Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My 7 character HC Untwinked challange

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by druidkid9, Sep 23, 2006.

1. druidkid9

druidkid9 IncGamers Member

My 7 character HC Untwinked challange

hi all i have decided after reading Milb's Guardin thread to strat the journey of HC for the first time ever. So i have deleted all my characters apart from my sorc because i heard somewhere that before you start HC you need a character who has already completed the game first in SC? So i have decided to go Untwinked because i just dont like spending like 90% of the time i play doing meph/baal/pit runs for 1 item to start a character. So doing Untwinked will open up alot of doors in my gear selection. So lets get started.

Assassin- Now i am thinking of going a trapper because i can easily buy 3 trap claws from Anya and the this build is not really item dependent. Any suggestions for other builds please say.

Druid- This is a hard choice. I am leaning towards a Windy becuase they are quite viable and can inflict large amounts of damage. The downside is they are very item dependent and going Untwinked is hard for me to obtain good enough gear. I am also thinking maybe a summoner or even a shifter not quite sure please suggest some builds for me.

Sorc- This is quite easy for me i am thinking of doing a Blizzballer because i have not done one before and they are comming to fassion around the SPF.

Paladin- Just before i decided to undergo this mission i was in the process of doing a Hammerdin so i may decide to do that again. If there are any other good safe builds which can do quite well please tell me.

Necro- this is quite obvious. A skellimancer. If there are any other good safe builds please tell me.

Barb- this i need help with because there is alot of choices to choose from and i am not quite sure which path to take so please suggest some safe builds that can complete the game Untwinked in HC.

Amazon- This i am looking forward to :). I am not very good with Zons have not made one ever since i played Bnet along time ago. So going Untwinked i am not sure which path to pursue either Bow or Javalins. This i need help on so if any one can suggest some good Untwinked Zon builds for HC it would be great.

The characters i have given are not in order but are really just a starting point. When you are giving me suggestions for builds please take in mind this is all going to be FULLY UNTWINKED AND IN HARDCORE.

PS- I do not do Rwm so only SP runewords and Itmes.

thanks if you respond :thumbsup:
    Dk9

2. Suiling

Suiling Banned

3. druidkid9

thanks suiling but it doesnt look they are Untwinked....?

4. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Brave soul! I like that kind of thinking, although I am currently in the rut of farming pindle for itamz.

As for the assassin, I would challenge you to make a phoenix strike build. This serves to how I envision the assassin as a melee character, not some different version of a lightning sorc. Max phoenix strike and 1 or 2 synergies, and the support skills.

For the amazon, I can comment on this because I got one to level 83 untwinked (before I rediscovered the sorceress LOL). I like the bowazon build. There are quite a few variations on this, but keep the following skills in mind:

Valkyrie - all builds will max this. A superb tank, combined with mercenary means you're pretty safe and can make pincushions out of the enemies while they tank for you. It has surprisingly good defense, damage, resists, regeneration, and life points.

Decoy - some builds will max this (I'm doing it). It makes your valkyrie nearly invincible and gives you a nice scouting/decoy skill to give the enemies an extra target to hit.

Guided Arrow - a very good single target skill. You need to max it to get its energy cost under control. Very nice because it always hits (besides blocking/dodging of course).

Multishot/Strafe - pick one of these and put lots of points into it. Multishot less so, strafe probably needs to be maxed. They are your crowd control. I like strafe personally because the mana cost doesn't go up, the damage does go up, and it can hit the same target over and over if you're lined up just right.

Cold arrow/freezing arrow - some people really like this. I haven't tried it myself, but if you max both you have some mad cold damage to supplement your physical damage. Freezing crowds helps a lot too : )

Always gets pierce, since you're nontwinked and can't rely on finding buriza immediately. Pierce owns crowds, I got it to 50% which is good enough.

The cool thing about the amazon is the flexibility of the build; you don't really have to max any one of these skills except valkyrie. I myself am going decoy/guided arrow/strafe, some people go strafe/penetrate/crit, cold/freezing/penetrate etc. You may find based on your bow/playstyle that you don't need certain skills as much. If you don't need a completely invincible valkyrie, penetrate/crit are great places to spend points.

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

The Blizzball will be extremely safe. Seeing that this is HC and untwinked, I would suggest that you max Blizzard and GlacialSpike (as opposed to IceBlast). You want to survive, and GS allows for that with its group freeze and increased freeze length when maxed. Spam GS in-between Blizzards for optimal effect.

