Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My Adventure in the Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MixedVariety, Mar 25, 2004.

1. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

My Adventure in the Twilight Zone

Ok, last night was wierd and awful.
    I'm on my way home from work at around 11:00 p.m. The streets are basically deserted around this time, just a few stragglers like me still out and about. I stop at a four-way intersection, waiting for a red light, and idly look over to my left at the closed gas station.
    There's a baby carriage sitting next to one of the pumps. No cars, no people, lights are all off in the gas station, and a baby carriage in plain sight.
    I was mildly curious, but when the light turned green I went through on my way home. Then it struck me that as ludicrous as it sounds, What if there's a baby in that carriage? So I went back.
    When I pull into the gas station I have my window down, and I can hear a baby crying. It's like 35 degrees F outside, quite cold enough for exposure to set in. My blood runs cold just thinking of all the ramifications of this. Who would have left a baby behind? Was it intentional, or just plain stupid? Is this a deliberate attempt at homicide or something? While I'm thinking of this, I do the one thing that maybe saves my life or my butt, before I get out of the car. I pick up my cell phone and call 911, and talk to the police. They ask for my name, etc., and send a car right out. The woman at the police station told me I should maybe not get out of the car, but I tell her I have to make sure the baby, if there is one, is all right. She tells me to look quickly, get back in car, and wait for the officer to arrive. By this time I'm at the carriage and indeed, there is a screaming baby inside it. Decently wrapped in blankets and stuff, but shivering nonetheless in the way frantic babies do when they cry their hearts out and maybe, because of the cold too. I tell the policewoman I'm picking the baby up and bringing it to my car; she advised me not to. I'm not sure why, whether for legal reasons or whatever or maybe because people these days aren't beyond putting a bomb under a baby just to kill somebody? So I pick up the baby, a little cute dark-haired girl (I think) maybe a couple of months old, and go back to my car.
    As soon as I do this, two people, a man and a woman, come running from around the corner of the gas station, screaming at me and carrying on like the dickens (whatever that is). I have no clue what's going on, they are shouting things like "You're trying to steal my baby" and "I'll kill you M*****-F*****! and on and on. I locked my doors and got ready to burn out of there, they were pounding on my car windows and etc., the baby was screaming in my arms, I'm fumbling with the phone trying to call the police back, really by now I'm scared to death and muttering my kids' and wife's names under my breath (I think I even said Mommy a couple of times, lol), thinking maybe the next thing is a gun and I'm going to die in this situation from beyond Hell, and I'm bending over this baby in my lap, trying to protect it because any second now I expect my window to shatter and cover us with glass or worse; and now with flashing lights the police car careens into the gas station.
    This is getting much longer than I thought it would be. Garrgh!
    Here's these two crazy people shouting at the police (two of them, another car shows up momentarily) that I'm trying to kidnap their baby. Now I'm thinking I'll end up in jail for this before the night is done, just because I wanted and needed to do the right thing. Really, though, there was no problem; once I identified myself to them and they traced my cell phone back to the call I made, they realized I was in the clear. They called my work as well, talked to the security guard, who attested that I'd left barely 20 minutes ago. Time of my cell phone call was recorded, it was pretty clear I hadn't been planning some sort of baby heist for my entertainment. Another car pulls up with a policewoman who takes the baby from me (All this time, I haven't let go of her. She was quiet after a while and sleepy on my shoulder.) They let me go after a bit more checking of my story, and bundled the two still-freaking-out 'parents.'
    This morning, I called the family lawyer, meaning my cousin. I've been thinking about this all night. I don't know what's going on; how do I know I'm not going to be brought up on some kind of charges? And I want to know how the baby is doing, and what the hell kind of horrible story I stumbled into. Later on, she calls back to tell me the couple is in big trouble. Apparently this is nothing new for them, and they've been unsuccessfully accused before of child abuse. This time, if I'm willing to testify, the baby will be taken away. Also apparently, the deal was that they were going for some kind of fast blackmail; they were going to demand money of me or threaten to turn me in for attempted kidnapping. That sounds kind of lame to me, but maybe it works on some people. How she knows this stuff, my cousin, I'm not sure of yet; but this isn't over.
    I keep thinking about the poor baby. Everyone is telling me I've done my part (yeah; almost got myself killed or something) and I am sure not going to go after trying to get this baby for myself. But this whole thing bothers me like I can't explain.
    How can people be like this? To put a baby at risk like this, to rip other people off like this. How did they get around the system so easily so far? And will they end up with the baby back again, regardless of what charges are brought against them? Too often, this is exactly what happens.
    This whole thing has shaken me to the core, if you can understand that.
    Ok, I'm done. Whew.

