Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My CL/FO sorc dies really really easily

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Bengalfang, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Bengalfang

Bengalfang IncGamers Member

My CL/FO sorc dies really really easily

She's lvl 75 and in hell and when she gets hit she dies pretty fast. I have frosted armor (or whatever the first armor is). Should I use 2 skill pts and upgrade to the other one (chilling maybe?) I have 50 stat pts to spare, but I don't have max block yet (waiting to get right gear). I am wearing Skullder's Ire, some +2 skills Tiara, Aldurs Advance, Nightsmoke, Frosties, visceraunt, Eschutas.

Thanks for any help

2. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

How high is your life?
    How high is you FCR?
    How high are your resists?
    What shield after Visceratuant will you be using?

Please FORGET about investing more into any of the armors, will not change you dieing.

With the answers to the above questions we can certainly help you.
    I bet your life is low, your resists are low and your FCR is low too, right? ;)

3. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

You may have to scale down MF equipment a bit until you level more too. At lvl75 your skills aren't high enough without tons of plus skills. CL/FO is a late bloomer for Hell unfortunately. Level 85 will see a huge improvement over how you are now.

Don't invest in those cold armors. 1 point is plenty. Use the rest to maximize your killing skills and their synergies.

4. melianor

If the Dex-requirement for max-blocking on your final shield is higher than with what you would need for Visceratuant, thatn put some points in dex to get higher blocking chance. reaching the maximum is vry important or the effectiveness of blocking is not what you want.
    All other points dump into Vitality. Besides Blocking beiing good you will still need some life and more of it!

Your Lightning resistance in hell should be maxed out and your other resists would be better not remaining under zero. Good amount of life and max-blocking with your current shield.

note on Visceratuant: I think it is a very nice blocking shield, but only if you play ladder, since there you can upgrade it from defender to heater with a cube recipe and then it will have 72% chance to block, meanming you will require less dex to reach max-blocking. The str req qill be higher then (77 str) but since you can wear Skullder's i dont think that will be a problem.

5. ventilator

ventilator IncGamers Member

Well, I think the emphasis here would be on "when she get's hit". Of course she'll die pretty fast then, as all other characters do on Hell difficulty. Do you use a merc? Do you constantly use teleport to get yourself in the best possible position? Do you fall back when you need to? Apart from the gear and skills which m0nk and Melianor covered a change in playing style might be all that's needed :)

6. Bengalfang

Thanks for the tips here are some stats for my sorc.

Vit 121 Life 472
    Energy 59
    Dex 150 (not at Max block but I dont want to put too many pts and then switch to a better blocking shield)
    St 97
    And I have like 55 to spend.

Also have like 50 FCR, also just found a Wizspike.
    My resists are pretty low.

I think my style is fine because my other Meteor Sorc never died this easily. Also I do have a Defiance merc lvl 74. Like if one of those goats in the blackmarsh hits me, half my life is gone. I don't see how I will reach max block and put enough pts into vit. Also my mana runs out fast!

Thanks for the help.

7. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

You need 300 more life - this is your main problem. Each point in VIT gives 2 life
    And at least 50% to Lightning, fire and cold resists - this is the second problem
    40 more energy - CL drains a lot and needs a high base mana pool. Each point in ENE gives 2 mana
    20% more FCR - this will help when casting anything, especially teleporting

If you are ladder, upgrade the Visceratuant to bring you closer to 75% block and socket it with an Um rune. Find or trade for some FCR rings. Find or trade for a +skills and resists amulet or get Tals or Mara's amulet. Start filling your inventory with resists and +life charms. A shako would also be good, but it's expensive.

Unless you need the Visceratuant's stats, use Whistans for max block and throw an Um in it.

8. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Easier said than done m0nk. Judging from his/her equipment, she's likely playing untwinked or doesn't have the highest tier of items. Thus, she won't be able to trade for Mara's/Tal's or likely even Harley.

Perhaps try Mf'ing Meph in Hell with your Meteorb Sorc, that should help.

Also, are you on SP?

9. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

I didn't say it would be easy. I pointed out problem areas and gave possible solutions that included rare items and charms which are cheap to trade for and generally easy to find. Heck, you can even gamble some very nice circlets, amulets and rings. And that's for gold...and that's also how I started my first ladder character which happened to be CL/FO

Um runes are commonplace (somewhat) since they can drop from a Hellforge quest in hell. Whistans...well, I don't know about others but I have seen over a dozen of these shields drop...

