My cat likes sounds of carnage from D2X

Jude

Diabloii.Net Member
My cat likes sounds of carnage from D2X

Anyone else notice that their cat is attracted to the Diablo II LOD sounds of carnage? Mine comes into my workroom (where I play computer games, of course, whenever I play Diablo II LOD, curls up on the spare chair, purrs, and goes to sleep, only occasionally waking up purring in the middle of a big battle to stretch and go back to sleep. Maybe she thinks I'm hunting for her dinner.

Another profound thing that I've noticed is that D2X won't work when you put the Heroes of Might & Magic III Complete CD into the drive by accident. ;)

BTW, thanks for always being so friendly and helpful, everyone.
Jude
 

Sunjeet

Diabloii.Net Member
Mine will sometimes sit in front of the monitor and watch, but it gets annoying when he tries to sit on the keyboard. It just gets worse because he likes to stand in front of the moniter and attack anything that moves with his paws. Thats where I draw the line, and move him to the side. My cat is a TV watcher. He is mesmerized by the Animal Planet (especially if there are 4-legged creatures).
 

skoolbus

Diabloii.Net Member
Sunjeet said:
Mine will sometimes sit in front of the monitor and watch, but it gets annoying when he tries to sit on the keyboard. It just gets worse because he likes to stand in front of the moniter and attack anything that moves with his paws. Thats where I draw the line, and move him to the side. My cat is a TV watcher. He is mesmerized by the Animal Planet (especially if there are 4-legged creatures).
hahaha, sorry to tell you this, but you have a retarded cat, I saw this thing on the news, saying that cats see much more rapidly than humans, so they see the pixels changing on tvs to the point where it's not interesting at all, the cats that watch it are a little slow in the head

my cat sometimes comes and wants me to pet her while I play, I think she just wants attention
 

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
we have two computers in out house, one on each side of the room, w/ a couch in the middle. In general she's (Diamond the kitty in my 'tar) either passed out in her bed, or in front of one of them. If we're both playing, she'll go between the both of us and our laps, and sometimes she'll pass out on the couch, rigth between the two. But if one of us gets up, esp from the new chair, she's usually in it as fast as she can be. Or up on the back of it... I don't think it's the game as much as where her humans are and trying to snatch the chair the chair..... I have a pict around somewhere...
back of the chair
giving goltar advice
 

AndiDi

Diabloii.Net Member
We have two cats. Whenever I am in my 'office' (where I play Diablo) one of them always comes along and is going to sleep on a spare chair. He isn't interested in the carnage sounds at all, I think he likes being where we (me & wife) are.

water_moon said:
There are similar pictures of me and one of the cats. It's like the cat's saying: I am now here, give me your attention!
 
Yea cats are awesome, my cat Frizebee was that type of cat she would come up to me and sit on my shoulders(sometimes clawing up my back)
however she died about two months ago :hanky: :drink: :hanky:
our cats are outdoor cats. But this cat knew how to get inside. I really miss her, I will try to get a pic of her so yall can see her.
 

corax

Diabloii.Net Member
Magic is highly anti-social and spends most of the day outside sleeping and then is generally found sleeping on my bed at night, youve got to be damn careful not too disturb him or you while loose a limb.
Rusty however likes to come into the computer room with me when he isnt terrorizing little lizards and crickets. seeing as we lack a second chair he likes to lay right behind my chair. so i run him over when i go backwards.
if not behind the chair he sleeps on a stack of boxes in a corner or recently his favourite spot is the plastic the monitor came in
 

frosty

Diabloii.Net Member
No cats : Darn housing rules.

I like cats though.

Heard of a HC char's death due to cat jumping on keyboard in the Graveyard though. Tragic yet funny.
 

sunbearie

Diabloii.Net Member
Jude said:
Anyone else notice that their cat is attracted to the Diablo II LOD sounds of carnage? Mine comes into my workroom (where I play computer games, of course, whenever I play Diablo II LOD, curls up on the spare chair, purrs, and goes to sleep, only occasionally waking up purring in the middle of a big battle to stretch and go back to sleep. Maybe she thinks I'm hunting for her dinner.

Another profound thing that I've noticed is that D2X won't work when you put the Heroes of Might & Magic III Complete CD into the drive by accident. ;)

BTW, thanks for always being so friendly and helpful, everyone.
Jude
No cats for me but they wouldn't be attracted since I don't listen to the DII sounds in the first place.

