wasn't flawlessly executed this time) I laid out and this overall fairly "static" version of the moat trick from a safety point of view.

11. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I didn't recommend it earlier since Lanello is using his weapon switch for mf, but keeping a lower resist wand on switch really speeds up runs. My main gear has 190 mf, which is enough for me.

12. Corale

Corale IncGamers Member

A tip is to always go through the portal to act 4 when you have looted meph, then save and exit. It's much faster going to meph from act 4 start than from act 3 start so you make up for it on the next run.

13. Dalerian

Dalerian IncGamers Member

Thank you, that helps.

14. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Hi all,

apokalypse: Thank you for the youtube video, I like it.

My sorc has been using the moat trick quite a bit now, and last night I found a shako. I also managed to level to 87, which takes quite a few Meph runs! I bumped it up to /p3 to get more experience, but it didn't take that much longer to finish him off.

I've got myself a self-found magic finder, but only because of the help of the forums and guides. I've found quite a bit so far.

Thanks all,
    Lanello