Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Biggest fear

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by PimpJuice, Jul 28, 2009.

1. PimpJuice

PimpJuice Diabloii.Net Member

My Biggest fear

I do not usually join game forums. However I am quite perplexed about this one little thing. I am an avid LAN'er with D2 and have been playing it since it came out. I love the game and the only reason I dont play online is because of item duping and character hacking.

All of that aside I have a fear, it is a crippling fear and one I would like some input about. I have a feeling from reading these and many other D3 forums, that the fine people at Blizzard are turning the Diablo series into a Sequel for WoW. More and more I am seeing similarities between the two. If I wanted to play WoW I would, but I don't in fact I really dislike the game. I realise that D3 is still part of the Diablo series, but I fear that they have kind of fuzzed the lines of what that truly means.

Any comments?

2. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

Re: My Biggest fear

Comment: the "OMG Blizzard is turning DIABLO into WARCRAFT!" topic is getting old, with or without the !.

if you can't see how the games are incredibly and dramatically different, then perhaps you either don't know enough about D3, you don't know enough about WoW, or both.

3. PimpJuice

Ok then, I did not think I would have to go into specifics. But.

Auto stats are not a D2 classic, if I cant decide where to put my leveled up stat points it is not a truly Diablo experience.

No level requirements for items or amour. Come now, can you honestly saying that it is Diablo if you dont work towards using items.

Im not going to refer to all of my sources, as it is tedious, there is no need for you to become all defensive and assume that I am the uninformed one. I want constructive criticism not lewd remarks about my knowledge.

Perhaps you should take a closer look at some of the press releases to see how similar the games are becoming.

Sure its a completely different tileset, and the gameplay is dramatically different. I just feel as thought they have been tainted by the monstrosity known as World of Warcraft. And if they remove plot line and Single player then it is WoW, just with another name.

4. Keighvin

Keighvin Diabloii.Net Member

1. Achievements are in practically every expletive game that has come out in the last few years. Plus, the quote is almost a year old.

2. The Diablo 3 vs WoW quote is from 2006, the game has gone through a lot of things since then, and it is a rumor, a word I hope you are familiar with.

This is just showing how silly your fear is, right in your own post.

And this is just even more silly. The number of ways this statement is wrong is legion.

5. PimpJuice

Well I've categorized at least 4-5 pages of these "rumors" and I'm just concerned thats all. I don't want this to be a flippen flame war. I love the Diablo series, and the game looks amazing. All I want is to get some CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. Keighvin your post is basically saying that the news is irrelevant. Its there for a reason, indeed it has gone through many changes over the past three years, but like I said I still feel that the over all feel has been tainted by WoW. But if no one is going to be helpful, and only express their dismay at my stupidity what is the point of joining a forum. if you want to flame me go ahead. Damn I know I can take it.

Apparently there is no such thing as an "active informative discussion" here, clearly you just want to nit-pick at the "new guy" and all statements I can make are illogical. I might not have mentioned this but I will Doubtless buy, play, and love the game, I just want to know what I am in for.

6. Keighvin

Keighvin Diabloii.Net Member

Well, if you looked at any number of threads on this message board, you could have joined those discussions about autostats or the lack of stat requirements. The main issue being the autostats, since the other rather hinges on it.

The developers have said that they went this route for basically two reasons, the ease of balancing content, and the fact that most characters had devolved to a cookie cutter layout of stats.

Now, they could have tried to simply alter the stats to avoid this, but I for one think that this idea is fine, and it is hardly WoW-centric. Many games before WoW had autostats, and they work just fine.

7. JonoLith

JonoLith Diabloii.Net Member

Hey PimpJuice, welcome to the forum. You'll have to forgive some of our regulars. They have gotten quite crusty as the game's development has gone on, for one reason or another. Please be aware that you're probably the seven thousandth person to bring this up.

However, I will attempt to address your concerns with an even hand.

I suppose the simplest thing that I could say to destroy the direct comparison between WoW and Diablo would have to be the basic combat system. In WoW there are really only two modes of play, stand by yourself and fight one, or possibly two or three if you're good, single monsters at a time, or stand with a highly organized group and take on a math puzzle. In both cases, for the most part, the gameplay is simply to play the simon says routine. Stand here, move here when X happens, shoot when Y happens, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself about, that's what it's all about.

