My Blizzard-Fireball sorc build guide

zealhobo

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: My Blizzard-Fireball sorc build guide

from reading a few pages, what would u suggest for a sorc that is hell focused and mainly by themselves? I have a friend who plays as well but not as much. I recently started playing again and have a 76 smiter pally and wanted to start up an MF sorc as well. When I played serveral years ago I had a lot a fun with FO, but I have been reading Blizzard is just better in the end. Are they both viable just blizzard comes out ahead in the end? If I went with FO should I go meteorb spec?

blemar

Diabloii.Net Member

This build looks good! Will this build still be able to kill hell meph/pindle with MF gear and not +skill gear?

Donny

Diabloii.Net Member

hello guys,

After finishing the main build(glacial spike,blizzard,fire ball,meteor) what skills to pump next? i still have some skill points left..

Thanks for the advices

Geministorm

Diabloii.Net Member

Playing with an Act 2, NM merc (Holy Freeze aura); +8 all skills, +3 cold skills, +1 fire skills.

Here is how I built out my Blizzballer (clvl 85 - 96 skill pts):

Warmth - 1
Firebolt - 20
Fireball - 20
Fire Mastery - 2

TK - 1
TP - 1
Static - 1

Frz Armor - 1
Shiver Armor - 1
Frost Nova - 1
Ice Bolt - 1
Ice Blast - 20
Gl. Spike - 1
Blizzard - 20
Cold Mastery - 5 (-95%, since it can't remove CI anyway, why get it to -100% for minimal return?)

My build goes with the plan that Blizzard is the primary spell, but I put skill points into Fire Bolt not Ice Bolt because Fireball is a spammable, stunning, small AoE that garners more damage per hard skill point in its synergies than Blizzard does from its synergies. If Blizzard can hit at most 5 shards on a target, while Fireball can get fired off multiple times on a small group with more damage, I'll take the more damage of Fireball. CI will not be broken by CM anyway, so against all non-CI, you'll still do a lot of damage with CM and against CI, you'll want to crush them quickly with FB. I never liked Meteor all that much except against immobile mobs (Mephisto after moat trick), so I found myself almost never using it with my MeteOrb, thus I pumped up Firebolt instead of investing in 3 useless spells and losing the synergies.

Blizzard is best on moving targets (hits more often), so I'm not interested in freezing so much as slowing down the enemies so that my Blizzard does more damage. Thus, I don't invest in Gl. Spike. Yes, GS does well at crowd control, but my NM Act 2 Merc has Holy Freeze, and I have Blizzard to slow my enemies. Remember, the goal isn't to halt them, but to slow them down because Blizzard is more effective against moving targets. Ice Blast is my primary single target spell, although I typically alternate with Fireball. The combination of a timered spell (Blizzard) and a spammable AoE (Fireball) is a good mix. Against CI + FI mobs, I will sometimes risk TP'ing to the boss with the aura (if they have one) putting my merc between me and the boss and spam a couple of Statics on them then I TP away from the group and let me merc go back to work. Normal mobs that might have hit me will typically be slowed by my merc's aura and don't seem to hurt me too much, although I have died occasionally against certain mobs.

I concentrated on the Cold tree until about Act 5 of NM because only Izzy seemed to be an issue, and I just went and got a Leaf with fireball on it to aid my merc on him. I ran the foothills a number of times in Act 5 because I knew I needed to into the fire tree by the time I got to the caverns. I utilized either a Salamander or a Leaf for much of the caverns, to build upon my fire tree. Once I got to NM Baal, I ran the minions (perfect for a Blizzard sorc) until about level 70 then proceeded to Hell. Act 1 in Hell seems to be populated by mostly CI and LI mobs, so I stayed close to my merc and stuck with my game plan. My merc died in Tristram the first time because I ran in too casually and we got overwhelmed, the second time I went in leading with Blizzards and spamming Fireballs and got through pretty quickly. The basic in most dangerous areas is to lead with a Blizzard on the edge of the screen, while waiting and then inch forward (rinse and repeat). When you come to a CI, you spam Fireball and sometimes have to sprinkle in some TP'ing for better position and Static. The most dangerous areas seems to be the Durance of Hate levels because of the little popping Fetishes that your merc may kill near you or that get too close, and Chaos Sanctum can be a little difficult as well. Otherwise, its a fairly safe build that gets through Normal and NM quickly and painlessly.

