Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

My 15 minutes of D2 glory

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by AnInsaneBanana, Sep 11, 2006.

1. AnInsaneBanana

AnInsaneBanana IncGamers Member

My 15 minutes of D2 glory

So I'm in the chat, and this guy is saying he is gonna give away free items and possibly his account.

I think he is joking, because most "account giveaways" are total scams. So I'm just talking with the guy, and he says he doesnt play non-ladder anymore so he's giving away the char. Turns out he was serious. He whispers me the username and password. I log on, it works!

The only char is a level 83 fire sorc with full tals, Gheed's, lidless, 2 nagels, and half an inventory of mfsc.

I basically crap my pants at this point. As I have just restarted, I only have one char, on ladder. So I log off the sorc account to make a non-ladder char to xfer the items to and look for a game to xfer in in normal.

I find it, and when I try and log back on the sorc account the username/password doesnt work for the account anymore! I add the account to my friends list, and I /f list 'd it occasionaly during that night to see if it logged on again.

Oh well.

2. roomba

roomba IncGamers Member

Well, does the account log on?

3. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

Sounds like your guy changed his mind...just like how you changed the thread title. :tongue:

4. gorash

gorash IncGamers Member

well most ppl i know wont give their acct away as they may want to keep it still. just get rid of whats in there :p

5. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

It may not be self-evident at first sight, but this guy probably tried to scam you. This trick is probably one of the most risky for the scammer, but in the end it can be really devastating, since he will get all your stuff, chars and account if he succeeds.

1. Make an account with password recovery through email.
    2. Put some crap on it (here a NL tal rasha set), but good enough to make sure that there's a fair chance that the victim will actually use this account.
    3. Give account/password to the victim.
    4. Wait some hours/days/months.
    5. Recover the password using the dedicated email procedure.
    6. Log into your former account and grab all the stuff that the guy has stockpiled in it in hours/days/months.
    7. And I'm not even talking about accounts created with CD-keys subject to muting/banning. You never know what's been made with this account.

Now, how to prevent this :

1. As soon as someone gives you an account, mule all the stuff on a NEWER account, that you've created yourself.
    2. To do so, make a game, wait 5 minutes, and proceed to mule all the stuff (don't forget switch + hireling equipment). Yes it's risky, but if you're fast enough, the stuff won't be lying for a long time on the ground. Don't try to sort out anything, you'll do that later.
    3. Create a temporary account on your own, note the account name and password on a paper (because you're likely to forget it, in the hurry of the transfer...), create random mules on it and grab all the stuff back.
    4. If you're paranoid, delete all the empty chars. Otherwise, check for some Larzuk/Hellforge quests that may still be available on these chars.

On the other side, maybe this guy just changed his mind, because in this very case, he let you access his account for a very short amount of time :scratch:...

- Frosty

6. Immortal_King

Immortal_King IncGamers Member

Also, there are people out there that use the same password for everything... Now just imagine you changed the new accounts password and he gets it back through email procedure and tries it on your original account... You get the idea.

7. ubermoose

ubermoose IncGamers Member

Maybe he gave the password to more people than just you? And one of the other people changed it.

8. HardyTarget

HardyTarget IncGamers Member

That's what I was thinking as well when I read his post.

He probably whispered more than one person and whoever got there first got the stuff.
    in this case, you were the first but didn't change the pass so someone else claimed the goodies.