However, in D3, it is clear that the game is built for you to be taking on multiple score of monsters in a far more fast paced and action packed environment. Monsters come out of every crevice and cranny to attack you and you're constantly needing to be aware and on your game.

Let's also be aware that D3 still maintains a robust randomization system that WoW simply does not have. In fact, WoW thrives on it's total predictability and could not function if it was not so, wheras Diablo thrives on randomization and uncertainty.

Now, to address your specific concerns. I think it's fair to say that all of them can be comprised into one very specific heading, which you yourself mentioned. "I don't want Diablo to become WoW." And that's a fair thing to say. I think if we wanted to go play WoW, we would go and play WoW, and I think the developers of D3 know that too. If a game company basically just went and released WoW again it would fail, because we already have a WoW. The D3 team would have to be incredibly stupid, and moronic, and be surrounded by morons in marketing, as well as on the executive level to just go ahead and make WoW2. Not only would they be making a game that falls into direct competition with their own game, but they would lose numbers on both sides for doing so.

But I do hear what you're saying in regards to certain aspects of WoW being taken and put into D3. The UI, for example, is directly ripped from WoW. The new talent trees seem far more WoW like. Automaticly place stats. Bags instead of a single inventory block. I'm sure that there are more and more that I could go into, but I feel completely safe in saying that none of these changes, which are direct ports from WoW, will make the game a WoW Sequel.

You see, all of these changes are being used because they're tried, tested, and they work, and most importantly they add to the fun of the game overall. If we start taking a stand against certain systems simply because they exist in a popular game, then we're going to be doomed to simply making games that are crap. I'm of the opinion that the WoW UI is going to become the new RPG standard, just like the WASD setup has become the standard for FPS games. And why shouldn't that be so?

Ultimately, I think you're focusing on all of the little meaningless changes which, ultimately, are going to make your game experience better. The game that you want will still be there, it'll just be easier to navigate and will lead you into far less sink holes then previous iterations. (Because let's be honest. Placing your own stats is a pointless endeavor.)

Anyway, I hope that addresses some of your fears. Don't worry, the core is pure.

8. 5zigen

5zigen Diabloii.Net Member

I really don't get it. You're worried that D3 is becoming WoW because of achievements?

I'm fairly certain that SC2 will have achievements too. Does that mean it's becoming WoW also?

About the "no level requirements for armor" thing, perhaps you didn't play D1, or D2C. It wasn't until a much much later patch that level requirements were put on armor, because blizzard didn't like the necromancers of the world putting on 2 sojs, umes lament, and Tarnhelm at level 1. The idea of level requirements on armor is not something that is central to Diablo or even the Arpg genre. And just to make a further note of how this ISNT turning D3 into WoW, Wow has level requirements on item. And you're off your rocker if you think that they will let every lowbie put on items from level 1. If anything this is a DIVERGENCE from WoW as it implies that whatever is the requirement for items, it will be exactly the opposite of what WoW requires (specific class / proficiency and level).

That quote, as mentioned, is long outdated, and likely isn't relevant to the current iteration of D3. And aside from that, even if they are still making comparisons, is it such a bad thing to compare the scope of the game's content to that of WoW, one of the games with the most content ever?

You can't have an active informative discussion about something that most people who are posting on a "fan" forum know far more than you about, particularly if you are not going to bother posting specifics.

There are so many ways that D3 differs from wow fundamentally, that fears about "blurring the line" are just fearmongering by people who probably never played WoW in the first place (which is my guess in this case).

And aside from that, I think many people are sick of people hating the implementation of WoW concepts when they would clearly make the game experience better, simply because the concept came from WoW. Are we next going to talk about how having any kind of market system is a betrayal of the D3 values of blind bartering? Perhaps they should remove runes because they are too similar to inscriptions in WoW? Maybe they should remain steadfast in the right click / left click only UI because that's how Diablo was, even though it is immensely restrictive on what you can do.

In the end, the game isn't Diablo 2, and it gets old to hear the "they're turning Diablo into WoW" drum being beaten every time the designers do something that isn't in line with exactly how it was done in Diablo 2.

