Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My "court" resume

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LunarSolaris, Apr 8, 2004.

1. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

My "court" resume

Hmmmmmm, so it would seem that my regular resume isn't good enough, so now I'm finding out that I have to develop my "court" resume.

Basically, this is a document to show my education, specific trainings I have had, and other professional endeavors so that I can qualify as an "expert" witness when testifying in court. So bascially, it would mean that a typical testimony might go like this:

Attourney: Mr. Lunar, please tell us, in your expert opinion, the quality of this person to parent their child.

Lunar: In my expert opinion, this person is an ***-hat, and should not have their child anymore.

So there you have it... I'm looking at my resume and I'm thinking to myself. "Damn, this is actually fairly impressive".

*This has been Lunar's positive self-esteem message of the day*

2. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

expert witness eh? Thats cool, Id like to do some of that when I get all the proper credentials. Is this resume something like a vitae? Something to that effect? From what Ive read here, you seem to have many professional accomplishments, good luck to you sir.

3. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

ok.............

4. LunarSolaris

FWB, yes... it's very similar to a vitae with the only difference being that this document is used to qualify someone as an expert witness for testimony purposes. For example, if a psychologist were to testify in a trial that he is an expert on "battered spouse syndrome", then he would need to demonstrate his credentials and specific training that would qualify him as an expert in the field.

I learned today that this process is the main difference that differentiates a "fact" witness from an "expert" witness. The difference between the two, is that a fact witness can only state things they saw or heard, whereas an expert witness can elaborate on it and make conjecture based on professional expertise.

All I can say is that with 2 days left of my training process with Washington State, my head is majorly spinning. I have had more information crammed into my head in the last 8 weeks than I care to mention. On Monday, the perverbial rubber hits the road when I start getting my first actual referrals and start my own investigations. To be honest, I'm pretty nervous about it, but also excited as well. I never imagined how much information there was to learn about all of this.

5. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

Sounds exciting, but then the research and conjecture aspects of the social sciences are my area of interest. But this gives it a pragmatic spin that I think I would enjoy. Keep me posted on how it goes. What is the case about? and what is your area of specialty?

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

What did they teach you about the ethics of being a paid expert? Is there some sort of specific public record that shows for whom you've testified for or against?

7. LunarSolaris

Well, right now I'm still in training mode... so this is just to train us as social workers how to defend our credentials on the stand against a defense attourney whom might be trying to discredit us. As to my area of expertise, it will be in the field of child welfare. My testimony will likely be regarding parental care and my opinions on parental competence based on assessment of the case, the children, and risk involved. I'm sure that there will be more threads as I am exposed to other aspects to childrens protection.

8. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Dang, Lunar. Sounds kinda subjective. I reckon that makes it doubly tough; with experience comes wisdom. Wish that applied here.

See, this is why you stay in school! No scary people.

Lunar, I believe you will make a difference. And the fact that you will make a difference in the greatest state in the Union just adds to the rockitutde of Washington. I am totally impressed with what you do; it's difficult, yet you manage somehow.

Mad props to Lunar :winner:

9. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

I see how it works. You boost yourself up with this post, and simultaneously take us all down with your Depressing Nuggets of the Day to help widen the esteem gap between you and us regular folk. I'm on to you! :cheesy:

Are you training with actual lawyers and stuff in a courtroom setting to make it as real as possible? Are you tempted to yell out 'You want the truth? You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!!' during the training sessions? ;)

Congrats on the neato experience. :)

-Rafty

10. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

*makes note to stop commiting crimes until lunar moves out of washington*

11. LunarSolaris

Damn... they're onto me! To the batcave! *cough* dunno why I just said that...

Tydon... provided you don't commit any crimes against children in Yakima county, then you are completely safe with me.. :D

Smeg (errr, I mean Freemason), We didn't cover ethics specific to being an expert witness, but I have gone over ethics quite extensively... which apply as a whole to what I do and would include testimony in court. To my knowlege, the records are public as I will generally be testifying in open court.

Mac - thanks man! It's great to live in the greatest state in the union :teeth: ... even if it is at the "Palmsprings of Washington" *laughs butt off* (inside joke folks... Yakima really does have a sign touting it as "The Palm Springs of Washington"... known as the biggest joke East of the Cascade mountain range).

And actually... luckily my butt will be covered by the Assistant Attourney General's (who represent the state) in the courts for these types of cases, so luckily I won't have to be an expert in the law (and DANG, there are a LOT of laws!). The attourney's will cover all legal materials, but it will be my responsibility to document cases, properly assess families to give my expert opinions and recommendations, as well as to prepare court documents (i.e. dependency petitions for children we are recommending be removed from the parents, etc.). There is a truckload of stuff to be remembered. Luckily they all tell me that it takes at least a year to become fully competent at this job.

I'm finally moving upward in my career, and that is never a bad thing. And like you said Mac, I feel like I'll be able to make an "actual" difference for the first time in my career, so I'm also very much looking forward to that.

Yayyyyy! 2 more days and I graduate from academy... *bummer that I have to leave Seattle though and go back to Yuckima (I mean Yakima)* ;)

12. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Yay! Ill be safe to commit crimes at home and at college in Spokane!