Merc: Holy Freeze seems to effect all things, regardless of cold resists. My merc has an Infinity, and while this doesn't remove CI or FI from much of anything, it makes it more painful for the non-FI (CM already takes non-CI from 0% to -195% I suppose). I originally outfitted my Merc with a Kelpie Snare, then I upgraded to an Insight and now I'm using an Infinity (although I admit I thought the Infinity would be more effective than it seems to be, it mostly breaks LIs, which is why I'll probably go back to outfitting the merc with the Insight and move the Infinity to my Furizon).

PetroRabbit

Diabloii.Net Member

Even though fireball is the main fire spell of the build, having meteor is still crucial against cold immunes. Meteor + fireball spam goes a long way.

As for glacial spike vs ice blast, that is usually preference. I also use a holy freeze merc, but opted for glacial spike because it is capable of freezing groups inside the area of blizzard that pelts the ground more than others. You can find that in the blizzard vs orb discussion.

Blizzard and Fireball are the main spells in the build, but OP made the build for versatility, which they have succeeded in. I myself favor versatility, so that is what i stuck with.

Angelbound

Diabloii.Net Member

How is meteor crucial to this build? It seems kind of pointless to make fireball weaker by maxing meteor which really needs immobilzation to work, you will be running into many cold immunes so without the mobs being immobie that doesnt make it worth the 20 points in my opinion.

I think this is more of a prefrence thing honestly.

handofnaz

Diabloii.Net Member

It seems kind of pointless to make fireball weaker by maxing meteor which really needs immobilzation to work, you will be running into many cold immunes so without the mobs being immobie that doesnt make it worth the 20 points in my opinion.
I might have misinterpreted your post, but Meteor is a synergy for Fireball anyway, so how does it make it weaker? Personally, I find it very useful and quite powerful.

Even the burn damage from the flames it leaves on the ground is substantial... saved my butt against the Ancients on very many occasions.

In any case, you're forgetting about your merc, who is perfect for keeping mobs in place for Meteor spam. Teleport makes it incredibly simple to reposition him. Tele next to a monster, step back, let your merc engage, and bring on the Meteors.

AnimeCraze

Diabloii.Net Member

I might have misinterpreted your post, but Meteor is a synergy for Fireball anyway, so how does it make it weaker? Personally, I find it very useful and quite powerful.
It's slightly weaker, by 3 skill points exactly. (inferno, blaze, firewall) Whether you think it is worth it is up to you, but I do think stacking meteor fire at Diablo or Baal very effective.

MizzouFTW

Diabloii.Net Member

Mylady, you have created a very nice guide!

However, I think you should have gone max block on the sorceress. I am a Hardcore player at heart, and every sorceress I make ends up with max block using Stormshield. Even on SCL, I prefer max block with a Stormshield. It just makes me feel safe. I baal a lot. So, this prevents me from dieing and losing experience.

Just my $0.02

Angelbound

Diabloii.Net Member

It is true it makes fireball a weaker but I wouldnt say a little weaker id say either moderate or almost alot, and im not sure if I want a weak fireball. But theres only one real problem, its that mercs die way to much without good gear, this build can be for untwinked play and in my opinion meteor will be pointless without the proper armor for mercs like a runeword armor.

But he did mention he likes the barb mercs, ive never used them so maybe there stronger in defense compared to act2 mercs but I would think holy freeze would rule out any act5 mercs defense.

I could be wrong of course, and I dont see how you can think its only a slighty weaker fireball weaker. I dont remember the exact minus percentage but I think it's 5 percent damage per level more then meteor, ill have to check to make sure but im confident its atleast 4 thats quite a bit of damage loss friend.

Think about it this way with stronger fireballs you can cast them much faster then meteor, stun effect and there is no timer on it which can probably save your butt faster then casting 2 to 8 fire extra fire balls. I really am just guessing but from the percentage thats what it sounds like.

Another reason is I love the sound effects of fireball compared to meteor.

Last edited:

handofnaz

Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks Anime for pointing that out... I hadn't even considered skipping Meteor entirely. Guess I just got so used to having it on any of my sorcs that invest in the fire tree.

