Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My 3 year old broke a window

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kobold, Sep 16, 2006.

1. kobold

kobold Banned

My 3 year old broke a window

:cry:

This was in a lovely old door with nine panes of glass, the center one being the main one (approx 1' x 4'), surrounded by eight other smaller panes. She threw a ball through it.

Never having removed/replaced a single pane of glass in a door like this, I'm open to suggestions. I'd prefer to keep the door, I like it. My problem is to figure out how to gently remove the trim around the broken pane that is holding the glass in place.

As a side note, no one got hurt in the making of this thread. I was at work at the time. My wife was pretty close to tanning her little butt for doing so, but, kids do some pretty stupid things at times.

Thoughts/suggestions/beer?

2. Johnny

Johnny Banned

usualy the glass is attached with a thick paste like material. Here we call it "skitt" pronounced "****"

So you carve that away with a knife then take out the glass and put in new glass then put in new skitt around the edges.

I have no idea what the english word for it is.

Just hire a window painter for it. They can usualy solve it.

3. kobold

kobold Banned

Unfortunately, this one is held in by small strips of wood trim, nicely put in place, bevelled, etc. etc.

I was hoping that it would be putty, but no luck.

4. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

if you take it in to a glass shop they will just butcher the trim...they figure a putty knife and a hammer is the best way to remove trim...chances are the trim is held in place with small finishing nails...if you can, slide all the glass out...this should give you some room to work the trim back and forth with your fingers...it may take about a half an hour but eventually you should be able to work the nails loose...you might be tempted to use a screwdriver or a putty knife...don't you will mess up the trim or you might even split it....you should only have to remove two pieces...a side piece and a top piece...have another piece of glass cut to size and slide it in.