My Blizzard-Fireball sorc build guide

Gundam

Diabloii.Net Member
I liked the sound of this build because it sounded a little like the sorc I'm playing now. I really liked my old orb/meteor sorc (RIP) but wanted to do something a little different this time around. I went with FO again, and just one point in CM (so far). I ignored meteor completely and went with Fire Bolt, Fire Ball and FM. Using Bliz and more points in the cold tree might have been a better choice, but I'm definitely enjoying this sorc.

I also stuck 1 point each in enchant and hydra. In this way Hydra's damage will never compare to meteor but it comes in handy as a kind of pointer. I cast it at the edge of the screen to help me target monsters I can't see. Actually, I just like hydra so I wanted to use whether it's good or bad ;)

If (when?) this one dies, I'd definitely consider the bliz version, and maybe I could bear to not use hydra and go for meteor too.

She the first character I've made that has survived long enough to get her hellforge rune :) so she can't be too bad.

Cheers

melianor

D3 Wizard Moderator
Jek said:
Personally I'd go for Fire first, getting decent +skills to take you through the early levels is much easier with fire: Leaf runeword (+6 to fireball (and +3 to the rest fire skills) for Ral + Tir and a few minutes of shopping, I'll take that!) and Magefists, that's +4 fire skills right there for practical nothing. :)
Uhm, the fire skills you have and can boost with Leaf are good enough to get you to lvl30 without a problem. Finishing the cold-tree first makes progressing through NM alot easier since you have good crowd control.

Vladster

Diabloii.Net Member
great build

First of all THANK YOU Milady for this guide.

I played single player for longest time, started online about 6 months ago, and only played sorcs. I am poor player, so I played with ****ty equipment but still managed to advance. When I got a bit better stuff I tried blizz sorc but absolutely hated it... I like to PLAY the game, kill monsters and have versatile character that is fun to play. That would not be single tree sorc... at least not for me.

When I read this guide I already had fireball/cold sorc moving up but I messed up skills a bit and never got good gear with fast cast to make it work very well. Then I sold everything I had and scraped decent stuff and started new sorc according to your guide. It is in lvl 70s now and it absolutely rocks I LOVE IT ! :))))

Gear (remember im poor hehe)

Occulus
Um'd 34 Vipermagi
Snowclash
Rockstopper (soon to be um'd shako)
Magefists
Tall Ammy
Fast cast ring with nice fire/light res
Spirit Monarch
Aldurs boots
+13 all res charm
2x7% large charms

My resistances in hell are maxed except poison around 45.

Two questions for you guys.
First, why does nobody use spirit? 2 skills, 30% or so fcr, lots of fhr, and much needed resists... True you need str but it seems like reasonable tradeoff.
Second, how do you get merc to use battle orders? My barb simply does nothing, I tried +all skills helms, specific skill helms, and nothing. He doesn`t like me I know.

Also, why not using crown of thieves on merc?

Thanks,
Vladster

Miladys-Knight

Diabloii.Net Member
Glad you like it Vladster. At the time I wrote this guide Spirit was not a working rune word. Since that time I have revised my blizzballers gear and switched from Snow clash to Arachs and switched to a spirit RW monarch. As an FYI the merc barbarian isn't a "real" barbarian he can't use any war cries and, iirc, the only skill he uses is bash.

Crown of theives works just fine I use tals mask because of the extra resists along with the life leech.

My barb merc uses:

Tals mask
Eth skin of the flayed one
Eth Doombringer

he survives just fine in hell diff.

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Miladys-Knight said:
Glad you like it Vladster. At the time I wrote this guide Spirit was not a working rune word. Since that time I have revised my blizzballers gear and switched from Snow clash to Arachs and switched to a spirit RW monarch. As an FYI the merc barbarian isn't a "real" barbarian he can't use any war cries and, iirc, the only skill he uses is bash.

Crown of theives works just fine I use tals mask because of the extra resists along with the life leech.