2. tintrail

tintrail IncGamers Member

Wow, just wow. All I can say is that you are indeed a good man mixed, a very good man. I sort of saw it as a setup, as you described it, but I give you full kudos for trying to take care of that baby.

It is sickening to think that there are parents out there who would do something like this to their child for the sake of getting money.

Hopefully the whole situation gets sorted out. I do not see those parents as responsible enough to be allowed to keep their child, but then again, I am not a parent and cannot say what it might mean to them to have thier child stripped form them. (Although it does seem that they do not care very much for it).

Once again, many props to you for doing the right thing, and being a good person. I can teel you there are not enough people like you around.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Dang, Mixed. That's all sorts of messed up, yo.

You did the right and best thing in that situation, as I read it. You're in the clear like light beer. I'd like to think there are more concerned citizens out there like yourself who will take the time to check up on any wierdness.

Mad props, Mixed (this means I respect your actions in the lingo of my generation). In fact, I'm so proud of you, I'm willing to overlook the stucture of your post ;)

:winner: <---- I reckon you done earned this!

4. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You did the right thing.

One thing you now will have to think about is ensuring the safety of yourself and your family in case these wackos try to pull some dumbarse stunt. If I were in your position I'd seriously be thinking about getting a conceal and carry permit as well as the proper training to make sure you know what the heck it is you're doing.

It might sound absurd but it really isn't. I've known people who would try to do harm over something like this. The best I can tell you is vary your route to work for the next 6 months. Change it every day. If nothing else it's good practice. You never know when some nut will decide to single you out.

If you leave your vehicle outside at night, do a walk around before getting in. Just make sure nothing looks out of the ordinary. Again just common sense. Even if there was nothing going on, you can kep an eye on your tires, look for any leaks, etc.

Let your neighbors know to keep an eye open to anybody unusual in the area. Neighbors are some of the best security there is.

And most importantly, don't fail to do everything you can to make sure those two scum-sucking dirtbags do some time. You can also get the local media involved if you want. Drum up support for those two to go to Federal pound-me-in-the-arse prison for a couple of years. Nobody should be allowed to do that to an infant and walk free.

5. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Definately did the right thing, good job:clap:
    And it was very smart of you to call the police beforehand as well, good man:)

6. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I hope the kid turns out all right, but you definately did the right thing. :) Should I look for this in any of the local papers?

7. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

I was half expecting you to go up to the carriage and find that there was no baby and as soon as you got back to your car, you would hear a baby crying again. Well, the real story turned out to be a lot scarier. I wonder how long they had left the baby out there. Anyways, chilling story. You did the right thing. Hopefully, justice will be served for the best interests of the child.

8. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Yes, I noticed you didn't even remark upon it. 'Preciate it, (heh). I wrote it quickly and without considering the structure or the length. Frankly, it looks just like some of those giant paragraphs some posters have scrawled out that I couldn't even get through.
    But thanks. Don't even think, though, that I did this stuff out of heroism. The further away I got toward home, the more it nagged at me that, "I know that's just an empty carriage. But what if I read in the paper tomorrow that a baby died? How can I live with myself if that ever happens?" It went on from there.
    I do wonder now, Smeg, if I'm in trouble with a slimy bunch of thugsters whether I like it or not. I did request to remain anonymous if for some reason this does hit the papers, but who knows if that'll take? And how anonymous can I be if I am a witness to this in a trial?
    Dang. Some things just shouldn't happen.

9. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

Wow, Mixed. I wish there was more citizens like you in the world. You did the right thing. :)

Dj_Otaku

10. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

Well to answer one of your questions as to how the parents could do that, they are crazy like you said. There is no rational reason to what they did. And im pretty sure that any judge will see it the same way. Theres just no way that they will get their baby back. And i gotta congratulate you on what you did. If i put myself in the situation that you had, to be honest, im not sure if I would have gone back. However now after reading this theres no way i wouldnt go back. Good job.

11. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

I actually think that your post is interesting and I read all of it. I hope everything will be alright for you.

Anyway, Damn the evil parents. How can some people be such a low life trying to make easy money off of other people. Looks like they weren't concerned of their child at all.

12. Akira

Akira Member

That was pretty sketchy. i was thinking they might've tried to pull a fast one like that seeing as you said they ran around the corner just as you picked up the baby. And then you said they did.

For some reason this whole scenario makes me think of a giant venus fly trap, but instead of sweet honey smelling things, it makes the sound of a crying baby in it's mouth-leaf thing.

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

But did you have a close encounter with a really big, ugly spider? Huh? Didja?? Psh... you got nothin'.

:D

I'm glad the parents got what's coming to them, though. Maybe now the child will get a better home.

And Smeg, that sounds like such overkill it's almost funny. Varying your route and packing a weapon? They're not mobsters. They're lowlife conpeople. Give us a break and lay off the Bond films.

14. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Wow Mixed - that is some very bizarre stuff, and I can totally understand the feeling of surreality.

Well, I'll chime in and say that you did the right thing, and it sounds like you really thought with your head, which is great. Not only did you call the police and therefore had a valid alibi to the accusations, but it would appear that your testimony will be able to get this baby removed from these parents and hopefully placed in a safer environment as a result of it all. I think that any decent person would have done what you did - and I agree with Mac... you should get the award of the day for that.

15. Dj_Otaku

Dj_Otaku IncGamers Member

I'm guessing when you have a wife and family, you might do things that you would normally wouldn't do when your single and don't have lives in your hands. At least that is how I'm taking it from that perspective of Smeg.

Dj_Otaku

16. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I doubt I'll ever go that far. You think I don't have a good number of people who want to see me dead? Nooo... police officers are loved by all... Especially in a society that's bred to be aggressive and who are all armed to the teeth. Extra precaution, yes... but what Smeg suggested just sounded... silly.

17. Riegn

Riegn IncGamers Member

Mixed you have restored some of my faith in humanity. If only more peoplein this world cared as much as you :)

18. Nastie_Bowie

Nastie_Bowie Banned

I don't know where Mixed lives, Ana. If it is LA or NYC or any big city area, It is a bit overkill but definitely not silly. When teenagers pull knifes and guns in a hostile situation, what are criminals going to do? especially if Mixed testifies against them.

Good job Mixed! :thumbsup:

:drink:

19. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Damn! That´s messed up.

I knew you´re a good guy already so I´m not surprised or anything, but still... good work man.

Hope things get better for the kid. :(

20. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Tiny Update:

The parents are both incarcerated for now. The children are taken away from them (there are two other older tykes, 3 and 5 years old, from different men) and investigations are proceeding to have the children permanentely removed. Some abuse is obvious, besides what happened the other night, in all of the children.

And it never hurts to be careful, regardless of where I live. I'm with Ancarta001, though; I'm not going to freak out and overreact.
    Ever since I saw the movie Deliverance, I wanted to drive a razor tip through a lowlife attacker's throat. My bow and I are ready. 'Course, they'll have to wait a bit, patiently, while I string the bow real quick-like and all.