Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My attempt to make the nova sorceress viable: by als2k8 if

Discussion in 'PvP' started by Als, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Als

Als Banned

My attempt to make the nova sorceress viable: by als2k8

Alright we all know nova is a dead skill but have you ever thought of it in the pvp aspect? Who would except a sorceress to teleport ontop of them nova and run away? I mean come on it shock the living daylights out of me if it happened. So lets try it.

The needs
    Fast cast rate, spam nova and put them into stunlock
    High resist, energy sheild does not absorb the dmg from -resists.
    Alot of - resist equipment.

The skill layout
    There are 2 very blaring routes we could go with this here are both of them.

20 to cold mastery20 to nova 40 to the synergies, 20 to telekenesis bunch into prequests, then use a staff for energy sheild on switch. This will be complete at level 90.

Or the other route the more mana less dmg route( i prefer this)

20 nova 20 to orb 10 to blizzard 20 to cold mastery 20 to telekensis 20 to energy sheild, which will give us 90 percent energy sheild, meaning by my computations that we can take more dmg.

The gear
    Helmet: really an hard choice, P nightwings or 3 to cold skills 20 fcr 2 os circlet with 2 5-5 die facets or duel umed
    ARmor: 1 armor really sticks out vipermagi 30 fcr is a life saver, if you wanted to you could also use 3 to nova ormus robes with 15 percent cold dmg, you would have to make up the resists somwhere.
    BElt: arachnids mesh 20 fcr, 1 skill gg i like this.
    Weapon: We can debate about this all day long and probably still not reach a favorite weapon, we need the 7 frames for teleport, and we need to be doing dmg. I prefer wizard spike, other choices are deaths fathom( lacks fcr 20) Hoto 3 skills 40 resist and 30 fcr decent but we need resists big time and 30 fcr might not cut it.
    Sheild: few choices here Spirit stands out to me along with the infamous sanctuary.

Rings: personal preference is 2 sojs
    Gloves: My pick are defently trangs
    Boots: resist fhr boots, there that nice.

Ok lets do the math on the fcr hoto( 30 fcr) +spirit(35 fcr) +trangs gloves(20 fcr) +arachnids mesh(20fcr)+ armagedon fletch(20 fcr) +Vipermagi(30 fcr)=155 percent SHORT

We can cut down to 8 frames i suppose if you would like, but if you want to do this i would cut out the hoto and replace it with deaths fathom, my personal goal is 4k nova.

8 frames is good enough i desided, so now lets look at the plus to skills
    ammy 2
    rings 2
    belt 1
    sheild 2
    armor 1
    helm 2
    weapon 3
    skills gcs 10
    anni 1
    =23 skill points leaving us with a level 43 nova

With route one ur nova dmg would be (not including cold skill percents yet) 1k even, wow pathetic your thinking right? You forget one thing my freind the -230 resist that comes along with it. And we can always use a merc( where a nova sorc why the hell not) which would give us an additional -85. So we would have 230 plus 85= -315 resist which no1 would ever stack up to. 1k dmg and -315 resist without counting in the 20 percent from nws and the 35 percent from deaths fathom.
    I think we can hit 4k if we do the math correctly. And even if it doesnt im pretty sure the -315 resists will hurt them bad enough. LEts assume that the average person has max resists.

315-75= -230 resist, thats more then conviction :p. And we have are lifeblood two yet, we have energy sheild at 70 percent.

So lets do are stat location now
    Strength= none
    Dex=none
    MAna:70 percent goes here if going route 1, otherwise route two go 90 percent mana.
    Life: 30 percent if route one, 10 percent if route two.

Not bad eh? WEll im just trying to get everyone to think outside the box and try somthing other then a hammerdin, along with nova you will also have two very nice range attacks. Just giving some people some ideas, maybe you will be the next pvp god or godess by thinking outside the box, WHO KNOWS!!!

2. dth

dth Banned

Please rewrite with proper grammar, and I'd flush it out so people who have no idea what/how sorceress works can read this guide and get a good idea.

I'd also check on the skills...
    20 CM 20 Nova 40 Synergy 20 TK???? Why CM?

20 Nova 20 CM 10 Blizz 20 Orb 20 ES 20 TK
    ^This does not work, you only have 110 skill points at level 99 (and most ppl only level to level 85), and you forgot to count pre-req. Plus how do you plan on getting Teleport, Warmth.

I suggest using a skill planner, maybe even playing the character, to get a grasp of what works/what doesn't.

