Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first HC char - Blizzard sorc

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Cwibster, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Cwibster

Cwibster IncGamers Member

My first HC char - Blizzard sorc

Well, recently like many other people, I decided to make the move from softcore ladder to hardcore ladder. I gave my gear away to a few close mates and deleted my chars to make a fresh start.

I'm gonna be making a blizzard sorc for running bosses etc. I need a few questions answered if possible.

1. Do I go for max block on this sorc with a 2* eld mosers or similar or do I go pure vitality and use lidless and forget blocking.

2. Where do I draw the line between MF and PvM gear? Ideally I'd like to go pure pvm so I can get some nice stats/resists etc for my sorc but would MF be pointless with next to zero MF? (Since this is my first sorc and is totally gearless).

3. What merc would be the best to take out cold immunes in MF runs if I decide to run the pits etc. I was using holy freeze in ladder and at level 85 he was struggling to stay alive during hell so would an act 5 be a better tanking option?

I'm level 24 at the moment, just entered act 3 so I'd like to find out what to do with this sorc before I go sticking points and skills in anywhere.

Cheers in advance :)

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Well, the opinions are many..especially on the max block/all vit decission. The sorc forum is full of them. Some might even tell you to forget Blizz (too many synergies) and use Orb with a bit of CM..then pick a second elemental skill.

Even on the ES/TK issue, you ask 3 ppl and get 6 opinions.

Merc wise I think accept no substitute for an A2 merc, especially after your boss runs start to pay off and you find nice things like Reapers Toll and such ;)

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

1. Do I go for max block on this sorc with a 2* eld mosers or similar or do I go pure vitality and use lidless and forget blocking.

If you dont need much resist from your shield, you better use whitstands guard for blocking. You can put a pd in it for a little resist and still have better block than the mosers. Yes, go for max block.

2. Where do I draw the line between MF and PvM gear? Ideally I'd like to go pure pvm so I can get some nice stats/resists etc for my sorc but would MF be pointless with next to zero MF? (Since this is my first sorc and is totally gearless).

unlike strange tales, more mf is always good if it does not affect your killing speed or staying alive. weapon swich gull rhyme can help you 125% right there (i asume with your fresh start you wont have ist-ist ali or 4 ist monarch)
    the first 100-200 mf really is pretty important, so get those. 300/400 is reasonable, after that it is virtually useless. skullders125+shako74+weaponswich125 makes pretty decent MF. you can add mf rings and gheeds to reach 400.

3. What merc would be the best to take out cold immunes in MF runs if I decide to run the pits etc. I was using holy freeze in ladder and at level 85 he was struggling to stay alive during hell so would an act 5 be a better tanking option?

I have my sorc purely for mephi runs and for boosting other chars trough hell. I dont do pit runs. If you want to do any of those runs, do mausoleum and ancient tunnels, there are no cold imunes there.
    In meph runs, you are better of without merc if you do the moat trick.
    Other than that, i think act2 really is best.

You might want to read my thread "wackens HC mephi sorc" on page 2 or 3 now. It is a build completely focused on safety and only meph killing.
    I must say it is not so good for tunnels or mauso since he does pretty low damage (2k blizz now at lvl 89)
    I think he is very good though certainly in your case (new start in hardcore) since he is not expensive and as close to immortal as a sorc can get.

I really would have to do incredibly stupid things to get her killed in mephi runs....

About the max block and ES:

ES is good if you know when and how to use it, my guess is many people who say it sucks do not know that. Of course, it is an investment though since it DOES suck without telekinesis.

Max block also depends on your other choises. if you choose to use a wizzy, you will be half way there for dex anyway. In that case you certainly should go all the way for max. If you don't, the investment gets a bit more. It depends a lot on what area's you are in. I think my sorc would survive ok in durance since there usually are no huge packs on me (though the block still helps tremendously) but in baal teleporting, where sometimes i land into huge packs, i dont think i would be able to live without it. Also is it needed there to tank a little (against vipers and those frenzy lords) when creating a safe place for the portal at the throne.
    My oppinion though: MAX block always !

mercs stay alive best with life leech and high damage:
    stealskull / tals helm
    Bonehew AMN / HEL
    shafshop

4. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

First and foremost you have to build to what you have.....which in your case is NOTHING!!!

