Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first Guardian. Speeder, the orballing sorceress.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Causa, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Causa

Causa Diabloii.Net Member

Hi all and welcome to my short and humble introduction of my first ever Guardian, ”Speeder” the orballing sorceress.

Well now, starting from the name. Speeder was supposed to be a temp name for this sorc. Originally I had similar HC sorc that unfortunately deeded at hell Hephasto. Her name was JemmaHC (inspired by cute suicidegirl that I saw while browsing Imgur ;) ).

Being ominous suicide-girl made me ignore the fact that my defensive act 2 merc was three (3) times one shotted by Hell Hephasto while I teleported around fireballing away. Guess what, I got oneshotted like a victim of a guillotine execution in 1977 France.

2016-11-07 One shotted lvl80 small.png

After the humiliation from extra strong fana aura Hephasto, I hastely started a new sorc to keep running NM/Hell Mephisto. In a hurry I named my new HC sorc Speeder. I had the luxury of twinking her a little since I had collected some nice items to pass down. So I speeded her right in to Mephistos face yet again in Hell.

Playing on P/8 all the way until Hell act1 and then running to end of act 3 in P1.

I leveled from 81 to 84 by running almost entirely hell meph since I reeeally wanted some decent gear including Shako and Stormshield and some other gear for my new HC characters.

I had some stroke moments here and there when thinking that Gods of Diablo could possibly have some mercy on me.

2016-11-15 Hnnnngh small.png

I could have gone happily with yellow shield and golden shako.
    Since I had no luck of finding my shako I started running Ancient tunnels and kept leveling.

2017-02-02 15_25_25-2017-01-12 Bitter Shako small.png

Had very little luck there. I was bitter, had a horn on my forehead and considered using this helm to embrace my mood.

After playing quite a few chars to hell in the mean time I decided to go back to grinding Meph.

After a lot of Mephs later I finally found the one item I had in my mind from the beginning of my SPHC career.
    2017-02-02 13_04_16-2017-01-24  Shako 999.png - IrfanView.png

It was almost night and I had work the next day so I only run few times to Meph with my new helm.
    Had also some extra pay for working so patiently.

2017-01-24 Meph superchest Gul small.png

So I had gotten my Shako and didn’t daydream of getting a stormshield very next day from Meph. I decided to move past Diablo and resque Anya in act5. Quite frankly I was bit terrified of souls and lighting but kept thinking that I’d give it a try and bail out if my pants caught on fire.

As I proceeded towards Chaos Sanctuary the very first pack of monsters dropped me a surprise.

2017-01-25 Shako nr2 next dayuuu.png

That drop made me laugh since it was just day before I had gotten my first Shako.

Kept my already socketed Shako on and kept on going.

Teleported around Diablos pentagram and made him easy if just a tad long fight.

Act 5 I pretty much teleported through until I reached Anya and had some really close calls mainly because of souls.

Soon after this I was feeling little confident and went onwards to find ancient waypoint. I also checked where on this map I would find the hole to climb to mount arreat. Guess what? Well of course you guess it since it’s a Guardian thread. I needed to test how would the Hell Ancients feel with my sorc. Rerolled them 2 times since they had some extra nasty mods and immunities. Third try I decided that despite one of them being cursed and I think one was might I would take them on. My merc couldn’t keep his act together for few sec with them so I had to save him constantly and take the Ancients out one at the time (I baked them some Orb-cake and made them eat it).

After ancients I once again had some confidence and made up my mind that it’s about time to try and take Baal’s minions for a walk. No funny business beside souls in WS K lvl3. Minions agreed to come walk with me and despite the fact that I had cleared all of that level for safety, none of that space was needed. Every last one of them was set free in the presence of Baal and his pathetic throne.

Baal himself was of no match to my determination. I knew that if Ancients and Baal’s minions couldn’t stand before me neither could he.

It was no surprise that he fell so easily since all that he had for drop were Arioc’s needle and Bladebuckle (which I already was wearing).

2017-02-01 1st Guardian small.png

There, it was done and it most certainly was fun. I must admit that I do miss that 34 life 15 allres grandcharm that went down with JemmaHC. I took care of my resists with Mosers with 2 perf diamonds and skin of vipermagi. Also had Tals amu and some rather decent charms like 11Fire res/7mf small charm and such.

