Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My DiabloClone encounter

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by IgorekSF, Mar 14, 2004.

1. IgorekSF

IgorekSF IncGamers Member

My DiabloClone encounter

Hello all,

Yes - one of these DC stories everyone so likes (or hates) to hear.

I've been playing D2 1.09 for about a year, then quit for more than a year, and resumed playing about last December. I started on the ladder, and eventually built up reasonably strong characters - not the elite ones, but pretty good. My lvl 80 Orb/Meteor (in that order) Sorc is my main MF character; the previous one was lvl 85 Orb/FW, 1.09 style sorc. I've got several nice items, though not the best in the game... but one thing I never had was The Annihilus, one of the most overpowered items in this game. I've heard lots of stories about people getting several World Events in a week, but I've never gotten any, even though the counter did run like crazy several times. Well, today it has started again, from 3830 up. I waited until about 3880, and then left the game while doing something else on my comp, switching to D2 from time to time. 3890, 3990....3920....and the next time I looked, at 3931, HE WAS THERE!

But that was only the first part of it; the hardest was yet to come. I've heard LOTS of stories -- on this forum and otherwise -- about how he's next to impossible to beat by any Sorc, sans pure cold, Blizzard one. I've done several calculations, comparing him to Diablo and Meph by their HP and resisitances, with optimistic results. He came up to be only about 10 times harder to kill than Diablo, for example, forgetting his regeneration. It turned out that this thing CANNOT be forgotten, and same is true for his damage.

My sorc has Occulus, Shako, 30 Vipermagi, Lidless (switched to 2pd Mosers for the occasion), ChanceGuards, rare boots, magic belt (+91 life, 20 lr), perfect dex raven, res/mana ring, and +2 cold, +res amulet, as well as several charms giving about 80 to life, 9 to all res, 30 to mana. Pretty average setup -- not HoTo, not Tal's set, not even Storm. She has maxed Orb, Meteor and FB with some points in corresponding masteries. She prefers cold to fire, so she only uses Meteor/FB for cold uniques. And she has no problem in hell whatsoever, being able to do Meph runs in several mins. So, I though, DC shouldn't be THAT hard...

...I was wrong. Orb didn't seem to do any damage to him (maxed orb, with +9 skills!) I've heard people saying they got his health to half using static and that was it, but I couldn't even do that -- I couldn't stand near him long enough to even discharge static more than five times. In all 10 mins I was desperately trying different things with my sorc, his health never got below, say, 95% of the original. I, however, was dying very quickly, and so was my merc. My worst fears were coming true. There seemed to be no hope.

My resists were maxed at 75% but I was still dying quickly. I decided to borrow Guardian Angel from my Paladin, the only other character that got to hell. But while switching characters, a different thought came to me -- why not try the paladin himself??

He is level 65 Zealot (maxed Fanaticism, about 10 points each in Zeal and Sacrifice and Holy Shield) with decent but, again, not elite equipment - Lightsabre, rare shield, twitchtroe (yes, twitchtroe - nothing better) switched to GA for the occasion, crown of thieves, laying of hands (these, with huge bonus to dmg to demons, seemed to help a lot in this battle), verdungo's, gore riders, raven frost, res ring, and saracen chance. His equipment is even worse than than of my sorc; moreover, he's 15 levels lower, and haven't gotten past Act 1 Hell yet.

But when I got him to the battle, DC'S LIFE was DECLINING!!! It was going down slowly but steadily; the only thing I needed was to supply my pally with rejuv potions from time to time - and that with 90% res to fire and 95% effective to lightining, and 75% blocking! But he was doing this - and he would finish DC without being killed if only he had enough rejuvs. When the last one finished, DC was at about 10% life. Luckily, he had more in the stash, and in just 10 minutes it was all over. My first annihulus charm - for the sorc, of course.

Now came the rewarding part. What stats will it have? Of course, even 10/10/5 Anni will be a HUGE bonus for her, given how much power that thing has. I value the stat points about twice as much as res, and these more than experience (a quick calculation shows why). But what will I get?

Well, I IDed it, hands trembling. And when I saw it, I - literally - jumped from my seat.

TWENTY to stats
    14 to res
    TEN to exp!!!!

MAX in two out of three categories, and almost average in the third. 20 stat points mean, with good planning, an effective 120 life and 40 mana - a huge thing. Max experience bonus is also a very, very nice thing. And the resists - well, you know it.

In retrospect, one can but wonder how a suposedly weaker Pally could do the job than a superior Sorc couldn't. Hopefully I'll get more of these when I do build that Blizz sorc :)

Thanks for reading this, and I wish you all to get these, and even better, Annis :)

2. IgorekSF

...But what's more interesting, he came again.

In 10 minutes after the previous one, in a new game.

He dropped 20/20/5.

I'm at lost for why this happens. I've played for two months and never seen DC once. Now he came twice in an hour period. Not only that, but both charms had 20 to all stats, and one other perfect stat.

3. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Congratulation on your charm. Or should I say charms? :lol:

Although the clone spawned in a game I was playing in, they were public games, ppl of course always managed to snatch the charm away...

-Backdoor Bandit

4. chubbypuppy

chubbypuppy IncGamers Member

Congrats!

Congrats on your lucky night. I've prepped my characters waiting for him, but he avoids me :)

I *believe* the reason why your zealot did better than the sorc is because:

1) Your sorc was not cold focused. Diablo has 95% cold resistance, so your orbs was just chipping away at him without being able to overcome his resistance. Of course, fire even with firemastery is only doing 5% damage.

That's one reason why I remade my meteORB, so now I have max CM. I believe this will help, but I've not tried it yet. With my standard METEOrb, I got him down to 1/3, then he regened it all back >< I want a rematch!

2) Your zealot had max resist, so you can just stand there and apply constant pressure. Prepare a dwarf star in the stash and it will help even more.

3) Your zealot had crushing blow, which is huge since it scales with his hit points, while orb is a set damage.

Again, congrats :)

5. IgorekSF

Hey,

I agree with 2) and 3). Crushing blow on Gore's wasn't huge; I should have remembered to use Orphan's Helm too. But poison charm (and, to some extent at least, OW on Gore's) disabled his regeneration.

But for 1), I don't think even maxed CM will help. My CM had -95 (prior to getting Anni :)), so DC had 0% res. Had I maxed it, he'd have -100% res, which would only double the damage, which wouldn't help since I never managed to even as much as scratch him. So if you want a cold sorc for killing DC, go with Blizzard, which is much stonger than Orb when fully synergized.

6. Master-mind

Master-mind IncGamers Member

I need to know..

Where, when and why does the DC appear? :scratch:

That's all folks! :howdy: