My first HC char

Scudstorm

Diabloii.Net Member
My first HC char

Hi everyone

I made my first HC char on East Ladder. He's a double swing baba who doesn't know where to put his skills points yet. He'll max Double Swing, Bash and BO, have 1 pt in Fury. I don't know what kinda weapons he'll use so no mastery pts atm. Should I max Berserk as IM/PI solution, or go with Double Throw for IM (since it's already synergised by Double Swing)? Going with Double Throw would mean 1pt Berserk for PIs I guess... would that cut it?

I'm wondering what kind of gear to expect for him later on... is any of the following beyond the financial reaches of a first char? I will likely have only pgems for trade.

- Arreat's Face
- Lum rune (for Smoke)
- Lem rune (for Treachery)
- Duriel's Shell
- Gorerider
- String of Ears
- Dracs (or maybe Laying of Hands if that's too expensive)
- Angelic's jewelery (will I need them?)

What kinda weapons should he look for?

Thanks in advance :)

BoD Trader

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: My first HC char

hmmm why not a frenzier? All the above eq isn't out of te question, If you get some nice hfs then maybe an oath and a duress might be at hand

Dunner

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm assuming that by Fury, you actually mean Frenzy. I think that you would prefer Frenzy to double-swing since it has a larger damage potential, plus everyone loves running de-synchingly fast. Double swing is always nice to fall back on in a mana burn situation, since at level 9 it no longer costs any mana to use.

There is an extensive write-up on frenziers in the guide section of the Barb forum. I'd recommend that you check it out and tailor your build to suit your playstyle and desired level of safety.

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Crap! I wrote out a reply to this this morning and I didn't hit the post button. Damn it to hell!

DS is good. Everyone goes with Frenzy, and all you do is run fast and don't really gain any advantage of a DS build besides that.

The DS barb should invest in these skills:
DS - Get this to level 9 after skills, or if you're playing untwinkish feel free to pump it up early on.
BO - You can't get enough life in Hardcore! I like 20 points here.
DS - This gives you +ED% but no +AR%.
Weapon Mastery - This gives you AR and less +ED% than bash!

After that, do what you want. I'm currently dumping the rest of my points into Double Throw - I've got a nice pair of Demon's Arch on switch (Thanks to people for donating these ^_^) But you could throw an ol' pair. Those just happen to fit my stat points.

You could go really crazy and even double swing with the same weapons you're throwing. I might try this with some gimmershreds. Keep a second pair on switch because when you'll burn through them really fast if you've got a chunk of IAS gear on.

The gear looks fine. Just get leech, speed weapons, and whatever DR/Resists/PDR gear you want and you're really set. Runemasters are neato and come with lots of sockets for whatever you care to stick in them.
Headstriker and Coldsteel Eye swords will easily take you through Nightmare mode.
Lightsabres, Baranar's Star, etc.

Remember that weapon speed mostly based on your main hand weapon. The second one could be a 0 IAS Legendary Mallet or a LM with 19900% IAS and it wouldn't change anything. Speedy right hand, slow left. If you find two weapons you like then play around with your favorite "Diablo Weapon Speed Calculator" - Google that if you're not familiar yet, if not...move right along.

I think Duriel's and Angelics would be best for on the cheap play. Socket the armor with the resist rune of your choice. String is cheap and effective, good pick there.
With a little luck Arreats isn't too hard to bag for cheap either. Rockstopper, Guillaume's and Stealskull are also cool.

Gloves can be anything. LoH is classic. Bloodfist are nifty.

Boots are...Resists(infernostride, Nat's, Rares) or CB (Goblin Toes are super cheap, Gores cost a little more), Or possiblly Blood crafted boots for life leech and whatever else spawns.

Most of the stuff I mentioned it fairly common to those who Baal run/MF and should be very easy to get for pgems or even free. Posting in the Hardcore trading forum is the way to go for such shtuff.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

Speakin' of Lightsabres.. I go 2 of them on East (thank you prion) and I was thinking about makin' a frenzy barb... would those cut it?

Scudstorm

Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you guys! :)

My first HC barb deeded at lvl20 when my computer froze all over when I approched a Unique pack in Act3 Kurast. Most regretted items are a 2o's +2 sword +2 axe +1 mace barb helm with which I could've made Lore, and a Twitchtoe. But I'm remaking him ^^

Incidentally, it's also my first barb in D2. So I don't really know what to expect of him... As a general statement, which of DS and Frenzy would be better as first barb?

I may consider putting more points into Shout, maybe max it.

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Speakin' of Lightsabres.. I go 2 of them on East (thank you prion) and I was thinking about makin' a frenzy barb... would those cut it?
Dual LS work great for a frenzier. Socket both with Amn, get some leech from other sources such as a string, arreats. Add a Dwarf Star & Raven Frost and you'll have enough elemental absorb you'll feel almost invincible. Even Mana burn isn't much of a problem because you leech it back so quickly.

Zelator

Diabloii.Net Member

Dual LS work great for a frenzier. Socket both with Amn, get some leech from other sources such as a string, arreats. Add a Dwarf Star & Raven Frost and you'll have enough elemental absorb you'll feel almost invincible. Even Mana burn isn't much of a problem because you leech it back so quickly.
Both with amn? Along with string and arreats? Why so much life leech :jig:

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Both with amn? Along with string and arreats? Why so much life leech :jig:
Fast speed and lots of leech are the cornerstone on which Frenzy thrives... don't forget the leech penalty in Hell...