Allocating points towards max block whild not having the items to get max block and good resists like a Wizzy/Whitstans will only kill you.

I suggest getting you sorc into the 45+ area and do a lot of Norm Baals.....this can produce many things that can up your chances for good runs and safe uesting thru NM. Then get yourself thru NM with a party, and run the Baals to 75 or so, then go back and Make NM meph hate seeing you so bad that he drops all the gear you need to take your sorc to the next lvl, or gives you the things you need to trade for the things you want. Simply forget Hell exists for a while as NM Meph can produce EVERYTHIng a sorc needs.....NEEDS.....not wants to be a damn good sorc.

Now any max block sorc is going to have enuff dex to hold a wizzy while naked, so work at having that much dex by lvl 65-70-75. From there you can add items to get your block like a Raven/Dex Ring, Tals Belt, Water Walks......didnt add it up, but I think that is going to put you around Max block or clos enuff that pumping dex for a bit will get you to max block.

i suggest early you get yourself the dex to use a Shard and stop, go all vita and stay base Energy. Find soceted items to put saphires in to get your mana early, or Shop Necro wands.

Slap on that stupid 3 socket shiled with 3 diamonds and go kill things just play accordingly. If you play as your gear dictates you will be fine, but if you tele around liek a freaking lunatic using some Kite Shield with 3 diamonds, 30 FCR and no hit recovery you can get the threat of adding your first post in the Deeds sticky up top!!!

Crap charms are good charms! Sorcs get crap for life with vita points added so even the poorest of life charms is gold to a broke sorc. You only need 8 squares to pick up and item so dont be a fool and leave 24 open so you can grab a lot, fill it up with charms so you can LIVE to pick up ONE item!

It is hardcore, your "second chance" starts at lvl 1 so dont forget that. Dont be greedy and dont be lazy and you will live a long life even if your first sorc is a crappy build when it is done.

Remember that a lvl 75+ sorc can be made in 1-3 days easy depending on how much you play so dont worry about this first one being perfect, make this first one live so you dont loose everything and so she can get your the things you want so you can make a new sorc that is "perfect". This sorc can sit around and be a mule later and if one weekend you decide to play stupid and kill off 3-4 guys she is still there to go pumble on NM Meph to get you going again.

Oh, one final thing........MF is over rated!!! Meph will drop items with no MF on you so dont be a fool and load up MF lowering life, or resist, use what MF you can put on while still keeping your max rez and using your life gear. Please dont forget about your fast cast and hit recovery. Personaly i feel more sorcs die due to simply forgoing things like these in order to bulk up the MF. Those MF loaded sorc can run 500 runs with no problems or 5 and die on number 6 with that SS and Occy laying there on the ground!

Dont be an idiot and use that brain and you will be fine and dont do what you did in SC.......ERASE your mind, go back to the roots.......What can you do with a bunch of gems and some low lvl runes? Look up all the low lvl runewords, and take a good look at all the Normal Sets and Uniques and see where they are very usefull.

5. Cwibster

Cwibster IncGamers Member

Very wise advice indeed. Thanks a lot for the help guys :thumbsup:

6. Mr.Bogohossian

Mr.Bogohossian Banned

Yup, like what the other said.

1. Get max block no matter what, this is hardcore and you are not a summon necro.
    2. Mf advice, go masoleum(near bloodraven) and ancient tunnel(lost city), those places are like heaven for blizzsorc, no cold immunes at all and all slow moving zombies. Plus they have clvl monsters like the pit.
    3. Dropping blizz advice, if you meet deathlords or anything that advance you too fast, drop it between sorc and monster. If you meet ranged monsters, drop a blizz and teleport out of there.
    4. Meph Trick!!! Do the moat trick standing over the other side while meph is trying to get to you. With my old 8k blizz, i kill meph in less than 5 seconds.
    5. MAKE sure you max cold mastery, its a must, max right after blizz.
    6. watch out for lag.....my old beloved 87 blizz sorc with full dr 1100 life died to meph after the 10000000th run due to lag+conviction+1 orb