Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My 9800pro fried my comp...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by f3333f, Feb 7, 2004.

1. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

My 9800pro fried my comp...

Ok this thread is kinda a followup to this one>> http://forums.rpgforums.net//showthread.php?t=127621

So i got my card and was happily gaming on it when the power was cut and... well thats it! It's totally dead waaaah. Im on my spare ancient comp right now.
    So what do you guys reckon? I drew too much power and my power supply took it's bat and ball home?
    I know you all warned me and im a bit dumb perhaps but the minimum spec was 300W so i thought it would work.
    Any ideas on what to do next? I tried changing the plug wire so it's not that.

2. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

The minimum spec is 300W, but your overall power consumption may easily be higher than that, especially if you have many optical or HDD, and a high-speed CPU. Really you should have thought of 350W as the minimun, and 450W as recommended.

Anyway, have you tried replacing the Graphics Card with your old one to see if it boots? Similarly, when you turn things on do you get a series of beeps or not, and if you do they should probably correspond to a code in your Mobo manual.

But what ever I suggest here cannot cut it, you really need to get someone in to have a look at it who knows what he/she is doing. That is, unless you want an expensive paperweight in the corner of your room for the foreseeable future.

Good luck!

3. f3333f

f3333f IncGamers Member

Yeah i tried taking the card out but still nothing, well i do get something actually which i might as well mention:
    When i push the power button nothing happens but on the motherboard a tiny little yellow LED lights up which is somewhat strange. I've no idea what it means though.

4. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

Your PSU probably blew a fuse or something if it have fuses, otherwise it's dead. You can buy a new, decent PSU, for about $50.

5. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

could be your psu or motherboard. if you connected the extra 4pin connector into the motherboard, some brands are known to fry with that extra power. and if it was a 300w psu... well, it was prolly the power supply that was overloaded. go with a 400. i usually go with 350 as an absolute minimum for any computer i'm building