Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My first Diablo II journey with a Barbarian

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Metropolis Man, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Metropolis Man

Metropolis Man IncGamers Member

My first Diablo II journey with a Barbarian

I've got a basic question here before I start building my first Barbarian. The Brady Games strategy guide that came with my BattleChest has suggested stat point spreads for the Assassin and Druid, but not for any other characters. What are your Strength-Dex-Mana-Vitality recommendations as my Barbarian levels up? I plan on sticking with the axe provided and going the hack and slash route.

Thanks.

2. norvi11erogers

norvi11erogers IncGamers Member

Hi there. Welcome to the game.

If you're planning on playing on battlenet, or even if you aren't, you should probably be aware that there are a few changes since the time of that guide that have made it, well, obsolete.

If you go online, or if you'd rather, you can download the 1.10 patch. This alters the game incredibly, creating synergies between different skills as well as altering difficulty in different parts of the game. The 1.07 patch (the default one for the expac, i believe), is in some ways easier, but aspects of hell, the highest difficulty, are incredibly hard.

For player vs monster, many point strats work. For most weapons that barbarians use, points in str increase damage, points in dex increase ar, defense, and block (if you use a shield), and points in vitality increase life.

Generally, the points you get from str and dex in terms of damage, def, and ar, are negligible compared to the benifits you will get from better equipt. Thus, many recommend you have enough str/dex for your equipt and not much else. The remaining points should be saved (in case you find a new weapon or armor you like) and put into vitality. Never put anything into energy. If you need mana, find equipt that adds to it. As it appears you are going untwinked, it might be difficult to know what kind of weapon you should master. It would be terribly sad to put several points into axe mastery, for example, to discover an incredibly cool mace or sword later. No matter what build you go with, it's important to put as many points as possible into battle orders. This boost to life and mana is essential.

It depends on whether you're playing online or single player, but of barb builds, the most typical are whirlwind and frenzy. Whirlwind is arguably the best barb attack skill. however, without proper equipment (and seeing as it's level 30, which to a new player, can be quite far away), it can be difficult. Its mana cost is steep, so you will definitely need mana leech.

Ok, i'm at work now, so i should not be spending so much time with this. Hopefully others can give you more advice. Hopefully this isnt totally below your understanding. i assumed you had zero barb / diablo ii experience.

3. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

there are pretty much 2 truisms for the barb class as far as stat points:

1. never spend in energy. it is never worth it. the returns are awful, and mana can be had from equipment.

2. spend at least half your points in vitality. unless you are trying to make a titan barb (tons of strength) or unless you are trying to get max block (berserker), then spending in vitality will produce far better results than any other point. the damage returns from strength and the AR returns from dex are awful, simply put. the barb gets 4 life per vitality, and that can easily be doubled by BO, giving him 8 life per point in vitality, or 40 life per level up if you spend all 5 points. high life gives you more flexibility than any other characteristic, including max block, when it comes to equipping and designing a character.

4. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Is it just me or is that bradly game guild just bad advice? Not to be a dickhead or nothing.

turkey just said it all. You can use the guilds here on for addvice.

5. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

Since you are starting from scratch, may I suggest you go with the frenzy route. One of the synergies, (synergies are bonuses to main skills that you get from putting points into another skill as directed in the descriptions of each skill in the respective trees) for frenzy is double swing. While double swing itself does not have any damage added to speak of, after investing just 6 points into this skill, (achievable at your character's level of 12 assuming placing 1 point in the skill each level from level 6) the mana cost is zero. Not using any mana before you can get a hold of mana leech is pretty nice. That is not to say that you cannot use any other skills while using mana pots to make up for the lack of leech, but swinging two weapons at a time fairly quickly at an enemy almost makes up for the lack of damage and mana leech. I find that it works well when making a frenzier.

Should you decide to go with frenzy, let me recommed this to get you started.