Thank you for taking the time to read my rather mediocre journey to Guardian. It was however an important one for author.

I'm already planning on making more of my chars Guardians. After few of those and I know I'm going to try making selffound-only guardian where I can not use any previously acquired items.

-Causa

2. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Very well done !!! Congrats on that Guardian :). First one is always special.

Hopefully you can keep her safe, so you can find a lot more cool stuff for her and other characters. If possible, try to hunt for an Ohm and make CtA. It makes not dying so much easier ...

Causa likes this.
  3. Causa

Thank you so much.
    I didn't mention that I've done some small LK running (few hundred) for that ohm. I'm still going for it since it would make life more comfortable for many chars. Just now I started to run some Hell Cows. Just for fun mainly and to see if I find some socketables.

-Causa

4. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

Keep at those LK runs :) it is where i found my ohm really nice to read and good job sir!

Causa likes this.
  5. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Great job! Taking a sorc all the way without dying is a nice feat, congrats!

Feel free to join the rune finding league that is just starting, btw! That Ohm might drop, you never know ;)

Causa and T72on1 like this.
  6. DaveW

DaveW Diabloii.Net Member

Job well done Causa. A Guardian is always an achievement imo. Could you post ur stats and skill placement as well as gear for you and merc.

7. T72on1

This.

Lynchgrinch likes this.
  8. Causa

Stats were pretty straight forward.
    Enough str for gear (I had Ali Baba on switch, so 70str).
    Dex for max block with mosers and it was around 240-250.
    All rest to vita. 260-270. Had some nice lifers (plain 15-20) so with these I had 1100-1300 life depending on setup.

Gear:
    Oculus with 9dex [email protected] jewel
    Mosers, 2perf diamonds
    Skin of vipermagi [email protected] iirc
    Tals amu
    dwarf star ring
    10fcr little dex, some 20life rare ring
    Waterwalks for boots
    I switched rings if I were MF'ing.
    Helm was rockstopper/3sock 3x life 3topaz (again, questing/MF'ing)
    Belt was upped goldwrap or Bladebuckle
    on switch Ali Baba and Rhyme bone shield.
    Charms I switched quite a lot depending of situation. Mostly life and res charms.

Resists were maxed except poison.
    edit- Forgot about merc.
    Non eth tresher insight (rwm is in use as is common stash for all chars. One of the reasons I find SP much more fun now days)
    Also used Eth perf ed% Kelpie for meph running. One of nice items I found.
    Also used non eth Honesundan
    Blackhorns face / tals helm
    Duriels / stone in eth diamond mail.

Stats were:
    prereqs
    Max orb
    13-15 cold mastery
    max firebolt
    Max Fireball
    1 warmth
    1 enchant
    1 firemastery
    1TK
    1static
    ~10 in teleport to keep the cost down.

These are mostly from memory so it might be little off.

Hah, did few cows in Hell and had my share of luck for one day.
    2017-02-03 Sur cows small.png

And on top of that:
    2017-02-03 Gheed cows small.png

Thanks for all the support. I appreciate it a lot.

Edit #2- I was wrong. I had more luck coming today. Popped a Mal from chest in cow level and while fetching a wirths leg I got Arm of King Leoric for my Fishymancer. Been waiting for this for months :D
    Love you guys for keeping this game and forum alive after all these years. /edit

-Causa

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    ILikeRocks and T72on1 like this.
  9. Causa

Darn, I propably should have joined the RFL with my luck =)
    Got also a Mal and Ist from cows and Gul from way to Hell Andy with my Whitchyzon.

Yeah well, I know that the big league gets a lot higher runes but these are still ok for ;)

I should propably try to guardian my summonmancer also. Respeced my sorc to Blizz now for cow and AT running.
    I really like Orb for questing but Blizz is quite nice for grindfest.