3. Relativity

Relativity IncGamers Member

This thread is retarded. You say in the title "my attempt to make the nova sorceress viable." It's more like your attempt to make a nova/weird ass cold build viable...

Why the hell did you put 10 to blizzard? For ****s and giggles?

Best nova damage probably comes from:

+3 Perf Eschutas with facet
    Griffens with facet
    +3 Nova ormus with facet
    Mages
    Arachnids
    2x SoJ
    +2 ammy
    any boots...
    4x facet monarch

10x lit skillers
    anni
    +1 battle command

... with an Infinity merc.

You didn't even put 1 point into lightning mastery omg.

4. Masas

Masas IncGamers Member

Maybe he wants to use Cold Nova?

5. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

Cold nova? Weak as heck. i'd bet around 500 dmg max per nova, considering CM and etc. I'd go for LNova sorc if you want to make a Novasorc, and go with what Relativity said.

= 15k (guessing) dmg per nova.
    = GG in cowz.

*Gosu-Hellbolt

6. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Level 43 fully synergized FROST Nova: 920-1035 Cold Damage.

But of course not comparable to fully synergized Frozen Orb or Blizzard.

Level 43 fully synergized Blizzard: 7860-8148
    Level 43 fully synergized Frozen Orb: 842-879 PER SHARD.

Success of this build relies on:
    1. whether you will be able to get the opponent into the hit recovery animation or not with the frost nova.
    2. If you can do 1, whether you can spam frost nova faster than your opponent recovers.

I think it would really have helped if you mentioned the word "FROST" in there somewhere and paid a bit more attention to your grammer.

7. dth

dth Banned

1. Yes, we have thought of it in a pvp aspect, you are not the first one.

2. It doesn't matter, what char do you expect to tele close to, survive, then run away.

This requires 200fcr.

Hoto has 40fcr

Ok, so what happened to your "need" of 7 frame teleport, and your right in between the 2 fcr breakpoints, a huge waste IMO.

If Frost Nova, as wookie919 has proven, 4k nova is basically impossible, although you may be calculating with Cold Mastery (which I believe is the case).

8. wookie919

wookie919 IncGamers Member

Lets say that the opponent has 200 cold resistance stacked up, wearing snowclash and 2 ravens. (Not that unreasonable is it?)

That's 200% resist, 40% absorb and 15 absolute absorb.

You do 1000 damage with -315% enemy cold resist.

315 - 200 = 115.
    1000 * 2.15 = 2150.
    2150 * 1/6 (PvP) = 358 and 1/3
    358 and 1/3 * 0.2 (% absorb) = 71 (rounded down)
    71 - 30 (absolute absorb) = 41.

You do 41 damage. (yay)

But here's a catch. Absorb is done AFTER damage has been taken.

i.e. opponent will first take

358 and 1/3 * 0.6 = 214 (rounded down) damage,

and then gain

358 and 1/3 * 0.4 = 143 (rounded down) life.

You need to deal more damage than 1/12 of the opponent's life to stun. This is the part that I am not sure about - whether stun is based on the net damage outcome, which is 41, or the damage before absorb, which is 214.

If 214, 214 * 12 = 2568. Your opponent might be in trouble if his/her life is less than this figure, in which case he/she might get stunlocked and die in about 60 frost novas. LOL.

Also if duelled in hell where an additional -100% resist to all takes place, things might improve for this build.

9. Als

Als Banned

Alright sorry i was just free writing taht stuff. Here is what my goals are to make it more reader freindly.

1. Acheive 3k or 4k nova
    2. Acheive at least 8 frames of teleport
    3. Acheive an 71 percent energy sheild.

Here is my idea for gear setup
    Nightwings( 20 percent more cold dmg)
    Vipermagi umed( 50 resist and 1 skill 30 fcr)
    Ammy fletch if your non ladder, rare with 20 fcr and 2 to sorceress skills if ladder.
    Arachnids mesh: 20 more fcr 1 skill
    2x sojs please tell me you know what theses are.
    trangs gloves 20 fcr resists
    Deaths fathom boosts your dmg by alot you will love this.
    The sheild is kind of up to you to deside, I would go with an 20 20 monarch or a sanctuary. Both imo are very good choices

let me make this clear to everyone this is FROST NOVA! Its synergies are 10 percent blizzard 10 percent orb.

To whoever said that you would stack 350 resist. I highly doubt it, no one would go out of there way that much to nullify a sorceress. 350 resist is alot to try and get and i bet most people in public games do not even have enough lite resist to beat trappers.

