Diabloii.Net Member
Ok how do I collect?
Maybe like this ??

Skills
Firebolt 20
Fireball 20
Warmth 1
Firemastery 1+
NOT Meteo (save skill point to other skill)

Icebolt 1
Iceblast 1+?(still considering *More damage than GS)
Frostnova 1
Glacialspike 1+?(still considering *Not as powerful, but freezes a group)
Blizzard 20
Cold Mastery 7+

Staticfield 1
Telekinesis 1
Teleport 1

BTW, Nice work Miladys-Knight! :clap:
I'm looking for update ver of Bliza-Fireball Sorc guide.

X

xanth

just wondering...what kinda dmg do u guys get with your blizz/fb builds? ive run the numbers through a skill thingy but id rather get first hand numbers cause im gonna start one on new ladder..thanx

gunner9090

Diabloii.Net Member
Well I'm trying this guy out on ladder with a few minor modifications.

Pretty much I'm going to put more in CM and having 1 in static. A more major change is that I'm maxing Ice Blast instead of Glacial Spike for prereq and as a secondary/fast-cast spell. The reason for this is spelled out by wise_man

3) Ice Blast is better then Glacial Spike as a secondary cold skill. It gives a lot more damage at the reasonable price of freezing only 1 monster at a time. Moreover, while Blizzard adds to Ice Blast damage, it only adds to Glacial Spike freeze time.
I'll get back to you guys to tell you how it goes.

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
Static is a must. With +10 to all skills, your range will be large enough that you can still stay behind the merc while casting it. This skill is not used for anything except those with humongous hit points (aka Izual, Baal, etc.) which even both elements and your mercenary cannot kill in a reasonable amount of time. Chances are, in those situations, you will be facing the enemy alone, which means that nothing else will be there trying to hit your mercenary or you, and it's just as safe to be close up as being on the edge of the screen.

Cold Mastery - Ever heard of diminishing returns? 1 point is enough. Here's how I'd calculate its usefulness:

Monster: 95% cold resist -> Cold Mastery: -75% resist = 16 times the damage (from 5% to 80%)

Monster: 95% cold resist -> Cold Mastery: -200% resist = 40 times the damage (from 5% to 200%)

Ratio: 2 to 5

Monster: 0% cold resist -> Cold Mastery: -75% resist = 1.75 times the damage

Monster: 0% cold resist -> Cold Mastery: -200% resist = 2 times the damage

Ratio: 7 to 8

Since most regular monsters in hell are either immune or have negligible cold resistance, I favor calculations #2. As for act bosses, you have (or should have) static field to reduce their hp to half, and then your -75% resist is more than enough.

Ice Blast: I've tried this skill before, and it's not as effective. Observe.

Example 1:
6 medium hp, medium speed, medium damage melee monsters come at you. If you use Glacial Spike, they will all freeze in their steps, letting both your mercenary and the blizzard to rain blows of death on them. If you use ice blast, 5 chilled monsters will swarm your mercenary, which may be enough cause for retreat (wasted time) or a potion, because hell monsters are hell monsters after all, they hit hard even chilled.

Second Example:
6 ranged monsters are raining arrows or (even worse) piercing spells at both of you. You can freeze all 6, reducing their effective damage to 0, or take 5 of the hits, which'll, once again, hurt a lot. Glacial spike is still better.

Third Example:
Some fire immune physical immune superunique (alone) is walking toward you. In this situation, the ice blasts WILL be much more effective, due to more damage.

Now ask yourselves, which situation is more likely to occur?

wise_man

Diabloii.Net Member
Since most regular monsters in hell are either immune or have negligible cold resistance, I favor calculations #2. As for act bosses, you have (or should have) static field to reduce their hp to half, and then your -75% resist is more than enough.
Since you spend most of the time after a build is finished on MFing (rather then on questing and lvling), most of the monsters you'll fight will have high CR (e.g. Mephisto). The fastest way to do a meph run is to use the moat trick with Blizzard, leaving static out of the game.

Example 1:
6 medium hp, medium speed, medium damage melee monsters come at you. If you use Glacial Spike, they will all freeze in their steps, letting both your mercenary and the blizzard to rain blows of death on them. If you use ice blast, 5 chilled monsters will swarm your mercenary, which may be enough cause for retreat (wasted time) or a potion, because hell monsters are hell monsters after all, they hit hard even chilled.
Yet, while your Blizzard "rains blows of death on them", you'll notice it will mostly miss, because Blizzard hits moving targets much better.

Second Example:
6 ranged monsters are raining arrows or (even worse) piercing spells at both of you. You can freeze all 6, reducing their effective damage to 0, or take 5 of the hits, which'll, once again, hurt a lot. Glacial spike is still better
True. It this situation GS is better.

Third Example:
Some fire immune physical immune superunique (alone) is walking toward you. In this situation, the ice blasts WILL be much more effective, due to more damage.
True also when the monster that's walking towards you isn't "fire immune physical immune superunique".

Now ask yourselves, which situation is more likely to occur?

Summoned

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree with your first point, most people do just use them for killing mephisto and co.

Second point is that they'll more likely be walking out of the blizzard, and moreso with those hyperactive critters littered in all of act 5. It'll still be safer with GS.

The last point: ice blast is more effective against lone enemies. If you're talking about meph running, the ice blast won't be needed anyway, since that idiot on the other side of the moat keeps moving around, but I think the build is more centered toward crowd control.