10. Ulric

Ulric IncGamers Member

You need more Energy. Personally, I do not put any points into dex above what I need to use a shield. If you are blocking shots.. you are too close to the enemy. Use energy shield, teleport and stay away. In non ladder, I have a 90th level sorc, with no extra points added to vitality. I prefer getting small life charms. 20life small charm = 10 points of stats you can put anywhere. Most important thing is.. never let them get too close.

11. Bengalfang

How am I supposed to do that with 55 pts? Man this build is tough!

12. warding

warding Banned

Any build is tough without proper gear :)

1st Priority is Max Resists
    2nd Priority is Max Block

3rd Reach 63% FCR
    4th +Skills and Life

13. Bengalfang

Well I gave her Wizspike to use and she seems to be doing a lot better. Well in Act1 Hell anyway. Now a few other questions. I don't have Static Field or Energy Shield. Are those 2 important for this build? Also what is the best shield for this build. I can probably manage to trade for it, cuz my MFing Necro has found me lots of good stuff.

Thanks

14. melianor

Wizard Spike is vetry good choice until you get something better, its got tons of resists, fcr and mana. Clear that you are doing alot better with that nice dagger now ;)
    Forget about Energy Shield but 1 point in Static FIeld never hurts. You can use it to tear down the helath of bosses like Mephisto or also mobs. Although its capped at reducing health to 50% in Hell its still a very useful one-point wonder!

Shields? Hmm good shields are Whistans guard, Visceratuant, Stormshield (high str and dex req for max block but good mods also expensive.
    Whistans, Moser's Blessed Circle or Visceratuant should not be too hard to trade for.

More life would still be important. Drop some of your points there.

15. Bengalfang

I do in fact have an SS but would it be worth it for my sorc? I already have Visceraunt. And I could probably get some other stuff for my SS. Also at what point should I stop putting pts into my life?

16. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

It's tight for sure but remember that this build isn't finished until ** and it doesn't really start feeling powerful in hell until around level 82-85. So in addition to those 55 points, you will also have 65 more by level **.

Once you get over these problems, especially since you have Max block, which I do recommend, you will like it. You need to bump your life though. If you still have those 55 points, drop that immediately into VIT. That will give you 110 more life. 472 is waaay to low. You need to have 700 at the minimum.

Static field is a good 1 point investment.

And so is Energy shield once you get enough mana. If you get to 700 life with 50%+ resists and you are still dying, put a point here. Despite what some say about Energy shield, it does help even with 1 point. You do need 800 mana to use it with only 1 point in it. And you also need to keep 3 of your belt slots filled with mana pots and 1 with health pots. Between max block and energy shield, you will hardly be drinking health pots anyway. But you still need to have 700 life for those hard hits that do occasionally get through. And it takes a little adjustment to your gameplay when using it. Like with teleporting, you need to preemptively hit those mana pots when you see ranged. What this does is if they hit you and take your mana away, the potion you drank is filling your pool so you won't get stuck with no mana and unable to TP.

Personally, with your stats, I think it would be wisest to go with Whistans Gaurd. Set Ophans sheild, relatively easy to find and definately cheap to trade for.

Wizspike is good. But don't give up the search for an Occulus, etc. Plus skills are invaluable to you. Don't use the Ss. You need 156 STR for it and thats way to high for you. Plus your max block would suffer with it. It is a good shield, but not with your current stats.

Pump VIT till around 180. That will put you right around 700 life after a few more levels. Get an even 100 in ENE. I know you don't have that many points right now, but keep this in mind for when you level.

Don't forget about +life and +resists charms!!!

17. melianor

Well with Visceratuant (best would be to upgrade it to get a better base block rate upg. is 72% (str req77) opposed to 60%) you wil ahve to invest less in dex and str than for stormshield. I think you can be just as happy with Visceratuant, but thats just my personal opinion. For Sotrmshield you would be able to get Shako or even Oculus/Eschutas or other desired gear.

When you have reached max-block put ALL your remaining points in Life! Unless you need some more for str for some items.