This build would rely heavy on putting your opponent into fhr.

Heres why i think this build can get 4k dmg.
    It does exactly 1k with max synergies at level 43. We all know that cold mastery gives -resist and not a percent to are main skill. So in ways this gives us an edge. With the 40 or 60 percent we added(assuming you use 20 20 monarch) it would give us a huge boost to are overall cold damage. If you have ever made a blizzard sorceress and put on a fathom for the first time your dmg would sky rocket.

Now for why would you not use orb or blizzard?
    Orb bah everyone has used this before, same with blizzard try somthing different. And i also think this will be as successfull as blizzard or orb. Not only does this build have great - resists it also has 2 very viable backup skills. We can use orb vrs anything that trys to get just out of are range from nova, and we can use blizzard for anyone that trys to play defensive against us. Are blizzard will do roughly 4k-6k by my estimates which should be enough to kill.

Why not 7 frames like i stated before?
    7 frames we lose to much in skills and resists. Energy sheild is applied after resist meaning with negative resist you will take more dmg. We need to 8 frames though to retain are respect.

Dueling strategies some of the more common builds.

Fireball sorceress: use orb usually makes short work of them, if they want to play defensive use blizzard. If they deside to try and get a quick kill and teleport ontop of you use nova and spam them back to town.

Trapper: play as an blizzard sorceress, once again if they deside to come close to you spam nova.

Wind druid: you lost i dont think you can win this duel, i could be wrong though.

whirlwind barb: play the range game with them, if they get close do a quick nova and go back to playing the range game.

Guided arrow amazon: teleport up spam nova and watch them die.

JAvazon: stay away and spam orb they will keep charing you keep teleporting.

Bone necro: hard duel, teleport around and dodge the spirits launch blizzard and wait for them to get frustrated and come to you. The second they come close spam nova.

lighting sorceress: there range is shorter then your blizzard and orb so use these to skills against them. If tehy teleport on top of you like some of them do spam a nova and hopefully they will die.

Whirlwind assasin: not much of a chance except if you can get them into a nova fast enough.

HAmmerdin: easy they teleport ontop of you, sidestep there hammer and spam nova.

Foh: you have to get to them or its over. The second there on your screen launch everything you have at them.

Well i think this build could do fairly decent if anyone would give her a shot, i know i am going to try it. I will post the results on this forum. Hopefully people can read this and its more freindly. Sorry about the first one i was just freewriting. Please do not spam or flame.

10. G0su_Hellbolt

G0su_Hellbolt IncGamers Member

1. Impossible. We told you already. About...1.5k is max, considering CM, -res, abs and max res, not to mention stacked res.

2. Possible, go hit 105%/125% (forgot which bp it is) for it

3. Just have a Memory 3+es staff on switch and with other gear and +skills you will prolly hit it.

Mind you, this build will suck hard in pubbies due to the mass stacking(yes, its possible, some pally might gear up gris helm, blackoak and 2*ravens), ganging and also backstabbing. This build has nearly no fhr and so will lose to GA zons, CS zons, chargers, WW-sins, Kickers, and also all manner of ppl.

Im not flaming, Im stating the facts. This is not a viable PvP build, maybe only if you went into duel honor games.

Nice idea but too many weaknesses.

*Gosu-Hellbolt

11. semisonic9

semisonic9 IncGamers Member

I've seen a nice nova sorc on East Ladder.

She was light, so the skillers helpd out her ES too. Still, she used Infinity for fcr+Conviction, she was affective and deadly. THey get ownt by WW barbs, though....yes, please namelock-tele my ww, that will be very nice... :lol:

Nova-Oan is the name of that guy, e/sc/l.

12. Shlongor

Shlongor IncGamers Member

Yeah I know him. He suffers from the same plight as the fohdin tho.

13. semisonic9

He's as good as it's gonna get then, probably not a build worth considering unless ur uber-rich and/or bored.

14. Shlongor

Shlongor IncGamers Member

I am both ^^ but didn't want to make one because my PC is generally not fast enough for such things.

15. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

out aof topic but sorta curious.. how much damage can a lightning nova sorc really hit? assuming a well rounded gear setup and 10 charms. (well rounded gear set up as in escuchas + stormsheild + viper or whatever)

16. semisonic9

With +9 to skills and 10 skillers, still only 1800-2500 damage before PvP penalty and resists. However, the infinity will help, and that's not accounting for light jewels, griffons, etc.