Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first HC char... tips...?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Dakotazout, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Dakotazout

Dakotazout IncGamers Member

My first HC char... tips...?

I'm thinking about finally making a HC char...

What would be a decent necro or assassin build for HC?

and what are some general tips for a first time HC player?

ty

2. Vilencia

Vilencia IncGamers Member

Do NOT Die.

3. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Do not die? Au Contraire!!! Die lots. Dying teaches you heaps. Dying teaches you about HC.

Well... try not to die, but be prepared to. You're gonna. Sooner or later, you're gonna.
    And I'm not saying that to be mean, just a cold hard fact of reality.

First few characters, make 'em ones you like to play. Sounds like you like to play necros - make a summoner... quite good on the longevity side of things!

Cheers

4. nebby

nebby IncGamers Member

Ditto. In the old days, we would just say PLEASE READ THE FAQ!, only now in 1.10, the FAQ is sort of "in flux". Anyway, the gist of it is- (1) play more conservatively. Don't run heedlessly into areas (especially in NM/hell), and don't hesitate to retreat/flux when things look dodgy (multiple boss packs with the wrong mods, etc). (2) Don't trust WPs, TPs, or other people in public games that you don't know. You don't need to be rude, but don't trust them either. The PKers in HC know a HELL of a lot more what they are doing than PKers in SC, and are often far superior players than most on Bnet. (3) Regarding that, dont be tempted to "duel" (quotes intentional here) someone a lot lower level than you- they will wipe the floor with you. There is a reason they are challenging players much higher level than them, and it isn't charity.
    (4) Put much more emphasis on life, blocking, and resists at first than MF or style. When you do MF, MF places you are easily comfortable with.

As far as charcter builds, as mali said. Go with what your comfortable with. Having said that, builds with high life or beefy minions are easier, and in 1.10, just don't even bother with a melee char right away. Good luck.

5. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

First time hc build: IMO, should be a caster.

Necro build - summoner.
    Asn build - lightning trapsin.

General tips:
    1. Don't go near Might enchanted Dark Archers, or Quill Rats for that matter.
    2. Make an account of mules and mule often.
    3. Don't take 'safe' tp's unless a few ppl go down first and their health doesn't drop.
    4. Learn fast. :D

6. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Tip o' da week: When someone hostiles you, run out into the Blood Moor and type insults to them in all caps. This is most appreciated by everyone in the game at the time.

7. Forbiddian

Forbiddian IncGamers Member

This might sound stupid, but you should practice alt+f4ing. Open up a bunch of windows (or go to a .tk site and use the pop-ups... anysite that a spambot is saying will do fine), and get to know how to alt+f4.

And don't be lazy and think, "I don't want to have to open D2 again."

It takes 25 seconds for me to get back into D2 after an alt+f4 (I timed it to find out if it would be faster to Alt+F4 when I'm going to get a failed game join than wait it out), and it takes 25 hours to get a new character up to speed.

The basic idea is that you'll want to make your decisions before they make you (I rejuv whenever my life hits the white dot on the life bubble, I Alt+F4 at any hostile horn, I press a number greater than 1 (for a rejuv), then alt+f4 if my life drops quickly or below the white dot when I'm in battle, etc.).

I'm more paranoid than most, but I've only died four times (more if you count intentional suicides, "ThePlayerKiller has been slain by ThePlayerKiller" is the funniest message... I wonder if I dropped an ear...).

Hardcore might sound stupid (the only difference is that you lose more), and it will sound especially stupid when you get your first Deeds of Valor (especially if you lag and get a disconnect and don't even get to see what killed you), but the threat of dying makes the game more fun.

Also, there are many fewer noobs on Hardcore. Of course, there are a lot of assholes just after your ear (or your death message if they're a TP trapper), but there aren't that many noobs.

Oh yes, and don't beg for rushes, don't take TP's after you've begged for items (especially if you've begged for itamz), and don't take a free rush unless you can survive anything possible in the act (that includes a pack of champion blowup dolls all exploding at once right on top of you).

I'm paranoid, but I take every TP with Alt held down and F4 covered.

Oh yea, and have fun, it's actually not that hard to not die.

8. Makhlath

Makhlath IncGamers Member

Most people would say a Necromancer as a starter char, since its pretty safe and doesn't really need any gear to start with.

I'd say go with the char class you have played the most, and are comfortable with. If you find necro boring to play, then don't. You're here to have fun :)

In norm/nm its not much to be real cautious about. Just take things abit slower that what you are used to, and don't dive head-first into everything.

I guess the common PK places are the same as in sc. Just be wary of suspicious looking people in sewer-run games, and trav games if you're doing those.

edit: It really bites to die,- but prepare yourself for it, because you will die eventually. Everyone does. And you will most likely lose everything,- so pick up on earlier advice in this thread, and mule often. Don't carry a full stash of goodies. It makes starting over again much easier. :)