Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My experience at PAX

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by AERobinson, Sep 9, 2009.

1. AERobinson

AERobinson Diabloii.Net Member

My experience at PAX

I was lucky enough to get to play Diablo III a few times while at PAX, and thought I would share my impressions and experience with you all.

I started out playing the Wizard, and quickly found that it has a learning curve. If a Wizard gets into a bad spot, they die a lot faster than other classes. They also have a lot more active skills, so knowing what button to press and when to press it is a lot more important. I didn't have a lot of time here, so I mostly just died a lot before my friends took over. One of them played a Monk for a while, but I'm sure you've read a lot about them already.

Later I came back and played a Barbarian, and they are much improved from the DII variety. For one, no more mana. The Fury system felt very natural, which surprised me, because I expected it to be like the Rage mechanic in WoW (which I dislike). I especially enjoy the fact that if you Cleave into a group of enemies, you get back more than enough Fury to just keep on Cleavin'. Also, the warstomp was not only effective, but fun. The +defense warcry had no cost that I could see, so no precious resources wasted on the buff. When cast, a small box with a timer appears above the action bar to let you know how long is left on the buff.

On to the gameplay. I got a full inning with the Barbarian, and it was action packed. Started with two one-handed weapons, but soon found a big axe and started using that instead. It was honestly pretty hard to tell a difference between the two styles, but both produced lots of dead things. I later on picked up a rare two-handed sword, and that was both effective and pretty. It added lightning damage, and you could see little bits of electricity hitting the enemies now and then. Very satisfying.

While playing, I pretty much ignored the main quest given to me and explored the desert. While wandering, I found three random quests. For the first one, I stumbled on a group of cultists performing some ritual. Knowing that's often a bad thing, I attacked them; one of them cowered and begged for his life. In return, he told me where to find a treasure chest. It took me until almost the end of my game session to find it, but it contained a rare dagger among other things.

I also came across an adventurer fighting near some ruins. Once I rescued him, a quest display popped up saying "1 of 5 adventurers rescued". I eventually found all 5, at which point I was prompted to find their captain nearby. After talking to him, it initiated an event that had waves of monsters rushing us. Not too difficult, and it awarded some nice exp.

Last quest I found was a collapsing cave. I clicked on the portal in and found myself on the floor of the cave with 4 minutes until the roof collapsed. There were chests all over the place; I would estimate there were over 20 of them in there. Lots of rares. The marketing guy that we were talking to said that if we didn't get out in time, we would lose all loot gained inside. I managed to find that above-mentioned rare two-handed sword in here, and used it to kill the few enemies that were inside. I never managed to find the exit, though. When the roof collapsed, it killed me and I resurrected at the portal in. I still had the sword I found, so perhaps you get to keep everything after all? Either way, it was a lot of fun. Kept me on my toes and definitely added to the excitement.

On top of all that, I watched a buddy play the Witch Doctor for a session, and he fell in love. He was casting zombie dogs and spiders all over the place, and then throwing firebombs into the mess. I swear he even cackled a few times. The only problems he seemed to run into were occasions that big boss-types took out all his dogs, and he had to retreat to resummon them. His mana was generally quite high, unless he was just chain-gunning the firebombs.

Last but not least, Bashiok was around and quite friendly. He provided plenty of information and didn't seem to mind the barrage of questions that were directed at him. Good man for the job.

Lemme know if you have any questions!

2. isak viking

isak viking Diabloii.Net Member

Re: My experience at PAX

why didnt someone copy the demo over to a usb - disk?
    great wall btw

3. popodomo

popodomo Diabloii.Net Member

How would you rate the difficulty so far compared to Diablo II? It definitely seems harder now from the impressions I've read.

Also, did you ask what kind of machines were running the DIII demos?

I'd also like to know your opinion on how the gear looks so far. Does the item graphic in the inventory screen correlate with how it looks in-game or does it seem to be similar to Diablo II in terms of having a general look of armor "level". I realize you didn't get to experience much time playing so if anyone who did get to play for extended periods (*cough* Flux *cough*) could provide an opinion on that it would be great!

4. AERobinson

AERobinson Diabloii.Net Member

Difficulty seemed easier, but I hear that the characters in the demo build were perhaps a little overpowered. I can only assume they did that to give people a feel for the characters without a steep learning curve, whereas in the "real" game you will have a better handle on your skills, so the difficulty will hopefully be turned up a bit.

Did not ask about the specs on the machines. Even if they told us, it would likely be of little use to us, as Blizzard typically doesn't do performance tuning until very late in development.

As far as appearance of gear in the inventory vs on-character, I'm afraid I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. The icons for items in your inventory seemed pretty generic overall, and did not have a high level of detail. I do recall having a hard time picking out an axe to dual-wield, because there were three of them in my inventory that all looked identical.

5. SSH83

SSH83 Diabloii.Net Member

sounds like a lot of fun!

also, it's not good to rate game difficulty by demo in shows/conventions. The difficulty is usually tuned down so people can just pick up and play.

Edit: though to answer the concern. They took out our ability to town portal to safety at any time, but they also reduced amount of instant-death scenarios so that we wouldn't need to TP-out if we were just good.

6. sbrown

sbrown Diabloii.Net Member

i wish i could have gone but i have college so oh well college more important to me now so ill just wait untill they release this game in 2011 or 2012 :thumbup:

7. Srikandi

Srikandi Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the report :) Sounds like the game is chock-full of quests, quite different from D2 (and fine by me, I love quests). That collapsing cave sounds clever, not sure I've ever heard of that one before, and there aren't many new quest premises in RPGs!

8. raveharu

raveharu Diabloii.Net Member

Hmm it seems it's all positive feedback from those who attended the events and played the demo :thumbup:

I think Blizzard is trying to integrate every possible (and maybe impossible?) idea into Diablo 3.

Not that I'm surprised, they are known for revolutionising the gaming industry...

9. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Did anyone check out the stats of the characters?

10. sunkenfaith

sunkenfaith Diabloii.Net Member

wow, that seems so exciting. I wish i was there.

11. felong

felong Diabloii.Net Member

How did you find the overall fun factor of the game?