-Causa

10. DaveW

Thx for posting gear and stats. But you have re-specced as well. All good bro. Try to get CtA as well as HotO as they will help damage wise and survival wise ... very important for HC. That eth Kelpie can help for boss kills, like Hell Meph, just needs upping to Stygian Pike. (Pul +Lum) Just get some DR gear on merc and you good to go. (Vamp Gaze and Gladiators for example) Then she can outfit all ur chars with good stuff. But since you gone Blizz you can also Moat Trick old Meph.

Also Guardian that Summoner. He is awesome at WSK 1 and 2 runs and he can load up on MF. Be careful on level 3 coz u can run into Physical Immunes there. Also AoKL is not always the best wand for a Summoner in HC. The ctc Bone Prison can put u in some tricky situations. The Carin Shard is pretty awesome and has some good stats.

Dont forget that 3piece Tals Gear can get you some nice MF as well as some offensive power. OK Laters.

Causa likes this.
  11. Causa

I've been wondering, is HotO really much better than Oculus? You can socket ocu with allres jewel like I have done so resists are not that different. Fcr is something if that 10 makes a difference gear wise.
    For me it seems like a clear choice since I've found Oculus and could really use those runes elsewhere.
    Random teleporting haven't been a huge issue for me.

-Causa

12. DaveW

HoTO gives a nice life boost with the Oak Sage charges. The Sage tends to get targeted first by the monsters and dies alot but its best they target it first and not you. Plus you just recast anyways. The 40% FCR helps to reach another breakpoint (btw you didn't list your gloves so Im guessing Magefists or Trangs) Plus you get 15% mana boost as well. The annoying thing with Occy is the ctc Teleport. In HC you want to reduce random events happening, not give them a chance to occur. As for MF a Rhyme and Gull on switch for Meph kills makes up for loss of MF on HotO. But its all up to you.

13. T72on1

Hoto only requires a Vex. That might seem like much initially, since it's still a HR, but you'll soon find out that it's not hard to get one. And yes, the CTC Teleport also ruins Oculus for me. I used it on my Blizz sorc for mf runs, but really hated the proc.

14. Causa

Gull is one of the items I haven't found yet. I have two Ali Babas and I've socketed some dex/mf jewel in other socket.
    I'm still confused about HotO. Or should I say that I can't seem to get my mind to make one until I have some "more important" runewords made.

When I get some HR's I don't know if my goal should be CoH, Fortitude or Enigma. Enigma would be nice for some chars, summoner, hammerdin, javazon. CoH might be nice for sorc since I haven't found Tals armor. I could also go with skulder's for my sorc and javazon if I just could find one.

One thing is quite clear and that's Cta. It's priority on my list since it can save quite alot of time for not needing to redo my deeded chars =)

-Causa

15. T72on1

Yes, in HC CtA should definitely get priority. Time to hit LR and pray for an Ohm :). For other runewords, and particularly armors, it depends. I'd probably go Enigma for non-sorcs in the long run, and CoH for almost all other occasions. But it all depends on the character, the build you want to play, the runes that drop for you, ...

16. Burgomaster3

Burgomaster3 Diabloii.Net Member

About HotO: Its usefulness really depends on what targets you're planning to run. For AT Oculus is fine if you manage to live with the CtC Teleport, but if you ever plan to venture to Travincal or Chaos Sanctuary, then HotO is your best bet. Unless you find Death's Fathom of course. Tranvical and CS have so many things attacking you from every direction they're nigh unplayable with Oculus. But they might not be the safest targets for HC play anyway.

I've played with Ist'd Oculus in AT for a long time now, and while I think it's a great weapon for MFing, I'd still think twice using it in HC. While you learn to manage the CtC Teleport, it's still highly unpredictable. It really depends on bosspack density, how deadly the Teleport can be. If you plan to use Occy in AT, you should try to learn your map very well, and try to reach the 105% FCR breakpoint, for quick escape. Dunno, maybe someone with an actual HC experience should chime in here :)

I wouldn't discount Wizardspike when choosing a weapon for HC sorc. It's the best for LK anyways, and works very well in AT where you get by with lesser damage output.