Profound thing: D2X wouldn't work if you place it ON TOP of your HOMM III CD in the disk drive (true story)

2nd fact: HOMM II makes a great soundtrack.
 

supermatt

Diabloii.Net Member
your cat probably just likes being near you.

i get the dogs lying next to me while i play if i'm home alone

:p matt
 

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
I have five cats.

Not only do they not love the sound of carnage from D2(Since I never play with sound, I'm always blasting heavy metal or something crazy through my headphones), but they love to run behind the desk and unplug my mouse/keyboard cords so I can't do a damn thing and end up being dead.

Oh yeah.

Gotta love cats.
 

frosty

Diabloii.Net Member
Raeff said:
Well I must say that you are lucky to have a small cat. If Dino, my cat, tried something similar there is no way I could see the screen.

Can guess from the name......Dino....... :p

@Dashy: lol. :lol:
 

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Serdash said:
Since I never play with sound...
Sounds help a lot for survival in this game:

- you can hear auras (and also which aura) go off, sometimes even before you know there is a boss pack
- certain monster types give away sounds before they even notice you (makes it possible to surpise them, instead of the other way around)
- you instantly know when you or a minion/merc get Cursed
- you can hear some specific item types dropping, like rings, amulets, gems, jewels and most importantly, runes.

How can you manage without all that?

Without sound, I would be so severely handicapped that I wouldn´t be able to enjoy the game.
 

Masas

Diabloii.Net Member
Sound is the best way to avoid Iron Maiden. You may be quick enough to see IM above your head, but if you're in mid zeal, or mid fury, or mid whirl, or in some other attack I forgot, seeing it won't save you.
I hit esc whenever I hear IM sound with a melee char, than evaluate the situation, and either resume game, or exit it.
 
I have 4 cats. a mother/son combo, then another 2 that we broguth off our neighbour because she didnt want 6 kittens for some reason.
However, only 1 of them actually takes an interst in the PC. She usually jumps onto the desk with the monitor on, and stands next to it so i cant see the lower half of the screen. then she'll go to sleep there or beg for food.
She also like my music, even when its loud she'll come sit by the PC with me.
 

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
jiansonz said:
Sounds help a lot for survival in this game:

- you can hear auras (and also which aura) go off, sometimes even before you know there is a boss pack
- certain monster types give away sounds before they even notice you (makes it possible to surpise them, instead of the other way around)
- you instantly know when you or a minion/merc get Cursed
- you can hear some specific item types dropping, like rings, amulets, gems, jewels and most importantly, runes.

How can you manage without all that?

Without sound, I would be so severely handicapped that I wouldn´t be able to enjoy the game.
Most of the time I progress somewhat paced. So if there's an aura, usually I see the animation of the damage it does to my character before we even find a boss pack(If Holy Freeze/Fire/Shock). Other auras I usually see, recognize, and act accordingly too as soon as something comes on screen.
I try to stay prepared for any monster I may come across. While it becomes harder in act 5 NM/Hell, it's not too much.

I usually instantly know when I'm cursed. For some odd reason when I play SP(Not in MP or when I do some nutty venturing to b.net) and something is going to curse me, I get a slight not even one second lag. Sometimes neat, but sometimes annoying in heavy Obliv Knight areas. :(

I always take time to check the ground. I don't feel the need to become like D2Addict. He can actually tell the difference between the sound of a small, large, and grand charm dropping. It's frightening.

Plus I have a crappy computer, more often than not, sound lags me to no ends.
 

Wraithan

Diabloii.Net Member
skoolbus said:
hahaha, sorry to tell you this, but you have a retarded cat, I saw this thing on the news, saying that cats see much more rapidly than humans, so they see the pixels changing on tvs to the point where it's not interesting at all, the cats that watch it are a little slow in the head

my cat sometimes comes and wants me to pet her while I play, I think she just wants attention
skoolbus must be a short one :D

It is not all cats (same with dogs and many other animals) see the refreshing and cant really see what is going on. Some cats can actually watch TV and see it, there have been like harvard studies and crap like that for it. (did a report in like 7th grade on it, google if you want sources)
 

water_moon

Diabloii.Net Member
AndiDi said:
There are similar pictures of me and one of the cats. It's like the cat's saying: I am now here, give me your attention!
No, she just likes to sleep there, I have pictures of her on me while I'm sleeping, her on Goltar while he's trying to look over her to play the GC and while he's asleep. She's just odd like that.
 
Top