My daughter is a hippy

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
My daughter is a hippy

My daughter has gone through many changes in her musical tastes. At first, she loved African music..then music akin to Art of Noise. Now, she is loving music from the late 60's early 70's.

Currently, she is hooked on Hair. I wish I could provide video. She sure is a flower child.

Anywho...I have pop music from that era, but not anything like "Age of Aquarius"..that seems to be her favorite song now. That and "Feels so Good", she is a Chuck Mangione fan.

Any advice?

Technetium

Diabloii.Net Member
Dark Side of the Moon!!!!!

Also, I recommend encouraging her, when she seems to change what kind of music she likes, not to give up on the music she was into before. Music is a wonderful thing, and too many people end up closeminded about genres and such.

MrNuby

Diabloii.Net Member
Technetium said:
Dark Side of the Moon!!!!!

Also, I recommend encouraging her, when she seems to change what kind of music she likes, not to give up on the music she was into before. Music is a wonderful thing, and too many people end up closeminded about genres and such.
Recommending Pink Floyd? Dark Side of the Moon must be one of the best records of all time.

What's wrong with being a hippie?

Agree with technetium. Music is indeed a wonderful thing, perhaps the only thing that gives me any hope for the future of humanity. Granted todays music isn't exactly any masterpieces :)

How old is the girl btw?:)

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
She is 2.5 years. There is nothing wrong with being a hippy, but I grew up in the "punk" revolution. Thats what I have and what I listen to. I am certainly not adverse to listening or buying other music if the kiddies like it.

Sgt Peppers...that is some good music but I don't have any of the Beatles on my computer. Perhaps I should purchase some. I am more of a White Album gal myself :).

I would never discourage either of my children from listening to music unless it is gangster rap. I will not allow that in my home.

If anyone could suggest a good compilation of "hippy" music on CD..post away.

Actually, I am really into Age of Aquarius right now.

Good god, the goth/punk chick is now dancing to Hair.

MrNuby

Diabloii.Net Member
Why won't you allow ganstah rap?

EDIT: If she ever wanna listen to rap I recommend Dead Prez.

DemBonez

Diabloii.Net Member
Funk artists of that time might be a good blend of Afro beats and Classic rock. Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone, and James Brown are the big names of that time I can think of. Either that or some Fela Kuti.

edit: Sorry, I'm not really versed in hippy music. Good luck on the musical journey.

Ron Burgundy

Diabloii.Net Member
I am appauled that you are depriving your children of such musical talents as Tupac, Biggie, and Old Dirty Bastard. Not only are these songs educational, but they pose to children then tough questions regarding the real issues that they face in their day-to-day lives, such as, "Does heaven got a ghetto?" and "Who the hell shot me five times?"

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
DemBonez said:
Funk artists of that time might be a good blend of Afro beats and Classic rock. Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone, and James Brown are the big names of that time I can think of. Either that or some Fela Kuti.

We do have some James Brown, but she seems to enjoy more of the "flower child" music right now. I am not familiar with the others you mentioned.

I am a huge fan of exposing kids to all types of music. When we listen to music..we don't just listen..we feel it. Heck, I make both kiddies get up and dance. Sometimes one kiddie is not happy to do it, but eventually, they both are dancing away.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Ron Burgundy said:
I am appauled that you are depriving your children of such musical talents as Tupac, Biggie, and Old Dirty Bastard. Not only are these songs educational, but they pose to children then tough questions regarding the real issues that they face in their day-to-day lives, such as, "Does heaven got a ghetto?" and "Who the hell shot me five times?"

Sorry, but I just can't do that. I have some rap..older Run DMC...Fresh Prince..Young MC (Bust a Move, I believe thats the song). Stuff I remember from my youth.

I won't allow my kids to hear of shooting a cop...banging a ho..etc.

I would prefer the music of yesteryear.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Garbad_the_Weak said:
If she is a dancer get some old elvis. Kids love to dance to the king.

Garbad

Elvis...yeah, she would like him. Thats one I didn't think of.

Thanky :)

Syxx

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Zodiac66

Try some real hippy / old time music :D

Credance Clearwater Revival : Have you ever seen the rain : Down on the corner

Mamas and the Papas : California Dreaming

The Kinks : Lola : You really got me

Smokey Robinson : Tracks of my Tears

Rolling Stones : Get Off My Cloud : Paint it Black

Otis Redding : When a Man Loves a Woman : Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Jimi Hendrix : Hey Joe : All along the Watchtower

Joe Cocker : With a little help from my freinds : The Letter

The Animals : House of the Rising Sun : We gotta get out of this place

Aretha Franklin Respect

Good listening ...

Regards
Syxx

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
MrNuby said:
So I assume you're gonna homeschool her 'till she's old enough for collage?=)
Of couse :).

Thanks Syxx..we have some of those. She does love CCR as well as Otis. Mamas and the Papas..they did something else I am thinking of. I will look into them. And Aretha..well, she has one heck of a voice. I will have to get some of her tunes. I have quite a few Chaka Kahn (sp?) tunes and she seems to be similair.

I appreciate all of your help everyone. So many songs have been mentioned that I really forgot about. I am certainly taking note of each one.

I do think I need to buy The White Album..it scares me to this day. Of course, it will be for my listening pleasure..number 9...sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it.

I am also looking along the lines of Girl from Ipenema...the mellow sounds of yesteryear. Not only vocals..but instumentals. Chuck Mangione is a favorite. She also loves Tom Jones (no idea about that one).

Puck Nutty

Diabloii.Net Member
zodiac66 said:
My daughter has gone through many changes in her musical tastes. At first, she loved African music..then music akin to Art of Noise. Now, she is loving music from the late 60's early 70's.

Currently, she is hooked on Hair. I wish I could provide video. She sure is a flower child.

Anywho...I have pop music from that era, but not anything like "Age of Aquarius"..that seems to be her favorite song now. That and "Feels so Good", she is a Chuck Mangione fan.

Any advice?
Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane or Janis Joplin.