Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My #16 Patriarch: Smips, 'Bramble' Poisonmancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Greebo, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

My #16 Patriarch: Smips, 'Bramble' Poisonmancer

Let me start by saying, he's named after Smips, who generously gave me a Death's Web. It belongs to jdkerr now, since I managed to trade for one with dryzalizer, but I got through 95% of the game using the one which used to belong to Smips. Also, I got the awesome circlet from CM's giveaway, through Nagisa. So to sum it up:

Thanks to Smips, CorruptedMollusk, Nagisa and dryzalizer! One way or the other, this character wouldn't be possible without all of you.

He's quite the cookie-cutter. I tried a somewhat unusual gear set-up and ended up being somewhat disappointed in it.

-----

The Idea: Make a Poisonmancer, but use 'Bramble' for extra damage (instead of 'CoH' or 'Enigma'). As an alternative for transportation speed and safety, use high amount of FRW (I ended up with 83%, without using 'Harmony').

Smips, Level 83 Necromancer
    Code:
    Str 103/103   
    Dex  25/ 25   
    Vit 352/352
    Ene  25/ 25

Life 1,752
    Mana   587
    (after Battle Orders)

Resistances: 75/46/75/75

LCS highlights:
      -------
      Displayed Damage: 11,545-11,915 over 2.00 seconds =  5,865 DPS
      Actual Damage:    35,098-36,222 over 3.04 seconds = 11,730 DPS
      (including -ePR% and Lower Resist)
      +82% Poison Damage
      -53% Enemy Poison Resistance (from gear)
      -61% Enemy Poison Resistance (from Lower Resist)
       77% FCR for the 10-frame cast
      -------
      Defense 1.4k
      FHR 65% [7 frames @ 56%, I miscalculated]
      FRW 83%

Skills
    Poison Nova 20 [39], Synergies 40
    Corpse Explosion 16+ [35]
    Lower Resist 2 [16], 1pt in all other curses
    Fire Golem 1 [14]

Gear
    Weapon: Death's Web (1/45, socketed with +5/-4 facet)
    Shield: Boneflame ('Um', +3 Necro Skills, 52 ResAll, 30 FRW)
    Switch: beta-'Call to Arms', Lidless Wall
    -----
    Head: Rare Circlet (+2 Necro, 20 FCR, 30 FRW, 40 Life, +4/-4 facet)
    Armor: 'Bramble' (+48% Poison damage)
    Gloves: Trang's Gloves
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: Rare (30 FRW, 30% FireRes, 40% LightRes)
    -----
    Amulet: Crafted (17% FCR, +1 Necro Skills, 19 ResAll)
    Rings: 2x Stone of Jordan
    -----
    Charms:
    6 plain Fungal Skillers
    3x Shimmering SC (one of Balance), 2x Amber SC (one of Inertia, one of Balance), 1x Ruby SC of Balance

Comments on gear:
    I wanted to use 'Bramble' and have high resistances. Which is why I went with Boneflame, and stuck an 'Um' in it. The 30 FRW on it was a nice bonus. Plus, it's not often you get +3 Skills off a shield. The circlet and amulet fit perfectly into this particular setup. For MFing, I'll put 'Enigma' instead of 'Bramble', lose quite a lot of FHR, resistances and damage, and gain MF. 50 FHR on 'Bramble' is awesome, it'll be a pain to replace it.

Moron
    Act 2 Prayer
    'Insight' in a 1.07 eth Thresher
    'Fortitude', Vamp Gaze ('Um')

Overall
    Fun: 7/10
    Difficulty: 4/10 (places like Frozen Tundra, 4th wave of Baal)
    Future: The Pits, with my newly made 'Enigma'.

Thoughts and musings
    I planned for this guy to have ridiculous damage (achieved) and great mobility by running fast. It kind of worked, but this setup has enormous drawbacks.

First of all, if you're running really fast, the moron and the golem are staying behind you most of the time, and only catch up after about a second after you stop. During that time, you're pretty much screwed.

Other thing is, for Poison Nova to work at it's best, you need to stand in the middle of the pack of monsters. Basically, this spell is designed for teleport. Teleport into the pack of monsters (and this is crucial) with the golem and moron to take the heat off you, cast spells, retreat. Wait 1.5-2 seconds, stuff dies. Doesn't work so well with running, at all.

Also, Boneflame has CtC Terror on striking. It probably saved Smips' life tens of times, which was kind of neat. I think I only died once or twice in NM. But it has the additional effect of overriding LR, which can be a bit annoying at times. Great for questing, not so nice for MFing.

One thing that did go fairly well, was running around while Poison did it's work. This guy is so fast, stuff rarely hits him. Together with 1.7k life, it's hard to kill him when he's on the move.