My barb merc uses:

Tals mask
Eth skin of the flayed one
Eth Doombringer

he survives just fine in hell diff.
Hi there! Kudos to an excellent guide and this is my first ever sorc i'm making in this game as the sorc along with the zon are my final frontiers hehe. Hmm i know some may think i am crazy but i returned to the game after 18mths-2 years and the char i was best at was the necromancer so this ladder season i came back and mf with a summon/bone hybrid necro and he has zero immunity problems and is versatile i.e he can item run anywhere in hell. I started with jack items and no previous active accounts hehe. In fact my necro was wearing a cracked sash up till act 5 normal when Shenk dropped Nightsmoke hehe. As he found some nice sorc items i thought it's high time i learn to have fun with sorcs and i must say your guide has everything i want in a sorc build : versatility/fun/no immunity problems hence going anywhere in hell so thank you for sharing with the guide @@ Ok my specific question is your choice of merc. With my bone/summon necro he is spamming spirit/spears like crazy and has base-60 energy due to my might merc using an 'Insight' Thresher. I dunno how good a one point wonder Warmth is but wouldn't this merc/weapon combo be a better choice than a Doombringer Barb Merc? The Mediation Aura gives my necro 600+% mana regeneration and Hell Baal can cast his mana drill and i still continue kiling him with my spirits hehe. My might merc uses tals mask+Insight Thresher+Duriel's Shell for cannot be frozen as when facing Hell Baal i find CBF excellent as he does not slow down leeching back his life :D i would have thought Act 2 mercs would be more versatile as they can equip the Infinity (Conviction Aura) runeword as well? I am making a Leaf staff (lvl 19) but in the meantime i have a Chromatic Ire Cedar Staff and a vipermagi collecting dust in my mule - would that get me thru nightmare in your opinion? Lastly as a caster class how much fcr is needed for this build? Again thanks and you inspired me to explore the sorceress class :D

p.s Ok i have a bone/summon mf necro guide (not as good as this one hehe) at the Necro Forum :p My 1st one ever - check it out if you are curious about item running with a necromancer *or* to confirm that i was crazy hehe Its called 'The Bony Magicfinder Guide v1.10'

Miladys-Knight

Diabloii.Net Member
batuchka said:
I dunno how good a one point wonder Warmth is but wouldn't this merc/weapon combo be a better choice than a Doombringer Barb Merc?
At the time I wrote this guide the Insight rune word was not active. I used the barb because he was more agressive and I liked the barb. (His bash skill moves the target around in the blizzard ensuring that they are damaged more often by it.)

batuchka said:
i would have thought Act 2 mercs would be more versatile as they can equip the Infinity (Conviction Aura) runeword as well?
There are only a very few monsters who's resistances can be broken by Infinity. The increased damage to all monsters is very nice. You may find you are better off with Insight especially if you are heavily loaded on FCR gear (recommended)

batuchka said:
I am making a Leaf staff (lvl 19) but in the meantime i have a Chromatic Ire Cedar Staff and a vipermagi collecting dust in my mule - would that get me thru nightmare in your opinion?
Those were the very things that I used to get through Nightmare so yes they are good choices. My Blizzballer still wears an Umed Viper magi.

batuchka said:
Lastly as a caster class how much fcr is needed for this build? Again thanks and you inspired me to explore the sorceress class :D
This build is very effective with 105% FCR. 200% FCR is nice but not needed. Maximizing plus skills is the key on this build.

batuchka said:
p.s Ok i have a bone/summon mf necro guide (not as good as this one hehe) at the Necro Forum :p My 1st one ever - check it out if you are curious about item running with a necromancer *or* to confirm that i was crazy hehe Its called 'The Bony Magicfinder Guide v1.10'
I have a poison nova necro that I use for pit running. Extremely effective :)

batuchka

Diabloii.Net Member
Aha thanks again - with 105fcr i am fiddling with gear options and am thinking of using a 30fcr Spirit Monarch that i made a week ago hehe. Must think of how much str i have to sink with bonus from gear maybe a T-gods + Wartravelers as i have not obtained an anni sc yet :p Hey my bone/summon necro found a near perfect Death's Web and along with this new sorc, a poison/summon necro are my next projects :D Wow gonna be a fun building this sorc and cheers :D

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
I made this char MONTHS ago when the guide came out at the beggining of the season.
She was lvl 86 when i stopped playing due to an *incident* in a xfer game w/ a so called friend.