The "monster walking toward you" must have a huge hitpoint to survive the initial onslaught of blizzard + fire balls if it's not fire immune, and whenever there are uniques, there'll be minions. Those minions can be frozen, and therefore saving you from dealing with 80% of the enemies.

Basically, what I'm saying is: half damage and freeze vs. 2+ enemies > full damage and freeze vs. one enemy in most gaming situations.

wise_man

Diabloii.Net Member
Regarding this build you are right. Since you already have Fireball as a spamming spell for most monsters (non-FI), there is less need for Ice Blast.

On the "clean" discussion of Ice Blast vs. Glacial Spike (with no other spamming spell to replace Ice Blast) I would still choose Ice Blast. I just NEED the functionality of a high damage spamming spell, and won't trade it for crowd freeze.

jorgejorgejorge

Diabloii.Net Member
The other possibility if you don't mind the typing is to use both. Leave GS at 1, but use it as the first shot and switch back after a few blasts. The effect would be short, but with enough +skills and synergy, the GS freeze may be sufficient (haven't tried this myself yet, of course...)

On a slightly different note, is there a handy dandy damage calculator out there somewhere?

ZiGGY^

Diabloii.Net Member
just doing this through sc atm, I found the Leaf runeword staff very nifty for lvling this build giving me +5 fireball and +6 warmth amoung other things, spamming through act after act in groups or solo with no issues what-so-ever.

DundeeKahn

Diabloii.Net Member
Just a thought:
Guys who defend GS use crowd control as reason.
GUys who defend Ice Blast talk about damage.
Blizzard adds to GS freeze lenght and IB damage.
Ice Blast Adds to Blizzard damage.

Mix it all up and:
Max Blizzard, and IB. As GS is a prerequisite, you WILL have 1 point in it. If you dont care for damage but for freezing, a Slvl1 (with added +skills) will do the job (Blizzard sinergy will make it a long time), and you will have a fast cast high damage as well.

Anyone disagrees?

aquamoeba

Diabloii.Net Member
According to the skillplanner a lvl1 Glacial Spike with max Blizzard will last 3.2sec (0.8sec in hell); with +10skill it will last 5.1 (~1.3 in Hell).
Where do u find the time to spam IB and keep them freezed?

A second point is that the replacement of Meteor by Firebolt ignore totally the true beauty of the build: having 1 timered spell AND 1 spammable spell in TWO elements.

You actually have a lot more versatility with the original build:

No fire/cold immunes: Blizz+Fireball (balanced) or Blizz+GS (high control) or Meteor+GS (very nice combo) or Meteor+Fireball (high dmg) allowing u to react against every situation (and keeping your merc alive)

Fire immunes: Blizz+GS
Cold immunes: Meteor+Fireball

The only drawback is maybe the baba merc knockback effect which can push your freezed monsters out of the Blizz/Meteor area of effect... (or keep them inside if they are not freezed, matter of choice here)

But this is a build which allow you to PLAY the game.

aquamoeba

gunner9090

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, my character is up to level 72.

Here's her stats:

Equipment-

+3 Cold Skills circlet
Tal Ammy
Occy
Que-Hegans
Stormchaser (Yeah...I'm getting lidless soon...)
Magefist
Carrion Wind
Snowclash
BK ring
Rite of Passage (Bleh)

Spells-

Meteor: Level 28 - 4080-4280 dmg
Fire Ball: Level 16 - 1051-1220 dmg

Blizzard: Level 32 - 2000-2097 dmg
Glacial Spike (Yeah I decided to use this instead): Level 23 - 294-315 dmg

Stats- (Plus equipment bonus)

Strength: 90
Dexterity: Base
Vitality: 300
Energy: Base

I'm able to do Nightmare Baal alone now. I just got into hell and it's a little difficult. Once I max the synergies and I can tweak her a bit she'll be really good.

By the way, her name is Frozen_Waffles. My account is *gunner9090. Contact me anytime.

SirFuxAlot

Diabloii.Net Member
I've read everything to this point, and it seems to me that every strategy has its up and downs. The base strategy is effective though. I have a question too. I haven't played Diablo in almost a year, and I remember the days of Oculus being the supreme sorc weapon. What happened to it, nobody wants it anymore?

wise_man

Diabloii.Net Member
It's still good.
Many don't like it because of the random teleport.

I think that the numbers (all but MF) are in favour of full Tal's though.

If MF is more important to you, and you like the random teleport (or don't care about it), it's a good weapon for you.

X

xanth

hey...with a build like this do you really get enough dmg with blizz and fireball to be okay soloing in hell against immues? i dont mean killing them in 1 hit but being able to kill them somewhat fast because if you only have 2 synergies for each of your main skills (blizz and fireball) then the dmg for fireball is only around 2k and the blizz dmg is about 2k also....is it really strong enough to mf and stuff?

CloudStrife_xz

Diabloii.Net Member
This Is A Neat Build

Hi,new to the community...but i like ur build...its a pretty good build and i like good sorc builds. see ya(btw my acct on diablo is my screen name) :worship:

CloudStrife_xz

Diabloii.Net Member
CloudStrife_xz said:
Hi,new to the community...but i like ur build...its a pretty good build and i like good sorc builds. see ya(btw my acct on diablo is my screen name) :worship:
btw i was just being stoopid dont listen to me i suck at my own speeking :scratch: