Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My computer got stolen

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by djIgneo, Jun 1, 2005.

1. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

My computer got stolen

I recently decided to move out of the house I was staying in with 2 roommates, an older man who owns the house (he's 43 years old) and a 23 year old girl. I found myself an apartment about 15 minutes away and closer to my job. Ok.

My plans were to move out on Monday (Memorial Day) morning and then head over to the g/f's place for a Memorial Day cookout.

Sunday I attended a wedding for the majority of the day, and when I got home at 10:30 or so, I came home to find my computer gone--stolen. A brief look around the house showed the dining room door forced open, plaster was on the ground. (The door had been screwed into the frame at an angle, since the door was not in use. No one was home. The girl was out all weekend with her boyfriend, and the older guy must have been out drinking.

This is where it gets weird: Only my computer and my roommate's computer was taken. Mine was hooked-up and in use, his wasn't. Both computers had the cpu, monitor, printer, keyboard, and mouse taken. His was an old pentium 2 and mine was a semi-new (2.5 year old?) athalon 2700+. Why the printer, keyboard, and mouse? Why the old computer? Directly next to my computer desk was my Rane Empath dj mixing board ($800), my Technics 1200 Mk2 turntable ($400), my guitar and amp, and an approx $900 collection of Vinyl. On my computer desk was my midi controller keyboard. My direct box for my sound card was disconnected and left. Right next to my computer was my roommate's TV, VCR, and DVD player. None were taken. Only my computer. Looking at the door, the deadbolt must not have been engaged when it was forced. The day before I was planning on moving. It seems like too many coincidences to me.

Is it just me, or does it sound like someone I know did this?

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I admit it does seem odd.

Have you filed a police report?

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Colonel Mustard, in the library, with the candlestick!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

At any rate, have you contacted the police and filed a report? Sounds like something they should look into...

4. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Yes. I have filed a police report. I did that the following morning before I moved out. The police suspect my roommate (the 43 year old guy) did it, because he's had bad relations with the police. To be honest I sort of suspect him also, but I have no concrete evidence or a logical motive and I don't wish to jump to conclusions and definitely ruin a relationship for improper judgement on my part. The neighbors apparently said the only person they saw come and go was him.

I had to drop by the place yesterday to get the rest of my stuff (save my bed, which I'll get tonight), and he was reclusive in his room, not wanting to talk to me, which is semi-normal for him I suppose. While shopping earlier I found 4 bowls which are semi-rare that he was looking for at a thrift store and picked them up, so I gave them to him.

I took a look at the door which had been kicked in before, and now the screw was removed (because it didn't fit anymore), but this time the deadbolt was engaged. When I left he thanked me for the bowls and said something to the effect of "we part on a good note" and we shook hands then I left.

Edit: I asked him while I was there if he had contacted the police at all, since it is his house, and I'd think he'd be concerned. He said that no, since I saw the door had been kicked in and contacted them he saw no need for him to talk to them also.

5. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

And his homeowners insurance won't cover the loss correct?

A bad deal all the way around.

6. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

they are in his room. Go get 'em! :spy:

7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

If you have talked to the police and reported what was stolen, what does it matter that he talks to them? They have all the info.

It sucks your computer got taken, I have a cable lock that chains all my computer(including the iMac) to the desk. That way they have to work a bit to get it. Plus the alarms on those cables is really really loud.

Programs like this can help even on desktops. Of course this only helps if they don't wipe the drive. Personally I am waiting until a hardware vendor makes it built into the mobo or some such. Until then I am content with doing a hardware lock(the mobo and harddrive won't start up fully until a password is given) and encrypting my data.

8. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Well, I doubt a BIOS password would have changed anything in this case.

I just thought it a strange coincidence that nothing else of value (including items of more value) was taken and that this happened on the day before I move out.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It would keep them from getting any info on your computer. Unless they take the drive out and put it in a new computer, in which case I give yet another point to OS X for disallowing the drive to even spin up without the password.

You also have to remember, things are only worth what they can sell them for. If the thief doesn't know a way to get rid of sound equipment, he won't steal it unless he has a lot of connections. A computer can always be sold quickly.

10. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

It seems like whoever stole it intended to use it, thus the keyboard, mouse, and printer, all of which are useful, yet not valuable.

I'm irritated because I had music I was collecting (I rip all my cds to my computer) and music I was recording/writing, which now is lost.

There were plenty of other things that were easy to grab and common commodity items. I mentioned the TV, VCR, and DVD player. There were also 8 12" speakers in the room mentioned, many of my roommate's tools lying around. There were plenty of other things to grab. Why grab a printer when you could grab a DVD player?

11. Madness

Madness IncGamers Member

Well, if it is someone you know. And they are planning on using the computer, who knows, you might get it back.

12. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

It's probably worth a look.

13. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

IMO is definetely someone you know or even the guy who owns the place. but thats just my opinion. btw do you know him or you just moved to him without meeting him before that?

14. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

His room is locked with a regular front door lock, i.e. you have to have a key to enter. It's usually locked when he's in there and it's locked whenever he leaves (even to go downstairs for a drink). Trust me, I tried to check his room when I noticed it was gone. He really can't bring himself to trust anyone. I remember a time when he told me he loved me like his son, but his fear of getting close to people causes him to distrust everyone, including me.

To give you a bit of background, he drinks about 12-20 bottles of budweiser select every night. When he goes out, he drinks more. He's extremely homophobic, to the point of thinking I'm gay because my two best friends are guys. (I thought that was normal) Basically it seems to me like he lets his imagination run wild on him. He comes up with wacked-out ideas that he believes because alcohol gives him a sense of infinite wisdom.

Right now my plan is to talk to my other roommate, the girl on the phone later. Her and I are pretty close, and she knows the guy about as well as I do, as we have all lived together. If he is guilty I'm hoping he'll run his mouth sooner or later. Either way he'll give away clues to whether or not he's guilty so that's the only plan I can come up with, other than just giving up on ever getting my computer back.

And yes, I know it's a good thing I decided to move.

Edit:
    How I moved in with him. I was recovering from another roommate who used me (someone who feigned being my best friend to take advantage of me) and the guy who owns the house offered me a place to stay, because he knows I'm responsible and intelligent. I had met him before, djing some parties for him. We developed a friendship, although looking back it seems like he has problems with real friendship. He's ok with aquaintances but not with genuine friendships where you can trust each other. Anyways, the deal he gave me was good, and the environment supported my music (he has loud speakers and lives out in the sticks and he likes my music). After the girl moved in, he became more and more anal about petty things, and started not liking my music, and pulled away from me, until things just started getting unbearable, so I decided to move.

15. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

does he have a problem with money? i mean is he poor?

16. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

He says he lives from paycheck to paycheck, although he seems to have money enough to get things that he wants. He is good friends with a millionare, who he works for, making an outrageous amount of money per hour. I wouldn't say he's rich, but I wouldn't say he's really struggling. He likes to play mind games with people, and the "is he rich?" question is another way of not letting people know things about him.

He is all about profit. He got irritated one day when I bought 30 cans of beer. Since I don't drink a ton of beer, I put about 6 cans in the refrigerator and left the rest of the pack outside, as to not clutter the fridge space. He saw this and insisted on putting them all into the refridgerator, because since the cans were still cold from the cooler at the store, I'd be wasting energy to cool the cans down after letting them get warm.

He was irritated about me leaving my computer running all the time. I had problems with my video card and sometimes when the computer was booting up it wouldn't change resolution correctly (nvidia geforce fx) and I'd have to keep trying until it finally worked. I'd rather just leave it on. I turn the monitor off to conserve as much energy as possible. He constantly turned it off if I was away from it, even after I asked him not to and explained my scenario.

He got irritated about my friends using paper plates and toilet paper because he'd have to spend more money getting more. Instead of simply asking me to buy extra or something similar he got upset about it.

17. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

So visited him would be kinda "out of place" maybe? Not sure how good of friends ya'll are but....if its possible I guess try and visit. But when I use to steal...I would always place items away in "safe spots"..be underground, deep in a woods somewhere..or in someone elses garage..anywhere but the obvious. So wait a few weeks.
    But what I'm getting to is...if you can find some sort of styrofoam, or rubber element...you could place them inside the actual door lock when you walk in. What happens is it wont allow the door to completely lock..it needs to be like 1/2 to 5/8 on an inch thick, cant remember really..just try you own door for measurments.
    And then when he leave for his regualr nights..visit and just kinda pull the door, opposite locked and poof the door opens. Now take out the material and get rid of it..and lookie what we got here...we got a open door, obviously left open by your friend. :uhhuh: "Hello..heeello are you here...your door is opened, are you alright?" ...walk in and do a quick scan and leave.

The only problem is you alrdy contacted police..so this will prob wont work now, becasue you "suspect" him now...but man I've done this many times..even to the back of a grocery store..lol, and of course my Jr. High School...it was a blast to run thru the halls late at night!!
    Tho taken my advice will prob screw you over..so do it unless you feel that getting caught wont end up in death by your friend, or sever penalties. Actually..forget everything I just said maybe..use the law reckon.....but this does work.;)

18. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Well, I could certainly visit the girl, as her and I are pretty good friends. Perhaps when he's not around, no?

He doesn't know much about computers at all, so him keeping it for his own use seems rather silly, unless he had a computer whiz friend of his set it up for him or something. I did have an account created for him so he could use the internet, word, etc., but I don't think he used it all that much. Plus he had his own. The only motive I could come up with so far is a final "screw you" for whatever reason he had justified in his own mind.

Well I'm heading home for the night. I'll check this tomorrow when I come back to work. Thanks for the input so far.

19. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Check Ebay. Local pawn shops, too.

20. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

IT (get it?) doesn't make sense that he'd damage his own house to steal a computer.