She followed the guide exactly although, she had slightly diff gear...

She used full tals set, 2 sojs, magefist, rhyme, and sum nice rare fhr boots w/ high mf. I isted all sockets.

I used her to run pindle (amazingly), hell rush for forge, hell meph, occasionaly hell andy, hell pits, basically anywhere. I used a defiance merc w/ ok gear and on switch i had ist gull w/ 3Xist kite shield.

RiP Freezing_Magma

LordKdog(ik)

Diabloii.Net Member
why is everyone using Shako, lidless & occy
I know its godly

My Blizz sorc is wearing
Nightwing,Stormshield & fathom.
wearing Viper but thinking of switch to something else.

I know strngth is a problem but
having SS on takes care of DR better block....

This is Blizz and soon to be Fireball sorc
Still cant decide on where to puts skills for the fire tree

Any thoughts on this gear.

hi,

a while ago, i tried out a fireball / nova sorcy for something different. the nova is a bit weak though, so i was thinking of making this build. :) i dont use tals, just rw's / uniques for maximum +skills so it should go nicely.

shako ptopaz
maras
hoto
coh
spirit
magefists
2x soj
arachs
war travs

that gives 105-115 fcr depending onthe spirit. i have a 35 fcr one so i can sub out hoto for an occy if i want to mf.

i found it interesting that the cold tree and fire tree are both equally powerful, unlike most builds where one skill generally takes over with another for back up. should be interesting. ^^

20 fb
20 meteor
20 blizz
20 glacial
1 into each utililty/prereq skill
rest into fire mastery

so hows it look? :cool:

great guide milady. thanks =D

Taishaku

Diabloii.Net Member
Does Blizzball outperform Meteorb?

For Meph Run? For Baal Run? In the "poor man" scenario?

I'm trying to build a MF sorc... but I don't want to moat and continuously exchange my equipment. So how reliant is this class upon it's equipment? Can I keep my MF on? (Compared to Meteorb, CBlotress, or pure Blizzard)

Opinions? Anyone?

fredsta54

Diabloii.Net Member
Taishaku said:
Does Blizzball outperform Meteorb?

?

Yes. In terms of pure damage per attack meteorb is better but blizzball is much more versatile and stylin so it makes up for it.

orb sorc uses orb and meteor, occasionally fball, 2 timered skills

blizzballer has 4 effective attacks

blizzard (timered) and glacial spike

meteor and fball

and a great balance of mf, resists, and killing power is the tals set, hard to beat, impossible to beat if you like the glow :)

Fred

draconigena

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to say I think I've decided to use this guide for my sorc this new ladder season. I started a pure Blizz sorc a few months ago, and she was lots of fun, but had trouble with the immunities of Hell. She was very restricted, and I couldn't play the areas I wanted to. I think this variant of fire/cold will solve those problems, along with keeping the fun of the Blizzard Sorceress.

Thanks, Miladys-Knight for a nice guide. I just can't wait to get home from work and try it out. :)

*draconigena

Peppe

Diabloii.Net Member
I run a blizzball sorc now and am making a new one next ladder.

I have the same skills as a above, but got to lvl 92 so i put my extra points in cold mastery and static field ;)

I could tank meph in tals set with spirit shield as a max vita build. Wasn't too bad... was confident in running anywhere with her since rarely had a pack i couldn't kill and a boss my merc couldn't finish off.

My only change for next season is to use ice blast instead of GS for the extra damage, since i rarely used GS and usually never needed the group freezing.

I flirted with a standard metorb, but the playstyle doesn't fit me. only got to lvl 70 so can't really compare its mf running abilities.

LRSAIA

Diabloii.Net Member
I do mostly single player so that takes some of the runewords away. However, what is the verdict on using the following skill setup with the skill distribution as follows:

20 fireball
20 meteor
1 fire mastery (let + skills do the rest)
1 warmth and pre-req's

20 blizz
20 glacial spike (my playstyle preference)
1 + leftovers cold mastery
1 to cold armor of choice

1 to TK, TP, and Static (utility spells)

So far nothing too strange right...here are my thoughts on gear, please slap me with a fish if this is off base:

The usual sorc items from better to best well all know em/love em/want em...however what about???

Trang-Oul Belt
Trang-Oul Gloves

*****By using the two Trang items it should give you a +18 to your fireball. Has anyone truly tested this out yet? The gloves add cold resist and FCR as is, the belt has great mods except for lack of skills and the req isn't that high. If that works that should really "up" the firepower of fireball. Can anyone tell me for certain if that works or not? I am planing a sorc around that feature and I don't use editors or whatnot so can anyone let me know?

Thanks...

ByteMeHard

Diabloii.Net Member
LRSAIA said:
I do mostly single player so that takes some of the runewords away. However, what is the verdict on using the following skill setup with the skill distribution as follows:

20 fireball
20 meteor
1 fire mastery (let + skills do the rest)
1 warmth and pre-req's

20 blizz
20 glacial spike (my playstyle preference)
1 + leftovers cold mastery
1 to cold armor of choice

1 to TK, TP, and Static (utility spells)

So far nothing too strange right...here are my thoughts on gear, please slap me with a fish if this is off base:

The usual sorc items from better to best well all know em/love em/want em...however what about???

Trang-Oul Belt
Trang-Oul Gloves

*****By using the two Trang items it should give you a +18 to your fireball. Has anyone truly tested this out yet? The gloves add cold resist and FCR as is, the belt has great mods except for lack of skills and the req isn't that high. If that works that should really "up" the firepower of fireball. Can anyone tell me for certain if that works or not? I am planing a sorc around that feature and I don't use editors or whatnot so can anyone let me know?

Thanks...
Sorry bud, no luck there. Check out Arreat Summit , you'll see that Sorcs have the + to skills for the Trang set capped at 3. The only ones who get the full benefit are the Necros..... oh well........

LRSAIA

Diabloii.Net Member
Doh! Oh well, at +3 it isn't bad but probably loses out to Magefist/Arachnid (or snowclash). I'll take my fish smackin... Still a very promising guide... Oh well, off to start her up.

Thx for the info.

ByteMeHard said:
Sorry bud, no luck there. Check out Arreat Summit , you'll see that Sorcs have the + to skills for the Trang set capped at 3. The only ones who get the full benefit are the Necros..... oh well........

decusetfides

Diabloii.Net Member
very fun

I've been using the "blizzball" build for a while now, and it's lots O fun. good for mfing so far at lvl 78 w/ a lightning sorc or lvling w/ a summon necro. With either of these Pals you have something to hurt the monsters with. However, I use a holy freeze merc w/ Insight to slow down even the cold immunes and virtually unlimited mana. His dmg isn't very good at this point so once I get some decent armor for him and a better base polearm he should do ok.

He's a question: I have low ormus and am thinking about Enlightenment. Should I hold out for a good Ormus or go for the +2 skills from Enlightenment? I think I'm going to try it.

Dennis_KoreanGuy

Diabloii.Net Member
decusetfides said:
I've been using the "blizzball" build for a while now, and it's lots O fun. good for mfing so far at lvl 78 w/ a lightning sorc or lvling w/ a summon necro. With either of these Pals you have something to hurt the monsters with. However, I use a holy freeze merc w/ Insight to slow down even the cold immunes and virtually unlimited mana. His dmg isn't very good at this point so once I get some decent armor for him and a better base polearm he should do ok.

He's a question: I have low ormus and am thinking about Enlightenment. Should I hold out for a good Ormus or go for the +2 skills from Enlightenment? I think I'm going to try it.
No point digging out these old threads. ;)