I see what you mean about a weaker Fireball now, Angel, my bad. You really don't need to go into Meteor if you don't see a need for it, I suppose. And yeah, FCR can do wonders for your damage. Have you tried firing them at 200%? *pew pew pew*

Like I said though, I still feel attached to Meteor. The burn damage is pretty ridiculous when stacked, and it does have plenty of uses. I remember taking down Hell Baal faster with Meteor than I could with Blizzard with my old Blizz/Ball, which was bizarre, but still a nice surprise.

Another reason is I love the sound effects of fireball compared to meteor.
Seriously? I love that "soaring from the heavens" sound thing that Meteor does. Anyway, I guess I just can't see playing a Fire/Cold sorc without Meteor now. Go figure.

Angelbound

Diabloii.Net Member

Hehe 200 fcr, I have not reached it yet I might have long ago, I agree with soaring from the heavens that is a pretty cool sound but I like the impact of fireball a little better personally, I will agree that meteor is probably better for groups and bosses, im a little worried myself about building this toon without meteor lets hope I dont feel a need to remake and try it with meteor.

And it does give you one less skill to play with which can be a little repetitive for some, I dont think I will because I love fast casting a bunch of fireballs that do crazy damage.

So either way they both have there strengths and weaknesses it all comes down to prefrence in the end, I just wanted to give that example that fireball will do much more damage per fireball per firebolt.

By the way merry christmas everyone.

Last edited:

Time Warp

Diabloii.Net Member

This is probably a stupid question, but can Cold Mastery break immunities?

sirpoopsalot

Diabloii.Net Member

This is probably a stupid question, but can Cold Mastery break immunities?
Not unless you're playing a much earlier version of the game (1.07 or earlier, I think).

There's a guide in the stickies that's ~98% accurate if you want more details. :p

MercyfulFate

Diabloii.Net Member

Quick question, after you max Blizzard and a synergy would the remaining points be better spent in cold mastery or another synergy? I know that Cold Mastery will benefit more from plus skills but with my current gear (Tal Set, Spirit) my CM is only around level 10. Seeing as how I'll probably only get 5-7 more levels anyways I was thinking the extra -20-30 resist would be better than the extra damage a couple extra points in the synergy would give you. Any thoughts?

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer

Is this build still viable in 1.13?

Dacar92

Moderator: Community, D2 Zon, DH, Inc Clan Officer

Thanks for the drink!

I am making this build with my son. He is a summoner necro so we have physical, cold and fire damage covered.

What is the consensus on the merc? Still act 5 barb merc?

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator

Dacar92, you can still trust Miladys-Knight's build here. The Blizzballer is just like the Meteorb one of the viable stock builds that are easy to play and deliver what you need :)

Blizzballer is actually among my favorites. You will get Blizzard, Fireball spamming and Meteor. This can deal with practically anything. Have fun!

danc133

Diabloii.Net Member

Hehe 200 fcr, I have not reached it yet I might have long ago, I agree with soaring from the heavens that is a pretty cool sound but I like the impact of fireball a little better personally, I will agree that meteor is probably better for groups and bosses, im a little worried myself about building this toon without meteor lets hope I dont feel a need to remake and try it with meteor.

And it does give you one less skill to play with which can be a little repetitive for some, I dont think I will because I love fast casting a bunch of fireballs that do crazy damage.

So either way they both have there strengths and weaknesses it all comes down to prefrence in the end, I just wanted to give that example that fireball will do much more damage per fireball per firebolt.

I have read this thread from beginning to end and one thing I don't recall seeing is another big factor for meteor vs firebolt as a synergy.

I'll give a common example to make my case. A mixed pack of melee and ranged CI critters with the ranged at the rear pelting you. With only Fball and bolt you Have to kill the melee first and keep getting pelted. With meteor you can drop a meteor on the ranged in the back and still Fball the melee in the front. As for the comment you can have more in mastery because of the prerequisites to meteor, it is a moot point because of the Much higher damage of meteor compared to Fball, not to mention one of those "wasted" points is a synergy to meteor. On top of that fbolt and meteor both give a 14% synergy bonus to Fball so no difference.

One other plus to meteor is that some critters AI will cause them to flee from the burn duration of meteor, like they will from firewall, so it can also be used as crowd control or block off a choke point.

IMO there is NO "good" argument for bolt being better then meteor, but plenty for the reverse.

I know this is an old thread but it is still used as a reference and a guide so I thought for completeness this might be useful to someone considering the build.

First round is on me! :guiness:

D!