As for other runewords, you are right, CtA should be your #1 priority, it will make your life easier and your runs faster, since you will be able to play a bit more aggressively. After that? If your CtA roll is good, I'd probably make a HotO, but if you roll bad, I'd consider using possible Vex runes to cube up another Ohm. Enigma is an obvious choice if you plan to make other characters. CoH is great, but I'd like to remind you that you already have a great Sorc armor in Skin of the Vipermagi, so you might be better off using your Bers for Enigma and/or Infinity. Again, depend on what targets you plan to run. Fortitude is a great merc armor, so unless you plan to make a melee char using Grief, that's where Lo should probably go.

Just roll with what you get. Blizzard sorceress is a great character, in that she doesn't really need any runewords to be end-game viable. Ok, CtA is debatable, but you can go long way with just AT runs, and since it seems you're doing ok with Cows as well, you have a better chance to score a nice rune sooner or later. Just try not to expect anything, the game can read your mind and never gives you what you want ;)

17. Causa

I don't know all the areas I'm going to run since I don't have all those running characters (or gear) ready. I just Guardianed my Pit runner (fishymancer) and it was easy as a pie. Just took the time to actually run all the areas and watch things die before my skeletons. Amp+Might with 13 skeletons, 12-14 revives, 6 mages and a firegolem that draws all the attention. Doesn't get much easier than that ;)

When I was running Hell Countess for runes with my sorc, I used setup that gave me 105fcr, 60fhr, max resists (poison I didn't care about), max block and also fast block. With that setup I had very little, if any, problems teleing to Countess or in LK. For LK I switched my def merc for holy freeze. Made loot checking much more relaxing.

I have very near WP-Entrance to Pit with my Summoner and rather poor WS K map layout. Pit map is actually quite decent so I would like to keep that. Maybe I should roll new ones until I have semi-decent both maps. WS K with summoner is so easy that I haven't found any obstacles yet. Souls in lowest level gave some reason for not being careless. Baal and his minions are mostly not any problem. Third wave is always hardest on mercs survival but with strong enough skeletons they go down fast enough.

So WS K and baal is one location I can keep running. Also Pit. Sorc can do decent job in AT and cows. Necce has 250+MF and Sorc I think had 199MF. I could of course tweak those numbers with charms and such.
    I don't know if I should keep running Hell Meph with sorc since there are many items I would like to get. Or should I keep running those areas to get items and also runes? Oh, and I also would loooove to find Tals armor so maybe that rules Meph out. I can definitely handle myself in AT and cows since I keep HC mentality and that means slower progress than SC. This kind of talk could easily bring deeds-screen in front of my :eek:

-Causa

18. DaveW

If you're after items to gear up other chars, I'd say run Hell Meph. My 2nd Guardian was a FO sorc who pwned Meph for so much useful stuff for other chars and builds (in fact she's still alive after all these years lol). If runes I'd say run LK. Hint: don't tell the game what ur after (Tals Armour) It seems to have a way of Not obliging. Good luck.

19. Timinator

Timinator Diabloii.Net Member

Big Congratulations! This is something major I'm yet to knock off. I'm impressed at everyone that does this, especially the first time, and as you say, those deaths sting.

20. Causa

I'm by no means experienced player (compared to veterans here) but it seems to be true that having multiple characters and playing many of them takes the sting away from dying. I mean, of course it still feels bad but you didn't lose everything. Can still keep running with other chars and make a new version of that deeded one.

I've done some run with P3 at pindle. Found some grailers for me but nothing that useful yet. Well a skiller with 23 life is not bad but when it's barb combat... I don't know about those.
    Should I keep P3 or P1 for Pindle? With 5,5k blizzard he goes down fast enough. I think I need to roll a nice map for Meph again. Could use some items from him still...

Edit- Should I edit or double post?
    I decided to roll new map for Meph. Few dozen runs later he dropped Stormshield. 10 runs later drops eth unique javelin, eh, it's thunderstroke, another 10 runs and I find Skulders. Thanks Meph =)
    Ok I'll check AT distance while I'm here. It's one teleport from WP.
    So, I have 8 teleport to meph and 1 to AT and maps are actually quite ok. I'm no expert on AT maps so can't tell if it's good or bad map but there is no need to backtrack or skip areas. This was a good day Diablo-wise =)

-Causa

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017