If you want to join in the criticism of design or business decisions we know about in Diablo 3, there's plenty of threads for you to do that. But to try and say a decision is bad because there is some attenuated link to WoW is insulting at best, and frankly, rather tired in terms of arguments. The only reason this whole subject has become so popular is because WoW has become such an industry juggernaut it's become par for the course to criticize and hate on the game and it's players.

9. PimpJuice

See finally you are getting it. Not you 5zigen unfortunaltely you, like oh so many others, have misinterpreted me. I think JonoLith hit it on the head, and Im sorry if I'm not going to troll the forums looking for ancient posts then necro'ing them just to recieve the same hateful responses.

Yes, of course there will be changes in the game and this is usually for the better. I only feel this way because I truly despise WoW, but thats a dscussion for a different place. There are so many discussions going on about this that it is hard to get a clear answer from someone without clouded judgement. Ill put it out there. I don't want D3 to be labeled a MMORPG. Plain and simple. I love the fact that Diablo has the randomising factor to it, and that was true to some extent for D1 and D2. As for them putting in the requirements on armour and level, If you remember a game called Titan Quest you will see an example of where that system flourishes. I can quite honestly not begin to explain the unimportance of the fact that they only brought that in D2 in later patches. The reason is still there, they did it. Saying that it came later makes no difference. Patches are released for the simple reason of improving the game. So your point is redundant

10. xduncanx

xduncanx Diabloii.Net Member

I'm of the opinion that in the end your fears will be unwarranted.

In all likelihood this will be the greatest game you will have every played. (not perfect as that would be impossible)

So don't worry, be happy.

11. GunPowderScarrab

GunPowderScarrab Diabloii.Net Member

hipocrit, diablo3 is turning into wow, to to ly. it's still gonna be fun as hell, but probably won't come with a diablo feeling. maybe a little but not enough to be diablo 3.

12. xduncanx

xduncanx Diabloii.Net Member

Oh, and by the way.

I can quite honestly not begin to explain the unimportance of the fact that there are some minor similarities between D3 and WOW.
    The proposed changes made from D2 - D3 are for the simple reason of improving the game. So your point is redundant.

13. PimpJuice

Wp wp, however I do agree with your previous point, and am sure that my fear is nothing to have a hernia over. But Ive said it once, Ill say it again. I am only worried. I get what you are all saying, that this is a deceased topic. But maybe I came off with the wrong impression, I am in no way bashing the game. In fact the only reason Im posting here is because I am too damn excited for the release of the game to not become part of the community.

And I felt that this was a point that me (and apparently many others) share.

14. Ishtor

Ishtor Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to online forum-ing, and i am not going to pick you because your the new guy. Here is the thing, they are taking things from WOW, but they are not making it sequel. WOW took things from Diablo 2, they re-use stuff that works. They are just trying to make this the best game they can. Keep in mind this is blizzard and they don't release crap. And what do you have against WOW, other than you have to pay for it it is a great game and does a great job using the lore surrounding the warcraft universe. After all it still is the #1 MMORPG.

15. Funkopotamus

Funkopotamus Diabloii.Net Member

That's a bold claim.

16. Valkenheim

Valkenheim Diabloii.Net Member

Who gives a fat flying **** if it's like WoW or not, you whiny asses are going to play the game regardless and no amount of your *****ing is going to change the game.

Man I miss the old diablo2.net forums ._.

17. PimpJuice

Spot the douche anyone.

That is boulder dash Blizzard base their games on public demand. Its what they strive for, so if there is enough *****ing, which I have no idea how to fit into this context, Blizzard will look into it.

18. SlechtWeerBeer

SlechtWeerBeer Diabloii.Net Member

They will look into it, but take the art for an example. They didn't change one bit.
    Why? They like it. They feel they can pull it of. End of.

19. PimpJuice

Well the art is still technically a traditional D3 tileset. If you look at the Demo's you can see it still maintains its general dark shrouded gritty ish feel, which is what we have come to expect from the Diablo enterprise.

20. SlechtWeerBeer

SlechtWeerBeer Diabloii.Net Member

Ha

People *****ing at Blizz say it isn't.
    The same holds true for your "fear", btw. It's still a traditional Diablo game.