Get Meteor and use it in conjunction with FBall. I've already talked it to death in other threads, but if you need further confirmation, read the original Blizzball guide.

6. druidkid9

thanks guys for the responces so far. Regarding the amazon build if i am going for the bowazon route the problem with that will be a bow. I mean it is really hard to find a decent bow in normal unless i get incredable luck with charsi's imbue quest which i highly dought will happen. So if i am going for a bowazon build what easy way can i obtain a good enough bow for her to be viable and able to kill easily?
    Also my main concern is a build for a druid so if you guys can suggest a build for that i would be greatful.

7. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Yeah a bow was my concern too. If I remember, things were generally sort of slow with good bow finding until late nightmare. You can scrape by though purely based on your act 2 merc and some smart item investments.

There's a good runeword zephyr (ort + eth) that goes into 2 socketed bows, this really helped me out a lot.

+33% Enhanced Damage
    +66 To Attack Rating
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    -25% Target Defense
    +25 Defense
    25% Faster Run/Walk
    25% Increased Attack Speed
    7% Chance To Cast Level 1 Twister When Struck

Eth is laughably easy to get off the countess, ort comes from saving the barb quest or cubing enough rals/tals from the countess (in normal, laughably enough).

Also try to gamble a high lightning damage circlet, I think it's really easy to gamble one early on, I was level 18-20 in act 2 and gambled a +1-110 lightning damage circlet. Big elemental damage helps a lot early in the career when you're still looking for a bow.

Later on I would suggest farming nightmare meph for a buriza if you want to have an easier time in hell. I think it's like 1/600 chance if you have +300% or so MF, not terrible, that's how I found my buriza anyhow. I didn't twink it onto my ama (I even found a couple more buriza when I was farming hell meph with my amazon). Just killing a lot of stuff on later nightmare gives you better base bows for socketing and just better bows in general.

8. druidkid9

I forgot to mention with my characters i will not be investing very long at all doing meph/baal/pit runs at all. The only time i will do some runs is if i am in desperate need of some gear.

I am still deciding which order to make them but i think i will decide 1 at a time. I may be going towards a zon for my first project so some more advice about gear and skills for a zon would be great :)

9. waflob

waflob IncGamers Member

If you're stuck for a pally build, you could try a freezealot. Only have problems with cold and physical immunes. Alternatively, a ranger is fun. Max holy freeze, holy shock, as well as the synergies. Just need a fast bow, as the damage comes from elemental. Any source of pierce is also great. With a good (i.e. act 2) merc, you'll have cold, lite and physical damage, plus whatever extras from equipment / charms. Also, IM is no problem at all.

For a barb, I really like frenzy barbs - also great fun, which is the point, ins't it ?!? You'll wade through any non-physical immunes like a hot knife through butter. Only problem will be physical immunes and the dreaded Iron Maiden. For these, just switch to 'drummer mode' - i.e. 2 wands with high elemental damage.

hth

DelBoy

10. druidkid9

thanks waflob for the advice but i have decided to start my journey with Bowazon of some kind so i would like to focus on that for now.
    i am thinking of a build and just want to know what you guys think of it

20 Freezing arrow
    20 cold arrow
    20 strafe
    20 penetrate??? or Valkyrie??? not sure about that and advice would help

if you could say if it is a good/bad build and also some fariations i would be greatful:thumbsup:

11. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

Definitely get 20 in Valkyrie! You'll wonder how you you lived without her before, she is an awesome tank! She's the one skill I'd max out asap, and probably get strafe as high as you can earlier on too because of its hidden minimum arrows fired (minimum 7 at level 20).

Your build looks good otherwise. Put more points into penetrate much later after you've maxed out the other ones. Don't forget to get some points into piercing.

12. druidkid9

so can someone tell me what my build should look like skill wise. Also i would like to know what order i should max my skills, that would help heaps.

13. druidkid9

ok i have thaught of a build and it will be on the lines of this

20 FA
    20 Cold arrow
    20 Strafe
    17 valk
    10 penentrate
    1 all pre-reqs and any left over into criticle strike

so that is what i will be going for but i cant decide what order to max them should i max strafe first to utilse my killing power? or start investing points into cold arrow then FA followed by strafe i cant figure it out please help me!!!

14. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Looks good to me. I would start with getting strafe to about 15 points. Then 5 points in FA for some punch and some crowd control. Then max valk. Then cold arrow and FA and put two or three points in pierce. FA + pierce = win. You can get through nightmare on strafe alone if you learn to deal with the strafe lock.

And one tip. Save every smallcharm with cold damage. It adds up one second freezing time for every charm. After penalty in hell that means that 8 smallcharms give your FA 2 seconds more freezing time. This is a lifesaver.

15. Spearthrower

Spearthrower IncGamers Member

I am playing untwinked HC as well...... I have pretty much decided to also play only strange variants just to up the ante a little, as well!

Gotta do something to keep the old adrenaline levels pumping!!

For Druid, Werewolves are very viable untwinked! I am just running one through now to open up the HC option (my characters are on a hdd in the UK) and except against Szzark the Burning, havent even come close to dying. That little bastard spider kept taking me down to near death..... but I can still claim to have not heard a death cry yet post 1.09!!! :D

16. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Glad I've inspired someone to start playing HC :cool:

Be careful though as untwinked HC is very different from playing regular SC, you may have to do many runs on bosses on the way to make your chars safe in Hell. You'll find you have a lot less life than a twinked char and you will be quite fragile most of the time.

A couple of build suggestions:

Amazon - I personally wouldn't make an untwinked strafer - you need a good bow and lots of IAS - neither of which are easy to find. I would make a LF / CS / FA Zon. Very damaging without good gear, and much safer than a strafer. Check out Nightfish's guide for advice there but I would recommend using a Valk - he doesn't.

Barb - I would make a Berserker, a Concentrater or a Frenzy Barb. All these builds are relatively safe, and with good use of Warcries (Taunt, Howl and Warcry) you won't get hit much.

Paladin - As mentioned before - a Holy Freeze Pally is good untwinked, a lot safer than most other Pally builds as it has crowd control.

Hope this helps :smiley:

17. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

Go for a LF/FA zon instead of the strafer. If you decide to Opt with Valk it will be a very safe build, if you go for CS you get more versatility -- boss killing and a stronger LF.

18. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

i'm playing an untwinked strafer right now in early parts of normal just killed duriel in fact and i'm going very bear minimum in bow skills here's what i have decided to do

1 in pre req for strafe
    6 into strafe to get 10 arrows
    1 in fa

and i'm going to have a fully synergized valk

20 decoy
    20 valk
    4 d/a/e
    6 penetrate
    7 pierce
    8 critical strike

mainly just making a tankazon with bow skills as a back up i think it's a very safe build and can get you through anything in the game especially with a few cold charms that will give you crowd control with strafe and knockback gloves and slows them down aswell so you wont see your enemies and you'll shatter alot of them and if you have a might merc you can get alot of damage done aswell

19. druidkid9

thanks guys this helps heaps. I guess your right about going untwinked with a strafer it may become to hard for me play with so with that in mind i will play a LF/CS/FA zon first i have to find a guide and read up.

thanks for the awesome comments keep them rolling :)

edit- i just read most of Nightfish's guide and the build recommends
    20 LF
    20 CS
    20 Fa
    20 cold arrow

could i maybe take 10 points off cold arrow and put them points into valK? or just totally leave out cold arrow and max valk?.

1 more thing should i run the game with p/8 in normal p/8 in NM and p/1 in hell or just all p/1 to make it simple???

20. NacRuno

NacRuno IncGamers Site Pal

I am currently working on a LF/FA zon and she is doing great so far. I didn't invest any points in valk as Nightfish suggested and didn't need to, but as you are doing HC you might put one point there. About taking points from cold arrow, here are the numbers for FA damage with no +skill and +6 bow skills;

20FA/1CA = 347-358; 490-501
    20FA/10CA = 682-704; 963-985
    20FA/20CA = 1054-1088; 1489-1523

As you see you will definately want to put at least 10 points in CA, i advise maxing it but having never played HC, i don't know how much better valk can save your *** with extra hard points for her.

As for your player setting question, playing normal at /p8 will definately make your game simpler than /p1. You will gain experience faster and you will reach skill limit levels faster (6/12/18..) making game easier for you. You will deal more than enough damage with those skill even with a cracked javalin anyways. Play nightmare to your taste, you can play /p8 up to act 4 and than switch to /p1. That works fine with my untwinked, no so powerful chars.

Have fun with the zon:wink:...