Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My ethics class

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Sep 13, 2006.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 Diabloii.Net Member

My ethics class

I have to say, the first 2 weeks of this class have been torture. I am the oldest person in there except for the prof. Today was interesting. Of course ethics is tied in with philosophy and at times I do like to examine myself.

Today we were discussing attitudes and I thought I would share some things I pondered about.

Quite often I have a pissy attitude. My life is certainly not where I would like it to be. I am almost 40, single mom of 2 kids, living with her parents and going far in debt with school. I have a very limited support system in place for me. Hence, I am pissy and mad at the whole world.

What we discussed in class today changed my thinking a bit. We had to write down what we thought we were. I wrote down Mom, student, worker bee..etc. How wrong that was. I am a blob of cells. I am also a free creative engergy. I cannot control events, but I can control how I respond to them. I can choose to be negative or positive. That is the glory of being free creative engery. One becomes what they think. I am not defined by my appearance, my education or my bank account. I am defined by my attitude towards myself, my kids and my peers.

This was such an enlightening lecture that I had to share. My prof left us with this quote:

"The power of the freedom within you is greater than any problem you would ever face".

I think I am going to like this class.

2. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

"Unless that problem is the government, and your freedom is theirs to dispose of as they wish, in which case you're just ****ed."

:grin:

3. zodiac66

Just bust my bubble will you :grin: .

Funny thing, when I was in group therapy..this was never broached on. One lecture did more for me than my boobie farm experience. Things became clear today...and it cost much less than any counselling.

I will always feel anxiety..and I am going to the school counselling service for that. But as far as my opinion of myself..that 50 mins. did more for me than anything.

4. Merick

Merick Diabloii.Net Member

I thought you were being sarcastic at first.

5. zodiac66

Oh no..I am always looking for ways to better myself. What made you think that?

6. bg1256

bg1256 Diabloii.Net Member

Two cheesy quotes from some preachers I heard once:
    "Your respnonse determines your future." It kinda gets at being defined by how you respond to actions beyond your control.

"Nothing will dominate your life taht does not happen daily." Reminds me of "one becomes what they think."

I know my quotes are kidna cheesy, a little cliche, and slightly exaggerated, but that's what your post reminded me of.

Have fun in ethics, and keep me posted on more thought-provoking stuff! :thumbsup:

7. zodiac66

Will do. I am always happy to share thought provoking experiences.

8. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I think that's naive.

It's always about the government with you, isn't it?

9. zodiac66

Why is that?

10. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Diabloii.Net Member

I took an ethics class last semester. Overall, I loved it. My prof on the other hand... let's just say never take ethics from a franciscan friar. You'd think someone teaching ethics could understand that being naked in public or being a prostitute is not automatically immoral. That guy had to give a Catholic tint to everything.

Now, on to your post. I think that is too oversimplified. We can't always control our reactions to events. We can't always control our attitudes. We are more than just conscious free thinking. We have a subconscious and we have emotions, both of which are often beyond our control. That's why people fall in love with those they know they shouldn't, or wake up in a bad mood and have no idea why.

Aside from that, we are more than what we think of ourselves. Our self view is based on the views of others. It is impossible to separate the two. If you think of yourself as smart, good, or tall you are assessing yourself in comparison with others. By a similar token, the very way in which we think has been shaped from birth by the people around us. Even our language effects our thoughts.

I'm not saying I don't agree with parts of your post, but I do think I'm with Dondrei on this one.

11. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I just don't think it's true. There are lots of problems you can face that will just completely **** you up. Admittedly, most people who live in the Western world who are at least middle class are unlikely ever to face them.

12. UserMathias

UserMathias Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like you've finally accepted your situation in life. Congratulations. As strongly as I disagree with your prior materialism and your current... belief, I wish you luck in finding something better to concern yourself with.

Let this mark the beginning of a new zodi, with all her positive energy and good attitudes... well, you have yourself a good one. :flowers:

13. 5Ws

5Ws Banned

New attitude is great and all, but I really don't think "the power of the freedom" is gonna do anything to feed yourself and your family.
    The reality is, this world is materialistic. Make lots of money, be happy. If you don't have money, you won't be happy, period.

14. raffster

raffster Diabloii.Net Member

That's very profound, zodiac66. I'm going to add that in my notebook of quotable quotes. I am facing circumstances in my life that seem bigger than all the mountains I've ever climbed. Such powerful words truly empower the soul in overcoming such challenges.

I hope you really enjoy and benefit from the rest of the course.

15. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I always believed in simplification myself...kind of the whole "to see the world in a grain of sand" deal. I think that we make things very complicated and they just don't need to be. It's humbling and it makes your stress melt away.

16. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane Diabloii.Net Site Pal

They are the ones holding the reins, yes?

17. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, that actually does sound like a cool class (not kidding), only class in high school available to me that might be a hint like it is psychology. (going to take senior year).

18. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

BF Skinner, eh?

19. Savage

Savage Diabloii.Net Member

Unless you study physics and come to realise that A) either the position and momentum of every particle is pre-determined and predictable for any time in the future or B) the position and momentum of every particle is entirely indeterminate and completely unpredictable.

That debate aside, I took an ethics class earlier this year and almost half of my tutorial class were "mature age". It was excellent. The level of debate was several notches above what I was used to, and the atmosphere of the room was more mature and more intellectual and just generally more stimulating and enjoyable.

Not sure where I intended to go with this, other than to say that ethics is a great topic and was the base for some of the best discussions I've ever had with people much older than me.

/train wreck

20. Star Dust

Star Dust Diabloii.Net Member

A good philosophy class can change your life.

Side note: ethics is a branch of philosophy.