Overall, 'Bramble' on a Poisonmacer is OK for questing and can be fun. For running a target, especially The Pit, get 'Enigma'. The only way to run The Pit efficiently is TP. And running ahead of your troops into packs of archers... Not recommended.

He was pretty lucky with Hellforges (?/Um,Ist), and almost had a great drop in the WSK. Here's Smips fighting Baal.

Thanks for reading!
    --Greebo

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Re: My #16 Patriarch: Smips, 'Bramble' Poisonmancer

Nicely done! Sounds like a nice circlet there, wow. Are there any unbreakable poison immunes with that level of Lower Resist?

3. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

wtf? There's a unique Avenger Guard in that screenshot. But to my knowledge, there isn't one?

4. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

@helvete: that avenger guard looks yellow on my screen, I think those are all rares.

5. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a very nice circlet and simply made for this particular incarnation of Poisonmacer. I got it from CM's giveaway.

Most annoying unbreakable monsters were witches in Frozen Tundra, Achmel (who kept resurrecting OKs in the Throne Room) and the entire Wave 4. Other than that, I don't recall any danger coming from a non-broken monster.

As purplelocust said, all 5 yellow-ish items in the drop were Rare. I'm not sure why the color of the 4 of them seems a little darker.

If I were to guess, it's because of the background? There's this animation of the floor disintegrating, which I think only occurs on the 1st Baal kill (not sure about that one). The color of the floor is darker in that particular place, bacause of the animation.

--Greebo

6. Baltha

Baltha IncGamers Member

Congrats!

I'm thinking about building a poisonmancer myself to make him a dedicate Pit Runner. I have Enigma, but not Death's Web. Do you think he could outrun an Infinity Lit Sorc?

7. MizzouFTW

MizzouFTW IncGamers Member

Congratulations.

I myself have always been a fan of the novamancer since 1.10. I do not see them often, but I am glad that others enjoy them as much as I do.

8. Klonki

Klonki IncGamers Member

This is candy for my eyes, really. :) Such a hot circlet as well!

9. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Baltha: It would be a close race. It depends how well you can manage the characters as well, so try them out. :)

Greebo: Nicely done! Hope your runs in the Pit work out for you. Aside from 'Enigma' over 'Bramble', do you have any other changes in mind? 'Spirit' was a very nice option from my experience, though it doesn't seem too popular a choice around these parts.

10. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

Thanks!

Well, I don't have 'Infinity', and I've never made a CL or Lightning sorceress. It depends on the setup. The Pit does have LI monsters, but doesn't have PI's. Depending on how much -eLR you have, it could go either way. Anyway, as Nagisa says, depends on you style of play.

Thanks!

It's a very powerful character, but it needs really specific items to really, really shine. It's why it's easier to play other builds.

Thanks! Can't take the credit for finding the circlet (CM deserves that), but I'll happily take credit for using it.

Thanks and thanks!

So far I switched 'Enigma' for 'Bramble', 50MF War Travs for the Rare Boots and played around with charms, adding Gheeds, resistances and FHR. I threw out a skiller, the cube and TP book.

I thought about 'Spirit' a lot, actually. I'm still not sure about whether I'm making the right call not using it.

A comparison table:
    Code:
             |'Spirit' | Boneflame |
    --------------------------------
    FCR      |      35 |         0 |
    FHR      |      55 |         0 |
    Resist   | 35 C/L/P|       @52 |
    +Skills  |      +2 |        +3 |
    Str req  |     156 |        95 |

My thoughts:
    - I could go for 125 breakpoint. But to reach that breakpoint I need to change way more than the shield. I need to either wear two FCR rings, or one ring and find 20 FCR Necro crafted amulet. I doubt anyone will trade one (or even have one) and I'm not going to craft one myself (the game never gives what you need). The bottom line: I would lose two SoJ's, which means overall change of -3 Skill. (That is 37 instead of 40)
    - So I'm staying with 75 FCR. That means, 'Spirit', Trangs and Arachnid Mesh get me there by themselves. I could do something else for Circlet and Amulet. But the two that I have a pretty awesome. What can I wear to beat them? I guess +3 P&B Circlet of [something awesome, not FCR] with 2os filled with... Topazes or Facets? And a +2 Necro amulet with high resistances? That might work, I'll think about it. But I don't think I have such amulet.
    - I'm already a bit low on Fire Res, and wearing 'Spirit' won't help me there much.
    - I got 30 FHR from charms and don't really need more.
    - I am a bit short on resistances
    - 156 Strength will seriously cut down my Life (by like 300 at least, I'm at 2.2k atm).

So yeah, I'll pass on 'Spirit' for now, but I may revisit it later.
    --Greebo

11. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Hey! It's a necro, but one I like. Still waiting to find that elusive golden Unearthed Wand before building one of these. Sweet character you got there, Greebo. Congratulations :thumbup:

Btw: lovely circlet!

12. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

It's your character to build as you please, but I can't help it. :p

1) What are resistances? From the MFO, I can tell you that any and all deaths were physical damage related (ie. ridiculous archers). I understand if you feel comfortable having them above the Mendoza line, but it isn't necessary with that much life.

2) Your rare amulet and circlet are frankly mediocre in comparison with [insert amulet of choice, rare/magic with MF or Mara's] and Harlequin Crest on a build that already has its FCR fitted. Hard to say no to huge MF, +ALL skills (helpful for BO), and life/mana.

3) 'Spirit' gives way for MF charms instead of FHR, while also providing useful life/mana (and an additional skill on switch).

4) You lose a maximum of 54 vitality when shooting for 156 and swapping in Harlequin Crest Mara's, and 'Spirit', which translates to 108 life (200 after your assumed level 18 BO). Swapping in Harlequin Crest, Mara's, and 'Spirit' grants a net 142 non-BO'able life, as well as an extra 15% of your base from Battle Orders. That implies a total life loss of 15 at level 83 by switching setups, the exact same damage, significantly greater MF, mana, and FHR, and semi-significantly worse resistances. Your call from here.

13. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Gee, I wasn't expecting to log in and see a character named after me :p. Grats on the Pat and I'm glad to see you got good use out of the DWeb(well, except for that last 5% ;))

14. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

I built one of these using the full Trang's Set, always wondered how Bramble would play. I think you're right that the ability to teleport is key, when I made mine I also invested in skeletons and clay golem to keep all enemies from getting to my vamp. The novas worked well under those conditions, and I even had a firewall backup. It was an easy walk to Baal on /players 8, but it certainly was a walk rather than a run.

Congrats, always glad to see someone making good use of Death's Web!

15. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

You're not a fan of Necro's? I didn't know. I got DW free, then traded for one, which I imagine is not nearly as satisfying as finding one yourself.

Thanks! I agree, it is an amazing circlet.

I was hoping you wouldn't. I'll gladly take advice from you when it comes to running The Pit.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's a pet peeve of mine.

You know, I didn't even consider Shako. It's so ugly on Sorc and a Zon, that I woved to never use it again on those classes. But I don't mind how it looks on a Necro.

You're right. I just didn't consider the benefits of Shako well enough. I think I'll give this a shot.

Well, I did warn you about it! You can't say I didn't! Sure, it was months ago, still, I've got an alibi. Thanks for the wand. It was awesome to play this char.

Basically, TP + PN means this character is a Canon. A bit like Nova Sorc, but with built in solution against the immunes, plus additional minion. He is unstoppable and extremely fast with 'Enigma'.

Then there is the setup without 'Enigma' which is a more typical Necro setup, with a mass of bodies around you, slowly going, very safe, using curses a lot, etc. Those are really two different builds.

I tried to hybridize these two setups. It worked OK, but nothing to write guides about.

Thanks! It's an awesome stick.

--Greebo

16. pdkraker

pdkraker IncGamers Member

Why dont you use a 2 socket 15% dr Crown of ages? you get 20-30 res plus 1 to skils..

Also, instead of putting all those pts into vit, why dont you get a 5/5 die psn facet ss monarch? you can put mb on the necro. This way you can own all melee chars in pvp as well as almost never dying in pvm..

just my two cents. I love poisonmancers and thats the gear I have on mine. I never die in pvm, dont even have a merc, just the fire golem...plus if you put enough points into golem mastery they have SUPER fast run/walk speed.

Like you I use bramble instead of nigma, I love it. However, without the tele max block helps out a lot. Give it a go and tell me what you think

17. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

First off, nice thread necro ;). It's a common practice on this forum to only reply to fairly new Mat/Pat threads.

For MFing my final setup ended up being
    Death's Web (Ist), 'Spirit', beta-CtA on switch
    Shako (PTopaz), 'Enigma', AM, Trang's Gloves, WarTravs (50)
    Mara's (I think), 2x SoJ
    Skillers, Gheeds, res/mf charms

My resistances took significant dip, but that was fine for the Pits. There's no way that 'Bramble' Poisonmancer would ever run The Pit in a more efficient manner than one based on 'Enigma'. It can't be done.

As for my questing gear, it was based on FRW. So that's why this circlet was awesome, and I'd take it over CoA in a heartbeat if I were to do it again. Plus CoA has rlvl of like 83. Hardly fit for questing. Or anything for that matter, because of rlvl. As far as the Shield goes, again, it was about FRW. I messed up my math in this thread, but it was at 93% I think. That's faster than maxed Vigor Paladin who wears only 30 FRW boots for speed.

The theme of this build was 'Bramble'+FRW. So Boneflame wins over 'Spirit' by like a lot.

Anyway, thanks for your comments,
    --Greebo