You start out at level 1 with no skills to use.
    At level 2, you get one skill point and 5 stat points. (I will let you follow previous posts or go on your own to decide where to distribute stat points)

After you make your first level (level 2) Place the skill point into bash(Combat Skill tree)
    When you level again (level 3) Place the skill point into Howl (Warcry Tree)
    (level 4) Save it
    (somewhere in here you will probably get the skill bonus from clearing the Den of Evil, Act 1 Quest 1) Save it
    (level 5) Save it
    (level 6) Place one point into Double Swing (combat masteries skill tree), and one of your saved points into Shout(Warcry Skill Tree)
    (level 7-11) Place one point into double swing each level until you hit level 12
    (level 12) One point into double swing, one of your saved points into Double throw, and your last saved point into increased stamina (combat masteries skill tree)
    (level 13-15) One point into double swing each level
    (somewhere around here you will get another skill point for completing Act 2 Quest 1) Save it
    (level 16-17) One point each level into double swing
    (level 18) One point into double swing, saved point from Act 2 Quest 1 into Iron Skin (Masteries Skill Tree)
    (level 19-23) One point into double swing each level
    (level 24) One point into Frenzy!!! (Combat Masteries Skill Tree)
    (sometime around here after defeating Izual in Act 4 Quest 1 you will gain 2 skill points) Place 1 point into Battle Orders (Warcry Skill Tree) and One point into Increased Speed (Combat Masteries Skill Tree)

At this point in your leveling, you will have 234% enhanced damage with frenzy (because of the base damage of the skill and your points placed into double swing) 7% increased attack speed, and 47% faster run/walk speed. The only downfall of this is you still may not have any mana leech, which can run pretty tough. But I may be able to help you out if you wish with a manald heal ring or two to get you started. If you want help with some gear to get you started, I'd be more than happy to help, just post again and let me know along with a time you'll be on and your account name. If you decide that you want to go through it without anyhelp, might I suggest while you are leveling your barb, you identify any and all rings or amulets that fall as some may provide the life and mana leech that you need. Good luck and happy hunting.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The reason I did not include any weapon masteries for you to place skill points, is that I think its a good idea when you first start out to wait at least until you find something that you might like, and at that point, start pumping the appropriate mastery for that weapon type. Also as far as where to place skill points after you hit level 24, I suggest that you place as many points into battle orders as you can first, to really build up your life pool.

Also, please take some time to check into the Guides section stickied at the top of the page to do some research on barbarian builds, strategies, and other helpful information, as this in a sense is the most recent and up to date "brady strategy guide" that you could possibly use. Lots of people have thoroughly tested things and it will help you not to make the mistakes many have already made and make your D2 experience a happy one. :)

GargonCerlan :drink: :buddies:

6. Metropolis Man

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Here's another newbie question: How do I use additional skills (i.e. warcry, bash, etc?). I can't figure out how to assign a hotkey. Thanks, again.

7. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

First, hit escape while in a game... then go to options, then configure controls. here you can change which hotkeys you want to use. some people use qwerasdfzxcv for their hotkey skills, I personally use F1-F8, e, r, z, x, and c. Don't ask why, its just what I've always used and thats what I feel comfortable with.

Then when you click on the left hand side or right hand side skills next to your life and mana orbs, it will bring up a little menu. Here is where you assign the hotkeys. hover your mouse over each skill you want to hotkey, and then hit the hotkey you want to use. this will assign that skill to that hotkey. now when you click outside of that menu, you can scroll through your hotkeys by hitting the keys you assigned them to. Hopefully this helps.

GargonCerlan :drink: :buddies:

8. MegaHunter

MegaHunter IncGamers Member

i put my atributes on strength dex and vitality cos i like lots of hp and stronge as possible.

9. newerest

newerest IncGamers Member

Welcome to the club.

10. Metropolis Man

Well, I bit the big one on the 2nd jail level — 6th Quest of the 1st Act. I took everyone's advice and basically pumped all points into life. I think I put four or five into strength at one point to wear some ring mail, but that was it. When I bought the farm I believe I had over 300 life points.

What an awesome game! My rogue companion is a nice compliment to my close quarters slash approach.

The only monotonous part of the game (so far) to me is constantly going back to town to unload what I've picked up. "I am overburdened." Ugh. Every five minutes with the I am overburdened. And one thing that struck me as strange — and different from Diablo — is levels don't stay cleaned out after a save.

11. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

Only pick up what you need or want. You will find that in the latter levels you will need a more powerful weapon like in act 3. Worry about that when you get there tho. Also when I am low in level I use steel the rune word I have found that is helps out alot. I could use it till I have beaten normal. Like in 2 axes.