My First Bowazon: Equipment Questions

FishHat

Diabloii.Net Member
My First Bowazon: Equipment Questions

I'm pretty new to D2 in general, and I'm thinking of making a PVP Bowazon. I've read the guides, and I have a few equipment questions:

First, I never see enigma mentioned as a bowazon armour, even as a second or third choice. Why? It seems like the +str and teleport would suit the build.

Secondly, about Helms (In particular I'm refering to fallen angel's guide), the best helm is listed as an IAS/ed/life helm. I was wondering whether a good 2os crown of ages, socketed with 2 40/15 ias jewles would be good. I know it's costly, but assuming I have the gear, this seems like it's going to be very good.

Finally, about charms, should I go with 3/20/20s or 290s? I know 3/20/20s are listed in the guide, but since guided arrow always hits (right?) , isn't a fair amount of the charm wasted?
 

Darkchrono22

Diabloii.Net Member
Well...Enigma wont work...ur a bowa u'll run fast, and u shudnt need str...str doesnt add to dmg.
Ed ias/life helm is obviously good...but i think coa with 2 ias will work if u can reach ur bp...depending on wat bow ur using
As for 3/20/20s or 290s...depends on if ur manner duelin..i'd prefer 3/20/20s no matter wat. 780 life is a looootttt and pvp zon not only ga is useful
 

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
FishHat said:
First, I never see enigma mentioned as a bowazon armour, even as a second or third choice. Why? It seems like the +str and teleport would suit the build.
Enigma isn't useful to bowzons because:
1) Doesn't have any resistances whatsoever. Bowzons can't use shields so the resist department needs to be covered somewhere no?
2) Str is nice but doesn't add to bow damage, and bowzons don't need that much str anyway.
3) For Teleport to be effective, FAST CAST is needed. It would be very hard to cover both IAS and FCR departments effectively on a bowzon. Amazon is the slowest caster of all chars.

But of course, if you think you can make a good PvP bowzon with Enigma, why not?

FishHat said:
Secondly, about Helms (In particular I'm refering to fallen angel's guide), the best helm is listed as an IAS/ed/life helm. I was wondering whether a good 2os crown of ages, socketed with 2 40/15 ias jewles would be good. I know it's costly, but assuming I have the gear, this seems like it's going to be very good.
Crown of Ages isn't at all bad, but the STR requirement is HUGE. Few bowzons can afford 174 str, unless you'll socket your CoA with -req jewels. But even then you'll be sitting on a number well over 100STR. Still if you use Faith in Matriarchal bow, you can reach final speed BP and still be able to wear any helmet - CoA in this case. Although CoA is probably for more defensive play, 120-45 helm is all offensive.

FishHat said:
Finally, about charms, should I go with 3/20/20s or 290s? I know 3/20/20s are listed in the guide, but since guided arrow always hits (right?) , isn't a fair amount of the charm wasted?
Obviously 3-20-20 is always better. Dmg, life, ar is much better than psn dmg IMO. And yes, ar is needed in PvP also - Multishot is quite effective against some PvP builds.
 

FishHat

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the answers, I'll probably go for CoH and a zon circ with 3/20/20s (assuming I can afford them)

On a different note, as I do more research, I'm wondering how competitive a PvP bowazon is. Is a well made, well equiped bowazon competitive with the other main-stream PvPers, such as Bone Necros and Windy Druids? Is it worth making a bowazon, or has 1.10 reglated them to "second class" duelers?
 

SlainByPain

Diabloii.Net Member
Leohappy said:
Enigma isn't useful to bowzons because:
1) Doesn't have any resistances whatsoever. Bowzons can't use shields so the resist department needs to be covered somewhere no?
2) Str is nice but doesn't add to bow damage, and bowzons don't need that much str anyway.
3) For Teleport to be effective, FAST CAST is needed. It would be very hard to cover both IAS and FCR departments effectively on a bowzon. Amazon is the slowest caster of all chars.

But of course, if you think you can make a good PvP bowzon with Enigma, why not?

Crown of Ages isn't at all bad, but the STR requirement is HUGE. Few bowzons can afford 174 str, unless you'll socket your CoA with -req jewels. But even then you'll be sitting on a number well over 100STR. Still if you use Faith in Matriarchal bow, you can reach final speed BP and still be able to wear any helmet - CoA in this case. Although CoA is probably for more defensive play, 120-45 helm is all offensive.

Obviously 3-20-20 is always better. Dmg, life, ar is much better than psn dmg IMO. And yes, ar is needed in PvP also - Multishot is quite effective against some PvP builds.
A few comments what you said about enigma.

1) I would say that the lack of resists isn't the main problem with enigma, but the larger problem lies in the fact that enigma lacks both damage and IAS.

3) Teleport doesn't need to have FCR in order to useful for a bowazon. In fact, I found teleport to be quite useful when I want to hide behind a wall or quickly outrun a javazon. It's not that the teleport itself isn't good, it's that it lacks everything else.

As for COA, it's not all that bad when combined with other mass str items such as steelrends or shadowdancers.

I would'nt advise on using a faith matriarchal bow. The damage is simply too low. A shadow bow would be better. I still say WF is an incredible bow though :) .
 

Omikron8

Diabloii.Net Member
Amazons are by far the WORST casters in diablo 2. Therefore in pvp they need A LOT of run/walk, not teleport.
 

SlainByPain

Diabloii.Net Member
A bowa with teleport uses it as a situational skill rather than a mode of transportation. With your theory, enigma wouldn't be bad since it gives 45% frw.
 

Leohappy

Diabloii.Net Member
FishHat said:
Is a well made, well equiped bowazon competitive with the other main-stream PvPers, such as Bone Necros and Windy Druids?
I'd say bowzons can't really hope to beat every char in PvP and are actually just solid now (depending ofc on build and skill of the player). Maybe they are stronger in some league where the use of non-char skills is forbidden (but then you also can't use Faith).

WW Enigma Barbs and Windy Druids are bowzons worst nightmare really. Barbs have tons of HP and DR and with tele they can reach you quickly, Druids are problematic because their Hurricane and Tornados block-lock you terribly, so the only chance you have is to keep distance really.

Other than these, chances are good you'll be able to beat most Sorc and Necro builds. Haven't really dueled any Assassins/Palas though, and I've rebuilt my bowzon now for my MF needs :p.
 

SlainByPain

Diabloii.Net Member
Bowazons are very hard to use but can beat almost anyone if played well. WW barbs aren't that hard, it just takes a long time to kill them. Wind Druids are a bit harder but still possible to beat.
 
Top